Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 3
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: AT LAST, NOT ONE BUT TWO.............
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
JeanniR, BornFree, Trrp,Trrrrrrrr, Pumbaa, Foxy, Mandinga, Carol G, Hilda, BarryEls once again thank you for staying with me on this trip and for all your kind comments. I appreciate everyone of your comments.

The afternoon of Wednesday 29/5 I decided to travel on the S37 named the Trichardt Road. This road is quiet traffic wise but is usually quiet animal wise as well. But it can also be full of surprises at times. This day it was quiet. The only successful sighting was this male and female Ostrich. There is no doubt in my mind that over the past couple of years the Ostrich population in the Satara area has grown considerably.

On my way back to Satara on the H6 it was late evening and I came across a group of cars and knew it had to be a predator sighting. I must admit I would have missed these Cheetah in the low light had it not been for the stopped cars. These two speedsters were surveying the grasslands for their next meal.

And they had to mark their tree log.

And a final photo before heading back to Satara to make gate closing time.

I was very happy with my days viewing. Leopard in the morning and Cheetah in the evening.

More to follow..............

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
The final day of my trip had arrived. A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL for joining me on this trip report. It has been great having YOU ALL on board. From my last post thank you SamoesaWoestyn, Hilda, Trrp-Trrrrrrr, Foxy, John n Poppy, Chirinda, Pumbaa, Sparrow, and TentDweller for all your kind comments.
Thursday 30/5
I travelled south again but this was a quiet day. Not too many sightings.
This Yellow-Billed Hornbill posed long enough for his photo to be taken.

On my way back to Satara near the Sweni Road intersection a small herd of Elephants was about to cross the road. I got my camera ready to take their photo as they crossed the road. Then just behind the Elephants I got a glimpse of a Civet charging across the road. It was a hop more than a run. In the photo you can see his back legs of the ground.

Then at the bridge where the Nwanedzi flows underneath the H1-3 I saw a traffic jam. This had to be a predator. I had to wait my turn to get to them for a quick photo and then to camp to just make gate closing time. It was the Satara pride with cubs.

The final mornings sightings to follow.......

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Friday 31/5. Time to leave but not before one more final early morning drive. My last drive when staying at Satara is to take the S90. I have been doing this for years. Although I did not see any predators I did see two large Buffalo herds. One on the S90 and the other on the H1-4 on the drive back.
This guy gave me the Buffalo stare.

A LBR sat on a dead tree stump soaking up the early morning sun.

And another male Ostrich.

And a final photo of a Zebra family.

A Buffalo herd on the H1-4. They had bunched up waiting to cross the road.

And one of them had an attending Yellow-Billed Oxpecker

I really felt as if I was part of the herd!!

And my final photograph of the trip. A Sabie river giant. Taken from the low level bridge.

And that concludes my May 2013 trip. A most satisfying trip in which I managed to see my first big cat kill followed by a second. A trip I will not forget.

Another huge thank you to you all who joined me on this trip report. It was great having you all on board.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3