Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quickies are BACK!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The rest of the day saw the kids getting to grips with their camera's in camp, a good Kruger brunch and an afternoon doze. The kids were working on the theme for the day and did really well.
ImageImageImageImage
.......and the expression on Bill's face when he realized Quickies were in camp!!

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the nice comments all (Rooies :twisted:)
Now then - as promised, I am progressing well with the TR. We managed to get a short late afternoon drive in to the little road that runs down to the Shivulani River between the Ngobeni waterhole and the H14/S133 junction. There wasn't much to see on the way there, but I found this jewel baking in the afternoon glow. I have been contemplating which photo to post for the last half hour, so I am posting four :roll: ..........which one would you have posted?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the opinions on the Fish Eagle pics :D
The little road down to the Shivulani River that I spoke about above runs along a small rocky kranz - one of those where you will find Mr and Mrs Springer on most days. Mr Springer was enjoying the last of the afternoon sun.Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On returning to Shimuwini we found this very naughty Quickie-seeker in the bed (river-bed that is). Don't worry, I won't post all the hephalump pics from then trip. Given that the areas around the Letaba River were still so green, there were a lot of hephalumps around :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

......you know how certain places and certain people have signature characteristics that imprint and anchor your fondness of them. A special smell; like some of the huts in Kruger or your mom's Sunday gravy from your childhood. A special smile or something that just jolts your mind to a particular fond memory or place. Well, for me a pair of Bateleurs in prime settling down in a tree for the night or taking in a sunrise, is my special signature for Kruger. I know they occur widely, but seeing a pair of these birds symbolizes everything I love about Kruger. I know its not the best pic and sadly I had their backs.........

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ohhhhhhhh :slap: almost got myself in trouble for leaving this TR half done (again). I have been having so much fun with the 3-or-more-species-in-one-photograph threat that I haven't' worked on the TR for a few days. But I'm back.........
That evening saw a chicken sosatie braai with large whole garlic mushrooms and a broccoli/bacon salad on the side :dance: Just before supper, I set my "spy-cam" facing outwards on the far side of the Shimuwini camp fence with the hope of getting something interesting. It was bitterly cold and the camera picked up NOTHING :cry: This is us taking it down the next morning.....
Next day saw us embarking on the trip up to Mopani for breakfast before coming back to camp after popping in to Letaba (we do this loop every year). Before we set off I once again reveled at how great Shims is (for me at least). You can just sit on the grass at any time of day and watch the river - anything can, and usually does, pop into view. Not great photo's, but that morning it was a Saddle-billed Stork that I watched as she hunted in the shallows and one of the many resident crocs cruising by.......

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to all for the nice comments (and encouragement to finish the TR :redface:)

Following from my previous posting.........the road to Mopani was quiet, partly because of the bush being dense and green, partly because we were still all the grips of the flu and partly because we needed some breakfast. Early in the TR is a post that I made from Mopani, showing the cobra we found next to the road. Interesting, one or two vehicles rushed along the H14 in the opposite direction to our northerly heading just before we saw the snake - fully erect with his hood open. I have a feeling these cars must have frightened him. Yet, when we found him he (or she) seemed transfixed - almost unable to move. The sun was already high, but it was still a bitterly cold morning and I think the snake was "unable" to react much in the chill. Fearing that another speeding vehicle would seal his fate, I reversed again and slowly edged the front of my car towards him. He was cold stiff, but eventually managed to get his hood down and slowly slide into the brush besides the road.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Must say I've been a bit disappointed with the service and the breakfast at Mopani for more than 2 years now. I don't want to be over critical, but Mopani must surely have one of the best restaurant views in Kruger and yet they don't seem to rise to the occasion - maybe just me (and the flu I had) :?
Any-hows - after breakfast we took the Tsendze Loop, across the tar road and headed for a pit-stop at Makhadzi. Although the animals were not rare or otherwise special, we had good sightings in this area:
A lazy winter crocodile in the Tsendze River:
Some Giffs
And the very rare one-eared-singing Impi (an image by one of the fawns on their cameras)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Across the H1-6 and on to Makhadzi for a pit-stop, we had some good elly sightings, but not much else. It was my first stop at Makhadzi and it seems like a nice little picnic spot apart from the fact that it was buzzing with people and liquid entertainment when we stopped there :(
Heading from Makhadzi back to the tar and on to Letaba I tried some in-flight pics of this Snake-Eagle
ImageImage
From the bridge over the Letaba I had better luck with some "in-swim" pictures - enjoying these guys cruising like submarines......
ImageImage

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the nice comments........I have the fullest intention to finish the TR off (unlike my previous ones) :pray:
To me the section of road between the Letaba river bridge and the left turn to the Letaba camp is always special. There is always something going on when I pass there and the wide vistas across the river always leave me in admiration. This time round I watched some giraffes jousting close to the road.....
It was then that we ran into a few ellies.......so close to the road that my zoom lens could not get a good body shot. Sorry to those of you that don't find this picture proper, but the skin texture of this behemoth's butt is worth sharing ( :whistle: I hope).

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After the traditional stop at Lateba we swung back for our last night at Shimuwini. There was not much on the road back (bit of a close up skrik with hephalumps on the Shimuwini road :big_eyes:) and we were kinda tired from the long day out. We got to camp late afternoon and I took the opportunity to take in the landscape around camp before the long trek south the next day. Just sitting on the camp lawn the scenery was postcard perfect and I could see kudu, impala, waterbuck, elephant, hippo, crocodile and a bunch of birds......

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey all - a quick(y) confession - I need to briefly interrupt this TR to confess that I did a Kruger Quickie today. Just managed to spend three or so hours in the Park and was planning on sleeping over after the quickie, but alas, would you believe that all of the southern camps were fully booked (sad for me, but good for the park). I've just walked in after driving back from Kruger now and got a few late afternoon pics and some nice sightings.......
........will get into more of the TR this weekend :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

...........mmmmm :redface: already I am looking out for the next quickie. Maybe Camdeboo next week if I am lucky!
Before I get on with the current TR, here are some more pics from my quickie in Kruger yesterday afternoon:

I can confirm that the male Imps have started "settling down" and I am quite sure some females are starting to show a hint of what is to come in spring :hmz:
Saw a few nice birdies.....and some Guinea's taking a late-afternoon drink and contemplating their reflections
Would you believe me if I said I came across 2 groups of four rhino each.......just hope we can say this in a few years time :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi friends - as you've seen......I take forever to finish off a TR. Largely because I get sidetracked by other things and especially other quickies. Well, I will finish off this TR if you allow me to throw some other bits and pieces in.......like this fellow I got a pic of at Roodeplaat today.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And a couple more I took today..... :redface:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next