Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 6
 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: More than Cricket@Kgalagadi March 2013
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A different view of a group pic

and finally thanks to Sanparks, sponsors, all the organisers, mites and their SOs for their contributions in making this a very special event.

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

and of course ....well done Rusty for some excellent camera work, plenty of memories captured :cam: :cam:

now for the animals :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Cricket in the Kgalagadi is alive and well.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Animals before and after cricket in a new thread

And now KTP, March 13, in living colour

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote in reply on her thread:

Richard, I loved your pictures and the memories it brought back. I watched the Two Oceans yesterday. Tim Noakes was running in the half marathon and I thought of our conversation... far too short.

To take this conversation further MM.......

I went to the school stall to support them. I asked if they had any 'diet' coldrinks.....no only 'normal'.
I replied that I could not drink normal, due to diabetes and that sugar was poison!!!!!

The School Principal was sitting there and said "Dames luister vir die Meneer" (Ladies LISTEN).
From brief questions at the stall and elsewhere, it would appear that diabetes is a problem for the Mier Community. Probably thanks to the introduction of western diet, sugar and refined carbs. This would have been a classsical hunter-gatherer community. They are predominantly live-stock farmers, no water to grow crops. The lower income people's basic food purchases are flour, sugar and coffee. Home made bread being their staple diet.

Why did I take note?

A year ago I was in bad condition. I have/had Metabolic Syndrome. Obese (BMI 30+), had beer belly (do not drink beer), high fasting blood glucose, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and low HDL.

My physician had me tested for sleep apnea due to my extreme fatigue. Tests were positive.

Thanks to my optomotrist's hint, I went back to office, googled diabetes, ticked all blocks, got tested and ... yip, I was seriously diabetic. Joined a CDE was put on insulin injections twice a day, received tremendous councilling and support. I was very ignorant about diabetes and nutrition (carbs vs protien vs fat etc)

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At the time Prof.Tim Noakes was in the media, talking about his book "Challenging beliefs". This became my first ever e-book. The nutrition section left me shocked. I created a Twitter account to follow Prof Tim Noakes @ProfTimNoakes

I then bought Gary Taubes' "Good Calories Bad Calories" an amazing book, difficult read for me but highly recommended. (65 pages of bibliography)

Then Dr Richard K Berstein's "Diabetes Solution". Joined the forum on http://www.diabetes-book.com/index.shtml
He believes that diabetics are entitled to normal blood sugars.
First diabetic to monitor his own blood sugar.
At age 45 left business to become a medical doctor and treats only diabetics.
Became type 1 diabetic aged 12, now in mid 70's still working 10 hour days....

Then Gary Taubes' "Why we get fat, and what to do about it"
Easier read than GCBC but just as good.

I spent lots of time away from the Sanparks forum due to reading or trolling the internet for more info.

Presentations were held at UCT Medical School which I attended. The first had guest speakers from Sweden.
Dr Andreas Eenfeldt http://www.dietdoctor.com/
Monique Forsland (South African born author) http://www.lifezone.se/eng/

And then The Centenary Debate Prof Tim Noakes vs Dr Jacques Rossouw http://www.health.uct.ac.za/centenary/p ... ry_debate/

Result: I was shocked/stunned and disappointed by UCT Medical faculty's response

with post mortem http://www.samj.org.za/index.php/samj/a ... /6663/4849

Other excellent site Dr Peter Attia http://eatingacademy.com/start-here

They all (Medical fraternity against) stand for Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diets for diabetics, pre-diabetics, carbohydrate intolerant and those with metabolic syndrome.

LCHF being Banting/Atkins/Paleo/Noakes diets.
vs
the "my plate" advocated by the USA government and most western countries other than Sweden.
http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Default.htm

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The diet I followed per the CDE included cutting starches and high GI carbs but low fat.

I managed to loose a little weight and keep good control of my Blood Glucose (BG).

After 6 months my insulin dosage was decreased.
2 weeks later decreased again and 4 weeks later stopped.
This was 2 days before the Centenary Debate hence my feelings re the faculties response...

While on insulin I had to eat 3 meals a day and snack 2 hours after breakfast and 2 hours after supper.
Basically ate Low Carb Low Fat (ate more fat than CDE recommended) the fat apparently was problematic when on insulin. So BG was controlled, did not put on weight (expected for patients on insulin), BUT I was hungry 24/7.

When insulin stopped I introduced fat, cut the snacks, and am no longer hungry.

Check up 2 months later my weight was down 15 kgs from a year ago, blood work is normal. BG normal, HBA1C normal, blood pressure normal, triglycerides are normal, HDL still a bit low...saturated fats should help increase HDL. And feeling the best that I have for many years.

Why in my opinion is LCHF my new "way of eating" (not once off diet)?
Because high blood glucose is harmful to fine blood vessels ie Extremeties get amputated, kidney damage even the brain via Alzheimers (T3 diabetes).
Carbs are one metabolic step away from BG. Therefore little to no sugar and carbs for me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6