Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Photographs and Memories - June 2013 Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hoping to spot some more lions on our Lucky S100 we head there along the S41. A Vulture Circling above raises our hopes...

And sure enough after seeing the usual impi’s, zeebies and Jerries we see the King of the Jungle doing what he does best Lioning around! S100 delivers again...

Back at camp and back at our perfect viewing point!

At camp we are entertained by a couple of birds.Image
An African Grey Hornbill overseas things around camp!
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Our last (sob sob sob) night at Olifants so we take a sunset drive to the lookout point. Hippos chilling down below!
The way the sun hits the valley could keep me here forever.

Back at camp another fire is lit and this time a G&T is poured.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

23 June
A late start for us. I guess we just didn’t want to leave beautiful Olifants... Image
The skies were grey as we took in our final look out from our new favourite spot. What are my lovelies looking down at ???Image

Could it be an Ellie in the Olifants!
ImageImage

He certainly enjoyed what ever bush was growing in the river.

And then some hippos in the river too!

Not only entertainment in the river but in the trees too!

A good bye as we leave the gates of one of glorious Olifants Camp. Sad to leave but a first visit to Sirheni was the silver lining on the clouds.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

PietSkiet, Hilda, Pumbaa,Kaapsedraai, Crested Val,Phokojwe,isinkwe and gatita

Thanks for all your comments. It is heartbreaking to leave such a beautiful spot but new adventures and scenery awaited!

On the move to our next camp Sirheni!! The H1-5 is the road north for us and we stop to watch some Gerry’s Image

A pretty uneventful drive North and we stop at the Letaba River River Crossing H1-6. A herd of Ellies cross the river and provide us with some entertainment.

Big Mama or could be Daddy? looking out for the rest

At the back of this scene is a mom and baby hippo and when I say baby I mean BABY!!

After a quick toilet break at Mooiplaas we cross the Tropic of Capricorn but not before capturing the moment.

My little Explorer

Leaping into the North!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Headed up and up we go and so do these two with their long necks! Up and Up that is!
Finally after the most beautiful drive through the trees we arrive at Sirheni. Yes there is still construction happening all over the place but you can see the absolute beauty of this little camp with it's now almost all new houses after flood damage.

We notice how bad the damage must have been with so many trees washed down the river.

We are the unit second from the fence and our view through the trees is like a fairy tale. Plus we have the hide right down the way. That night we make our fires and the girls play at the table (some headlamp and candle action!)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The next morning I am up first and decide to leave the family to have some RnR. I walk to the hide with my blanket and a cup of coffee. (and camera of course) It is a pretty shaky video because it is from the slr and not video but the sounds are too good not to share.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

24 June
This morning we have decided to head the furthest North we have ever been Punda Maria is our destination.

While the lovelies cuddle in bed I take a few moments to appreciate the Sunrise at Sirheni. Sometimes you need those times to put the rest of life in perspective. Being in Kruger with my family will be memories that I can turn to when I need inspiration.

As I look back towards our unit

I notice my 3 lovelies surfacing and they too come and enjoy the sounds of the bush.

Golden Sun for a golden memory, and now a photograph to look back at too!
Picnic goodies packed along with the day's supplies we head North. Our first sighting of the day is just outside of camp ....Verreaux's Eagle-Owl luck is continuing on this trip!

Babalala is where we decide we are going to have coffee and rusks so we take the supremely beautiful road up to the picnic sight. At at the waterhole near Babalala is a ou grote having a drink!

He looked like he was battling to reach with those crooked tusks!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Leaving Bababala we head up the H1-7 towards the unknown Punda!
Not sure what our first little bug enroute is called so if any of you do I would love to know! I bit alien looking to me!

As we near Punda, Bob Marley playing along in the car we pass a brace of waterbuck with this cutie staring at us!

Out in the distance we spot a big boy eating the lush vegetation that is all around.

We arrive at Punda and love what we see. Definitely going to try stay here one year. It looks so OLD SCHOOL!!! So beautiful.I can imagine my grandparents visiting there decades ago and making their little fires outside the units!

Mahonie Loop has always been on my to-do-list and today I get to cross it off. What a lovely drive with so many beautiful spots. We find a Martial Eagle around one of the bends

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Back toward Sirheni we stop once more at Babalala. Time for snacks and enjoying the surrounds

Not to sure if the are red hartebeest, tsessebe or Lichtenstein’s Hartebees??? But they were enjoying a drink along with some Zebra at the waterhole.

Back at Sirheni the girls head out for a game under the trees while we sit and have a drink watching some visitors to the camp. Waterbuck!

That night the moon is shining over Kruger Park and we once more all is right in the world.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This morning our hearts were heavy with the knowledge that this was our final full day in the park and our final evening too. Could it all have gone by so quickly? When we booked the trip (our longest to date) we thought that 12 days might be to much for the kids but now we know…. it is never to long only ever to short!!

I get the bag ready with our supplies. We might be out her win the bush but a girl still needs a few creature comforts!

Many have written that the S65 Mphongolo Loop is the best in the park from a scenery point of view. I can only agree! The morning reflections are just unreal.

A herd of Ellies come down to drink.

The minute the matriarch smells us across the river she gets very nervous and trumpets for the group to move off. They are in quite a hurry and for some getting up the hill was a bit of a challenge!

Typically 2 teenagers decide to push the boundaries and drink their fill. Providing us with some great reflection photos!

It is one of the most memorable experiences as we just sat their listened to the noises the herd was making across the river and these two were drinking their fill. Plus we were surrounded by a forest of green and singing birds.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

barryels,isinkwe,hilda,Phokojwe,PetraJ, Sparrow,Trrp-trrrrrrrr, tent dweller

pamelajane - I bought that one many years ago and it has been on every trip yet. It is a worthy investment! The Illy was a gift from my mom and it was AMAZING~

Thanks for staying on board just a few more episodes till the end. Going to try post a video of the mamma ellie calling her babies. We were surprised at how loud they can get when they are in a hurry! All because they smelt us. But who can blame them when "man" has often caused them pain.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all the comments! I nearly forgot our little grey duiker we saw as we just came out of Sirheni that morning!

Back to the Ellies! Well they entertained us for a while before we moved off. The kids very jittery around ellies because of the two "angry" ellies earlier in the trip and we were trying to reassure them that everything would be ok......

Another "educational moment" arrived when high in a tree two squirrels were hoping for some privacy :lol:

More Buck along this route! Such soft eyes with these little Nyala.

Also striped but this time a Kudu peaked out at us!

Just before we turned around to head back towards Babalala for lunch (many visits made here on our trip I know)
We see some more buffalo soldiers duking it out in the dust.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We decide to loop back the way we came since we had enjoyed it so much. This proved to be a little risky experience as the herd of ellies had now crossed to our side and mamma was still a little upset. As we drove through the twisting roads we suddenly came upon the herd. We have ellies in front of us and right next to us. Due to our previous "misfortunes" we think it was course would be to reverse out of this little Dilemma.. Just as we start to do that a big mamma blocks our exit from behind. Starts flapping her ears and puffing at us. Kids are now crying and freaking out (ok so am I but what can you do but put on a brave face.) Camera didn't even make it out of the bag!

Hubby decided to slowly but assertively just keep going forward. This seems to work as the younger ones move out the road and we now have a small window of opportunity to make a dash for it. With a sigh of relief and the adrenalin flowing we giggle all the way to Babalala. Another close call. Those mamma's are very frighting when they give you the beady eye!

For lunch we decide to braai and not fry! It provided us more time to relax with the kids while they explored the picnic sight.

Prego rolls were on the menu and our mouths were watering. I managed this shot before disaster hit us!!!!

As Braai Master was turning the chicken for one final time the entire braai toppled over and hit the ground. Chicken and rolls all over the place!!!!Image

So shocked I nearly dropped the camera to save my roll!!! Anyway it was all pretty much ruined. The rust on the braai caused the top to become weak and just topple at that inopportune moment. Fortunately for us the true Kruger spirit prevailed and some of our fellow visitors share some brunch with us!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After lunch we head back to camp and complete our packing for our trip home :x
First up on the road home one of my favourites

The heart shaped nose is sooooooo adorable

The we find and Ox-pecker doing it's thing. How Clean is your Horn ?

One of my favourite pictures of the trip
As high up as an Oxpecker can get without flying!

Even the nose is sorted!
Oxpecker up close and Giraffical :tongue:

That evening our heavy hearts just don't want to leave. We pack up so that we get maximum time around the fire that night since we need to leave pretty early the next morning. The fire lit now time for Clearing the mind.

Romanicing Sirheni

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Up early to pack the car and all our belongings we start our journey out of the park. To maximise more Kruger time we decide to head out at Phalaborwa.
Stopping for a last Coffee on our new favourite road we have coffee and rusks listening to the birds and calls around us.

We head on South on the main road when suddenly Courtney and I are bursting for the toilet. Our only option is Mooiplaas and then we hit a Traffic Jam - Kruger Style...
It took what felt like forever for the herd to cross but eventually they did and we got to empty our bladders at beautiful Mooiplaas!

Later that morning we saw and Eagle circling above the road and as we got closer we saw what he was trying to pick up. Note the claw marks on the body of the snake!

We decide to make one last stop at Sable Hide before leaving paradise. It was truly worth it. As we drove towards the hide we spotted a herd drinking.
Arriving at the hide we were ready for action.

But the best was yet to come as some bulls decided to treat us to a swimming display!

Sometimes when you are swimming you need to scratch !

Closer and Closer we move until we touch!

Since our trip was one filled with Elephant experiences it is fitting to end with a slam dunk photo!

Thanks to all who stayed on board for our adventure! We hope to have another one soon with more Photographs to add to our Memories!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3