Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Heksie's MMC mornings and KPA days... March '13
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:26 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Now most of you know that WendyA and Heksie have gone on a December adventure-camping from North to South in 12 days and after locking keys in cars, breaking gazebos in storms and driving off causeways survived a very successful and funny trip. I go and visit Wendy every now and then, and after a few KPA’s we discuss future Kruger plans-now I have invited her to join me at Sabie Park for Easter, we planned to drive Wednesday 27 March after work and then we will have 5 full days and then leave on Tuesday 2 April. Please I beg you not to go visit forumites and go drink KPA’s or MMC's because you will book bush adventures with them…

For the new forumites that don’t know,

KPA = Kruger Park Image + Appletiser Image aka having any cider of sorts whilst visiting the Kruger Narional Park

MMC = Magic Milk Image + coffee Image aka MAgic Mailk coffee or tea or plain old Amarula on Ice

Now we left Bronkhorstspruit at 17:00 and after a very peaceful drive and one stop-go just before Hazyview we got at Sabie Park @ 22:00 and unpacked, then we had a KPA on the Stoep of the Kruger, we chatted into the night and was happy that we were back in a place that we love. Tomorrow will bring us a new adventure and a lot of laughs and stories to be shared with our forumites...

to be continued...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Post subject: Re: MMC mornings and KPA days...
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 pm 
Day 1… MMC just started flowing

Now my morning ritual is wake up, put on the gas stove to boil water and have a shower then wake up whoever shares the house with me, and then we make MMC. I either drink one before we drive so I can make my numerous wee visits before we enter the park or when I’m at Sabie Park, wee before we leave the house, we drink while waiting at the Gate and wee while Wendy get our day permit and then maybe wee at Skuks again which is 11km from the Gate… I’ve got a weak morning bladder ok… Before we even left Sabie Park I worked in my new Hyundai i10 by spilling MMC all over myself and the front dash. EISH.
We waited in front of the Gate and entered without any hassles. Our route for today was: H11->S1->S65->H1-1->S114->S112->H3->H1-1->H1-2->S83->H12->H4-1->H1-1->S65->S1->H11. Yes a long road that kept us in the Park for about 9 hours but totally worthwhile. Some of our first sightings was this mole snake,

European Roller

A cute rockjumpertjie

And a lone daggaboy,

Then it was time to refill our mugs with MMC… On the Maroela loop we found this cute lizard posing in the sun,

And then this satellite dish, I just love their BIG ears

Then as we finished the loop we came upon this… Aggenee man!

We did not know what was waiting for us and then on our right side something came out of the bushes to say: ‘Ola, senoritas’

He had two friends with him and they were a bit miffed about all the attention that they got,

We took our few kiekies as the menere moved towards us and with that BIG convoy we didn’t think twice about moving on. On the H4-1 we had a weird sighting. It was a Maraboe that was tagged-not something that we ever seen before.

Then it was time for another refill, as we approached Klipspringerkoppies a 5 car roadblock greeted us, Phew at least not as big as the previous one, and with the help of another Krugerian we saw this hiding in the rocks, At least we got to move in to a great spot half off the road after someone called me a TANNIE?!?!?!?! And we could spend a good hour with him…

We had our fill and I had a wee so we took the S65 home and our last sighting before we left the Park was this meneer,

We got home and cracked open a KPA, I started a woodfire- which btw I had teach Wendy to do, there is a hilarious story that will be told in the near future about Wendy’s woodfire and why I will not come within 5 feet of her when she makes one. We enjoyed the late afternoon sun and there were birdies above us chirping about. I commented that it was hornbills and we discussed the type, of which we found out later was crowned hornbills (a lifer for both of us) and we were so lazy that neither of us took a kiekie of them. Ja I know-the KPA was definitely talking here. We had a lekker braai and sat outside listening to the bush sounds and having a good ol’ chat. After a KPA or two we went in and decided that its time to go to bed as tomorrow holds another day in the Park.

To be continued…

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
Heksie ... you are going too fast! Remember some of us have to work during school holidays!!!

You forgot to mention that when we got to Sabie Park we were thrilled to see on the board that the Sabie Park leopard was back and had been seen at the house next to your grand-parents' place!!!

It was pitch black when we pulled up and we were both a little nervous getting out of the car and unloading. I was sure the leppie was sitting right next to the house but it turned out to be a rock shaped like a leopard ... the guys who spend days in Kruger chipping away at rocks, trees and bushes, turning them into animals are at it in Sabie Park now!

Anyway, after unpacking we sat on the stoep with our KPAs. It was silent, the night was dark and everything was still. All of a sudden we heard a kind of barking/rasping noise and whatever it was moved from the bushes quite close to where we were sitting, darted across the road behind where Heksie's car was, and into the bushes on the other side. It moved so fast we didn't manage to see what it was. We quickly finished our KPAs and decided to call it a night!

Heksie wrote:
... and then we make MMC. I either drink one before we drive so I can make my numerous wee visits before we enter the park or when I’m at Sabie Park, wee before we leave the house, we drink while waiting at the Gate and wee while Wendy get our day permit and then maybe wee at Skuks again which is 11km from the Gate… I’ve got a weak morning bladder ok… …

Weak bladder, you? No!

You forgot to mention that we met forumite FOREST GUMP at Skukuza and that we had a chat with him - always nice meeting mites in the park!

The cheetahs were a great sighting and we were also very lucky seeing the leopard at klipspringer koppies that afternoon too ...

The FUNNIEST thing about the leopard was that couple who asked what we were looking at ...

It wasn't a great sighting and for a lot of the time it was just Heksie and I sat there. Every time a car came up we had to explain where the leopard was ...

"You see that big rock on the right ... You see the big rock to the left of it ... In the middle of the two BIG rocks there's a smaller rock and the leopard is just behind the smaller rock."

"OH YES!" was usually the answer we got.

Well, there was one couple who pulled up and we went through the Big Rock, Little Rock thing. Both the woman and the man had their binoculars out and were looking. "OH YES!" exclaimed the woman, "I can see him."

"Where is he?" asked her husband. We went through the Big Rock, Little Rock thing again.

He continued scouring the rocks with his binoculars, not saying a word.

"Do you see the leopard?" his wife asked.

"No!" he replied.

"Right," said his wife, "see that big rock to the left that looks like a boob?"

"Yes" he replied ...

"To the left of that big boob there's another big boob ..."

"Yes" he said

"In the middle of the two big boobs there's a little nipple - the leopard is just behind the nipple!"

"OH YES!" he exclaimed, "I see him!"

"Men," his wife said ... "they only speak one language!!!"

We were in hysterics!

Heksie wrote:
... I started a woodfire- which btw I had teach Wendy to do, there is a hilarious story that will be told in the near future about Wendy’s woodfire and why I will not come within 5 feet of her when she makes one …
Neeeeeeeee ..... I must just stay away when you add more paraffin soaked tea bags to the fire!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:26 pm 
Day 2... a harrier morning

Woke up feeling great this morning, we have two drives planned for today so we are chilled, we packed the car and were ready for another day in Kruger. My gran organised for a maid to clean our house so I waited for her at the Sabie Park Gate at 5:45 to take her to our house and then pick up Wendy. After phoning her awake...........at 6:00.........I moved it to tomorrow and went back to pick up Wendy. We got to to the Gate a bit late (6:20) and were surprised that there were no cars at reception. We got our day permit and went in. Our route for the first part of this day was: H11->S1->S65->H1-1 to Transportdam->H1-1 to Skuks-> H1-2... the rest will follow in the next episode.
Our first visitor was the white-backed vulture fo which I got a great bottom view,

A buff having breakfast-he still looks sleepy?

Ellies,

Then someone jsut passing by, it was really like a 2-shot moment and then he was gone,

A lifer for me, the Southern white-crowned shrike

And then a sighting that got us more excited than the spotties yesterday, it flew over the road and then for a short while sat in the tree, we got to take a few kiekies before it flew off again, a Gymnogene/Harrier hawk

At Transportdam we were entertained by a frisky Waterbuck and his lovey,

This Blacksmith Plover was a bit curious about what was going on in our car...

Jsut before we got to Skuks, Wendy jsut shouted and grabbed her binocs, Yes!!!! Another lifer for me and something that waas on my wishlist for a looooooong time. A single green pidgeon in a tree, I would have never seen him and if it wasn't for Wendy's hawk eyes we wouldv'e driven past.

At the low waterbridge near Skuks we were entertained by this Water Thick-knee,

And after the low water bridge over sandriver on the H1-2 we had another surprise. I mean! Really! We were ecstatic,

They were a bit skittish and just as the previous one gave us time for a kiekie or two and then flew off in the distance. And with us not even calming about our Harrier sighting, another flew into a tree...

Not talking for Wendy but my last Harrier I've seen last year with Cheats with our trip just beofre easter and I just love them birdies and then sommer in a time-span of 4 hours we have 3 sightings, this was truly amazing for me. After our excitement subsided and showing a JJ that stopped next to us the Harrier, we were informed to turn into the West entrance of the Maroela loop as there is a special sighting,

to be continued...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Day 2 part 2... a Catnap afternoon

After turning into Maroela loop we had an idea what would wait at the causeway for us but we weren't in the mood for a roadblock. We got there and there were a few cars, someone had to explain to us a few times before we saw them, I moved my car off the road and we refilled our MMC and waited patiently...
Here is what happened the next 60minutes of our day,

11:25-we struggle to see the kitties and I know how to drive offroad with a i10 (Just look underneath the low bush/tree, unfortunately there is no bobbierocks to help you okes out)

11:39 one of the ladies decide to lie in the causeway and soak up some sun

12:07 Sister come down as well and they decide to bathe eachother

12:09 The cutest thing appear out of nowhere and have us ooooohing and aaaaahing

12:18 Dad makes an appearance and the whole family bonds in the causeway

12:21 Something gets all their attention on the other side and we get a bit excited about what is going to unfold here today...

12:22 Something BIGGER and BADDER decides they want the causeway and chases away the lions, see the male there next to the tree in the back?

12:25 (exactly and hour after we have arrived) the ellies decide to move off

Here is a video because you must have heard all the trumpeting going on-it was really an AMAZING sighting!!!!!!

12:30 the ellies are gone and guess who appears out of the bushes?

We had a great spot but decided to move like the other cars and look past what we had tp drive...
the lion is walking up there as well

We followed him on top and then as stooooopid as us girls can get we turn around-oh well there was a great thing that happened out of this, except that we had to wait 30 minutes to get back on th eH1-2. As we got on the causeway again we were greeted by someone that knew us.... IS IT THAT OBVIOUS WHO WE ARE???? it was BUSHCRAFT and family. We had a lekker chat in the traffic jam and then moved on home.
We chilled and popped open a KPA each whilst getting the fire going for a sosatie braai.

to be continued...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:07 am 
Sorry mites :slap:
Wendy and I will be MIA till next week Sunday cause we are in Krugs :twisted:
I'm camping with mum and she is at BnD, we will camp together July 11+12+13 at LS...
Wish that all of you were here with us...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:43 pm 
So to give you guys a glimpse of our trip so far :twisted:
My :slap: story of the day (Noel this is especially for you)

Ok so we are driving on the Balule dirt road (S91/S92) towards Olifants and ooooo I see a squirrel on a branch posing beautifully for me mum. I stop and shout and reverse and as we get ready to kiekie squirrel he runs- I swear and on we go... Then mum screams leopard and points-I see no leopard but a caracal bum trotting away exactly in line where I stopped before I reversed for the squirrel. So the damn thing got such a fright about us stopping for the squirrel he turned and ran away! If I didn't look at the squirrel I would've seen a caracal and taken kiekies!!!!! So here we are and we have no pics of the caracal or squirrel... :doh:

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 pm 
Day 2… Short afternoon drive

We went home and had a lekker afternoon braai, we sommer decided that it would be better to braai our dinner everyday at about 2 o’clock so that we can have a chilled afternoon drive and then just sit outside on the Stoep of the Kruger and enjoy the night sounds with a fire going and an ice cold KPA. After our ‘dinner’ we climbed into the car and off we went just for a short drive: H11->S3->S4->S1->H11
Here is some of our sightings: A croc,

A baby water monitor basking on a rock

A hippo deciding to have an early dinner as well,

Then on the S4 (It is one of my favorite spots, just off the S1, I call it my Serengeti patch) We had zebs posing beautifully for us.

And on the S1 we had a some buffalo

We also had a great hornbill sighting, they were all in a tree. Maybe hiding from a predator which we didn’t see?

Then on our way out of the Park we were greeted by the setting of the magnificent African sun.

Another great day in the Park. That night we had a lekker fire going and sat and listened intently for night visitors at Sabie Park. Sitting with spotlights ready we heard some rustling of dead leaves and got a BIG fright (some excitement for the night) when Mr Hyena walked past our braai. Unfortunately we didn’t have our cameras with us and it was very dark but still a great sight.

To be continued…

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm 
Day 3… the way to start a day
This morning started very sourly… now you wonder how could a day where you wake up with birds and the smell of bush and with no worries, be sour? Well that maid that we had to get yesterday and phoned her awake and then moved it to today—we waited for her at the Gate till past 5:30. 5:45 we said stuff this as we only got her as a favor for gran and then went on our way to the Gate. Wendy get our permits and she is not happy when she returns… I will let her elaborate about this. As we just get our MMC’s ready the maid phone us and tells me that she is at the Gate, first I say she can go home again as we are not home, but she doesn’t really understand Afrikaans or English, EISH MAN, and after a huge communication error we turn around back to the house. We pick her up and drop her off and then go on our way to Krugs again.
As we enter the Park, a calmness wash over us and we are in bush mode again. We decide to go to Crocbridge today via H4-1->H4-2 and on we went. When we reached Skuks crossing we were informed about doggies at Mathekanyane so a detour was in order. We arrived there and it was great to only see 2 other cars at the sighting.

We had them for about 15 minutes and they decided that the road was not the place to be and drifted off in a line through the bush. We were ecstatic, our day started bad but it was moving into a good direction now. On our way back we had dwarf mongoose on an anthill.

Then the lower Sabie river road. We had the normal sightings on this road. A few vervets,

Buffs on a riverbank,

Ellies strutting their stuff

We had to stop at Sunset dam and was entertained by a birdy at the dam, the Woodsandpiper

On our way to CB we had the following sightings: Slender mongoose,

Ellies crossing the road, as always,

A beautiful waterbuck ram

Then as we draw close to the camp we came upon a bit of a roadblock, there was a cheetah lying somewhere near a boobierock next to a trunk in the grass about 100m from the road, after a bit of a hassle we still couldn’t see him so we went to have some lunch. We had crackers and mussels with cubes of cheese, sitting on the benches across the shop and enjoying the chirping of the birds. We had a lekker lunch and packed up have our drive back home.

To be continued…

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:13 pm 
Day 3… a slow and steady drive back

We left CB with full tummies and drove straight into the traffic jam again-but this time we could spot the cheetah. He was very far so it was great seeing him with the binocs but not lekker for pics. Here is a heavily zoomed in kiekie just as proof that we did in fact see this,

The traffic jam started getting heavy and we knew that it late morning so he isn’t going to move soon wo we drifted on. We turned onto the S25 and decided to go back via Mpondo dam. It wasn’t a drive with a lot of sightings but in fact a peaceful drive, we sat at this random watermass for 30 minutes enjoying our MMC and feeling the wind blow while listening to birds chirping and hoping maybe we would have Wendy’s luck with the lippies coming for a drink but Eish nothing like that happened… We still enjoyed it though as I believe just 1 car passed us there, it was we were the only ones in the Park. We did have these sightings on our route, some butterflies,

Dragonflies,

People climbing out of their car on the S108, how can I count the ways of peoples insanity…

We were entertained for a while by this LBR having some breakfast, I think this was the highlight of the S26.

Also another Dragonfly,

Then as we almost reached Mpondo we found that with the earlier flood some water flowing over the dirt road, We couldn’t estimate how high the water is, how bad the ground was, could we get stuck? It took half a MMC to establish if we should take a chance or turn around… Well I always want to test how well I could do 4x4 with an i10 so here was my chance, we started moving forward through the sludge and weeds and water and luckily we didn’t get stuck although if I would’ve stand in the water it could have almost gone ankle deep. I was playing with fire… We made it and with a big sigh of relief we could take a kiekie of this black crake,

And this wood sandpiper,

We checked out Mpondodam and it was dead quiet, so we moved on. On our way home we had our best rhino sighting of the whole trip.

And one of our last sightings the day was a chameleon crossing the road, you guys have to watch out when you drive as I have seen more run-over chams than live ones in the Park, as well as snakes.

We got home at about 16:30 and decided that we just gonna start the braai, I had to teach Wendy how to make a wood fire today and as you men know-there isn’t a lot to it. So it was a 3-step lesson. I poured myself a KM (Kruger Mimosa) today and Wendy enjoyed another ice cold KPA whilst enjoying a Tony Park book and just enjoying the peaceful bush, I could really get use to this kind of life…

To be continued

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:50 pm 
Day 3… a very long drive in the Park

Today we decide to drive to Tshokwane, it is one of the most diverse routes for me with dams, plains, riverines and dense bush. Also one of my favorite birding spots is Leeupan. As per usual when I wake up the gas stove is lit and a kettle starts boiling as we freshen up for the day. After Wendy starts her second MMC we wait in front of the Gate. I tell you this MMC gives people stamina they never had… When we get to park in front of reception Wendy runs like speedy Gonzales to get our day permits as these JJ’s do take their time getting papers filled. I do my third wee for the day and as I return to the car she already waits for me. We pour ourselves some fresh MMC and enter the park trigger happy.
On our way to Tshokwane we had the following sightings: A hyena strolling in the road,

And on the Skuks low water bridge a croc drifting in the river,

Something I’ve never seen before was this baba ellie suckling, the view wasn’t great but it still was special for me to see, and at least the ellies were calm and in no rush to chase us down the road.

We turn on the S83-eastern entrance again to go check out the golden ones, as they were spotted there a few times this weekend and we had luck with them 2 days ago. All we saw was some flatties, but a sighting no-less. It wasn’t even hot and they were as lazy as ever…

Back on the H1-2 and we see a family of mongeese..mongooses…dwarfs that is checking out their surroundings by getting a higher vantage point.

And as per habit we turn to leeupan and nothing…nada…niks. What is going on here? As we get back on the tar we heard that we just missed a mating pair of golden crossing the road and only got to take this gagga kiekie…

Don’t you just love the plains just after Kruger Tablets?

In summer the birding is lekker here as the LBR’s, euros and the bee eaters just love this country. Here is tow purple rollers (which is one of my fave birdies in the park)

We freshened up at Tshokwane and decided to go to Orpen dam, when we reached the T-junction we had found out very unfortunately that the road was blocked on our side of the dam and you had to drive via the H10. We did a u-turn and informed another car about this too, they told us that they want to take the S35 as they had a lion sighting on their lonesome the day before, oh well we have time so for a second time I made the mistake in taking this route. Exactly a year ago I drove this road with Cheets and we had to play a drinking game to occupy ourselves with this road… The road was basically dead just as last time. We had a few nice sightings throughout the 30+kms or so:

Some ground hornbills,

Rhino, but they are so well hidden with the grass, and with my car which is not high enough-this could’ve been the reason that we missed everything?

We also saw some army folks checking out the road… There were halfway in a lot of vulture activity, we think there somewhere for eyes unseen was a kill of some sort,

Some of my best Euro roller kiekies was taken today,

We also had kudu and zeb hidden by some grass,

On our way back there weren’t much to see than the regular, except these verves that entertained us just past Sandriver low level bridge.

We got home at 2 and started the fire as soon as some KPA’s were popped. It was chilling time again as the fire crackled and the breeze blew past us. I was between my book and the met whilst Wendy made a fresh and crispy salad. We also discussed what afternoon route we want to do. Which was basically just the S65->H1-1 home. After having some lekker boerewors and couscous salad we packed in KPA’s in the coolerbox and went on our way to do round number 2… This didn’t pine out as we planned. Our first skrik was at S65 waterhole when we reached a turn and slowed down to a stop because we saw a car at the dam, and when I just looked to my right a breeding herd was 2m away from me… My eyes almost shot out of my head and if I had a weaker bladder then it would’ve been a wet moment… At least we made the occupants in the other car laugh as I never pulled away so fast in my life-our heads actually bobbed… Here they are after we calmed down.

And then just before klipspringerkoppies we had this sighting… it was a bit of a roadblock but we survived… He ticked away our time that we had to turn around and not go via H1-1 home.

We got to the gate just in time and a sigh of relief was breathed. As we got home another KPA was to opened to flush all the stress and excitement away of our afternoon drive and as we settled in our seats while the sun set we couldn’t be happier about the day we had in the Park. Life here is just bliss…

To be continued

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm 
Day 5… just chilling

Today we decided to take it as it comes, it was our last full day and we didn’t plan a route. We agreed that if we get at a crossing that we would go in the direction that we feel like. We also knew that most of the people would leave today as it was Easter Monday and tomorrow work would start again for the less fortunate-that’s why it’s just fantastic to be a teacher… We arrived early at the gate and was first which is something new for me. With MMC in the hand and standing outside breathing in the fresh air, well, ok, between polluting my lungs with smoke, just made me wish that we could stay for a few more days. It was very quiet at the gate and we got in really quickly as the system was offline. Refilling our cups with some magic and getting our cams ready, we entered the Park. On the H11 we had a close encounter with mr smiles.

Then I believe that this raptor is a Wahlberg? It’s much easier to ID these birds if they perch…

At the Skuks crossing we decided to go visit Renosterkoppiedam, on the way to our destination we had a few sightings, but it seems that the animals were just as chilled as us. The sightings were few and far between… some dwarf mongoose

And a wartie grazing

Then vultures circling in the air caught our attention, we had our eyes fixed on the sky and try to estimate where they are going to, now what luck do we have? As we turn the corner to the dam we see a few cars parked but nothing to worry us about and we stop to take some kiekies of the vultures.

When something caught our eye…
She started walking to the vultures which we believe were devouring the last of what could’ve been a kill? We had the best spot-if you could say that-as the rest of the cars were parked +- 50m from us.

We sat and enjoyed this for about 40 minutes, whilst the 3 ladies decided to have a morning snooze, nobody could see them except if one would lift her head every now and then, we weren’t in a rush. WE even thought that there would be some action as 3 warties in their direction and was a few metres from them and then froze, they then turned and quicly took flight. One of the ladies jumped up because of some curiosity but then went back to her comfortable position underneath the tree. It was a bit frustrating to direct the newcomers each time to where the lionesses were lying. It wasn’t as easy as with the leppie the other day. We had to use the crooked tree as a pinpoint.

We had this family that parked on either side of us… Oh my word how we had a face-in-the-hand moment. First it takes a while to direct them to the kitties, and yes! Binocs was necessary for this activity. Then when they get it, the oomie climbs out of his car-JA-walks past our car to give his binocs to his son/cousin/nephew and explain to him where they are… We were flabbergasted at what was playing out in front of us. I couldn’t utter a word but at least Wendy in a very high voice informed the oke that he cannot do this. He laughed it off. So I started the car and moved in a complete opposite direction before I totally lost it.

To be continued…

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm 
Day 5… the peacefulness continues-or that was what we thought

We decided to leave the crazy kitty peeps and drive down the S114, the S21 was unfortunately still closed because of the flood which was a big letdown but it wouldn’t deter our day so we just drove on. We came to a hyena den, but they were so well hidden that we weren’t able to take kiekies. It was a very slow drive with not a lot of sightings but also we didn’t have a lot of cars on our drive so it was really relaxing. We decided to turn on the S113 then turn back via the H3, we thought about returning home and just chill during the afternoon as this was definitely a different kind of trip. We wanted to calm our souls and just get away from our hectic workloads, and this was definitely a trip in which we felt that we really rested. On our way to Kruger Gate we had the following sightings:
Rhino in the distance

Mr Magnificent

Tortie

Ellie having some brunch

We got home and because this was our last braai, I gave Wendy the honor to start a wooden fire today. I popped open a KPA and got ready for my date with Tony Park on the stoep whilst Wendy started the fire, 30 minutes had passed and the fire was still not going, I told her to fan it and still nothing, just a leeetle bit of smoke. So I go check it out… the wood wasn’t packed lekker and the teabags which we soak in spirits to use instead of firelighters were already burnt. I get the braai tongs and get out 2 teabags, quickly lit it and put them in the fire after moving the wood a bit. Happy with what I did I look at the fire and suddenly I felt a bit too warm when Wendy shrieked: ‘Anri you’re on fire!!!’ I look down to see that my skirt caught fire and the first thing that jump to my mind was to get away from it so I jump out of my skirt and trample out the fire (BTW my fave skirt). When the excitement died down and the laughter receded she commented that she has never seen someone undress so quickly… NO pics though-sorry. I had to get something new to wear and sommer a new KPA to commemorate my loss, the rest of the afternoon went by smoothly as I didn’t come close to the fire or anything that could spark a fire. We had a great lunch and after getting the car ready went back in the Park for a afternoon drive. We decided to go check out if the ladies were still lazing around at Renosterkoppies and hoped that they would decide to move closer to the road. Here is some of our sightings:
I think this is a Gymnogene if I look at his face, but he seems a bit brown? Any help would be appreciated.

Kudu ewe

We got to Renosterkoppies and the ladies were still there-far far away hiding in the bushes, binocs were necessary to spot them as they weren’t on their original place. We were parked next to another oke that also climbed out of his car to hand another person back the binocs he borrowed. Whaaat!?! Do these people really don’t know that they aren’t allowed to do this? This was definitely day of the ‘idiot’ including myself…

Here is the ladies lasting about...

We soon left and went on the S112 to take the longer way back to Skuks. We had a few lekker sightings on our way to the Gate:
Rhino

Ellies just after a mudbath

And beautiful sunsets (nothing compares)

We got home and the kettle was boiled so that we can end a great and ‘exciting’ day with MMC. That night we sat and reminisced about our great trip that we had here at Sabie Park and also decided that we want to do a morning drive then come back to pack up then enter the Park for a last time to drive to Phabeni Gate as the drive is so much better than driving through the township to Hazyview. We were happy with our itinerary and then after another MMC went to bed.

To be continued…

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
I’m getting threatening messages from Dear Heksie as I’ve been so quiet recently … work and life in general. But now there are SIX pages to catch up with …!!!

Anyway, here goes …

Heksie has kept you well updated on our drives and sightings but has asked me to elaborate on a couple of things …

Firstly, the morning that started “sourly”! This was Easter weekend and you can imagine the queues at Reception – especially as we were late waiting for the maid who never turned up.

Anyway, Heksie had got us our permits the day before (when there were no queues) and decides today that it is my turn to get the permits. We pulled up and there must have been about two dozen or more people in a queue that led WAY outside of the reception. I know when we get to Kruger we are all excited and can’t wait to get in, but some people …..

There were two staff members in Reception who were on “Go Slow” then there were the JJs who took AGES, and groups who decide they are going to split up and half of them go to one staff member and the other half to the other staff member but then there are delays because the one in Queue A is getting a wild card that includes a person who is in Queue B, etc, etc. I could feel my blood pressure increasing …

THEN, when it FINALLY got to the point where I was next in the queue, a lady walked in and went straight to the other counter and stood behind the person getting served there.

“Uh, HELLO???” I said. She just looked at me and said “What?”

“Did you not notice that we are in a queue?” I asked her.

“Oh, I thought you were in a queue for the other till.”

Yeah right …

She soon took her place at the back of the queue.

I finally got our permits and returned to the car where my MMC was STONE COLD – NOT a good start to the morning.

The next day, however, we were the first car in the queue. We drove in and I got out and started walking to reception … next thing I heard people running behind me!!! Well, you should have seen me – there was NO WAY I was letting them get in front of me, I also legged it and got to reception first – it was very funny!

And now the wood fire episode … let me just give you my thoughts on this … I knew there was not a lot to a wood braai – you put the firelighters down, stack the wood on top and there you go ... The trouble I’ve had previously is that once the firelighters have burnt, there is just SMOKE and no FIRE.

Anyway, Heksie - who I’m sure knows how to make fire by rubbing two sticks together – did exactly what I would have done and within a couple of minutes had a LEKKER FIRE with FLAMES!

So, our last day it was my go. I’d been given the tip about using teabags instead of firelighters and had passed this on to Heksie. Instead of throwing your teabags away when you’re finished, dry them out, put them in a Ricoffy tin and pour about a third of a bottle of paraffin on them. The teabags soak up the paraffin and make great, cheap, firelighters. I don’t think Heksie listened when I was telling her though and I reckon she poured in a WHOLE bottle of paraffin on top of her teabags so when you take them out they are dripping!!!

Anyway, there were lekker flames at first on my wood fire, burning off what I'm sure was about an entire cup of paraffin on the THREE teabags lit under the wood. However, once again,, as this had burnt off, SMOKE.

So, Heksie to the rescue ...

She got more of her dripping teabags out of the Ricoffy pot, and lit them just in front of her, I could not believe it. The flames at the front of her skirt where the paraffin was dripping!!!!

I have NEVER seen Heksie move so fast, the skirt was pulled down and she was jumping up and down on it … what a sight! I wish I’d had my camera!!!

PS - I now buy wood well in advance of my trips to the park and make sure it's nice and dry. I've also learnt to stand FAR away from Heksie when she's putting teabags dripping with paraffin on to the fire!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:43 pm 
Day 6… The best for last

So with heavy hearts we wake this morning knowing that it would be our last morning drive, at least we still have a few hours in the Park. Our plan for today is a short morning drive then hopefully be back at 10:00 so we can pack up and then go to Hazyview via the S1. After my shower I pour a MMC and after packing in the box with the coffee, sugar, flask and offcourse our MM we are on our way again to the Park. This morning the row in front of the Gate was a bit longer, we weren’t concerned at all as we were trying to make the best of our last day. We get the permit and enter the Park deciding that we want to drive the S65 and then from there to Renosterkoppies. It’s very quiet in the car as we take in the bush in its splendor and we scan the veld for any movement when we see a 2 car roadblock in the road…
Together we comment ‘mmmmmmmmm’ and as we creep forward I bellow ‘Hyena’ exactly the same time when Wendy shrieks ‘wild dog’ WHAAAAAT!...

Yeah you better believe it! We didn’t get much kiekies of them together because the doggies moved off, they went straight past us and I quickly made a u-turn. We followed them a few metres up the road and got a few nice pics.

Then after about 10 minutes with them they moved off in the bush. We turn around towards the hyenas. It seems that the doggies had made a kill earlier the morning and them there was a bit of a fight between them and the hyenas won. The ugly mongrels produced much bettek kiekies then the doggies but this was a lot of fun to watch.

There were a few cars coming so we decided to move on, we got a nice pic of a zeb.

Then just passed Renosterkoppies on the S114 towards the H1-1 we had 3 golden manes lying in the long grass. There were a bit of traffic but nothing to bother us and we got a bit of time to take a few pics.

We turned towards home and quickly packed up so we could spend a bit more time in the Park… We were done in less than an hour and the house was squeaky clean. With a fully packed car, cameras on our laps and MMC in the hand it was time for round two in the Park. Our first sighting was this LBR,

Then warties,

And an ellie

Then a verve keeping us a bit entertained,

Then we had swifts in the road,

We also had a rhino cooling off,

We had the following sightings on the last stretch as we decided to exit via Numbi and not Phabeni, buff, a DCG and cute dwarfies but it seems that I have deleted/lost/any other reason for me not to have it my kiekies and can’t show them of. This was our trip full of some excitement, a lot of laughter and just too many magic milk but who can complain as we decided to book another trip for December…

Until the next adventure starts

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Last edited by Heksie on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]