Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: southerngal4eveh's ALL the Big Five - KNP, July '13
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:11 pm 

We saw all the Big Five in the space of 5 day visits and then on Friday, 5 July 2013, we saw ALL the Big Five again in the 6 hours we were in the park.

I'm going to list where we saw what and will post pictures at some point....
It's been 11 years since I was last at Kruger. We live in Cape Town so it's an extremely LONG drive but so worth it!!

day 1: entry thru Phabeni Gate on 30 June 2013. We immediately saw Kudu and elephant once we entered the park on the S1. We saw an assortment of animals (Kudu, giraffe, warthogs and even fish eagles). Once we were on the H4-1, we came across [color=#0040BF]elephants
with babies (we were very careful) and then we had a lone male buffalo cross the road in front of us. We carried on to Lower Sabie where we saw Hippos by the watering hole. We had encountered tons of rhino.

day 2: (from Orpen to Shingwedzi): We headed on the H7 then turned off onto the S106. We again saw more buffalo and then elephants. We again rejoined the H7 towards Satara. We turned off again onto the S40 towards Timbavati. There, we saw elephants, hippos and about 1 km down the S40, we came across an ADOLESCENT Male lion lounging under a tree close to the road. It was 10:10am and what a treat! Our goal was to see the Big Five. So far, we had seen three of the Big Five. I was content from our lion sighting. We camped overnight at Shingwedzi and what an amazing place. They have worked so hard to get it up to speed. :thumbs_up:

Day 3 (from Shingwedzi to Crocodile Bridge): By the Kanniedood Dam (S50), we saw hippos, impala, fish eagles, zebra and more elephant. We decided to head onto the S52. We somehow managed to get ourselves turned around but I told my husband to carry on...SO GLAD we did!! the dry riverbed was on our left and we saw elephants and a herd of buffalo. No big deal. As we headed further, we saw one buffalo about 300 meters down, then two, then three and within 30 seconds, we were completely surrounded by buffalo. :bcool: We turned our engine off and just listened to them. We were watched by one buffalo who won the stare down. After about 30 minutes, we backed up and made our way out of there. We didn't want to disturb them. The highlight of the day was the cheetah we saw on the H1-6 from Shingwedzi. He was lounging under a tree and a vulture kept messing around him. All of a sudden, the cheetah ran out and jumped up and swiped at the vulture who took flight. The cheetah then walked through the bush a few hundred meters, came out and strolled down the H1-6 , gave us some awesome photo ops before he disappeared into the bush.

Last edited by southerngal4eveh on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Kruger July 2013 - ALL the Big Five
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:01 am 

THANKS for the warm welcome!

I absolutely LOVE KNP and the wildlife...... It would be such a tragedy to lose any of these animals, big or small. I have such respect for all the animals and I wish that other countries would protect their own wildlife from poachers, etc.

I am looking forward to more trips to Kruger in the future!! :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: Kruger July 2013 - ALL the Big Five
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 am 

Day 4 & 5 - 5 & 7 July 2013

We had been staying with friends but were now going down to and across to Kamotiepoort. We went through the Numbi Gate where we saw buffalo with babies. Awwww.... We headed down the S14 and saw Kudu, zebra and a few more buffalo. We decided to head down the H3 and then skip over to the S120. There was a reported lion and lioness siting. After several kilometers, we thought this would be all in vain but as we turned the bend, we stopped immediately...there must have been about 10 cars on the dirt road. The male and his temporary mate had been mating for 3 days near Berg en Dale. He was on my side. We were able to take a few nice shots of his face. The double cab bakkie in front of us was loaded with young men in the back and others in the front cab. Someone must have broken the line of the car because all we saw was a blur of tan and orange and we quickly realized it was the male running through the brush to charge their bakkie. I have NEVER seen men scramble so fast. NO ONE was out of the vehicle (they were all very good). A few minutes later, the male decided to charge our SUV. My poor daughter was traumatized because she was convinced mr lion was going to eat her dad. Dad was in the car. Mr. Lion was just making a point. This gorgeous male was the highlight of the day.

7 July: We took a morning drive from Crocodile Bridge. We had just mentioned how we had seen so many animals (Big Five) next to the car but NO HYENAS. Three minutes later and we spotted a hyena. Fourteen minutes later, another 2 hyena and two minutes later, another two hyena!! We were driving and my husband saw something charge out of the bush, we look over and here come 2 HUGE Rhino barreling out of the bush to cross the road. He hit the accelerator to get out of the way. If we had stopped, they would have run straight into his door!!! It was now 7:18am. 15 minutes later, we had a stunning bull elephant happily ripping a tree apart to get to the leaves. More photo opps!! At 10am, we saw a beautiful leopard walking through the bush. We were slowly making our way towards Lower Sabie for breakfast. We had breakfast then we were heading back to Crocodile Bridge but just outside of Lower Sabie along the river bed, we saw 2 lionesses walking along the river. The babboons were fussing and raising the alarm. At 12:13 on the S28, we saw buffalo and later that evening when we came back in, we had 2 hyena cubs walk around our car; then on the way out, we saw a stunning female rhino with a tiny little baby!!! What an awesome day!
:dance: :D :dance:

Last edited by southerngal4eveh on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]