Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kgalagadi seen through my crystal ball
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We returned from KTP two weeks ago and I thought I would share a bit of KTP as seen through my crystal ball :D
I should have looked into it before we left for the park and maybe we would have been a bit more prepared for the temperatures that soared high above 40 degrees..... believe me, even up to 47 degrees :shock:
BUT, here I sit and already I long to be back :doh:

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi seen through my crystal ball
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: thanks everyone, let me now share a little of our impressions of this Feb visit.
In all the 15 years that we have been going to the park, we have never seen it so dry and never experienced heat to the extent that we did this time.
We have been 3 x in Feb, many many visits in March, April and September and once in June and December. Each visit has been very different and this time as I said was the HOTTEST and the driest. However, of course we had a fabulous time.
A mating lion couple was our first predator sighting on route to Kielie Krankie for our first night in the park.

What a wonderful feeling it was to arrive at Kielie, however , a braai for our first evening in the park was not to be :( The wind was far to strong and with the worry of sparks flying stressing me, pan fried cheese grillers is what it was! Something else that I could not do was see a Kielie Sunset through my crystal ball! Once I got over that, there was nothing left for me to do but just relax, smell the Kgalagadi air and listen to the nights sounds although the wind somewhat put pay to that.

Willem was happy to greet us the next morning an show us some visitors :D The male was just across the road behind the parking area and the other to alongside the road before you reach the parking.

A beautiful day awaited us

Still a bit determined to see Kielie though my crystal ball, I attempted my first shot! I had not had time to play around with it before we left home , so it was going to be a hit or miss. Still , the wind was blowing and I did not think I would be a happy camper if the wind blew it off the balcony. However, I will show you my attempt, not great but still I know it was taken at Kielie! :wink:

Something else we decided to do differently this holiday was not to leave camp at gate opening time. While slowly packing up and having a coffee we saw this Brown Hyaena. We were so happy as a Brownie was tops of our wish list :thumbs_up:

A great start to our holiday!! We still had 10 days to go, 5 nights camping at Nossob and 5 nights at Urikaruus :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Thank you for all your comments. I am missing the park so much, heat and all :tongue: and the more I go through my pics the more I realise just how lucky we are to spend time there! Then, I get frustrated with myself when I look at pics and think "why did I not take more ? Or, why did I not retake it because I would have preferred another angle etc etc :wall: " The only way to get around that is to plan another trip hey :lol: thank goodness my SO does not read my reports :naughty:

The route to Nossob via the Kamqua/Dikbaardskolk road was yet again, so different from previous times. The dunes were exposed due to fires from some months back.

This Pygmy falcon was going nowhere , it sat still while we happily clicked away

Saw this little suricate along the dune road , obviously also feeling the heat.

We arrived at Nossob and set up camp :dance:

Our setup, as seen through my crystal ball :D

A quick peek to see what was happening at the waterhole, revealed this beautiful Bateleur. I'm sure if I had my long lens with me he would not have been there!

Oki doki, that's it for this afternoon, so until tomorrow, early morning ....

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Thanks once again for your lovely comments :D
As I mentioned before, we did not rush out of camp at gate opening time, instead while a Nossob, we enjoyed early morning coffee in the hide while watching and listening to the kalahari wake up. Sometimes I was amazed as to how we managed to open our eyes in the mornings as the lions roared alongside the camp fence for 3 nights in a row :shock: :D Magnificent :dance: :dance:
Right now, I wish I was still sitting in the hide, it was so tranquil and so beautiful

After all these wonderful sightings, our coffee mugs very empty and so was our stomachs, bacon and eggs was on the menu :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Your comments inspire me to get cracking with the rest..thanks everyone :D
On route to Dikbaardskolk picnic spot for breakfast

Seen on Maries Draai

While cooling off in the pool the afternoon before, we were told of a leopard that killed a black backed jackal at Kaspersdraai. Of course we kept our eyes peeled to spot the leopard, but no leopard, only the jackal which the leopard hung in the tree :shock:

These two were seen close to the picnic spot and had obviously had a feast judging by the size of their stomachs. We did not stick around for long as our stomachs were feeling rather empty.

Saw these Kudu right opposite Dikbaardskolk trying to shelter from the heat

There were plenty of these pretty Agamas seen on route

After this we were ready to get back in the car and head back to Nossob for a swim.

Before leaving I needed to get my crystal ball into action

And then it was back to camp for this

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Greg is quite the cool dude hey Dreamer :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ha ha Gavin , I think he thinks so too :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good morning, thanks for reading :thumbs_up:

After cooling off in the pool, I thought some leisurely time in the hide would be great !!
After my crystal ball revealed this

and this

My breath was taken away when I looked up at the waterhole.
My ball revealed this, I didn't know how long she had been there for so this was a quick not very well focused pic, but still fun :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]