Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kruger- only heard about it!!!!
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Thank you all for nice comments;
The journey continues;

We then found this guy moving along through the bush at about 20 km/h. From the look of him I would say he was probably in a bit of a scrap with another hippo. We followed him on his jog for about a kilometre. Yet another first sighting like this for me. He turned towards the road and I could see there was going to be a collision with an oncoming vehicle, who by the way was definitely above the speed limit :naughty: . I stopped in a bit of a shock :shock: so as not to be involved.
Frantically flashing my lights trying to warn the oncoming vehicle but to no avail. I had no idea what this guy was doing, he either did not see me flashing lights or simply could not be bothered. :sniper:
The hippo shot across the road right in front of the car. How the car and hippo missed each other was a miracle. There could not have been more than a metre between them.
I was just relieved that no more harm came to the poor fellow, I am sure he had enough trouble that morning.
I did however greet the other motorist with a not very pleasant hand sign.
I had to hold Newbie back, she wanted get out and give the fool a slap and a good telling off. She was furious :naughty:

Time for breakfast , the table set

food ready

Really enjoyed that breakfast and enjoyed it even more when Newbie and SO did the dishes, while I just chilled out with a coffee.

Just waiting for the dishes to get done, then we will be on our way again :D :D

Last edited by isinkwe on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you all once again for you comments:
They say" breakfast is the most important meal of the day" so whoever "they" is , I will always have a good Kruger breakfast :D :thumbs_up:

Now that breakfast is a thing of the past, off we go again :D

Found these 2, that looked like they were in no hurry to get anywhere

So we moved on. This character was making his way, very slowly across the road

We had to wait for quite a while to make sure he got across safely. He chose a dangerous place to cross- I did give him some advise and told him to use a

next time he wanted to cross a road.

Newbie and So decided to take a drive to Sunset Dam, while I was" volunteered " to stay behind to make a beer/mielie(corn) bread on the fire. Something about not wanting to eat too late in the evening :hmz:

And what do they find lurking in the bushes :shock:

Just my luck :wall: but on the up side , the home made bread turned out pretty well and we did get to eat at a reasonable hour :D

Last edited by isinkwe on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After the girls got back from Sunset Dam and finished telling me about the lions I had missed out on :wall:
Newbie and SO were both saying that I should have gone with them :roll: They had forgotten that they had "volunteered " me to stay behind and make the bread. :roll: :roll:
With the bread done it was time to stoke the fire for the Lamb Chops

they relaxed and reflected on the day gone by. Newbie was complaining about how fast the days go by in the Kruger and how slow a day goes when at work. Something that happens to all Krugerparkers.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Out early in the morning again.
Now I wonder to myself- Newbie can't even get to work on time :wink: :wink: :hmz: :hmz:
yet while she has now become a self proclaimed Krugerparker ( SO and I very pleased that Newbie jumped into the spirit of Kruger so easily) she is out of bed before 5 :sup: :great: :great: :thumbs_up:
Nice to get out of bed and my tea was ready and waiting :D
We met this guy strolling down the road

he marched us backward for about 2 km

Very happy I did not have the caravan behind me :thumbs_up: Luckily he was very relaxed, and I must say I was very pleased to see all vehicles giving him a very large personal space. :D :thumbs_up:
I dread to think what could have happened if I did have the caravan behind me, and I could not turn around or backed up quick enough, you never know how quickly an elephant can get aggravated.

We will meet the same guy later that day again, :shock: in the road again :shock:

We managed to have a chat with the people in the car next to us while we were on our backward journey, the poor chap and his wife were quite concerned that they would not make it to Oliphant's camp before closing( a long drive they had planned for that day) not the kind I would plan to do in a day, although it is possible to drive that distance but not so easy at the speed I drive( another lesson for Newbie) Newbie wants to know why we cant drive up to Punda Maria and back to Lower Sabie in a day. So and I love Newbies enthusiasm. ( think I should have only given her a Kruger map after we had finished Krugerparking)

Swainsons Spurfowl

Brown Snake Eagle( please correct me if I am wrong)

Then another first for me :great: :clap: and I can say with complete confidence that is also a first for Newbie :thumbs_up:

Last edited by isinkwe on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your nice comments:

In all my visits to Kruger, I have never seen these- please correct me if I am wrong, I suspect what we have here is Mountain Reedbuck :D

a pair of Steenbok

dwarf mongoose

The impalas are really in super condition

The drive to the picnic site, was very quiet, we drove many kilometres without seeing much at all :shock: Could not understand why :hmz:
At the picnic site, I had a chat with some other folk , who had also experienced the same quietness as far as sightings go. Some had come from the north, others like us were from the south. So it seemed that it was not only us that were finding sightings very few an far between. But that is the nature of Kruger. It still however does not detract from the peace and tranquillity that Kruger freely gives us.
Breakfast time now, perhaps we will have more luck on a different road on the journey back south :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank all very much for your lovely comments, I am very pleased that you are enjoying the trip with us.

The road back south was also very quiet, :shock: but that still fails to dampen the enthusiasm and excitement in the car travelling with us :clap: :clap: . At this point I was starting to apologise :redface: to Newbie for me not finding many animals, lucky for me Newbie was still as excited as a child in a sweet shop with an all can eat open buffet. :D :D . Newbie reminds me of the very first thing I told her about Kruger-----" Kruger is not a zoo, nothing is guaranteed , and we must always hope that we are in the right place at the right time"
A quiet day in Kruger still beats a busy day at work- no contest.

and then we find the same guy that we had this morning, about 30 km away and on the opposite side of the river from where we first found him earlier in the day :shock: and where- in the road again :o having a game of 'King of the road" - only a fool would argue with the king of the road

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:cry: we head out for a morning drive,our last day :cry:

then back to camp

something to eat, we all share the potato hash brown (note to self- make more or much bigger next time :D )

and then time to start the semi breakdown of our camp :cry: :cry:

We head out to Sunset Dam (Now been proclaimed "Newbie's Dam" :hmz:) :big_eyes: What!!!!!! a Newbie
changing place names :big_eyes: - I will let her keep that name :D :thumbs_up:

The sun begins to set over the dam and our adventure with Newbie

and the moon rises to bid us farewell

I thought the mood would be very sombre back at camp, not so, Newbie was reliving her experiences she had over the last couple of days :D

Newbie----- it was an absolute pleasure and a privilege for SO and I to take you Krugerparking for your first trip. We really enjoyed your company and are thrilled that you enjoyed yourself with us.
And yes , there will be a next time :dance: we have to go back to try and cross some more animals off your list.
:wink: Don't forget the rubber glove :wink: ( for the dishes, :D )

Hope you all enjoyed Newbies trip with us, and thank you all for you your lovely comments.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:45 am 

Dearest Isinkwe,

I cannot thank you enough for an awesome holiday. It was super! I like the name Newbie dam, and I love that you let me rename it, even if its only in my head. hahaha, the end of the trip report made me a little bit sad, especially the beautiful sunset at "newbie dam". I love the Kruger, and everything that goes with it.

I couldnt have asked for a better person to go with. You made every little thing a whole new experience.

I cannot wait to go again. Love you and SO lots!!!

xxx Newbie :cam:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2