Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Update 3/05/2014 KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 am 

Returned last night from another great trip to KTP.

Traveling from Cape town to Upington Via Brandvlei we encountered loads of road works between Citrusdal and Calvinia........LOADS!!!!!

Weather was warm for this late in the year....maybe had 2 chilly nights....for the rest shorts and t-shirt weather...even at night.

Sightings....saw a AWC while setting up camp!!!!!!!!!on the 1st drive after setting up camp......saw a lioness stalking Gemsbok......but she missed them.

Next morning found a lioness and 2 very small cubs walking in the road close to Melkvlei...smallest cubs I have ever seen. Had a brunch at Melkvlei and while returning to Rooiputs at say 11'o clock had a Leopard walk over the road and into the rocky hill :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: in the middle of the day!!!

The evening went looking for the mother and cubs but only found a Male in good shape...a real beauty.

so WOW. What a few days.........

The next day had to drive to 2R for a work phone call.........12k's before 2R saw 3 real big and beautiful male cheetahs......they were looking around and then disappeared over the dunes.

Let my wife sleep in the next morning. Drove to Melkvlei for a breakfast with my 2 boys aged 3 and 4 .....decided to venture a bit further north.....about 12 k's north of Melkvlei while trying to turn around spotted a male lion far away on the dune.........with this the energy levels restored went a bit further north........3 k's down the road saw a car looking at something....slowly drove closer and saw 2 young cheetahs lying under a tree next to the riverbed. I had just parked and what happened was over in a blink of an eye.

A couple of young springbok had ventured into the cheetahs range and the exploded into action the one cheetah killed a fawn about 10 meters away from me....and then another of the young ones clearly confused ran closer to the other cheetah and it was also killed!!!!!! 2 kills in one go :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: My wife; the photographer was still snoring away while all this happened and taking decent pictures with the 2 boys in the car was not easy...........but I am sure I will have some decent ones.

Driving back I was humbled and feeling like a child on his birthday.......when I spotted a Leopard on the same place we saw it a few days earlier!!!!! Again right in the middle of the day again!!!

Getting back to camp my wife was :sup: :hands: .....but sad to have missed this once in a lifetime event.

I told some friends of ours about the sighting of the cheetahs and they decided to drive up and see if they could find them.......they did find them and believe it or not also saw them catch a very small springbok......but they did not eat it.

The afternoon my wife wanted to drive up and see if they were still there.......we found them and while watching them they started eating the 3rd springbok they caught earlier the day.

We also saw a group of 5 lionesses sleeping under a bush at Kransbrak waterhole.

This brought down the curtain of one of the most productive days ever anywhere in the bush!!!!!

Broke camp the next morning very early and left for Mata Mata....we cam across a very fragile and old looking male lion just north of Rooiputs.

Taking the lower dune road we encountered a pride of lions...2 males...3 females and a couple of teenagers at Tierkop waterhole. They were in great shape and looking healthy.

In the 2 days at Mata Mata we only saw Cheetah and spotted hyena.....with latter even coming for drink at the waterhole next to the fence.

Other people in our group saw some lion and even a glimpse of a Leopard while at Mata Mata.

We saw a lot of raptors and even saw one with a snake dangling from its beak.

Only saw bat eared foxes once......which is strange.

There are plenty of young Springbok and other antelope around and I think the predators will have a royal time in the next few months.

Last edited by Gryskat on Sun May 04, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Update 3/05/2014 KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:16 pm 

Thanks! what a report WAW
Sometimes forget about taking pictures, just enjoy the action.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:18 pm 

:clap: wow -how lucky for you to have such wonderful sightings! Hope you have some photos for us :great:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great report Gryskat! You were lucky with all your sightings! Was the AWC inside the camp? Any pictures to share?

The roadworks at the N7 are indeed a "pain in the a..."

Best regards,

Rob

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you so much for the report Gryskat!!

So glad you had such great sightings!! Can't wait to see some of the photos!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sounds like an amazing trip! :big_eyes:
Can't wait to see the photos. :popcorn:

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Great start to the trip Gryskat and looking forward to more :popcorn: .