Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joyride with the Bateleurs
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Another great episode with wonderful pics that goes with it.

I love the unique one with the terrapin and dragon fly on it. The ellie with trunk in the air and tail is also a great one. :cam:

The birdies are always a winner and love the landscape pic as well. :thumbs_up:

Hey, some pumbaas around, always entertaining to watch and when they run with antenna tails. :D

Thank you for sharing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What a beautiful scenery picture with the pond full of water lilies Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

So many beautiful sightings through the day! Love the Warthogs, Giraffes, lots of beautiful birds, and the stunning Rhinos. :dance: :dance:

A very special picture of the Tortoise with the Dragon Fly on its back! :D

Clever Ellie to shake the Marulas out of the tree! :lol:

Thanks for sharing another lovely episode with us! :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I'm on board (how have I missed another travel report)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:32 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,
Another day filled with awesome wonders of Kruger. :clap: :clap: Stunning pics of All. :mrgreen:

Must say the birdies are just stunning. :clap: ...Love the Zebbie..and those Pumbaas are just the best. :thumbs_up: ...Resident bunch..definitely know where it is safe. :hmz:

Gorgeous light on the Giraffe and waterbuck. :clap: :clap:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And another big SIGH emanating from here Pumbaa.
Quote:
Timon soon joined them by imitating their eating behaviour with his camera in hand and snapped away.
:lol: :lol: It paid dividends with some splendid shots. Don't think there's a hole in the fence though, these are resident warthogs in the camp. Lovely golden light giraffes :thumbs_up:
Red backed shrike :k
Muddy mini me- :thumbs_up:
Hijacking in the Kruger-now i'm seeing red :lol:
I am still waiting to see an elephant shake a tree so that the fruit falls off-that must have been so special. All I've seen is them uprooting a tree :(
More and more please!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

My favourite pic of that installment is the terrapin with the dragon fly on its back :lol:

And also the ellie trying to shake the marula tree :thumbs_up:

In fact all the photos of the animals you captured in that lovely afternoon light are gorgeous :cam:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:05 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Another awesome day with so many stunning sightings :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Love the pond pic with all the water lillies :dance: .

Those warties in camp are trained quite well :D . One of the workers normally comes around and just by clapping his hands, they are off to the gate :D .

Awesome pic of the tawny flanked prinia hanging on for dear life :clap: :clap: .

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 pm 

RichardJ wrote:
Great pics and visitors :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Richard - Love these visitors at Croc Bridge - We also had them last year :clap:

anne-marie wrote:
I love the Ellie shaking the tree :lol:
magnificent serie of birds :clap:
and Rhino, Zebras... and ... and ... :clap: :clap: :clap:

The birdies were amazing to watch and with each year we return the more important they got for us :thumbs_up:

Kaapsedraai wrote:
Another great episode with wonderful pics that goes with it.

I love the unique one with the terrapin and dragon fly on it. The ellie with trunk in the air and tail is also a great one. :cam:

The birdies are always a winner and love the landscape pic as well. :thumbs_up:

Hey, some pumbaas around, always entertaining to watch and when they run with antenna tails. :D

Thank you for sharing.

Funny was that this terrapin or at least another one were resting on the same spot last year and on that low water bridge they did not come like ninja turtles closer and begged for food. 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:30 pm 

hilda wrote:
What a beautiful scenery picture with the pond full of water lilies Pumbaa and Timon! :clap: :clap:

So many beautiful sightings through the day! Love the Warthogs, Giraffes, lots of beautiful birds, and the stunning Rhinos. :dance: :dance:

A very special picture of the Tortoise with the Dragon Fly on its back! :D

Clever Ellie to shake the Marulas out of the tree! :lol:

Thanks for sharing another lovely episode with us! :popcorn:

The scenery and landscape with its green nearly everywhere was a feast for our eyes after that long snowy winter - The trees over here are getting also greener with every day now :dance:

NetEk wrote:
I'm on board (how have I missed another travel report)

Welcome here NetEk - Glad to have your also on board :gflower:

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
Pumbaa,
Another day filled with awesome wonders of Kruger. :clap: :clap: Stunning pics of All. :mrgreen:

Must say the birdies are just stunning. :clap: ...Love the Zebbie..and those Pumbaas are just the best. :thumbs_up: ...Resident bunch..definitely know where it is safe. :hmz:

Gorgeous light on the Giraffe and waterbuck. :clap: :clap:

They were totally relaxed by our presence in the camp but you were not allowed to come that close but that is for sure the far easier way to photograph them :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:35 pm 

noel wrote:
And another big SIGH emanating from here Pumbaa.
Quote:
Timon soon joined them by imitating their eating behaviour with his camera in hand and snapped away.
:lol: :lol: It paid dividends with some splendid shots. Don't think there's a hole in the fence though, these are resident warthogs in the camp. Lovely golden light giraffes :thumbs_up:
Red backed shrike :k
Muddy mini me- :thumbs_up:
Hijacking in the Kruger-now i'm seeing red :lol:
I am still waiting to see an elephant shake a tree so that the fruit falls off-that must have been so special. All I've seen is them uprooting a tree :(
More and more please!

That ellie indeed knew where to push and shake - We only watched that onces prior to this year and the way they pushed the tree looked so easy - That also demonstrates the power of an ellie head :big_eyes:

melph68 wrote:
Hi Pumbaa :D :D

My favourite pic of that installment is the terrapin with the dragon fly on its back :lol:

And also the ellie trying to shake the marula tree :thumbs_up:

In fact all the photos of the animals you captured in that lovely afternoon light are gorgeous :cam:

:popcorn:

Although the drive was finally long we enjoyed everything we saw - I can travel that way indeed endlessly :clap:

barryels wrote:
Another awesome day with so many stunning sightings :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Love the pond pic with all the water lillies :dance: .

Those warties in camp are trained quite well :D . One of the workers normally comes around and just by clapping his hands, they are off to the gate :D .

Awesome pic of the tawny flanked prinia hanging on for dear life :clap: :clap: .

We saw lots of these tawny flanked prinias this year :dance: I love it when the camp is also visited by animals as long as they do not raid the bins and remain still "wild" and not tames :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 pm 

Tuesday, 11th February, 2013 – Crocodile Bridge

I was already so much looking forward to drive the S28 today as this is still one of our favourite roads in the park and can offer between nothing and magnificent sightings nearly everything and you never know what to expect. Well today a phenomenon called dense mist happened and so it was hard to look more than 50 meter into the bush and everything farer away stayed invisible for us. Nevertheless the animals obviously loved such weather and we were blessed with some amazing sightings, especially this still very tired rhino.

There is indeed nothing wrong with our camera it was simply extreme misty and for sure large and tall animals such giraffes simply could not be overlooked.

They were busy in doing what they do the whole day: feeding – I simply love that! and for sure raised my mood extremely with such an early daily giraffe fix.

Due to the prevailing humidity in the air these many orb web spider webs were that morning extreme good visible and Timon stopped nearly for each and every spider web in order to get the best possible shot of same.

The ever present wildebeest in that area were also present although we only could identify the one close to us as everything farer away was non-existing for us that morning.

Better not to know what we might have missed this blurred morning.

Funny was that the golden orb web spiders were exceptionally easy to spot that morning – This is for you, Anne-Marie, and they could nearly be found everywhere in the park so in total they must have been millions, altogether.

Lots of barn swallows were still cuddled together on a dead tree, zebras and even a Jacobin cuckoo came into sight although its colours and the picture itself came out not that good because of the mist.

Even an elephant appeared although I must say that this was a scary moment for us as we did not know whether there might be more hidden in the mist but the picture which came out is one of those we wanted to have under all circumstances maybe compared with the silhouette of a giraffe and a sunset in the background. Sigh!

It was calm and you could already guess that early that this might become an extreme hot day after the mist had cleared up. The birdies also did not let us down today although this nicely posing red-billed hornbill did not like the mist that much

whereas this lovely tawny flanked prinia was already busy in catching something to eat.

From time to time the further we drove North the fog was already gone completely and the sun came up and then everything was dense again and we even felt the humidity in the air. Maybe this picture of a lone marabou demonstrates best what I wanted to describe.

Although the Nhlanganzwani dam is destroyed now for a couple of years we always pay a visit there it is a nice drive and normally a lot is to be seen and especially our beloved birds did not let us down here and so it was today – Magpie shrikes occur always more than plentiful in the area and are easiest to be photographed here as they are not that shy and allow one enough time to stop the car, position the camera and snap away

they even sit still after Timon snapped away a couple of times.

Gladly for us was that the mist now had gone completely and the sun enlighten everything in a lovely light and so we could watch a bit farer away in the bush and soon discovered that majestic martial eagle in a tree which was a bit far away.

We are always impressed by the size of this stunning raptor and felt honoured that same allowed us some nice shots. Funny is that we each year in nearly the same bush do find arrow-marked babblers and today same was a bit puffed up.

Meanwhile we strolled along the S137 which we declared from this year on the best road in the entire park to spot lots of different species of birds. We always had on that road sightings of most of the “common” birds such as this in the “feed me” mood European roller

but also great raptor sightings for example the gymnogene last year and kori bustards have regularly been seen here by us and we were already curious what might come across today featherwise. Many red-backed shrikes, male and female, were around as well this small birdie

And what to say first we met our very first Kruger black shouldered kite having its breakfast although a bit far away we were thrilled

and then we also enjoyed the noisy grey louries in exactly the same dead leadwood tree where we last year observed the gymnogene with its kill.

Whilst Timon was busy in taking pictures I scanned the nearby bushes for other animals and got hooked and nearly screamed “owl” and was so excited as this owl was already since long long time on my wish list – a pearl-spotted owlet!

to be continued......

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:40 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
Although there was a lot of early mist, you still had an awesome array of sightings to enjoy :clap: .

Stunning birdie sightings, especially the little pearl-spotted owlet :clap: :clap: .

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
What a misty morning Pumbaa and Timon! Lots of beautiful sightings though! I especially love the Ellie and the Rhino in the mist! :clap: :clap:

Beautiful birds too, and so many different kinds! Awesome! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Pumbaa,

Love those misty mornings when all the spider webs are so prominent :clap: ...as you said thousands are to be seen :dance: ... some other webs resemble parachutes to me. :hmz:

Stunning bird :cam: you got once the mist cleared. :clap: :clap: Misty pics all make a great show. :thumbs_up:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
what a nice serie of birds :clap: :clap: :clap:
and all this mist, I like it :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 67  Next