• Jumper cables
• Tow-rope
• Spare battery
• Spare key
• Pressure gauge
• Note on how to override low tyre pressure warning on dash
• Check car jack and spanners

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Post subject: Re: KTP - a solo photographic and birding tour
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, I have just finished my ranking system for the 2 towns where I may sleep over (depends on the light conditions, road conditions and traffic to where I can get before needing to rest for the night). So happy. Have ordered all places from favourite to least with notes on cost, address, ease of finding (will not have my trusty navigator, the SO), CC facilities, whether food can be prepared for supper by the guest house, safe parking, etc. Yeay. Now I can just say which of the 2 stops I will use and the SO will start phoning from the top to book the best place of that town.

23 days people, planning is everything!

4.8. Other – in with the rest or loose
• Pillow
• Toilet paper
• Head lamp
• Small bowl for water for birdies
• Stuff for charity drive
o Clothes
o Magazines
o Other? Still trying to get info on what else is desired???
• 4 lb hammer
• Duct tape
• Crow bar
• Hacksaw
• Pliers
• Biltong knife
• Plug sharer
• 2 prong adapter
• Blitz
• Matches
• PnP packets
• Ziplock bags for shoes
• Tabard
• Sunscreen
• Aftersun
• Getaway/GO!/Wild magazines
• Pig that wants to be eaten
• Crosswords/sudoku/puzzles
• Pens
• 2x bird books
• Sleeping bag

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just noted the large pile of special nougat my mother bought for me earlier the year, it made me think, what else am I looking forward too:
Nougat on the road (yes, I really like this nougat)
Stopping for a leg stretch on a long road at a decent petrol stop with a view - will need to buy an ice-cream.
Sitting at cubitjie quab waiting for the jackals to chase the birdies
Spotting a real Kalahari lion
Seeing the extent of the falls in Augrabies (especially after the rain the last week up here)
Watching a sunset at Grootkolk
Watching birds around a small bowl of water at Grootkolk
Going on a night drive at Nossob
Going on a morning walk at TR
Spotting a fawn-coloured lark, gian eagle-owl, pygmy falcon and sociable weavers (easy in KNP, but I don't have them)
ID'ing my bird pics each evening
Game biltong
A meal at a SANParks restaurant
Sitting at the Nossob hide - of for nothing else, it will make viewing the webcams later more fun

I am less looking forward to:
mosquitos
bees
lonely drive back from Augrabies to Secunda, in one day, it is seriously FAR

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Got the monopod I was looking for, spare SD cards (nice 600x ones, nice special this weekend!). O, and the 6d - yeay. Now I have the equipment I need for the trip. Testing the 6D this afternoon.

20 days people, time must now go. Carefully reading the trip reports of others that have been there recently.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Finished my test of my new 6D today. Happy with high ISO performance (3200 compares to 400 on 1D4!) and overall IQ. Got to learn how better to use the simpler autofocus (quite slow in comparison to a 1D4 - no surprise). Is a really nice light body! I plan on writing a practical review (low in normal figures, more real world use, especially from a car or morning walk, perspective) after my KTP trip, will better feel what it does by then.

Also got a monopod, going to need to learn some new technique here, feels weird to me still (somehow not the halfway between handheld and tripod as I was expecting). Also got 2 new 32 GB cards, so have enough space for my trip :hmz: I hope... (3x32 + 2x16)...

If there are any questions, particularly regarding practical use/feel/opinion of any of my equipment (or something similar), please let me know. If there is something that I should test to help someone decide on a body later, please post the questions here before I go that I can make sure to think of the answer as I use my gear.

Now to start packing - 3 work weeks, 2 weekends, it's almost here... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Today I realised that tinned food is more expensive that I thought, I now need to better think what food to take - this is not meant to be a major part of the trip, food is less important that cameras, so long as there is enough food, what it is should not matter. But at least I have 4 nights/days of standby left and 5 normal working days until Friday upon which I will go on leave (finally got it approved). Some family time before my solo trip will be good. Currently getting my other stock photos in order and on the sites as I am expecting 1 or 2 new ones after the trip. Just got accepted onto a nice new site, so uploading stuff there too, boy, jobs... At least the one that takes me to KTP is :thumbs_up:

So now I am planning on staying in VZR as I can leave a lot earlier the Friday. Already chosen the overnight stop and started scouting on google maps for sunset and sunrise photo locations.

Tomorrow I plan on getting the tyre compressor, puncture repair kit, muscle relaxers (guessing I may need them with my kit and don't want to sit with stress headaches in that sun). Oh, and I just ordered a spare battery for the one camera. Oh, and tomorrow I also need to get a second spare tyre and am going to put in a bigger car battery (taking the current smaller one as a spare). Boy, lots to do tomorrow. And I wanted this trip to be low on admin...

So 5 working days, 2 weekend days of meetings and plant inspections, 1 week off with the family, then I go :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:09 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What an organised trip MxM! You're almost on your way! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Having seen some of your pictures MXM, I am really looking forward to your report back.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:37 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Seems that everything is planned to the Tee :wink: .

Now for the last days to go by before leaving and enjoying the solo trip :whistle: .

Hope there will be lots of birdies to photograph for us to enjoy :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:25 am 

MxM you will be pleased to hear that there is a resident Barn Owl at Grootkolk (or there was in Sep 2012) -just ask the camp attendant to take you up the hill to the shed to see him. Also we had the Great Sparrow and the Violet eared waxbill in camp at the water that we put out to attract the bees away from us! Also saw swallow tailed bee eaters quite regularly on our drives from Urikaruus and also Giant (Verreaux) Eagle Owls.I am :mrgreen: can't wait to see your photos :cam:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Seems like the planning has gone smoothly now just about time to go and have some fun.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

5. Food planning

Well, I have worked on my menu. Don't hold your breath for something special though... I will not be saying what I will have one what days but rather what my overall planning is. I will decide on the day what to eat.

KTP section:
2 days oats (instant just add boiling water variety) + biltong
2 days pronutro (premixed with sugar and powdered milk) + biltong
2 days eat at 2R restaurant
2 days instant noodles and can (of something, either basil pesto tomato sauce, creamed corn, who knows) + biltong
3 days braai

Augrabies section:
1 or 2 nights in restaurant (depending on menu and how good the 1st night is)
1 or 2 days oats or noodles and sauce + biltong

A few thoughts on why I have done it this way:
- I am going for the photos and the enjoyment of the serenity, not to spend time making food.
- I am not really a big boozer (I understand that this is odd for us South Africans, but as I am going alone, it is just weird to have a drink by myself - and no, I am going to be alone for a while so mixing with others is not really on my planned list of activities. On the other hand, I may put a single malt it, if there is place in the coolbox, just in case at Grootkolk I get all googly-eyed about my surroundings and want a celebratory nightcap).
- I enjoy food, eat a lot of it, but much of the time it is there to sustain me not entertain me.
- All biltong and meat will be bought at the relevant park shops - I like to support them. I understand that there may not be a huge selection, but as I have not predecided selection, anything I find will be good. Also, we do not really get venison this way so anything I can find will work. If I wanted chicked or pork I would take it myself rather than complain that a shop does not stock my special stuffed chicken breasts.
- I like the SANParks restaurants. Particularly the venison on the menus. I know many have different opinions, but while KNP was not great, Addo was decent, but boy, MZNP and Karoo NP were beyond amazing! The service was prompt and friendly, the menu varied with some really interesting dishes, there was lots of local style food (not just cheeseburgers, but a sweet mutton curry for example), the prices were decent (particularly when you take the amount of expected traffic through a restaurant that is not open to the public from outside the park at night, cost of labour this far out of normal civilisation, cost of getting all the ingredients to these parks - and when I talk of cost it is both money and effort), the quality was good, and most of all, for the restaurants run by SANParks, the animals end up with the benefit. Ok, plus then I don't need to pack the food, carry the food, cook the food or clean up afterwards.
- I really enjoy cereal. I don't really eat it at home these days as I get up and go straight to work to be there at 0710 these days, not going to waste time eating when I could be sleeping.

Also, I take lots of little snacks with me. My dear mother made a huge care package with some treats, including my favourite nougat (I know I have mentioned it before, but this is some special nougat!). Along with the car package, I take lots of not-so-messy sweets, like jelly sweets and other items that remind me of my childhood from where my love for SANParks started. My SO usually packs special little containers with a different selection for a day's drive each evening before, but as I am going alone, I will just start with one packet and move on to the next. As biltong and droewors are so insanely expensive here, I will buy lots of it to support the animals (not for me, it is all for the animals, somehow) and eat as I drive or sit at waterholes.

So, now that that is decided, I can start to focus on the :cam:

John

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:50 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
The food (and menu) at the Augrabies Restaurant was excellent when we were there in March MxM! :dance: :dance: I cannot say anything about Twee Rivieren's restaurant, because we didn't make use of it. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 am 

The 2RV rstrnt was a huge pleasant surprise when we ate there last year. Both food and service was great. Planning to support them too next week when we are there again :-)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 am 

I am very sad to hear that the bird baths at Grotkolk have been banned due to the bee problem :hmz: we spent 4nights there last year and found that so long as we kept them full of water the bees hung around the plastic containers and of course the birds were a joy to watch and photograph.it appears that somebody who was allergic to bee was stung hence the new rule :rtm:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next