Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you drive slowly and look for the small and large then you will be rewarded with sightings such as yours...fantastic selection. :clap:

John :thumbs_up:

Back again -Kruger - April 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:53 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa

Another great episode with awesome sightings and pics. :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous pic of your relative. :clap: ..I do also like them have one on y key ring. :dance:

Stunning pic of the Saddle billed stork building nest. :thumbs_up:

More please :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

stunning pics again, Pumbaa. :clap: :clap:

What a nice variety of animals you saw. Lovely baby zebras and waterbuck.

I am really :mrgreen: about the jackal as I have never seen one in KNP.

TR KNP 2013 Gatita's KNP - will we visit a green park again? March 2013

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:27 am 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
WOW Pumbaa I've missed a lot on your TR :redface:
What great sightings you had with the badger in camp :mrgreen:
And then the lion in the road, what a great way to spend the morning with a luke warm cup of coffee :thumbs_up:
Just love all the zebs, and the tawny and the waterbuck and the thick knee :clap:

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Pumbaa, your photographs are AMAZING, especially the ones of the baby zebras and elephants, thank you for sharing :gflower:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:09 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Stunning sightings with pictures to match Pumbaa and Timon! I love the Warthog and the baby Zebra with his mom! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful Ellies and an awesome Kori Bustard and all the other feathered friends! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
All I can say is :clap: :clap: :clap: .....your images and stories :dance: :dance:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:35 pm 

Kaapsedraai wrote:
WOW, Pumbaa, a jam packed chapter with magnificent :thumbs_up:

These zebras with babies - one just cannot help capturing on camera. They are really fun to watch. :dance:

I particularly love the jackal in the grass looking to the side - beautiful composition. :clap:

The birdies are also amazing and another enjoyable chapter. :clap:

Thank you.... :thumbs_up:

Sometimes the high grass can be the pest but sometimes it is great for some photographic experiments - Although must say after the tons of snow we had here prior to our departure it was a feast for the eyes to see long green grass :P

Meandering Mouse wrote:
How wonderful to capture Saddlebills building a nest. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: that is so 8) . They are so fragile that this is an uplifting picture.

I had a bit of a chuckle at your Kori and bee-eater. The ''expression'' on the Kori was just so comical.

:popcorn:

The nest building couple was also for us something very special at the kori looking and the bee eater was a by mistake shot :thumbs_up:

Cape of Storms wrote:
Some great photos and wonderful that the Ellie's were so peaceful! Love the SB's making their nest!!

Gladly in the middle the ellies are far more calm than those in the South or North at least according to our experiences 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 pm 

john n poppy wrote:
If you drive slowly and look for the small and large then you will be rewarded with sightings such as yours...fantastic selection. :clap:

John :thumbs_up:

You are so right and you will see so many things when you simply stop and let the animals come :P

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa

Another great episode with awesome sightings and pics. :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous pic of your relative. :clap: ..I do also like them have one on y key ring. :dance:

Stunning pic of the Saddle billed stork building nest. :thumbs_up:

More please :popcorn: :popcorn:

My relative can sometimes also be comical but they are very special ones :dance: :dance: :dance:

gatita wrote:
stunning pics again, Pumbaa. :clap: :clap:

What a nice variety of animals you saw. Lovely baby zebras and waterbuck.

I am really :mrgreen: about the jackal as I have never seen one in KNP.

Until this trip the jackals were also for us a rare sighting but somehow with this trip the spell was broken as we saw many around Satara and later at Mopani as well :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:41 pm 

Heksie wrote:
WOW Pumbaa I've missed a lot on your TR :redface:
What great sightings you had with the badger in camp :mrgreen:
And then the lion in the road, what a great way to spend the morning with a luke warm cup of coffee :thumbs_up:
Just love all the zebs, and the tawny and the waterbuck and the thick knee :clap:

The honey badger was performing a show but it was great to see same so close although I definitely prefer seeing them in the park instead of in camps :?

tent dweller wrote:
Pumbaa, your photographs are AMAZING, especially the ones of the baby zebras and elephants, thank you for sharing :gflower:

Gladly that there are many zebras and ellies all over in the park and it is making such a fun to simply watch them :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 pm 

hilda wrote:
Stunning sightings with pictures to match Pumbaa and Timon! I love the Warthog and the baby Zebra with his mom! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful Ellies and an awesome Kori Bustard and all the other feathered friends! :dance: :dance:

One of our best kori sightings we had at Mopani but the ones on that road were also plentiful and not at all shy :dance:

Jan van Wyk wrote:
All I can say is :clap: :clap: :clap: .....your images and stories :dance: :dance:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Jan and it is also great for me to share them with all of you :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 pm 

The male even flew down and was now raiding the grass close to where we parked right in the middle of the waterbuck group in order to find something usable for the nest.

She was meanwhile busy in putting everything at its right place and finally settled down – Gladly to hear that they indeed were successful in raising some fluff balls as Katy in her report posted a picture of the nest with the little ones.

A wildebeest was now also coming closer and joined the waterbuck group out of which some meanwhile stood up and started munching and whilst we were busy in watching from the saddle-billed storks to the waterbucks and then back again we spotted two secretary birds on the other side of the road.

WoW – That sighting nearly topped the saddle-billed storks because secretary birds are a rare sighting for us in Kruger and we only had the honour in seeing them only twice so far there!

It was, however, not easy to capture them as they were nearly the whole time on the run and either one of them was hidden by a bush or grass when we were about to press the button then the one we just focussed was hidden and the other one was posing nicely and so it carried on

as they were permanently on the move and they could even run extreme fast and we had troubles in following them. We already thought that the sighting was over but then they returned via another bush and even came a bit closer.

What a fantastic day so far we had and nearly the whole drive on the S90/41 we in fact had the honour in meeting only a handful of other cars so nobody was chasing any animals away and we had also enough time in stopping excessively for our feathered friends although it was a Sunday!

We even still had a lot of time in examine more wildebeests, zebras and carmine bee eaters

and captured some impalas as a large herd was nearly blocking the whole road and some of them could not decide

on which side of the road the grass or leaves might taste better but with their indecision we had plenty of time in being part of their herd and smelling them and hear them barking.

The whole morning is was nice weather with a bit sunshine and clouds and it was not that hot and really pleasantly so maybe this was also one reason why we saw that much on that day. At Guzani dam which we never saw that full as this year we enjoyed the silence as long as the hippos kept quiet and finally we drove back once again via the S100 where our lions from early morning could not be spotted any longer and compared to the just driven S90 and S41 this road was deadly silent besides a group of waterbucks with some little ones between them

and they even allowed some nice mother and youngster picture

and with that sighting we named this road from now on the “waterbuck” road as you either will see everything on that road or nothing but you can always rely on the waterbucks as they will always be there!

Finally it was time to relax a bit in camp and whilst doing so my trrrp-trrrrrrrrrr friend’s did start their concert again and needless to say that this was one of the best concerts in my life so far.

Meanwhile the sun chased the clouds completely away and it was a sunny and nice afternoon and we decided to see what might come across the S90 once again. The light was simply brilliant for photography and now only the animals had to show up – First we spotted a warthog mom with her piglets running in front of our car – a pity was that they did not turn around so we only got theirs bums.

One of the many present red backed shrikes did pose so nicely so Timon could not resist in taking another picture

and also a banana bird had already an early dinner and then the ostriches started their show

and they were indeed in good mood and allowed an excessive photo shooting – It was a group of five in total, 2 females, 2 males and one nearly grown chick

and they were very hungry

and some urgent things also had to be done.

After spending quite an entertaining time with them they walked away farer into the bush and for us it was time to explore that road once again a bit more.

One of the many or as already said maybe once again the same kori bustard showed up

and also an elephant bull came across

and another kori which was definitely not the same and far too far away for a picture!

to be continued with the naughty ones....and some never seen before........

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Pumbaa!

What a stunning stunning stunning bird day you've had! With awesome pictures of all the birds!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love the cute little pumbaas, they're still very small!

Like your Ellie, I've got nice closeups of him too near Satara!

Rhino poached 2013 - 951, 2012 - 668, 2011 - 448, 2010 - 333, 2009 - 122, 2008 - 83.
Total 2600!

Our natural heritage is being stolen from us one by one!

Make your voice heard and please support a Rhino Project!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
again nice serie of birds :clap:
I specialy love the Ostriches :dance:
and the Secretary :dance:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Another wonderful full day in the Park with lots of stunning sightings Pumbaa and Timon! Awesome pictures of quite a variety of birds on your way! :clap: :clap:

Stunning pictures of the beautiful Impies too, and the Warties! :dance: :dance:

Waterbuck and Ostriches also superbly captured! :clap: :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 67  Next