Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 4
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Virgin Visit to KTP.. I Wonder What Is Waiting For Me
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks again for the replies.

So after the cricket we split up for the next 3 days. click click and I were going to Urikaruus while the "honeymoon" couple were going to Mata Mata for 1 night and then back to Twee Rivieren for another 2.

After loading the freezer I was on my way. click click left early and called to say lions made a kill just inside the gate, but when I got there it was all gone, did not even see the carcass :(

It was only 87km or so to Urikaruus so I took it very slow, first of all as I had the time and secondly to prevent any further tyre issues :( Sighting were very quiet but I still enjoyed the drive and the scenary :D

Just after Houmoed I saw a movement under a tree. Far away, but still a Cheetah. I parked and waited, but all it did was lift its head, looked left and then right and rolled over for anothe bit of a snooze.

IMG_1374 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Eventually click click came from the back, saw it and it was time to move on.

I stopped for a few birdies on the way and was chuffed with finding the thick knee as well.

IMG_1405 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1424 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1422 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

A quick stop at Kamqua (parking in the sun, far away from any big trees with very big thorns) :roll: and I VVSG and SO caught up with me. A quick chat and I walked around the car to inspect the tyres and OH NO, a thorn was stuck in the right rear tyre. :evil: I looked at it and decided well that is where you will stay. I will not touch you and I hope you cooperate and stay there for the next 5 days :roll: I think VVSG and SO were relieved that we spending the next few days apart as I dont think his ribs could have taken changing a tyre :)

Just after Kamqua waterhole, which is not far from Urikaruus we found these sleeping lions under the trees.

IMG_1415 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

We stayed a while and carried on to Urikaruus. I loved it from the minute I saw it and must say it has become my favorite camp in KTP :D Definately a place I will stay for minimum 5 nights next time I go :D

A quick check in, unpacking and must say click click was great helping me carry all my stuff up those many stairs, first to the kitchen and then to the bedroom.

I had a nice shower, relaxed watching the waterhole, which was right infront of our unit and then it was time for the afternoon drive. There was no question about it, with 3 sleeping lions so close to camp that is where we were heading. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So we went back to the lions :D The great thing about staying at the wilderness camps is only a few ppl, 4 or maybe 5 cars at most. We all had prime position watching these lions waking up. Unfortunately for me, golden light was not to be as it was still just so hot, they would not move out of the shade :shock: We spent the next 3 hr with these lions and I hope you dont shoot me for posting the pics of "just" lions doing what lions do :roll:

I loved it and I hope you do too.

Arriving and they just waking up
IMG_1483 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1488 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

One female stretch and moved to another position.

IMG_1582 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

The male watched her with a beady eye, rolled over and went back to snoozing

IMG_1559 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and with that I have almost exceeded my posting on this page....Turn page turn I need to post more pics of the lions and then carry on with this report :lol: :roll:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for helping to turn the page and your comments anne marie, click click, lion queen, Trp-trrrrr, Pumbaa, john n poppy, Meandering Mouse, hilda and barryels. :D

I cant tell you much more of these lions as you all know what they like, either sleeping or just rolling around or just licking their lips or yawning or cleaning themselves......apart from another thing that left me wanting to find one of those little airplane bags to "gag" into :roll: :|

so here it goes....pictures only...think you tired of me chatting here and not showing :roll: :shock: It looked like he was walking in his sleep with his eyes still closed.

IMG_1599 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1606 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1615 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1673 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1701 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1717 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1814 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1839 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

And with that I have to wait again for the page to turn and show a few of them moving around :D :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Jonkers, anne marie and Hilda I loved sitting with them, and for those who know about pics, please know I did not crop at all..They were right next to us...sometimes I had to take up the 40d with the 24-105 lens and I could just fit them in....I love the lions in KTP...they are huge...just look at this ones mane...A Black Maned, Well fed lion In KTP....I hope I see him again next year!! :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank your for all your help in turning the page, and those commenting :D Jonkers, anne marie, hilda, Philip1, kite, john n poppy, barrels, Trrp -trrrrr, Cape of Storms

RichardJ - this was not the last report of flats :redface: :evil: I was finished by this time already and the first thing I did when waking up was to check the tyres....pooping myself just incase the thorn decided to desert me :redface: :shock:

GavinW - you had a week of hell with the auditors, for me it was a very different week - working in Doha in a Tower on the 49th Floor, we had 2 tremors from the earthquakes in Iran and the one on the border of Iran and Pakistan...so sad so many lives were lost and thank God we are safe, but not a nice experience with a building shaking and rocking and rolling :evil: :evil: I would much rather have the auditors on my back than this :roll: :D

Lionspoon, yes the 17th March our first night at Urikaruus :D :D Think same day we met you on the road :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And with this the last pic of the lions. I promise I wont show you anymore lions as this the best and last sighting of them :( or any other lions for that matter. :?

The lady got up and it was time to use the loo. As mentioned before, please know I have not cropped any of these pics, they were just right next to us and I did not even had to zoom in :D

IMG_1496 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

She did her business and I must tell you, IT STANK :evil: :D I wished I had a bag in the car, but instead decided to rather have a beer and enjoy the smell of hobs coming up my nose than this lot.

_MG_5873 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

The male came over to have a smell :roll: why in the world does he want to do that :shock: I could smell it from my car :redface:

_MG_5891 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

And then she wanted to smell or clean as well???

_MG_5894 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

So after that "bad" one I think he wanted to tell her it was OK, no matter how bad you poop, I still love you :D

_MG_5896 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

And with that bit of love and whatever else, they just did what lions do best...go back to sleep and that was our last view of them

_MG_5916 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

It was time to return to camp and get the fire going and enjoy the sights and sounds of Urikaruus :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you for the comments carol G, lion spoon, Pumbaa, Chappie, anne marie and TobieO....

A trip report to me should be about having fun, not just reporting pics and sightings, and Oh My...Im really having fun showing you my first trip to KTP, I might report sightings in the wrong places, but then I dont drive around with a notepad or an IPad or a GPS....its just as I remember it :D

We arrived back at camp, the fire was going and somehow the crows, lots of crows in KTP, got inside and had a sample of our meat...Im sure they did not like the marinade on the sosaties and left most of it for us.....we had YR ppl next to us Landy1 and they had not YR so click click sorted them out by cutting hers in half....and then....the foxes came..my first sighting of Cape Fox, now im not sure why they stayed around, maybe the ppl before Landy1 came fed them...but they would not leave and unfortunately we did not have a good light, mine was stolen during the cricket at the braai at TR and the one click click had was good, but not good enough, so with this my first pic of the Cape fox.

IMG_1855 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

That night I woke up freezing...i was sooo cold and got up to get a blanket out of the cupboard, you cant believe that a few hours ago I was sweating and at Urikaruus for the next 3 nights I went to bed with a blanket and the duvet covering me :shock:

The next morning as you would and I would we drove back to the lions, but NO lions in sight...a lot of animals around, and then I saw something in the shade...

IMG_1896 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

2 spotted hyenas came running out from a ditch..they were covered in blood and as much as I wanted to see what they ate or where they ate, I could not see.....the one looked like it was in a huge fight, and here are the pics..

IMG_1901 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1903 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1912 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and with that the last look of hyenas in KTP....the springbok in the background were as confused as me.. :wink:

IMG_1914 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and with that sighting I turned North and went up the road to see what else was waiting for me.. :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So after not finding the lions, but only the bloody hyenas I decided to drive up towards Mata Mata...at Urikaruus waterhole this mongoose sitting on the rocks at the waterhole

IMG_1921 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I only drove up to Dertiende Boorgat and found this what I believe is a Gabar Goshawk, but will probably be proofed wrong again and its a juvenile PCG :shock: :roll:

IMG_1936 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and then my first Giraffes for the trip, they are so common in Kruger, but seeing them in KTP was a real treat :D

IMG_1939 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and just before I returned to camp to relax and watch the waterhole this Black Shouldered Kite peeked down at me from above.

IMG_1955 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and with that I have almost exceeded the number of pics posted on this page...

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
superb Mongoose :clap:
the raptor could be a juv Gabar Goshawk, due to the lack of white under the neck, did you remember the size ?
and magnificent Black-shouldered Kite :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And with this the last pics from March 19 at Urikaruus.

I returned to camp and met our new neighbors, Germans who had come to Africa and went Kruger, Etosha and now KTP :D They had a car smaller than the smallest car, but their dinner table was laid out with a crisp white table cloth, candles and glasses while the fire was going on the side :D They complained about the sightings as they had not seen any lions in KTP :( I felt sorry for them and when they asked me to take a pic I obliged as its part of what they would show ppl back in Germany. A nice couple, friendly and they had such high regard for what they had seen in Kruger and my heart was pointing to the place I love most :( Not long and I will be there...8 months to wait.

Ok on with the last pics...

I tried my hand at something i saw a friend, Jumbo, did before, but I think beer in a wine glass is not the right commodities, so here is my pic or what I tried to take of the waterhole and the hills reflecting in my beer in a wine glass :roll:

IMG_1973 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Some Springbok were around the waterhole until this Kori Bustard came and chased them away with feathers fluttering and showing.

IMG_1979 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

The Germans had a strong flashlight and before long the Cape Foxes arrived and they were great is shining the light for us so we could take some pics. I thank them and hopefully they will come back to KTP for more than 3 nights and see it all :D

IMG_2001 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_2010 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_2013 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

The next day I would drive up to Mata Mata and spend the night again with my good friends VVSG and SO and click click..tbc

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

March 18 before I went out for a drive and found the hyenas, sipping my tea and watching the Lanner Falcon chasing the doves and other birds around...It made a kill. (I think I need a bigger and longer lens for KTP :P )

IMG_1880 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_1892 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

And another Kori Bustard coming for a drink giving me a show..

IMG_2097 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

After walking around my car very carefully, inspecting all tyres and the thorn still stuck squarely in the tyre I made my way up the road to Dertiende again..not much happening but I found this bee-eater next to the waterhole

IMG_2076 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

And a Jackal drinking...

IMG_2054 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

A very slow day for sightings for me, but I still enjoyed the sights and sounds and returned to camp to start the fire for a lamb potjie which we both enjoyed trying to get the last of the vegs etc done as we only had another 2 nights left after Urikaruus.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Hi Martie,

Here is the reason for us being woken up in the early hours of the night, to give attention to him, whilst normally in conversation with his friends in the vicinity :tongue: .

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Let me get on with this report. Its almost time for the Chappies to go on their holiday and I would like to finish before that.

It was with a heavy heart that I left Urikaruus, I really enjoyed my stay there. It was time to meet up with VVSG and SO again at Kalahari Tented Camp and also anne marie was coming for dinner :D I was told by DQ about a new shop just outside Mata Mata and told that they sell Springbok fillets and other meat. As I had bought gifts for the girls here in Doha, but nothing for the husband I thought it would be a good idea to take some fillets for him. So I set off on my way to Mata Mata

My first sighting of the day a very nice tick for me with this Pygmy Falcon

IMG_2101 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

At Dertiende Waterhole the jackals were waiting again and I had lots of fun taking over 200 pics of them drinking as the light was just so good and I was the only car at there.

IMG_2108 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_2123 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

At Veertiende Waterhole I met up with anne marie who was waiting for a Kori Bustard to come drink and a quick chat and confirming dinner that evening I was on my way again, but she told me that a little further on is a Ludwigs Bustard walking towards the water..Wow that would be nice to see...and see it I did, although far away..

IMG_2179 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

This section of the loop was very, very corrugated and I took it very slow, saying a quick prayer every now and again that the tyres would last and the thorn would remain stuck in its place :(

Just before the end of the loop a big tree and as I was looking up to see if it had any thorns I found this African Wild Cat staring at me.

IMG_2158 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_2162 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

IMG_2168 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

Close to Mata Mata the giraffes again.. :D :D

IMG_2193 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

And with that I have to get going, its weekend here, Friday and I need to get ready to go to church :D Until later enjoy :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I arrived at Mata Mata and first had to fill up, then went to the shop to have a look around and made sure they had ice :D

I then went to the immigration and asked if I could go to the shop, they told me I had to walk :shock: Luckily I had my brace on with me knocked knee and they took pity on me and said I could drive through the gates :D They did not ask for my passport or even checked my car, but Im sure someone kept a close eye on me to make sure I don't abscond via Namibia to somewhere else :D

The shop was a bit of a disappointment as I was really looking forward to buying my son in law some Springbok fillets, but they had none...instead I bought a very nice lamb rib and my mouth was watering just looking at it....raw..but that night it will be done to perfection :D

At least I could send the pics to David saying wow, what a great mother in law you have. I went all the way from Doha to South Africa and then all the way to Namibia to try and find you a Springbok fillet :lol: :cry:

_MG_5951 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and then I had to drive all the way back to South Africa again, without it :cry:

_MG_5954 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I arrived at Kalahari Tented Camp at the same time as VVSG and SO and first job was to offload the freezer, by now almost empty as we only had 2 nights left. A nice 4 bed unit, but NO DOOR on the bathroom, at least it had a door for the toilet, but I did not feel like undressing and dressing and showering with all my friends to see my rolls :redface: :lol: so my shower had to wait until the next morning when I knew they were somewhere else.

It was HOT and no fan, no air conditioner, and with that Kalahari Tented camp is my least favorite camp in KTP, I would from the reports I read from anne marie, RichardJ and others rather stay at Mata Mata in the new riverfront accommodation.

We had a great braai and food with anne marie joining us, and some good chats around the fire and it was sad to know our time was running out...Only 1 more night left.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Waking up early the next morning and click click left I sat outside having my tea, made specially for me by VVSG, so nice to have someone giving me a cup of tea when I wake up :D ...A little pearl spotted owlet was in the tree close to us, but with bad light I did not get a good pic :roll: We loaded the freezer and with VVSG and SO busy outside loading their pickup and sorting out other things I took my change and jumped into the shower :D

A quick walk around my car and all was fine, no flats yet....so I carried on. I saw the "sick" PCG the previous day, but as it was in the shade, hidden in the trees I did not post a pic. I was hoping it was gone and fine...

During the night the wind blew and I had one or two dunes to go over and holding onto my steering I saw something in my rearview mirror It was anne marie :D I put my foot flat on the petrol pedal and was so slightly and so slowly sliding across the dune and moving at a snails pace....luckily I knew if I got stuck anne marie will be there :D Im not sure if she would have been of any help, but it was good to know that I had someone behind me whom I knew. I did not look left or right, just eyes on the road and hoping I make it through.

At the place I saw the PCG the previous day I stopped, just after the sandy patch...and it was there, looking a lot perkier than the previous day..I could see anne marie and other cars coming from Mata Mata stopped about 200m behind me, but no ways I could go back on that road, not matter what they saw :D :D

IMG_2203 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

The wind blew a bit and it ruffled its feathers...

IMG_2204 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

anne marie caught up with me to tell me they all stopped for an AWC lying next to the road :cry: :roll: I have seen 2 but would have liked to have seen another one on my last full day drive in KTP....not to be...wrong car, wrong tyres and I was paying the price :evil:

Down in the river bed the Blue Wildebeest were coming towards the waterhole, and again the drought was showing in their movement.

IMG_2207 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

A mother stopped for a few minutes to have the little one have a drink

IMG_2211 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

and just before Gemsbokplein another far away Cheetah lying in the shade. Story of my life in KTP, only far away cheetahs.

IMG_2221 by mgoddard2007, on Flickr

I carried on to Kieliekrankie and again the road was very bad, lots of holes and very corrugated. I knew I had to leave at gate opening the next morning to make my departure from TR to Upington at 9am, so it was going to be an early night. We had a braai at VVSG and SO and I also met another YR, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name :redface: :redface: :evil: I know that she was surprised to see me and that she read and enjoyed the blog, Im really sorry I cant remember, so if you are reading this, please know I enjoyed meeting you :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next