Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2 trips in 6 months from top to bottom
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear all,

I am sorry we have been so quiet.. I had some or other bug this last 3 weeks, now after my 3rd set of Antibiotics, I should be fine... Vlakvarkvrou has internet problems... thus no communication... We will sort it out hopefully this week.. Thanks for your patience... :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
Good evening to all my friends and thank you for everybody still reading! Kaapsedraai – I hope this makes the time a little bit shorter.

We slept in Letaba the night of 24 December 2012. Whilst unpacking our car we had our first visitors next to the tent.

A delightful +- 1 day old Bambi and mum

During the evening we visited the Bushbaby family nd then went to bed at a reasonable hour.

We were up early on Christmas morning to “catch” the lorry/truck to the place for the Christmas service in the veldt next to the beautiful Letaba river.

This photo was taken by Wildkyker who also attended the service with us

We were “watched over” by this fine young gentleman known to many of you – Andrew Desmet.

And he kept us safe with these curious beasts watching us. Thanks Andrew.

Now for the most beautiful service on Christmas morning in the veldt in the best place on earth!
Let me introduce you to Pastor Leon Taylor and his wife Edelweiss who accompanied us on the guitar.

And our special guest of honour – Baby Bushbaby and her parents (mum Bushbaby75 and dad Mark).

Few more pics of te service

Back at camp we had a hearty breakfast with friends and mites and then we were on our way to Satara.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
Today is 25 December 2013 and after this morning’s very special Christmas service and the nice breakfast, we left Letaba for Satara. I will now post photos of a few sightings on our way as well as some highlights of the evening drive.

Woodie
Impies
Ellies in the Elephants River
Baby Ellie
Amur Falcon
Crested Francolin Chic
Dubble-banded Sandgrouse
Saddle-billed Stork

Lions during the night drive

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear all, I am back on air!! Believe it or not.. I am still not cured of this stupid flu! :wall: :wall: :eviltreath: .. but though luck! Now I go on!

Thank you Kaapsedraai, Toddelelfe. Barryels, Hilda, MM, Anne-marie, Pumbaa, Heksie, Trrp-trrrrrrrr and wbevents for your comments! We had a wonderful Christmas time in Kruger! The service, the baby bushbuck, the night drive with the cute baby lions and to top it all.. Vlakvarkvrou and I sat after the night drive and ate our christmas dinner and the next moment the honey badger ran passed us! Unfortunately no pics. :wall:

It was also a wonderful experience to meet Andrew Desmet. He is such a wonderful person. I am SOOOO glad that he is okay!! :pray: :angel: It is geniune a miracle that he survived the shooting! You can follow his progress on this fcebook page... For those that are on facebook... http://www.facebook.com/groups/531526016907829/?fref=ts.

Now for some time travel... :doh: Next episode wil be in May 2013! From now on I will rather focus to post sightings in the same areas.. Hang on!! It is coming.... :bmp: :w:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And so we are in May 2013 now...

Last edited by Mads on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MAY 2013

Dear all, after a drive and a half!!! We went to book in, and enjoyed an early eveningin Tambotie! We were sooo tired!!

A photo where the H7 (Orpen road) were breached. So everybody needs to drive the Rabelais loop..

Next morning we were up early but unusual sighting avoided us that morning… Only the normal suspects.

That afternoon we were driving towards Ngotso dam on the H1-4 and saw vultures landing… I drove slower, but could not see anything! Then I looked right… and what is it???? a steenbok??? NO!!! a caracal!! I could not believe my eyes!!
It was about a 100m from the road. People would ask what we see, and as I tell them they would leave!!??? I could not understand it… My pics is not the best but you can see it is a caracal… An ellie came passed and it disappeared! This definitely made up for the”dry” morning!It is only the 3rd time that I saw caracal in Kruger!! I thought I have hit the Jackpot… Little did I know!!

Very much cropped…

On the way back the ellie in musth nearly made late for the gate!! I had to reverse about 1km on the Rabelais loop before he decided to let me go past…

:wall: :wall: The video clip doenot want to work!! I will try later again!!! :rtm: :doh:

That night while braaiing the large spotted genet came to visit. She was pregnant, and later a young one playing pica boo also came to visit!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to Phillip1, Anne-marie, Cape of Storms, Heksie, hilda and Meandering Mouse. Here is a bunch of flowers for you! :gflower:

We were sooo fortunate on this trip!

I promised you a video of the ellie in musth on the rabelais loop.

VVV will post next. So we are back in December 2012.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Carol g, I really appreciate it.

Well let me try to finish at least one trip report… My partner in crime (Vlakvarkvrou) has also had a busy year. Our last 2 nights were in Tamboti.

We had an encounter with the honey badger while we were Tamboti. We were braaiing. I started the fire, left the meat on the table, and went to the car. On my way back VVV told me she heard something in the grass.. She was inside the tent. I checked with the spotlight , and saw the badger. The next minute he came up the stairs.. Now what? What do I do with the meat? Eventually I got the meat inside.. . and the badger ran off.. When I wanted to braai, I realised he had his starter.. our steak!!! He came back for more!! (Sorry no photos).

We also did a night drive at Tamboti.. We got soaking wet!!! We had one interesting sighting. Nearly back at camp, we saw 6 hyena catching flying ants! It was so cute… (Unfortunately no pics)

Here are some of our other sightings…
The scarce Common Reedbuck
Leopard tortoise
A Steenbok
A Carmine bee-eater
Swainson’s francolin

2 Scops owls in Satara
We also had good cheetah sightings. This one was on the Sweni road. 3 Brothers..
We also saw this tusker on the Timbavati loop (I think it is Madolo)
A muddy white rhino:
Paradise whydah:
A few nice male lions:
A Leopard on our way to meet Heksie and out of the Park (Btw we had a wonderful meet with Heksie)
Swainson’s Spurfowl and babies on our way out.

Well this TR was one I will never forget!! Such amazing sightings with the most amazing friends! To be continued with even better sightings (according to Mads) :hmz: :D :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Timbits, Trrp-trrrrrrrrr, MM, Carol g and Cape of Storms. I am so glad to hear that we were not the only ones who got robbed.

Well at least I have only 1 trip report to tell you about! We are back in May 2013.

We left Tamboti for our next night at Lower Sabie and we had a wonderful sunrise.. Then we took the sweni road and went via S100 and H6 and then the tar road down to Lower sabie..

We saw these 4 lions lying (as usual) on Sweni.. Then this warthog showed up, but the lions were not interested. A Black backed jackal were also in the vicinity.
Buffalo:
Kori Bustard:
Guineafowl:
A Saddle billed Stork with her 2 babies. ( Ihave never seen SB stork babies on a nest.) Unfortunately it was quite far…

We arrived at Mazithi dam... What a sight! There were about 200 buffalo and about 80 ellies! And it seemed they were in a playful mood. Some ellies were bathing, some were chasing the hippos, some the egyptian geese, some the buffalo. The buffalo were jumping and running and playing with each other! THis kept us busy for more than an hour. I have a video clip, though it is very big.. I will try to post it...

Lion at Muntshe
Serval:

What a day!!! With Amazing sightings!! Do not miss the next 2 days!!! :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Kaapsedraai and Trrp-trrrrrrr,

The buff snd ellies were definately a wonderful sighting!

Here is the video clip as promised...

Last edited by Mads on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The next morning we were out, as the gates open..Sightings started slow, but picked up later. This is our day's sightings!!

Klipspringer:

Leopard with 2 cubs.. We found them on the S21, and as you know not the widest road for a traffic jam… Unfortunately this is the only pic I have. A rude woman (with Mozanbican car) desided to make such a noice because she could not pass, and when everybody made space for her and she got to the front of them she decided to sit there to watch them… :twisted: . Then she made such a noice AGAIN!!! Shouting, hooting, etc. to move the cars that came from the other side that she chased them away.. So we that waited patiently to see them, never got to see them nicely! :rtm: :sniper:

White crowned lapwing:

Martial Eagle:

Crowned Hornbill on the Marula loop... I have only seen them around Punda before:

Vervet Monkey:
We also had another leopard sighting. It crossed the road in front of us. He was to quick for a photo. Still a nice sighting.
A Hippo out of the water..
Bronze winged Courser
The Side Striped Jackal! It looks to me more than a wolf than a jackal.. Unfortunately this is the pics I got.. but it is better than noting!
Just before closing time we found this Pied Kingfisher with his kill at Sunset dam.

Another SUPER day.. So we added leopard and side striped jackal to the list.. What will the last day bring??? .........A LOT!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were the first car on the S21 the next morning. First we found a female lion with tiny cubs.. (sorry no photos) and then these beauts! I thought I would share a few of them! They were lying in the road.. It rained the night before... So sometimes you would see sand in the hair... So pretty!

3 Male Lions on the S21:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The next wonderful sighting was: A Lilac breasted Roller tenderising a frog and swallowing it!.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It was 14:00... when we found this serval on the H10!! I could not believe my eyes!! We spent probably an hour with the serval . What a sighting!!!

It reminded me of the sighting I had 5 years ago on the H10…
Here is the video to refresh your minds…

When I got home I took the photo graphs to check if it was the similar one I saw 5 years ago, that caught the puffadder… And it was the same one!!! I could not believe it!!!!!!! WOW!!! What is the chances that you see the same one in 5 years!!! See if you also think it is the same one…

Photo 2008:

Photo 2013:

How amazing is that!! The same serval with a 5 year interval!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After the serval sighting, I had too little time to travel via Tshokwane to Kruger Gate. .. So turned around and took Eloff street (H4-1). I hate to drive this road in the afternoon.. It can be very busy!! but with time as the limiting factor I had too.. and was I pleased that I did!! :mrgreen:

We came along some cars standing on the side.. I was already checking for a leopard.. but could not see anything.. Untill somebody pointed out it is a ... PANGOLIN!!!!!! only my second sighting ever!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: I was so pleased I took Elof!! :redface:

Video clips of Pangolin:

I was on such a high!! First the serval and then PANGOLIN!!! On our way out we also found this very nice hyena sighting!!!!

Wow!!!! What a trip!! I did not want the trip to end !!! :( Caracal, 2x serval, pangolin, leopard, lion, genet, saddle bill stork with babies, LB roller with its kill, the ellies and buff playing!! !! Absolutely amazing!!!!!! I hope you enjoyed this trip as much as I did!!! Thank you that you enjoyed the ride with me!!!! :gflower: Hope to see you soon again!!! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Mads on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next