Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
magnificent Heron :clap:
and Ellie too... with a hat :lol:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love the ellie with the hat also but buffaloes do also have some strange headdress as well :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 pm 

gatita wrote:
I like the hairdo of the heron, Pumbaa.

The first picture of the ellies is great. They seem to be so relaxed.

They were indeed relaxed - so we could stay and watch them without being concerned :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:17 pm 

Carol g wrote:
Pumbaa, as gatita said great hairdo on the Heron :D , love the little Ellie, and just all of your pics.
Thanks for sharing :gflower:

We saw some more of these strange hairdos and sometimes it was caused by the wind but sometimes the heron was simply shaking feathers :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:19 pm 

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

I have actually never seen a photo of a green-backed heron with it's neck stretched out 8)
I thought they just had short little necks. I love learning new things about Kruger and it's animals :gflower:

Gorgeous photos of the giant kingfisher :cam:

And to finish the day off with a lovely relaxed herd of ellies :clap: :clap: :clap:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

We also not - It was so funny how large same got only to shrink again immediately :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm 

hilda wrote:
So many gorgeous bird sightings and pictures Pumbaa and Timon! You are right! The Green-backed Heron almost looks like a Grey Heron with that long neck! Never knew they could stretch their necks that long! :lol: :lol:

I love the Ellie with the headdress! Cute! :clap: :clap:

I originally wanted to short that episode but simply could not do that as it was hard to chose my favourites :redface:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm 

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,

Terrific ..Image.. of the Green backed Heron. :clap: :clap:

Stunning pics of the Ellies...Cute one wearing a cool hat :dance: ...and adorable baba Ellie. :thumbs_up:

As already said same was simply so comical I could not shorten that episode :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:24 pm 

barryels wrote:
Fantastic Heron and kingfisher pic's Pumbaa and Timon :clap: :clap: .

Love the little ellie :dance: :dance: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

The giants are not that often to be seen as the pieds so as you can imagine Timon simply had to stop :P

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 pm 

Heksie wrote:
HI Pumbaa
What a treat it was to catch up on 12 pages of your TR! :popcorn:
It was a mouthful of sightings with all the colourful birdies all over the southern part of the Park, love the pearly, bateleur, fork tailed drongo, black coucal, burchell, your black shouldered kite and all the fishy birds :clap:
Also the jackal and rhinos are beauts :mrgreen:
Looks like so far you guys had an amazing time over there!
Cant wait to see more :popcorn:

Thanks for catching up - Birding was magnificent this year although I was a bit afraid that due to the floods most of them are not to be seen but gladly it appeared to be the contrary and you can be rest assured that also in the other parts of the park the feathered friends appeared numerously :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:31 pm 

Thursday, 14. February, 2013 – Biyamiti – Skukuza

With melancholy we packed together and had to leave this comfy and quiet place and whilst we just left the gate we immediately felt homesickness! As the weir was still closed and the S139 in the direction very dense we decided to for a very last time this year drive the S25.

But before going into the details of the sightings we had this day we wanted to share our rhino pictures with you which came across somewhere on our way to Skukuza. Both sightings were extreme close to the road and you even had not to use a long lens. First we met a group of three out of which two of them were more than relaxed

whereas one was a bit anxious and did not fell that good by our presence

but with turning the engine off same became more and more released and even joint the other two again by lying down again and continue the just disturbed sleep.

Compared to other animals these grey masses are indeed late risers. As already said they were so close that even the lens Timon had on was far too large for a portrait.

The next couple which came across was a mom with her little one and obviously our car was the first one the little one ever saw as same was so curious and inspected us extensively.

Now back to the chronological adventures of the day. Whilst for a very last time driving through my fairytale forest – in the early morning the light is as good as in the later afternoon – we met again good old friends at nearly the same spot and nearly at the same time as yesterday our naughty baby boy suddenly stood with mom and an aunt in the road.

At first sight he was still a bit shy and stayed close to Mom but with every further seconds he got even naughtier and more self-assured compared to yesterday if ever possible.

The first victim was mom as he stole right out of her mouth a large branch full of green but he did not started to munch as the other two did but started the Dumbo show with catapulting his small trunk around like an airscrew which was for sure so funny and cute to watch that we both could not hold our cameras because we laughed so loud.

Needless to say that only a beggarly rest of the branch he just had stolen survived his stormily rotation as most of same was now lying down spread all over the road.

He simply was in his own world in which he might have dreamed of being “Super Ellie”.

After he finally lost the interest in the remains of his branch he discovered a sandgrouse right in front of him and started to chase it away.

You cannot believe how funny that looked because although still a teenage ellie but far larger than the small sandgrouse which hit finally in the high grass.

“Did it!” “Oh, it’s you again!”

He was so cute with his behaviour that nobody could be angry but as already said whenever grown up I would not feel that well should he might cross our path.

What cheeky little bugger!

He even got a bit stronger with Mom as back up but finally Mom had enough of his performance – his aunt only crossed the street and disappeared munching in the bush right at the beginning of that sighting – She might already know him very well – and vanished in the thick bush and needless to say that with Mom out of sight he took his heels and followed her immediately.

What a show and believe me it was once again extreme hard to chose my favourites and sorry about the amount of pictures of our “little” friend. At least I am looking already forward what he might puzzled up until next year.

Unfortunately the rest of our drive until Gesanftombi was quiet not even a bird could be seen – At the dam a huge buffalo bull – might have been the same as the previous days – was about to make himself comfortable in a shady muddy place.

Today we decided to give the S130 another try but same is so overgrown at this time of the year that we saw again nothing. For the very last time we drove the S137 and besides some zebras in the distance nearly nothing but I could not pass without taking a picture of the high grass.

One of the noisy glossy starlings landed close by and allowed Timon a couple of shots.

We turned into the upper part of the S28 and besides this brown cheeky looking snake eagle also on that road it was quiet.

After a final visit at Lower Sabie and Sunset dam we drove North and on one of the bridges which you have to cross on the S79 we met another hamerkop couple on the lookout for some fish.

Although whilst driving closer they did not feel disturbed in any way and we were happy to get some close ups of them.

to be continued with our visit at Lake Panic.....

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

Oh, I know that terrible feeling of homesickness when getting close to leaving Kruger... :?

But what a wonderful encounter you had with your little ellie friend again :clap: :clap: :clap:
Your pictures of the scene allowed me to imagine how funny it would have been to see his performance with the twig and the sandgrouse, so I was able to have a good laugh too :lol: :gflower:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:51 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

Rhino pics are wonderful...gentle giants look so relaxed. :clap: :clap: .. :pray: ..these never get into the hands of poachers. :(

My oh my that little Ellie is just such a jolly fellow...your sequence of :cam: tells the story wonderfully. :clap: :clap: ... those type of sightings are so special. :dance: ...Sure he will grow up being one that one will be weary of to encounter when older...full of mischief. :hmz:

Know that feeling all too well when the departure time is slowly creeping up. :cry:

Thanks for sharing this exciting episode....Baby Ellie gets my vote this time. :thumbs_up:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:05 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Stunning Rhino sightings Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

Thank you for this BEAUTIFUL Ellie story! The cutest little Ellie I've read about in a long time! What a wonderful experience it must have been to watch the little guy! :dance: :dance:

Awesome Hamerkop pictures too! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:10 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Stunning rhino shots Pumbaa :thumbs_up: Just love that little ellie :k

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
superb Rhinos sighting :clap:
and of course tiny :naughty: little Ellie :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:06 pm 

Had a wonderful catch up Pumbaa and really have enjoyed all your sightings and beautiful pics. :clap:
Made me remember back to our Feb trip and how hard one had to work for sightings!
but you and Timon seem to have always found something to keep you well occupied and amused.
Love the little cheeky ellie! :D

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 67  Next