Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 pm 

Despite a quietish day you still saw a good number of birds and animals. :thumbs_up:
The plovers at Sunset dam are the White-crowned ones, not Wattled, super pics of them in any case.
Love the pics of the Ground Hornbills, they seem to like that area as we often see them there as well.
Be interesting to know who the collared ellie is!

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just caught up, Pumbaa. As always, a wonderful TR with superb images. Your bird pics are always a delight. :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa, I wonder if your mystery creature could have been a Caracal. :hmz: It's very frustrating to be so near, yet so far.

Again, beautiful :cam: a true pleasure.

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I wouldn't want to swim with these monasteries crocs!!! Wonderful narration and pics

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:11 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

This episode is filled with great :cam: and wonderful surprises. :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous pics of the Ground Hornbills. :thumbs_up:

Lone Ellie seems to be missing a tail in the pic. :hmz: ..Two in the road stunning. :dance:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:13 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Lots of animals and birds Pumbaa and Timon! The Carmine Bee-eaters are beautiful! :dance: :dance:

Lots of Ellies, beautiful Kudus, awesome Ground Hornbills, and those huge Crocodiles! :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Pumbaa! Stunning Photos!

Birds, birds and more birds, all great sightings and beautiful photographs!

Also love the Kudu!

Rhino poached 2013 - 951, 2012 - 668, 2011 - 448, 2010 - 333, 2009 - 122, 2008 - 83.
Total 2600!

Our natural heritage is being stolen from us one by one!

Make your voice heard and please support a Rhino Project!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Pumbaa!

Had a lot of catching up to do. As winter is settling on us in SA, I start getting busier at work, so not a lot of time for the forums... :wall:

Was lovely to catch up here again. Good to see you also found "Scar and Mufasa" of the Malelane Mafia! :tongue: My favourite sightings are your Pearl-spotted Owlet and the European Nightjar - never seen a nightjar during the day - well-spotted my friend! :thumbs_up:

Hope to check-in here again soon... :whistle:

20-22 June - Tamboti
23-25 June - Shimuwini
26-29 June - Shingwedzi

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

Your "quiet" drive was actually rather full of sightings :thumbs_up:

It would have been amazing to see all those crocodiles congregating near the bridge 8)
Even from the photos they look HUGE!! :shock:

Also I love the mum and little ellie roadblock - very cute :clap: :clap: :clap:

And maybe you will see a cat on the the next drive :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Another great day with lots of pic's of our feathered friends :clap: :clap: .

Also great to see that you and Timon encountered great sightings of kudu; ellies; giraffe and croc's :dance: :dance: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa,
I had a lot of "homework" to work through, but I have read everything now!!!

Thanks for sharing this beautifull photos and sightings with us :gflower:

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:51 am 

anne-marie wrote:
nice portrait of the Ground Hornbil and the Croc... with eyelash :clap:
I love the two Ellies in the road :clap:

I think they are called nowadays "fake lashes" :tongue: Obviously also available for crocs in the shops :hmz:

gatita wrote:
what a special sighting of the southern carmine bee-eater witha blue throat, Pumbaa.

At least you saw some yellow-billed storks at Sunset dam. Thery were all gone in march.

What a pity that you missed the cat.

Yes it was pity but believe me although the South may be a bit quiet for them - They joined us later during that trip :dance:

Kaapsedraai wrote:
Great TR so far, Pumbaa.

The water at Sunset dam is extremely green that I am also concerned. :hmz:

It is a pity you did not get the cheetah and I know the feeling all too well when we were at Mountain Zebra NP that we saw the brown hyena, but it took off before I could take pic. :( .

I really love your :cam: and thank you for sharing. :thumbs_up:

These missed animals are always a bit annoying but I think that is also the thrill whilst staying in Kruger :thumbs_up:

Elsa wrote:
Despite a quietish day you still saw a good number of birds and animals. :thumbs_up:
The plovers at Sunset dam are the White-crowned ones, not Wattled, super pics of them in any case.
Love the pics of the Ground Hornbills, they seem to like that area as we often see them there as well.
Be interesting to know who the collared ellie is!

His tusks were not that large up to now but I am sure we already saw him in that area during the last years as well :hmz: Maybe Aat can help here :P

granjan wrote:
Just caught up, Pumbaa. As always, a wonderful TR with superb images. Your bird pics are always a delight. :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap:

Hi granjan and thanks for joining - Birds are getting more and more our passion 8)

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Pumbaa, I wonder if your mystery creature could have been a Caracal. :hmz: It's very frustrating to be so near, yet so far.

Again, beautiful :cam: a true pleasure.

:popcorn:

No unfortunately not - The ears were round with black tips and it had some spots - Due to the shape I was pretty much sure about a cheetah cub :wall: I at first look thought about a serval but due to the round ears also no chance here :wall:

Cape of Storms wrote:
I wouldn't want to swim with these monasteries crocs!!! Wonderful narration and pics

Unbelievable but I guess the crocs increased in numbers and sizes over the January floods, as we never saw that many and large ones of them as this year :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:00 pm 

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,

This episode is filled with great :cam: and wonderful surprises. :clap: :clap:

Gorgeous pics of the Ground Hornbills. :thumbs_up:

Lone Ellie seems to be missing a tail in the pic. :hmz: ..Two in the road stunning. :dance:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Love also the two bums in the road :thumbs_up:

hilda wrote:
Lots of animals and birds Pumbaa and Timon! The Carmine Bee-eaters are beautiful! :dance: :dance:

Lots of Ellies, beautiful Kudus, awesome Ground Hornbills, and those huge Crocodiles! :clap: :clap:

Thanks for sharing! :dance: :dance:

The Carmines were beautiful and plentiful this year and we got to see them nearly daily - Always a feast for our eyes to spot and photograph them :dance:

Super Mongoose wrote:
Hey Pumbaa! Stunning Photos!

Birds, birds and more birds, all great sightings and beautiful photographs!

Also love the Kudu!

And believe me there are still more birds to come :thumbs_up:

Bushbuddies wrote:
Hi Pumbaa!

Had a lot of catching up to do. As winter is settling on us in SA, I start getting busier at work, so not a lot of time for the forums... :wall:

Was lovely to catch up here again. Good to see you also found "Scar and Mufasa" of the Malelane Mafia! :tongue: My favourite sightings are your Pearl-spotted Owlet and the European Nightjar - never seen a nightjar during the day - well-spotted my friend! :thumbs_up:

Hope to check-in here again soon... :whistle:

Scar and Mufasa simply fits to them best :dance: :dance: but the rest of the Mafia was not to be seen :hmz: This time Timon spotted the nightjar but the next one coming up later I spotted :thumbs_up: At least you need to know what to look for but they look indeed like a piece of bark :tongue:

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

Your "quiet" drive was actually rather full of sightings :thumbs_up:

It would have been amazing to see all those crocodiles congregating near the bridge 8)
Even from the photos they look HUGE!! :shock:

Also I love the mum and little ellie roadblock - very cute :clap: :clap: :clap:

And maybe you will see a cat on the the next drive :popcorn: :popcorn:

They were indeed huge and imagine you would take a swim in those rivers - Never :big_eyes: It took still a while until we saw our next cats but they will come :popcorn:

barryels wrote:
Another great day with lots of pic's of our feathered friends :clap: :clap: .

Also great to see that you and Timon encountered great sightings of kudu; ellies; giraffe and croc's :dance: :dance: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

We more and more turn into feathered friends maniacs - I am a bit concerned how this will end :big_eyes: :whistle:

Vlakvarkvrou wrote:
Hi Pumbaa,
I had a lot of "homework" to work through, but I have read everything now!!!

Thanks for sharing this beautifull photos and sightings with us :gflower:

Great for having been busy and done your homework and great to have you on board now as well :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:23 pm 

I always find one male kudu already extreme majestic but four of them are indeed very impressive. All of them were a bit shy and very alert.

Compared to early morning were we could only watch a couple of meters into the bush now we admire the beauty of that area and its residents in form of large zebra, impala and wildebeest herds and in between we also could spot an isolated white stork

and also a quite impressive day dreaming rhino.

We decided to stay in camp for the rest of the afternoon and simply enjoyed life on our verandah and had an early braai and sighed that our stay in our favourite camp was already over but we were also looking very much forward to Biyamiti as last year we had to cancel our stay there due to the flood and the non existing low water bridge crossing the Biyamiti on the S25. This year everything has been fixed in time for our stay there at least it looked so......

Wednesday, 12th February 2013 – Crocodile Bridge - Biyamiti

Today was again moving day and moreover it was a rainy day – Yesterday we had the thick mist and today rain showers on one of our favourite roads – Indeed not a very promising start into the day. Needless to say that it was still extreme dark when we left the gate and everything was wet, the grass, the roads and of course all the animals, especially the raptors such as this yellow billed kite looked as if they would prefer to be somewhere else that morning

whereas this cute arrow-marked babbler puffed up its feathers to keep a bit warmer.

We again decided to ride via the S28 as the alternative tar road is far too thick to spot anything but besides some wildebeests and impalas grazing together not much else came across. A movement caught my eye and I told Timon to stop for this black coucal

as this is a bird which is not coming across that often.

Meanwhile it got a bit brighter and even the sun dared to show itself between the dark rain showers and so the black-backed jackal which we met on the way to Nhlanganzwani dam presented itself in beautiful light.

Same watched us suspiciously and nearly was running the whole way until the dam in front of our car but same wanted in no case running into the high and totally wet grass on the roadside.

Finally it had no other choice and so we had no longer a bad conscience in chasing the jackal. Another miserable looking raptor came into sight and same looked to ask if we might have a hairdryer to speed up the procedure of the feather drying a bit

same might also become handy for this second yellow billed kite we already saw.

The whole morning it was more than disappointingly quiet and also the small road leading to Duke’s waterhole changed nothing besides a lot of vultures hanging around in the dead leadwood trees

and also a Sanpark vehicle parked right at the waterhole itself – One day later we realized that on the sign board on which is marked what has been seen on the morning walk it showed lions and buffalo kill so we only counted one and one together – Pity that the grass was so high in that area as otherwise we might have seen them as the vultures were indeed not that far away from the road. Well maybe it was not our day today at Duke’s but one day I know the day will come.......maybe this paradise whydah wanted to compensate the quietness a bit for us but unfortunately the light was still extreme bad.

Then it came down heavily and the slight rain turned immediately into torrential rainfall and even the close by zebras looked more than miserable

with already muddy feet, bellies and hanging ears from which the rain also came down.

We decided to stay with them until the rain might get a bit lighter as the road turned in no way into a small river and we would not see anything anyway else. Whilst watching the close-by zebras we also realized in the background a couple of impalas and giraffes but due to the heavy rainfall we indeed could not see far as we also had to close the windows not to soak anything else inside the car.

From time to time Timon dared to take a picture of the not very happy looking zebras but same were so funny to watch because they looked so wretched with their hanging ears and on the other hand we already got a bit concerned about our stay at Biyamiti this evening as at this stage nobody knew how long and strong the rain might last and which roads might be closed after such a strong rain shower and also with all the prevailing wetness in the park.

Gladly the luck was with us that day as after half an hour the rain stopped abruptly as same started and even the sun came out and started to dry up everything and this was even the last rain we experienced during our whole stay in the park.

to be continued........

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:55 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Aesome Kudu bulls Pumbaa & Timon! And lots of very wet birds and Zebras! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful image of the BBJ! Plus a very handsome Rhino! :dance: :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 67  Next