Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 9
 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: B.B.B.B.B.B
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Like I said once before, Lake Panic always has something to see, and on this particular visit, I had the pleasure of seeing two birds that I have been wanting to see for a long time, one more so than the other. Undoubtedly for me the highlight of my trip.
1st, Broad billed rollers. Filled me with envy when I read other TR's and see them. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw them at Lake Panic, and silently exclaimed "you thrill me!" :dance: :dance: . Can't do it loud-what will the people think :tongue: And I had thought I might have to plan another trip to the northern section of KNP to get a sighting. Well here they were at Lake Panic. Newman and Roberts indicate occuring in the north and north east. This time I'm disputing them both :tongue:

They look so mundane but are actually very colorful when they go off flying.
Roberts makes no mention of them eating acquatic life, but they were definitely hunting and plunging into the water regularly. Maybe they were catching dragonflies, losing balance and plunging into the water :whistle:

Some (I think) Quelleas also made an appearance.

It would be unreasonable to expect me not to take a pic of this beautiful creature-just look at those colors.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And the 2nd bird, much more exciting, a double "you thrill me" :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: . I have been longing to see this bird for many years, never seen one, despite numerous visits both to KNP and other birding spots around Jhb/Pretoria.
Blackcrowned Night Heron.

Time for sleepies. A few more from Lake Panic tomoro. Good night.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A few more from Lake Panic
[IMG]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/noelcmn/Kruger%20Park%207-13%20January%202013/Kruger%20National%20Park%20-%2010%20January%202013/IMGP6713.jpg[/IMG

I think another Tawnyflanked Prinia??

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

One more post from Lake Panic-Promise.
As you can see from the previous post, LP was rather calm, and allowed some wonderful reflection photographs, and I wanted to make full use of the opportunity before the Hippo's made the waters turbulent. And the best bird for such reflections is old faithful, Mr Grey Heron. He was very obliging.

And then it suffered an identity crisis-it thought it was a duck

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Phew, time to move on towards Pretoriuskop. My trip reports must always have a handsome hunk

And an equally elegant lady

Not much to see as I drive south and west, and quickly I arrive at Transport Dam, where there is seemingly nothing going on. Dragonflies, if you don't know by now, are quick to draw my attention.

And then I get that distinct feeling of being watched, and when you are alone there, uhm.... not so nice, so have a squizz around - and sure enough, I am being watched from behind the bushes

Huge fellow as you can gather, beautifull tusks. But he remained hidden and watchful from behind the bushes, and never came out. In fact no one else but me noticed him, as most of the other cars that arrived, had a quick squizz and left, concluding that nothing was happening.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I call this Kruger's own Christmas tree, very decorated when there are a lot of bids.

AS I leave Transport Dam, I have one of "those unpleasant" experiences in KNP. Just before the end of the dirt road, a Chameleon. Beautiful sized one too. It is thinking about crossing the road, so a pic is in order.

I then proceed to tell it that it is dangerous to cross the road, this is a popular spot and there are cars coming and going frequently. "stay on that side of the road". Seems my protestations did not get through. So I "raised"my voice a little more and then it happens-the oke threatens me with a hiss and a puff

I stand my ground and fortunately for me, a car arrives, It got the message, and fortunately the other car slowed down and stopped to appreciate the sight of a puffed up Chameleon. It them moved off back to where it came from, but not without giving me another one of those "you'r just lucky pal" kinda looks.

I tell you, it could have turned very nasty! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good night!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Time to get this day behind the back. Phew it has been a long day, thoroughly delightful.
Saw this bird out of the corner of the eye, stopped, reversed, forward, reverse, trying to get an good angle on it to capture it. It was in the shade, so not the best. I do believe it to be a Steppe Buzzard.

Enjoying the golden light

Which also provided these

And at last the last photo of the day

Lots of clouds about, harbinger of rain.
Good night

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Onto day 4 of this trip-11 January, and I wake up to rain and overcast conditions. Uhmm... not the best for showing Kruger in all its beauty. But-lets see what happens. Coffee & rusks, shower, pack as I'm off top Lower Sabie again tonight ( :slap: the things we do to be in Kruger), no rush today, seeing that it is raining. First photo taken at 05:39. That's quite late :rtm: . Excited to be here, and anticipating what I will see today is what gets teh adrenalin going. The plan has already been conjured last night- taday I will work my way to Afsaal, and breakfast either there (which I did not, as I do not like crowds much, and it was crowded by the time I got there) or breakfast at a spot that I regularly have breakfast at-Renoster Pan. Then make my way to Lower Sabie via the N4, N1 and the R101 :lol: For thos of yo that don't know, the R101 covers all of SA and includes the KNP. You can't escape the R101 :tongue: .
As I leave, I am made to dream once again-these fungi are the size of a plate, and all I could dream of was a huge Omelette with these mushrooms, some bacon and onions, cheese into the mix, Chakalaka... mmmmm And I would'nt mind the grass growing through them either :big_eyes:

Some sunrays were trying to get through

And if you asked me what animal I would like to see first it would probably be a Kudu-after that a lion, and a leopard and wild dogs. But of course I am just being greedy.

A grey Hornbill would not be far below the list

Zebra too

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our dear friends-more and more of a privilege to see these. This one though, was not interested in a frontal pose, so all got was the behind-still better than nothing

She had a calf, but it remained even more hidden than mom

Rainy overcast days are just great for Raptors, but as I said, not for photography.
Saw so many, here are a few special ones.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Let's get another post or two here before the EUFA soccer match this evening.
A lone Wildebeest amongst some Zebra

By now it was raining on/off.
Two Rhinos grazing peacefully

Or resting (I title this photo- husband and wife after a dispute :whistle:

And just to add another beautiful aspect of KNP

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great to watch some Zebra in the rain and the ever present Oxpeckers

This Tortoise was making good use of the available water on the road.

And a lammetjie in the rain

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I said Oh oh when I saw this

He just wanted to play in the water

But very quickly headed back to the den close by

The reason is probably because he got a sniff of mom on her way back.he would probably have been in trouble

Tried to get some pics at the den itself, but it was well hidden and the long grass did not make it easier. Best I could get is of the cub. Those teeth!

Last edited by noel on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Breakfast at Renoster Pan was lovely, and just so good to sit somewhere, with a prayer that no elephant comes along to rock my world. And then on the road again. this time to make my way to Biyamiti Wier.

Blessed to see these again.

Tawny Eagle- far away in the rain.

Good night!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moving along a a Giant Snails pace.

Head down the S118, to join the S114, that famous road. 5 or 6 cars all on this road, and they all turn right at the T-junction, I turn left. I remember distinctly thinking "do they know something that I don't. Or am I just being silly by being different". Did look at the sighting board at Afsaal, and did not show anything. So I felt a bit worried, thinking like Aragorn (Strider) from Lord of the Rings, when he said to Gandalf "All my decisions have gone amiss today". Maybe that is the reason I have not seen any cats other than the leopard. You think in these terms in Kruger-wrong place at the wrong time leads to ..... right place at the right time :k . There is no wrong place at the wrong time in Kruger- its the animals that are at the wrong place at the wrong time when I am there :rtm: . So ambling along to Biyamiti Wier, doing what I call the Gauteng Perm (from the K53 drivers training-look left, look right, look left and look right again) except I have little hair, so the permutations for that are 0. Anyway I see out of the corner of my eye, up ahead, a brownish animal quickly disappearing into the bushes, and I thought it was a duiker. Get to the spot and just to make sure and to get yet another pic of a duiker (how many do you have Bonkers B). I am so glad I did that, because I got see Ta Da......
This chapter is dedicated to a certain Heksie on this Forum. :lol: :lol:

First I get a glimpse of it trying to hide from me

And she did well- she disappeared very quickly, so I frantically scan the bushes for a better sighting. Next thing you know, there is she is on the road in front of me-how very sly. And very nervous too!

and then the reason for her heightened alertness comes into view-a not so tiny kitten :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

It was of course raining, and I had to take these pics through the window- and BLIKSEM, the focusing mechanism is not working :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The kitten, like all kittens was inquisitive about this blue monstrosity (my car) that was making its mom so anxious, and wanted to have a good squizz at me, little realizing that I wanted to have a good squizz at it.

But it had to follow mom

Mom paused for a brief moment to check if I was really a monster

And off they went

Little kitty was still inquisitive

And hung around a bit longer, even though mom had already disappeared.

One more look at the monster

Check the bearings

And they were gone.

And the moral of the story is- there is no such thing as wrong place at the wrong time in Kruger :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next