Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australia to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I love those early morning atmospheric :cam: My favorite time of the day.

Lovely again. It is always so special traveling with people who have enthusiasm. 8)

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:55 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
impyim

What a great start to the day you all had :dance: ...Lovely early misty morning shots. :clap: :clap:

Stunning :cam: of all the feathered friends. :thumbs_up:

Thanks for sharing :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
impyim, I cannot believe that time went so quickly as I last posted something on your great TR on the 10 Dec'13. :dance:

The important thing is that I managed to catch up on all your excellent and special moments. Thank you for sharing them and really enjoyed the stories and the pics. :clap: :clap:

Also glad you managed to spend a bit of time at one of m special places - Lake Panic. :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mourse - Yes the early morning when its all foggy are very atmospheric looking.

I've just realized Trrp-trrrrrrr that your name is probably the noise that the woodland kingfisher makes.

Kaapsedraai - sometimes time flies esp. when we have the festive season. AT least you read my TR and gave me input.

To continue -

We drove along the road to Tshokwane - the girls spotted everything. I wasn't sure which of the antelope family this one was - I thought a bush buck or a duiker, but I could be wrong -

The first waterhole we came to we found these dwarf mongoose sunning themselves and running about - they are so cute - unless you're a beetle of course.

We called in at the next waterhole and these two lovely giraffe were coming in for a drink - they were very wary (naturally) The scene was really gorgeous with the impala and a woolly-necked stork was an added bonus

Also another lovely view of impala, warthog and another woolly necked stork - a bit further away at the same waterhole -

We sat for ages watching the waterhole - saw lots of little blue waxbills in the mud. They're hard to spot at first as we always looked at the bigger animals.

Back on the main road we came across another ground hornbill - I think I saw about 16 all told on the trip. These's something about them that's very appealing - I'm not sure why because they're really quite mean and ugly looking. Maybe its the eyelashes that softens everything else.

We tried to go to Leeupan but were stopped by the same big bull elephants blocking the way. The destruction that the elephants was really awful. Nearly all the trees on the road in had some sort of damage - other that the huge trees.

On the way out we came across a bird I hadn't been able to identify before - I think a southern white crowned shrike -

At one of the waterholes we also saw this young nyala bull -

We eventually got to Tshokwane where we stopped and had an early lunch - watching the vervets in the trees and and starlings -

and took a photo of this flower (which I think is the flower of the sausage tree) - they're very striking -

We eventually decided we'd better start back to Skukuza - but I'll continue with that another day.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:30 am 

FAC Member (2013)
impyim wrote:
I've just realized Trrp-trrrrrrr that your name is probably the noise that the woodland kingfisher makes.

:thumbs_up: :dance:

Impyim, I just love sitting at a water hole and observe all the coming and going of the animals. :mrgreen:

Those Dwarf mongoose is so cute...so enjoy watching them. :clap: :clap:

*sigh* another great day you had in the Park. :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:10 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I think your first picture is a bushbuck. It looks like bushbuck horns. They are really such beautiful creatures.

I always enjoy the dams and waterholes on this route. You have a marvelous array of animals. It is also lovely to know that there are so many ground hornbills around.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
:clap: :D Super sightings, I also enjoy spending time at water holes, anything can arrive at any time , its also relaxing just sitting , listening and watching :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Impyim, love your water hole episode! Great variety of birds and animals and you managed to squeeze in a flower too :dance: Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:36 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
We also spotted these little birds on the ground - I think they're a quail but please help with ID.

Your little birdies are Crested Francolins impyim :thumbs_up: .

Beautiful sightings all around :dance: :dance: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
impyim, waterholes always hold some surprises....just need time and patience. :thumbs_up:

Lovely pics of your sightings and nice flower as well. :clap:

Great TR, look forward to next episode. :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:26 pm 

Gorgeous mongoose and beautiful nyala :thumbs_up:

Thanks so much impyim :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Lots of awesome sightings Impyim! Your pictures are all superb! I love the little Mongoose! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

How special to spend the day with your granddaughter and her friend. It's useful to have fresh young eyes on board.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:02 am 
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi impyim :D :D

Really enjoyed catching up on your TR :thumbs_up:

Had a little giggle to myself about your grand-daughters driving instructions - forward, back, no forward, a bit to the left.... :lol: :lol:
I did the same thing to my Dad :D

Fabulous sightings you all shared together and looking forward to more :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to all of you who take the time to comment on my trip report.

To continue -

We left Tshokwane with the idea that we should get back to Skukuza with not so many detours.

Well we just had to see if we could get to Leeupan this time (after being stopped by elephant roadblocks the last 3 times I had tried).

We slowly drove down the road into the pan. The damage to the tress from the elephants had to be seen to be believed. As it was so dry and leafless everywhere else in the vicinity I guess the elephants don't venture far from the pan - hence all the tree damage.

We sat at the pan and watched these elephants for ages. When I'm the driver I like to keep an eye on all the elephants that wander away from the main herd - just to make sure they aren't coming too close - a bit paranoid I know, or maybe just respectful of their size etc.

It must have been the afternoon for elephants - we had at least 2 road blocks of them and waited patiently while they crossed. At one of the large granite outcrops they were grazing at the base of all the rocks where there was greenery.

We were just about back to camp and had sort of got into the mid afternoon 1/2 asleep mode when we saw this large grey animal about 15 ft from the car.

I've always wanted a photo of a large animal in the rear view mirror so this was my opportunity (taken by my G'daughter from the passengers side.

We got back to Skukuza (about 3.30) and on the way to our chalet saw my SO driving the G'daughters car coming towards us. To say that he was worried/ furious/ upset was an understatement. He presumed that we would be back for lunch as we hadn't taken much food with us. He was worried that something had happened to us - forgetting that we could buy food at Tschokwane.
We hadn't meant to worry him and didn't realize how long we had been - you know how it is when out looking for animals.!!!!!!

We all had a lovely BBQ (braai) together and hit the sack early.

Next day -

We were (SO and myself) on our way to Lower Sabie and our G'daughter and her friend were going to Berg en Dal, so we said our goodbyes and left each other. We had had such a lovely few days together.

we decided to head down the Malelane road turn left towards the Stephenson-Hamilton and head across the S21 (N'Watimhiri Rd). It was a very quiet road for animals and also very corrogated and dusy. We didn't see hardly anything until we came within view of the H$ 1 at the Sabie River.

Well we saw heaps of elephants and general game all along the river. A welcome sight after so much dust. The views along that bit of the road across the river are just wonderful.

We found our chalet - which whilst not right on the river front still had great views across to the river.
We sat and watched all the goings on from our front porch.

A little watercolour of our Chalet (no. 25).

We decided to have a walk around the grounds looking at birds and arrived at the restaurant (for an icecream). While we were sitting looking over the river there were about 5 buffalo grazing on the elephant grass right in front of the restaurant.

We went for a drive to Sunset Dam (of course) and just sat soaking up the sights and sounds of the evening. I just loved watching all the interaction at the dam and felt too lazy and at peace so that I couldn't even be bothered taking photo's

We sat there for ages and eventually decided that to head back and have an early evening meal at the restaurant.
While we were eating it there was great excitement at the railing. Two lionesses were stalking the buffulo. The buffalo seemed to be unaware of the lioness" and continued grazing. After watching for ages - we thought there might have been a bit of action - we finished our meal and wandered around the grounds looking for owls (none)

An early night (again). Really looking forward to the next few days as we've been to LS before and
always had great sightings.

The plan tomorrow was to head towards Mlondozi dam. To be continued.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next