MxM's solo photographic and birding tour. KTP, Oct/Nov. '13

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: KTP - a solo photographic and birding tour

Unread postby MxM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Day 8 continued...

Having spent some time at CQ, once all the action had left, as I was planning on spending the next entire morning there, I decided to rather go somewhere else for the last part of the afternoon - so I left the afternoon parking of CQ, turned left and went one waterhole north, to Kwang, where the desert stretched for miles allowing me to spot any approaching subject long before it got to me. I wanted to do this as I could then get some shots of the excitement walking towards the water and while it came get some wider and some closer shots, variety and all you see. Then, hopefully, the lion and his harme would come and drink at the water before some unplanned action. Okay, so it was a little bit of a dream, but so far my dreams had mostly been met. First though, I had to wait for the action, accompanied by some raptors.

This careful emblem of SA was a little rude towards the water, or excited, not sure which.

Sometimes I like to play with depth of field to tell a story and give a different perspective to other previously seen images. Here is an example of the idea failing, but nonetheless the idea is one to try.

Sometimes interaction is good, sometimes a clean portrait is good. Here, owing to the pose of the portrait, I actually prefer it. The crows add to the one image but the lack of strong emotion makes it more busy than interesting, to me anyhow.

And then, since I go on shift in 2 hours and may be working in the same rain as last night, since it may be cold and the wind annoying, since I will be doing the same type of inspections tonight as I did last night and will be doing for the next 10 days or so, here is an image that was silly to take but for some reason put a smile on my face. Come on, this guy is really trying out there...

Have a safe and fun day all

John
Moments by Mullineux Photography
Photographer, nature lover, birder

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby MxM » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:36 am

Day 8 continued...

Here are just a few more shots towards the end of the day. This must have been one of the few times that I did not get that big a reward for some patience. Well, I did get some practice and got to enjoy some quiet.

This slow shutter baby springbuck running is good because its face is so sharp, but the shadows at the top are distracting. It is only recently that I got to find just how valuable a good background is - not only soft and without distraction, but colours and shades in the background should ensure that the subject maintains the focus of the viewer. Or something like that. The second of the images is less good owing to its lack of sharpness, but see how much easier it is to keep looking at the subject? Well, it is that way for me.

Here I tried to create a contrast in size between the adults and young one, it is sort of there, but the little guy does not stand out strongly enough, so this is more just a picture of some springbuck now. That said, it is fun to just look at some springbuck. Although one needs to look for a special image while in the field, just watching the animals is fun - partly for the anticipation for that hoped-for image, but largely for just being able to look at nature in nature.

This is just cute, not really much else.

Well, there was something special in the day. I had seen a greater kestrel come in and focused on it, waiting for it to take off and come closer to the water. I got three images, two in focus, but this one stood out to me as the wings are nicely open (this not only shows the underwing pattern and detail but also makes the bird larger in the frame which hides that fact that it was so far away, even for a very long lens). This was the third greater kestrel I spotted on my trip, but the only one that flew and the only that I saw in acceptable light. The rocks and the water add a sense of place rather than another bird flying in a blue sky. Anyhow, tracking these fast birds from a beanbag from along way off in the hot afternoon was an achievement I felt, so I was pleased. Raptors are always special, and finally I have a shot of this speckled friend that I liked.

And then I went back to camp. Nossob's shop provided me with a cheap cold fizzy juice of odd brand, pineapple flavour I think. I checked out the hide for a while. At one point I was certain I saw a new interesting bird, but no, it was a dove, hehe, how often does that happen...

I was placed in the same chalet as before - this suited me as I liked it the first time. I packed out all the stuff I had been lugging around. All the cameras were placed on their own bed. One lens at a time made its way to my lap where I cleaned each: first I blew off all excess dust with a special air blower (hehe, a baby booger remover from the pharmacy) then I gently clothed off the dust then I sprayed on my special lens cleaner (solvent in a spray bottle I got at my optometrist) then I wiped off the lens with a different special fibre cloth (also from my optometrist). Now all the kit was ready, but I had to decide how to combine lenses and cameras before heading out to CQ the next morning. I decided that the main choice 1DmkIV (high frame rate and amazing AF system) would be paired with the 500 f4 (with no 1.4x) and I would park further away - I would have preferred to park closer and have a 400 lens, but hey, we cant have everything. Knowing what the game plan was for the next day, I ate some supper, took a shower and listened to the sounds of nature in the wilderness while my wet towel kept me cool.

Peace again, each night brought peace, as only the desert can.

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby MxM » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:27 pm

11.9. Day 9 – Sunrise to sunset magic, just magic

Distance covered: 93 km
Route travelled: Visited various waterholes north of Nossob
Daily fuel consumption: 8.6 l/100km
Maximum temperature: unknown
Food: not much; something from a tin for supper nut forgot to pack biscuits or something for the car
Highlights spotted: honey badger, brown hyena, the CQ legend, close encounter with Kalahari scrubrobin
Favourite moment: perfect photo op with a brown hyena
Birding lifers: none
List of birds for this trip: three-banded plover

Return to “Travel Tales”