Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wildkyker's Mokala Park Day Visit - April 2013.
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here is my travel tale I want to share about our day visit to Mokala Park 2 April 2013.
The Mokala Park is the youngest park that Sanparks have opened. It was opened in 2007. I grabbed the opportunity to visit the Park on our way back from the Eastern Cape.
When I took the turn off from the N12 to the Mosu gate I thought that the gravel road wasn’t as bad as the people say, but I was wrong. It is a badly corrugated road, and I reckon it is greatly because of the farmers going at high speeds on the road. We drove slowly with the car until we got to the gate.
There is a 2 way radio that you use to talk to the people at reception. I called and we were welcomed and passage were granted. We had to report to reception so we drove directly there. Its about 6km inside the park.
Mokala means Kameeldoring and there is lots of the beautiful trees
Koedoe
At reception we got our day visit permit
Inside reception
We decided to walk down the passage to the restaurant for breakfast. The grass was green after the rains and a lady told us that the waterhole in front of the chalets had water because of the needed rain.
We were too late for breakfast. They serve from 8 to 10 am then close to re-open at 12 to 2pm for lunch. The friendly staff took our order for lunch and we were off to explore Mokala Park.
We took the Tessebe loop first.
A first for me was this Northern Black Korhaan
A big Warthog ploughing through the mud
We then turned right onto the Matopi loop
Some Giraffe
You can imagine my surprise to see this lonely Blesbok. Great sighting.
We stopped at the Matopi picnic site
Very rustic and primitive, but that is exactly what we wanted.
A Rooihartbees on his way
Springbok between Wildebeest
Tessebe after a mudbath
A nice close up of a Gemsbok
We made our way back to reception for lunch. The inside of the restaurant
We had the Mokala Burger, and I recommend, because it was very tasty.
After lunch we took the road North to Lilydale. There was closures because of the rain so we took a alternative road that was made available.
Interesting brother of the Kruger Squirrel

Then came a very special sighting for me, in December 2012 I searched for the Eland in Kruger park,but could not find them. I found their cousins here. There was a few hiding in the shade.
We were nearing the Lilydale gate when another special and first ever sighting of a Roan happend. I just saw the bent over backwards horns, when I slammed on the brakes and reversed. As I went back I said to my wife “its either Roan or Sable” and behold
It was the first time ever that I saw a Roan. He just laid there under the tree. I did not get great photos but I did see a Roan Antelope.
We did not even get to the Northern part of the park with the Lilydale Lodge and loops as it was getting late.
At the Lilydale gate I radioed the reception again. They asked for my exit permit number, thanked met for the visit and wished me a safe journey.
As we drove away on a not that better gravel road, my thoughts were that of “what a great day in Mokala Park.”
Although the park is small it is great, there was not lots of cars and people and it is not commercial driven. Its a great escape. I will sertanly visit again to explore the rest of Mokala.

Post subject: Re: Mokala Park Day Visit.
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanx for everybody's views and replies. How wonderful to see these great antelope. Its just a great feeling to have searched so long then finally there it is. It is an amazing feeling. I still have a few animals on my really want to see list. Let the search go on :cam:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]