Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 6 of 9
 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: B.B.B.B.B.B
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ok, after that lesson in Philosophy 101 about time, travel, chance and things random, it was time to get onto more exciting stuff like Biyamti Wier. Will my friend the Kingfisher still be there, as beautiful as ever? And the hippo, and the Croc?
The Fish Eagle did not like my sentiments about the animals being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and tried to hide

Not just one Kingfisher, but two

And the Hippo was there too

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I mentioned that the Raptors were not enjoying this weather, and I regularly saw them on the trees as I made my way to Lower Sabie.

This Wahlberg looked quite miserable

And another one of our precious friends-also objected to my statement about the animals being in the wrong place at the wrong time-he was punishing me by not coming out into the open

Last edited by noel on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ambling along- this Hyena was also not enjoying the weather. First "hy loer vir my"( Spying me out)

Then pretends to be fast asleep

And then loer vir my

Mr Magnificient

And Mr Spectacular

Heard this bird long before I saw it. A car joined me as the occupants also heard its beautiful sounds, and between us we eventually managed to track it down. Crumbs it was well camouflaged.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And a sighting that makes you forget the wonder of that Caracal sighting. Makes you mad :sniper:
You can see the matriarch is in two minds about charging this vehicle which was way too close to the herd.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching the breeding herd pass by. At a safe distance of course :lol:

And they too were gone. Except there were still a few more- to my complete and utter dismay! :big_eyes:

That will have to wait.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So I go past where teh breeding herd corssed, turn right (road seen in opneof the pics in the previous post) and uhm-shiver me timbers-two bulls, having a duel.

Right next to the road, and I know I cannot pass-. Crumbs what a range of emotions this day is delivering. Elation at the Caracal, anger and disappointment at the tourists hanging out of their vehicle, and now fear. Time to be rational and reasonable-they are only sparring, and having fun, not interested in a blue monster that will be across their path if they decide to follow the herd :big_eyes: . So relax, breathe in, breathe out, get the camera and enjoy the spectacle. Turned out a very nice experience. One was a bit bigger than the other, but the smaller one was determined to giveit a go. Here are some pics

Eventually I was able to slip past,without them even giving me so much as a glance. So much energy and adrenaline and I don't even get a glance- very rude :tongue: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was so hoping to see some wild dogs closer to Lower Sabie as they had been regularly see for the past two days, but it was not to be. So I contented myself with catching all the regulars of the Kruger Park.
Did you know Kruger has its own mystical Unicorn.

Just love the brown coloration of this Ellie in the Sabie Riverbed.

Mr Evil eye was lurking again at Sunset Dam

He was headed for the bushes, no doubt in the hope of catching some of the weaver chicks in those nests overhanging at the waters edge.

The dam was quiet for a change, with the Yellow billed Stork always present

Check in at LS, unpack and relax for an hour or two, before I go out for the afternoon drive. Whilst there, this grasshopper intrigued me

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Time to bring this day to a close. The plan was just to travel randomly for this afternoon drive, and absorb these golden hours of Kruger, before heading back to camp and a braai.
Another Elle in the riverbed -or is it the same one? :hmz:

A Bushbuck

And I believe this to be a Crested Francolin- please correct me if I'm wrong. If it is, then its another first for me.

The hyena's become more active too at this time

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This buffalo was trying hard to be camouflaged

And yet another husband/wife dispute.

Kings of the road

And Mr Evil Eye was still lurking at the same spot hour and half later.

Well that ends Day 5-And still no lions. This is becoming somewhat of a pattern for the last couple of visits to KNP. I gotta think of a way to reverse that. Book some days, arrive late and work my way backwards. Anyway- Ms Kruger has ways and means of compensating for these shortcomings.

A good braai and dinner, download the photos and its shower and zzzzzzz....

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK, its Sunday afternoon, and I've enjoyed some corn on the cob-another one of those things that somehow gives you some nostalgic feelings about Kruger. Another one of those wonderful things to do in Kruger -Corn on the cob under African skies. Leggar man!
So I'm up and about by 04:30, intending to get to the gate by that time, but it was not to be. Instead I got out about 05:00 and seeing it had been raining and still looked like more was coming, the decision is to stick as much as possible to the tar roads and avoid the gravel roads. That of can be quite limiting, but reasoning that I was here after all to enjoy just being in Kruger and not stress about about I want to see, it turns out to be quite OK to do that. I'm headed out towards Skukuza, and then decide from there-maybe check out the H11 to Phabeni Gate. Chugging along at a slowish pace, and nothing much to be seen and no other cars either :hmz: (maybe other visitors were having a late morning ), its quiet, and i'm locked with my own thoughts for the day-wondering what I will see-until...... the answer came up ahead.
In my last report, I mentioned something about seeing an animal ahead, thinking it was an Impala, only to discover it was a leopard. I was not about the make the same mistake (which is how and why I got to see the Caracal) and up ahead .... Thought they were a pair of Hyena-until I got the focus right in the early morning)
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

After two days of searching and hoping, here they were-except there were only 2 a male and female. Wondered if they were out to start a new pack-that would be wonderful :dance: :dance: l. I have met the pack that has their territory between Skukuza and LS, and last time I saw them, there were a lot more.
A very restless pair these two, which is typical of the species of course, unless they are resting in the shade of some trees. Just had enough time for a few pics before disappeared again.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And then the female, like the male earlier, let me know just what she thought of my intrusion into their honeymoon

And they were gone before I could even reverse to follow them. WOW I was so blessed. But a taint of pain, as a car arrived and wanted to know what I was searching for and when I told them wild dog-they were so disappointed and also began searching. They eventually told me they caught a glimpse, which I guess is pretty much better that not seeing them. Heksie I think will agree with that sentiment :tongue: .

And then one of those sightings I had been hoping to get sometime in all my visits to Kruger. Hippo on the road. Always have a chuckle when you are close to Nelspruit and there are a few road signs that warn about Hippo's on the road. I could finally prove that sometimes they are on the road.

Post subject: Re: B.B.B.B.B.Bink)
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moving along on this cloudy overcast day. The Raptors were once again in abundance.

I saw my first headless Fish Eagle

And got a skrik (fright) when it turned its head.

And a Brown snake Eagle

A tawny (I think)

A Wahlberg

This Hyena completely ignored me

Trundling of to who knows where

And so good to see this-repairs to the bridge on the H12 over teh Sabie River :dance: :dance: Except when I got back to JHB,I read again about the floods :( Wondered if they carried on with the repairs. The baboons would be happy :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And yet another Wahlberg Eagle.

Decided I would explore the road to Tshokwane rather than the H11. Little to be seen- so I said hello to a Shongololo

A magnificient Kudu Bull in a riverbed.

The swallows were non too happy with the poor weather.

An beautiful White Helmet Shrike

And my friend, the stunning European Roller

Good night.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Still om my way to Tshokwane.

And arrive there, a quick check that there are no Ellies around (like once before where one made himself comfortable in the parking lot, and started munching on the trees) and obey the call of nature. And a gentleman starts chatting about sightings and we exchange our sightings-nice Kruger camaraderie-and he tells me he saw a lioness about 6 km north of there. Decisions decisions. Should I chance it? Ok, I'll go. so off I trundle, north towards Satara. 5 km later, 6 km later, 7 km later, 8 km later. I conclude the lioness has disappeared. Logical deductive reasoning :tongue: . Oh dear, still no Lions. Just then a very cheerful chap comes past, happy as a lark, and he tells me in a foreign accent, lions at Baobab tree. He was obviously happy at having seen some lions, and wanted to share it with all and sundry. I discovered he told about a gazzillion people that he passed on the way to Tshokwane. Why thank you sir, I appreciated that bit of information very much and now more decisions. Its still early enough for me to do the trek to the Baobab tree. Check the map for distances, and its about 20+ km. and if I do a steady 40-50 kmh I should get there in plenty good time. No stopping allowed. I pass buffalo, giraffe, zebra, raptors (its still raining) and head straight for the Baobab tree, and sure enough there are lions. Now some more logical deductive reasoning comes into play.
Did I just travel 30km to see this- a couple of females and teenagers?

You know you are a Kruger Junkie when you ....... Well never mind, I was happy to see some golden kitties at last, and forgave them for their posture :whistle: .

One lioness woke up

but that was all.

One got up and started munching on some grass-huh? Not just lazy lions, but also crazy lions :hmz:

All shot through the window as it was still raining, and none of the other 6 cars there were going to budge to let me have a better view or turn in such a way that I could take photos through the passenger window. Ah well! I saw lions.

Very soon the number of cars increased to 12, with more arriving, and a queue forming, so I opted to leave. I was glad I had made the trip to see these lions. Now to head back to LS.

Good night.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some sightings as I head back to Lower Sabie
yet another Brown Snake Eagle

Some Waterbuck

Some White faced Duck

And the Buffalo I had seen earlier-now a bit further into the bush

And then a sighting I will always cherish as I did not know this info, but read about it when I got home. Roberts describes it as "not usually seen". Maribou Stork displaying its hindneck inflatable air sac. :dance: :dance: As can be seen, it was foraging amongst some impala.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have no idea why I opted to return to Lower Sabie via Skukuza, but I did. A long drive, but worth it too.
After the sighting of the Marabou Stork, this bird seemed even more beautiful than ever :whistle:

That Kingfisher again

And another bird that is most beautiful, when it allows you a view. Plumcoloured Starling

At the low level birdge a Heron and a Hippo were keeping each other company, well hidden.

With another Kingfisher checking out the local menu

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next