SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Love all the birdies, my faves are the Guineafowls :D
The Baby Zebra so cute on of course the Wilddogs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :wall:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wild Dogs! :shock: You're kicking off with a great start! :dance:

I think your "Juvenile Groundscraper Thrush" is maybe a Female Violet-backed Starling - big on my wishlist.... :mrgreen:

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a great selection of bird pics and the wild dogs to finish off...this is going to be a great TR.

John :thumbs_up:

Back again -Kruger - April 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:19 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
WOW you had great sightings so far and this is officially only Day1 :big_eyes:
All the birdies I'm enjoying a lot!!!! Especially the colourful white fronted bee eaters and your bulbul :clap:
The rhinos are bootiful! :dance:
And then to see doggies on day 1 :big_eyes: what a great surprise!!!!! Amazing kiekies and a great experiemce I believe!
Enjoying the TR immensely :popcorn: :popcorn:

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Great birdy shots, Pumbaa. :thumbs_up:

First time I am seeing a 'ground scraper thrush/ - thank you for sharing. :cam:

The zebra filles are so cute :cam: and you were fortunate to have some wild dog sightings. :dance:

Looking forward to more :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 pm 

Pumbaa,
Lovely show of the animals and birds ...great pics !!
Seeing the Painted Dogs first day gives a boost.... one of the specials to see :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:39 pm 

anne catherine wrote:
The best trip ever,Pumbaa.....this is promising :dance:
Just the beginning,and Timon already managed a lot of brilliant captures of feathered friends :thumbs_up:
I see one more time you had the chance to see the Wild-Dogs :dance:
Waiting to hear more about this lovely sighting :D

I think the last trip is always the best trip ever :thumbs_up:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,

Stunning pics of the Zebras :thumbs_up: ... they always make for super pics...love the little ones hair style :dance: , must use a special hair gel...may be called "Oh natural". :hmz: :lol:

Wow!!! ..the birdies are all absolutely stunning..all are so crisp and clear. :clap: :clap: ...such a huge variety and you hardly moved to find them. :wink:

:big_eyes: Wild dogs....on day 1... :mrgreen:

The variety of birdies was this year incredible - There are still so many different ones to come :dance:

Elsa wrote:
Wonderful start Pumbaa and how lucky you were to find doggies so early on in your trip!
Love all the bird pics! :thumbs_up:

Yes, the last years we were blessed with dog sightings and we will never getting tired in watching them :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:42 pm 

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

Absolutely stunning photos of all your feathered friends :cam: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And then you come upon the wild dogs!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh WOW, I can't wait to see and hear about the time you spent with them :popcorn: :popcorn:

Keep your :popcorn: ready - Although I did have a hard time to chose the best pictures :whistle:

hilda wrote:
Unbelievable how many different kinds of birdies you already saw Pumbaa and Timon! Beautiful pictures of all of them too! :clap: :clap:

The baby Zebras are absolutely stunning, one simply cannot get enough of them! :dance: :dance:

Love those sleeping Rhinos too, and also the Guinea Fowl family! How cute are those chicks! :clap: :clap:

You were so lucky to already have found Wild Dogs on your first full day! Looking forward to read all about them! :dance: :dance:

The often we visit the park the more birdies we see - I think we meanwhile turned into enthusiastic birders :tongue:

Meandering Mouse wrote:
What a cutie Zebbie :D and more feathered friends... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

and

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Although more than a daily sighting zebras are always worth to stop for :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm 

katydownunder wrote:
Love all the birdies, my faves are the Guineafowls :D
The Baby Zebra so cute on of course the Wilddogs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :wall:

Guinea fowls are so difficult to photograph as they are always running around like mad but gladly this time they were a bit more relaxed :thumbs_up:

Bushbuddies wrote:
Wild Dogs! :shock: You're kicking off with a great start! :dance:

I think your "Juvenile Groundscraper Thrush" is maybe a Female Violet-backed Starling - big on my wishlist.... :mrgreen:

You are right - Thanks for the corrected id - but still a new bird for us :dance:

john n poppy wrote:
What a great selection of bird pics and the wild dogs to finish off...this is going to be a great TR.

John :thumbs_up:

We nearly saw all colours of birdies this year and the wild dogs on our very first day were indeed a gift. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:49 pm 

Heksie wrote:
WOW you had great sightings so far and this is officially only Day1 :big_eyes:
All the birdies I'm enjoying a lot!!!! Especially the colourful white fronted bee eaters and your bulbul :clap:
The rhinos are bootiful! :dance:
And then to see doggies on day 1 :big_eyes: what a great surprise!!!!! Amazing kiekies and a great experiemce I believe!
Enjoying the TR immensely :popcorn: :popcorn:

Long time no hear but glad that you are back - The next morning we saw some majestic golden kitties so please keep your :popcorn: ready

Kaapsedraai wrote:
Great birdy shots, Pumbaa. :thumbs_up:

First time I am seeing a 'ground scraper thrush/ - thank you for sharing. :cam:

The zebra filles are so cute :cam: and you were fortunate to have some wild dog sightings. :dance:

Looking forward to more :popcorn:

I must correct me because the ground scraper thrush was actually a female violet-backed starling :redface:

Aat wrote:
Pumbaa,
Lovely show of the animals and birds ...great pics !!
Seeing the Painted Dogs first day gives a boost.... one of the specials to see :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Indeed they are so special and we are always getting excited when they do come across :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:59 pm 

At first sight only two doggies were visible but the longer we stayed with them the more movements from under a bush, behind dense grass we realized more of them and all in all we guessed it was a pack of around ten.

A bit strange was that only one car was parking at that sighting and not more and so we already thought that the dogs have already left that place and moved on but gladly we were wrong and they simply rested.

After a short private session with them also more and more cars wanted to visit Renosterpan and simply could not pass the dogs without stopping – who would! – and soon a traffic jam built up but as the dogs were spread over a great distance and so from nearly each point all cars were standing in a pool position as at least one dog was more than willing to pose and more than good visible.

Needless to say that our cameras started to glow already at least the button and we took tons of pictures of them from all angles – A pity was and that is a fact that will pursue us through our whole holiday that the grass was extreme high and consequently the photography was not easy and sometimes the grass in front was sharp and the dog or animal in the background blurred but I think you all experienced this already.

On one roadside there was still flowing a slight “river” but the dogs obviously loved that as they lied down right into the water and consequently when standing up again they were extreme dirty and muddy but I think it is simply the same protection against parasites as all the “grey” animals use.

The temperatures were still bearable at that early hour and we also were glad that this pack was not on the move as they are normally are so we in fact simply had to park the car and wait until one of the dogs may come closer and fill out the frames completely.

One of the females must have smelled lovely as one of the males pursued her permanently and does not let her out of sight

and even when she did not take any notice from him immediately he started to squeaking to got her attention again. It was indeed a fantastic sighting.

Meanwhile more and more cars arrived and even the safari vehicles got notice of this stunning sighting as there was a permanent come and go

but as already described earlier the dogs positioned themselves so handy that each and every car had its own dog and we so both had as well, as I was taking pictures of a dog on my side of the car and Timon fired away on his side.

I love the way the dog is peeping from behind the grass onto the other side of the road to check where its buddies were.

After a long time at that sighting we decided to quickly drive to the Renosterpan waterhole itself and then stay a bit longer with our doggies. As experienced already during previous visits here the view onto the waterhole was overgrown with high grass and nearly invisible and even the elephants about who we have been told earlier were no longer to be seen.

So it was time again to start the second extensive photographic session with the painted ones.

Meanwhile also the safari vehicles from lodges from outside Kruger got notice of this wild dog sighting and so lots of safari vehicles came, stayed a while and drove off.

At that stage we must have been the car which stayed the longest with the doggies but we definitely would never get tired in watching such close dog dance.

to be continued with more painted ones........

Sorry about the number of wild dog pictures but it was a hard time for me to chose them - I promise there will also be more birdies coming up.......

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

you can never have too many doggie pics Pumbaa,

what a great experience

john :thumbs_up:

Back again -Kruger - April 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:41 pm 

A dogs sighting is worth a thousand pics.
Don't feel bad about over-indulging us.
I certainly love it. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am so enjoying your trip report and your fantastic photography.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What a wonderful experience with the painted ones :D I find these creatures the most thrilling to watch. Such agility and I love to watch the pack dynamics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 67  Next