Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Waterbuck's Quickies are BACK! KNP - June '13
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all.......
...........I must be in the running for the prize as the worst forumite around :( !! Some of you may still remember my incomplete trip-reports under the "Quickies" banner, given that I visited everything from the Karoo National Park, to West Coast, to Addo, to Kruger, to Mokala and more. as quick stops that I wangled into my travel schedule while working. Problem is that I always got so exited about the next Quickie that I never finished the report of the previous one.......... :wall: .............

Well, I am back - wiser and more of an adult - to (try) make amends. Only this time, my next trip is not quite a quickie.........its going to be more of a lengthy indulgence :wink: ..................Shimuwini for 3 nights and then the long drive down to Balule for 3 nights......... (now doesn't that just sound like pure unadulterated pleasure :roll: ). I'm leaving in a little under a week and packing and preparations started a longggggg time ago. I can now proudly say that all the non-perishables and my fair share of new gadgets and toys are packed. Only stuff left to do now is to get the clothes in and buy the perishables before we hit the road.

No well then fine.........I'm so keen to make amends that I am starting this trip report before the trip :dance:

I have got my hands on one of those trophy cams - the kind that you strap to a tree and come back the next day to check what has walked past. This is one of the new gadgets in my arsenal of toys that I intend strapping to the camp fence - without getting myself shocked or otherwise into trouble :tongue: I have been putting it up around the house to test it out and I now know why birds don't like my bird feeder............. and why I hate the neighbor's cat :rtm:
Anyway - back to the good stuff of the upcoming Quickie. As you can see below, the packing has gone really well. I'm just kinda shy to admit openly how small my family is when you see all these niceties packed.........and no I don't have a sweet tooth :whistle: Lets just say that we pack to satisfy any urge.........and yes, we have done trips where we go the minimalist route. BUT NOT THIS ONE!
So, regarding the trip report. I am hoping to give you some updates before we leave and will try my very best to get some highlights out while we are in Kruger (between eating cookies that is). And then I will try and leave-off the planning for the next Quickie ( :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: I have some work coming up in Mozambique) until this trip report is wrapped up. :thumbs_up:

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Quickies are BACK!
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK........JUST 3 MORE SLEEPS!! :dance: :dance:
Packing has gone really well and think we now have all and more in the crates. First thing tomorrow I'll be hauling out the trailer to get the bulk of the packing work completed. Then there will be that akward day in-between when everybody is ready and packed and we pace the passage before we can hit the road Wednesday morning. Early morning muffins in Polokwane and then lunch at Amarula cafe in Phalaborwa before we head for Shimuwini Cottage No 5 :D

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK - so I found out today (again) that there is no medication for plain old-fashioned stupidity :doh: . As I am going to try and put in a day's work tomorrow before we leave early on Wednesday, I started packing the trailer today with all my neatly packed creates. Carried them out one by one and packed them in to the trailer.......from the back........until........with a heart-stopping thud.......
.......now you understand why I need a holiday!! :hmz:

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Friends........just a short note to say that our trip is progressing well. Sadly we all woke up in Kruger yesterday struck down with flu. In Mopani this morning for breakfast and heading south to Biyamiti tomorrow. On the way to Mopani this morning we found this smiley fallow.......my first ever snake in Kruger in the winter. Looking forward to telling you the rest when we get back next week. It's bitterly cold at night, but the veld is green and there is lots of water around for this time of year!!!!! :D

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey there Quickie fans!! Sitting on the veranda of No 8 at Biyamiti right now.......almost all packed up for the sad sad sad trip back home. Was woken by the duet of two male lions close by this morning and with the echo of the dawn call from the Ground Hornbill further afield. Looking forward to starting the trip report tonight when I get home. Was a challenging trip as the flu did its round through the whole family, but I have much to share and tell........ :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Friends.........all safely (and sadly) back in the concrete jungle and have unpacked most of the mountain of stuff we took on the trip. Thanks for all the well-wishes from the flu that hit us in Kruger. Don't think I'm going to get to much writing tonight, so I'm going to start the TR with this picture I took today as we were exiting at Malelane................
Spent the best part of a week in Kruger and probably drove well over 600 km in the park alone, stopped off at many of the major camps also (Mopani, Letaba, Olifants, Satara, Lower Sabie and Crocodile).........AND DID NOT SEE A SINGLE YELLOW RIBBON. . Was I out of fashion, out of season or just outnumbered by non forum members? :hmz:

Well.....I hope all of the ribbon and non-ribbon people enjoy the rest of the TR. I have a couple of thousand pics to sort out, but look forward to posting them!!

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We left Pretoria for Kruger last week Wednesday and got on the road somewhere after 5 am, heading for Polokwane. Stopped for muffins and coffee and then headed straight for Phalaborwa. It was always our intention to stop off at the Amarula Lapa for an early lunch as we have seen the internet pics, but never actually visited. When we got there it seemed we were the only people, but we were greeted with smiles and a glass of Amarula at the door, before being directed to a stylish info center for a short movie on how Amarula is made - actually fascinating and very informative :clap:
Being the only people there we did not hold high hopes for lunch, but ordered anyway. Most things on the menu comes with some sort of Amarula sauce :wink:, but we ended up ordering burgers for the kids, toasted sandwiches and salads. Well........what a surprise........... :dance: :dance: food of the highest (tastiest) standard. They outshone many of the family restaurants that we frequent in Gauteng. Waterdow closed out the meal with an Amarula coffee and I could not resist the Ama-springbokkie. For those of you travelling those ways, it is well worth the stop.
Now, this year we decided to vary our menu a bit, so we felt it good to stop at Roman's Pizza in Phalaborwa and buy pizza's that we would let cool down in the car and which we could re-heat for supper in Shimuwini. This done, it was on to the gate and time for our Kruger Quickie to start. We had been working the kids up to a frenzy of puzzled excitement for weeks about something we would give them as soon as we enter Kruger.............I'll tell (and show) more soon........

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Through the gate we stopped and I handed each of the two kids a new small easy-to-use and not too expensive camera.......bought them on one of those crazy Makro sales :dance: My daughter (11) and son (9) were taken completely by surprise and still in shock as I announced that each day in the Kruger would be a photographic competition with specific themes and that waterdow would be the judge. I don't know how many of you have kids, but this is the best investment I have made in my kids in a long time. They used to get quite bored in the car in Kruger, but a whole new world of observation, laughs and enjoyment opened up for them once they each had a camera in their hands. They saw things and looked for things like never before.......for the whole trip.......and it was a buzz in the car every day. The rest of the first day was a practice session to allow them to get used to operating the cameras. Within minutes they had the hang of it........as you can see.
My nine-year old son's first ever own-photo:
My eleven year old daughter's pic of what we did on the laws of Shimuwini when we got there:

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After entering Phalaborwa Gate and getting the kids busy with their camera's, we took the welcoming drive up to Shimuwini. It became immediately evident that there was a lot of water around for winter (at least in that part of the park). We saw water standing in large pools and in sandy stream-beds, where we had not seen water during June in previous years. The veld was unusually green for winter, but the signs of the floods earlier this year could also be seen.

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Now then........the Waterbuck family for some reason seldom see lions in the Kruger. This has not really bothered us as Kruger has much more to offer than lions (try telling this to some tourists :tongue: ) and we're not fond of a trafficImage This trip was however to change all of this........
Just over the Letaba river on the H14 on our way to Shimuwini for the first night, we came across these two lovers in the grass........ :cam: We were the the only car there..........just us........for about 90 seconds :wink:Image

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the comments MeanderingImage
And so we went on to Shimuwini, doing the unpacking thing!! We got unit No 5 this time and its not a bad house, apart from the fact that I think it may be a better summer house given the large shade trees. As I said before, it was particularly green for this time of year. It was evident from the changed river bed, the newly positioned front fence and the severely damaged bird hide that the January floods had been significant. Yet, two things struck me - it was very green for winter (as I said before) and I had never been so cold at night in Kruger........extra blankets and clothes :big_eyes:
No matter how cold - summer or winter - Shimuwini is a special special place for us!!
Six nights lay ahead in Kruger and incidentally I was joined later that evening by six good friends, the first of which sadly lost his head with the warned up Phalaborwa pizza on night one :D

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks hilda & JeanniR.
Heksie: to appreciate life one must learn not to measure one's quickies in seconds and minutes, but in timeless experiences :think:

On with my report - next morning we were up (not all that early). It was bitterly cold and the flu had taken hold of most of the Waterbuck herd. But it was the first day of the photo competition for the kids with their new camera's and the excitement was running high. The theme for the day was just simply "Family"..........

We hit the road out of Shimuwini......dry wors and casper cookies packed.......and headed for the small no-name waterhole to the east of the H14 just a few hundred paces south of where the S141 joins the H14. The bush was quiet and cold......this poor Emerald-Spotted tucking its drumsticks under its feathers in the morning sun.
As kids will always be kids ( :yaya: ), it didn't take them long to get a pic of recycled Mopani :whistle:
Along the road I found this handsome sprite painted into the background.

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At the waterhole I ran into some other friends of mine; Fran and Colin. Both Fran and Colin stole a peek into the morning mirror to make sure their feathers were not ruffled. They must have heard Quickies was in town.Image
On the loop back to camp we swung by our favorite old dame - my kids only know her as the 2000-year old lady. She is not be biggest Baobab, nor does she have any special significance attached to her (that we know about), but we always spend a bit of time in awe of the old girl. There's not much left of the stones and wire at her base that was once put there to keep the ellies from giving her more worry-lines, but she is wears her age well and still stands in dignity. We always reminisce as to all the things she must have witnessed to in her lifetime :hmz:

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Heks!! Hope you stick around to the end of the TR.
As I said before, it was evident that a whole new world of nature and appreciation opened up for my kids now that they each had a camera in hand. The theme for the day was "family", but they relished in the opportunity to look for and photograph all kinds of interesting things. Like this......I think its a fair photo for a nine-year old from a car window on a cheap camera :cam:

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On the way back to camp I found this Star.........no Quickie can be complete without a Star.
There seems to be a resident group of Nyala around the last section of road just before the Shimuwini Camp, as I often find them in this area. Can't really say I have seen much of them in the rest of Kruger. Not a great pic, but asking the leaves to move away had no effect on them :?

Last edited by Waterbuck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next