Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:12 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

How special that you managed to get the Lion cottage again. 8)

Poor Baboon :( ..The park is really lovely and green and has pretty red flowers. :dance:

Hyena cubs are ever so cute :dance: ..but they can really be so inquisitive..but good for :cam:

Great pics of the Ellie roadblock :clap: :clap: ..all sizes present.

more please :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:31 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I feel so sorry for that injured Baboon! Shame, that is such a deep wound, and must have been very painful! :cry:

What an awesome Hyena sighting with those young ones with their cute faces Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

I must agree with Waterbuck, that is a stunning picture of the two Buffs in the riverbed! :dance: :dance:

Of course I love your Fish Eagle sighting too! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:18 pm 

anne-marie wrote:
cute little Hyenas, nice Fish Eagle, poor Baboon... and road block
wonderful episode once more :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That was just the beginning of that day :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:19 pm 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I am pleased that you were happy with the food at Selati. It sounds delish.... 8)

Lovely :cam: again Pumbaa. Those little ellies are just the best, and the hyena actually looks lovely.

:popcorn:

Besides the food the restaurant was nearly bursting so many people were eating there :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:22 pm 

Waterbuck wrote:
Love that :cam: of the two buffs in the riverbed :clap:

That is so peaceful indeed and never saw this year that much buffaloes in groups or alone occupying such puddles in the smaller rivers :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:23 pm 

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,

How special that you managed to get the Lion cottage again. 8)

Poor Baboon :( ..The park is really lovely and green and has pretty red flowers. :dance:

Hyena cubs are ever so cute :dance: ..but they can really be so inquisitive..but good for :cam:

Great pics of the Ellie roadblock :clap: :clap: ..all sizes present.

more please :popcorn:

All sizes present indeed and gladly far enough away :tongue: Only realized the red flowers later after we were downloading the pictures of the injured baboon :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 pm 

hilda wrote:
I feel so sorry for that injured Baboon! Shame, that is such a deep wound, and must have been very painful! :cry:

What an awesome Hyena sighting with those young ones with their cute faces Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

I must agree with Waterbuck, that is a stunning picture of the two Buffs in the riverbed! :dance: :dance:

Of course I love your Fish Eagle sighting too! :clap: :clap:

Poor baboon indeed - I was feeling with him at least it only looked like a flesh wound but a very deep one :? I never can take my eyes off such hyaena pups :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:38 pm 

Suddenly from everywhere there was also great volume of traffic and although a lot of cars drove around the rhinos we stayed where we were as the rhinos were blocking the road from both side

and to end finally between two of them as car sandwich was not the way we wanted to begin the day and moreover two bulls started a quarrel or at least did not like the presence of the other one that close.

Finally they calmed down and each one returned to his side of the road and then struggled with a lot of highjackers invading the grey “bus”.

Each time a car dared to slip through the gap and the rhinos gave them enough space they afterwards immediately took the same spot – as same must have been still a bit warm – and started to continue their nap.

Especially the little ones between them were still extreme sleepy.

Somehow the road has been cleared and we continued our way, stopped for a brown snake eagle – the light was still too bad due to the many clouds, and for another sleeping beauty in a tree.

As bird especially owl lovers we could not drove on without stopping and at least taking a couple of pictures of this pink eyelid cutie. Pity was that this one was alone as I would have loved to hear the hippolike sound they make when communicating with each other again.

After taking picture after picture I forced Timon to continue our way as otherwise we still would stand there and admiring the owl. Somewhere in a dry riverbed there was a family of rhino peacefully sleeping but same got aware of a closer coming elephant bull and so stood up.

Whilst watching the pictures later I realized the kink in the left ear of the female and with that remarkable sign I remember having seen them already a couple of days earlier when we were on our way to Crocodile Bridge on a totally different road.

The sun meanwhile came up and illuminated everything in a fantastic way and you could even saw the sand which splashed up and around them due to their fast jumps up and believe me although they do might look snugly they can move and run very fast.

Also the oxpecker burst excitedly up not knowing for what reason. Finally Dad in front, followed by Mom and finally the little one disappeared deeper into the riverbed out of sight.

Due to the back light this picture of them all together plus the elephant bull is not the best one but I simply wanted to show the interaction we just watched between these different species.

After a dry spell with nothing to be seen on our way further down South we reached again the weir but as already known earlier the road was still closed but from high where we stood and after Timon maneuvered the car in a best possible position to overlook the biyamiti weir a bit we noticed a beautiful goliath heron on top of a rock which could not be left without a couple of clicks

which finally ended in an excessive number of clicks as moreover no disturbing grass was in the way. Whilst Timon was busy in capturing the heron I once again scanned the area and located a fish eagle in a tree – maybe once again not the best sighting of a fish eagle because same was a bit hidden from the leaves.

We also noticed a pair of giant kingfishers trying to fish some breakfast but due to the road closure we could not come closer and only saw a couple of colourful dots flying around.

In the end we turned around and strolled back via the Biyamiti loop and the S114 and besides the usual suspects in form of zebras, wildebeest, waterbucks and impalas

it was a quiet drive until we got stuck in a traffic jam although nothing to be seen......Finally we got a glimpse of a paw and a belly.

Only one meter away from the road although invisible in the high grass framed by a couple of smaller and thin trees and on top in a small scrape we realized a clew of bodies, legs and paws which finally solved into three adult lionesses.

If we do not know where to look for we would have never seen them. So we had no other choice than in exercise in patience and wait for some action.

From time to time we even saw a head and finally one lioness stood up, stretched everything a bit and finally changed position and we got at least a glimpse of her behind the high grass.

to be continued with the revenge.....

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:30 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wow Pumbaa and Timon! What a lovely Rhino sighting with lots of awesome pictures of them! :clap: :clap:

Great Verreaux's Eagle Owl sighting too! I simply love their pink eyeshadow! Beautiful pictures of the Goliath Heron too! :dance: :dance:

How lucky were you with that Lion sighting, despite the high grass! :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing another beautiful episode! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
a lot of Rhinos :dance: doing sand's castles :lol:
magnificent Verreaux's Eagle Owl :dance: :clap:
and also magnificent Goliath Heron at the weir :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
I am catching up on your excellent TR, Pumbaa. :thumbs_up:

You and Timon got some great sightings!
Poor baboon with wound and the smiling hyena.

Magnificent rhino sightings. The one rhino, I guess the one with flap ear got a nice long straight horn...wow.
The eagle owl is also a great one as well as the lions.

Great TR..and :cam: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa stunning sightings of the rhinos, love the owl with the pink eyeshadow.
At least you saw more lion at the roadblock, could have just been the paw and belly one :D

Thanks for sharing :gflower:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

That was quite a roadblock you encountered :shock: 8)
Luckily your car didn't get in the middle of any disagreements between the males!

Amazing how 3 lions can be virtually invisible even when so close to the road.
At least one sat up to show herself and reward your patience :thumbs_up:

But now revenge?? I am intrigued :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Back home now, and TR progressing.....slowly.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

Awesome pics of the Rhino ..even with the movement of vehicles they all seemed so chilled. :clap: :clap:
Stunning pic of the one in the riverbed with the sand while getting up. :mrgreen:

Owl :cam: is beautiful. :thumbs_up:

Even with the long grass the Lion made an appearance and you could get some pics..great. 8)

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 am 

hilda wrote:
Wow Pumbaa and Timon! What a lovely Rhino sighting with lots of awesome pictures of them! :clap: :clap:

Great Verreaux's Eagle Owl sighting too! I simply love their pink eyeshadow! Beautiful pictures of the Goliath Heron too! :dance: :dance:

How lucky were you with that Lion sighting, despite the high grass! :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing another beautiful episode! :thumbs_up:

Simply love the pink eyeshadow as well and the rhino road block :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 67  Next