Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Porridge's Stink mouse dogs, etc., KNP Nov. 2012
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
... and other romantic honeymoon stories ...

Day -1 and 0

The day had finally arrived to go and visit the magical land, so SO and I duly parted company so she could go and be pampered, and Dave, one of my “fairly-good” men, treated me to a slap-up brekkie at Scrooge’s. In case you were wondering, dear reader, this was not some strange ritual before leaving for the Kruger, but rather our wedding day.

Suffering under the affliction of a severely handicapped bank balance, I proceeded to don my nuptial finery, and we made our way to the venue about 2 hours early so that I could ensure that everything was ready for the ceremony and celebration. Oddly enough, everything was just perfect although Mother Nature was certainly not co-operating. Rain, rain and more rain. Now this is not normally too much of a problem, but we had planned for an outdoor ceremony … oops.

As we had planned for a fairly informal wedding anyway, I instructed the venue that we would do the ceremony in the reception area with the guests seated at their places around the tables which we duly did. A very relaxed and wonderful day ensued, with SO (Jaxidean) and I tying the knot surrounded by wonderful friends and family. A few mites have not-so-subtly demanded to see pics of the wedding, so here are two:

ImageImage

A legendary celebration followed, and Jax and I stayed over in one of the cottages on the premises that night after our suitably lubricated guests had departed. We had a fantastic breakfast the following day, although a helmeted guineafowl nearly found his way into my potjie pot at around 5 am that morning. He had decided to serenade the newly wedded couple from right outside the bedroom window, and he was extremely tone deaf. Who told him he could sing …

We made our way home, and packed for the trip to the real magical land the next morning.

Day 1, pics of scaly, feathery and furry creatures (as well as those that go bump in the night) coming soon ...

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Post subject: Re: Stink mouse dogs, shongololos, vicious attacks ...
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Most of Day 1 - 26/11/2012

For some reason best known to the gods of the dimwitted and idiotic, we had climbed into bed quite late the previous evening, and therefore when the alarm clock did its noisy thing at 3 am I had a very brief thought of turning it off and rolling over. Then it struck me!!! (or rather Jax did … strike me, that is) We’re OFF!!! That’s all that was needed to launch me out of bed, grab everything we needed and load it at breakneck speed into the Krugermobile which is also known as the Officemobile, Shoppingmobile etc, depending on the special nature of the vitally urgent mission for the day. Versatile things, are Jettas.

At 4 am, after tearful farewells from the non-rent paying members of the household, we departed. Ok, no tearful farewells. The son is 16, and the middle daughter is 23. We got a bleary “Ok bye, have fun” before they went straight back to sleep. No respect or gratitude, I ask you!! Brats!! We didn’t care. Pointed the nose of the car NNE, and off we went.

Jax had made that wonderful coffee in our flask that always tastes vastly better when you’re either heading to or in the bush, which we partook of at intervals along the N1 north with many appreciative noises from me.

I’m sure some of you were wondering what on earth a stink mouse dog is? This is a direct translation of stinkmuishond, which is fondly known as a skunk. Now, here in SA according to some of my more certifiable friends and I, they are commonly found wearing brown combat-style trousers and blue shirts hiding in bushes alongside the road. Not only that, but they seem to be so fond of us, they even deploy cameras so that they can hang onto a keepsake to remember us by. Sixty kilometres into our journey on the freeway past Pretoria, there was a bright flash, which we dutifully smiled mechanically for. Paparazzi comes in many forms, people.

Out of Polokwane we headed towards Louis Trichardt, and the word had spread. A stink mouse dog stepped out into the road near LT and flagged me down for my autograph. We could learn something from the nature-lovers that visit this area too, as not once did the stink mouse dog even hint at a little treat. Heart-warming to see, actually. After I had managed to tear myself away from this rather inquisitive creature, we headed out along the R524 towards Punda gate in dreadful weather.

After seeing some really creative corporate architecture between Thohoyandou and the gate (Like a beautifully branded tin shack which boasted of being the Vodacom corner liquor store) we finally made it, and I suddenly found the miles covered and the stress of the last few professional months just melt away. We were home … Tied the YR onto the mirror, and off we went. As a bonus, it had also stopped raining.
First up, we got these before we had travelled even 1 kilometer:

ImageImageImageImage

After the turnoff up to Punda Maria, along with literally millions of cicadas which were quite deafening and we heard them often all the way down to Letaba (and by deafening, you couldn’t hear yourself think!):

And directly outside the gate, this bloke who was keeping a very watchful eye on a Park employee who had walked out of the gate on his way to the staff village:

I can’t ever recall seeing the north as green as it was, or how much standing water was all over the place. This did not help with game-spotting, but this was hardly an issue as my soul had found me and was asking me where I’d been :) There were millipedes EVERYWHERE along the road, but I had to stop for this throwback from the Mesozoic era:

Heading towards my front tire, the shongololo tank brigade

Realizing there was something big, black and round in front of him. Aboooooouuuutttt face!

Strategic retreat

He was easily 20-25 centimeters long, and as big around as my thumb (maybe more). Unbelievable.
On the way to Shing, this beautiful boy:

And this shy boy:

Day 1 continued shortly

Last edited by Porridge on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Day 1 continued
On we went, unsure of what or when, but this magic place rewarded us with sightings that were above average. Saddle-billed storks are highly endangered but we saw many, starting with this one on those roads on the way in:

Female knob-billed duck on the way too. A first time for me

On the Babalala road, I got cute, and did these right next to the car:

ImageImage ImageImage

Satisfying my penchant for the close-ups. I saw this, and just had to

Too beautiful, then 100 metres down, a brown-headed parrot in really rubbish light

Close to Shing, I managed to get this really lousy pic and anyone that can ID it, please let me know what it is?

and then this. Too stunning. White fronted bee-eater?

And a present just before Shing

Once we had checked in, avoiding the restaurant like the plague, the following from our patio

And possibly one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen, regardless of how problematic they are

Common, but beautiful

And lastly, just before I went to bed, there was this

If I’d grown up in Mississippi, this was a definite UFO sighting. Good thing I didn’t, as it was just an unfocused photo of a moth in terrible light

Day 2 next

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Day 2 – 27/11/2012

After having slept the sleep of the dead, occasionally disturbed by images of stink mouse dogs, after the LOOOONNNGGGG drive up to Punda, we woke up bright and early as we had another daunting trip ahead of us. It was the Forum’s birthday and, seeing as were Brownie team B, we were heading down to Satara to meet up with the Brownies!! :dance: :dance: (and driving back to Shing afterwards :shock: ) I forgot to mention that yesterday we bumped into Aat and his SO near the Shing restaurant and he told us about his series of pics he managed to get of the impala ewe giving birth. A truly magical experience, and we were quite jealous!!

We rolled out of camp at 4.45am, and 300 metres out of the gate were this boisterous lot

basking in the early morning sun was this fella

A few grey go-away birds cavorting on the tar (still think grey loerie sounds better, but maybe that’s just me)

A lone daggaboy

These beauties

About an hour into the trip, these 2 magnificent boys

And finally! (I thought they’d all packed up and run off), my first LBR for the trip

Spider’s nest which gave Jax the absolute willies!

And these 2 loners

About 2 kilometers before the Tropic of Capricorn I looked forward, and 200 metres in front of us, a leopard casually sauntering over the road!!! When we got to the point where she had crossed, she was staring back at us from some really thick and long grass about 10 metres in. As soon as I lifted the camera to try and get a pic of her, she bolted, so the following pic is affectionately titled “Leopard was here … honest!!”

Completely elated with the spotted kitty sighting, we stopped at Mopani to grab some padkos – biltong, water, coolies and the like – and I noticed the lake was looking really busy. And so it was – an Egyptian geese convention of serious note. This pic doesn’t show exactly how many birds there were, but I would estimate at least 1000! They were everywhere.

We didn’t stay in Mopani long as it’s 185 kilometres from Shing to Satara, and I wasn’t sure how long it would take us to get there. We’ll be back in Mopani in September 2013 with a lake view, and I can’t wait. Found these 2 ladies being graceful and elegant

This noisy little bugger decided to deliver his alarm call at full volume directly into my right ear as we drew alongside him and nearly gave me a heart attack. Jax, of course, thought it was very funny … :naughty: :doh:

Gorgeous country this

And then mommy and babas, which just warmed the cockles of my still fast-beating heart

Day 2 continued shortly …

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
In order to assuage NetEk’s extreme withdrawal symptoms, herewith the continuation of day 2 of “Are we there yet?” on Kudu Radio 101.01 FM with your host, Porridge Oatspap :tongue:

Day 2 continued

Being of the occasional unsound mind, my sieve of a “brain” thought that we had met a few more mites on the evening of this day whereas this wasn’t the case. The evening of Day One rather, we also met tedredrum, his brother deamole, and a host of their family and friends in Shing. They had been to Crook’s and back that day, so were quite tired. We had a drink with them, and then left them to eat their dinner in peace. (Sorry for being a little senile and “remembering” all cock-eyed, Daron!!)

Continuing on to Satara, a few vultures looking around

Gerries doing their thing

A little further on, I noticed quite a few starlings dive-bombing something in the road, and as we got closer we saw that they were not at all impressed by a snake!! Jax at this point, was lifting her feet off the floor of the car, not being the best friend of the serpentine persuasion. Unfortunately, the closer we got, we saw that this snake had been flattened by a vehicle, and had shuffled off its mortal coil :( :evil: :wall: Undeterred by the motionless snake however, the starlings continued attacking it. Not far past this, we also found a tortoise which had suffered the same fate and I developed a serious case of the mutters about speeding vehicles, both tourist and commercial. :evil:

ImageImage

Troop of baboons with babies a bit later

Wildebeest on his own

And the biggest posterior in the Park, presented for our titillation (What is it about the these animals and the bum poses??!!)

Finally arriving at Satara nearly 7 hours after leaving Shing, the obligatory pic of the Scopsie was taken

Meandering into the restaurant area, we ended up meeting some truly lekker people :D :D WendyA, DellaC, JaniceE, AnniOwl, Victor, Eastr and the infamous Heksie :wiz: The Brownie T-shirts were distributed, bottles of Amarula were hauled out, and the fine crystal red plastic cups were duly topped off. A toast was made to the forum birthday, and then some more toasts to anything anyone could think of. We made our way to the Satara fence at the webcam, and great hilarity ensued while waiting for the webcam to turn and have a look at the very yellow bunch standing at the fence with posters depicting the various letters of Happy B-day. What didn’t help the giggling and laughing was when some poor person came walking up to us asking what we were looking at!! We nearly collapsed. :lol: :lol: (The fruit of the marula may have contributed. Not saying it did, but it may of)

For some odd reason, yours truly didn’t take ANY photos of this meet even though the camera was on the table :doh: Here’s one of the pics taken by the webcam

Once we had said our goodbyes about an hour and a half later, this highly camouflaged and inconspicuous vehicle was spotted in the parking lot :whistle:

What a fantastic meet :D :D

Off we went on the trip back to Shing, and after being blocked for a while by an ellie that seemed to be quite chilled but I wasn’t taking any chances, we moved on, and saw this

Mommy and wartlets at the same spot

Pooh Bear in stealth mode

More gorgeous feathered scavengers

Remember the poor flattened snake and tortie? This MORON came roaring past us doing at least 80 km/h, which explains all the completely unnecessary deaths on the road :evil:

Zebbie baby and mom

Shy korhaan

And at some point during our travels, the reason why we were there in the first place. They were quite a distance off the road, so not the best pic but it was thrilling to see them

We made it back to Shing around 6pm, completely exhausted after over 370 kilometers at an average of less than 30 km/h. A quick braai, a few frosties, and an early night were just what the doctor ordered. Tomorrow we were off to Letaba.

Day 3 soon

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Day 3 & 4

A short note first, holding thumbs for all the staff, nature-lovers and animals in the Kruger right now. The water levels are massive, and given the fact that rivers in our neighbouring countries are also breaking banks and going berserk, there’s still a lot of water headed towards our paradise. Shingwedzi is not looking good, amongst many other places, and I must admit to being quite heart-sore at the thought that this wonderful camp has sustained major damage (and poor EcoJunkie has just finished putting up new posters there too)

Bright and early we left out the eastern gate and headed along the S50 towards Kanniedood Dam. We kept on bumping into Daron, his brother and the entourage too, and saw these first along a few of the many loops. It was a dreary day, so the light wasn’t too great although I’m not going to blame that for my limited photography skills. Perhaps due to the weather, sightings were in relatively short supply, and I am therefore combining days 3 & 4 into one post

The dam was looking much fuller than had been previously reported before we got there, but this pic doesn’t quite have the zing to it than one of the dam at this moment in time would have had.

About 2 kms past the dam wall, something told me to go down another one of the tiny loops, and Jax suddenly got very excited. “STOP, LION!!”, she energetically yelled. He and his brother were on the other side of the river, and I’m afraid this is the best I could do at the zoom level I had to use to make him look like a cat, and not a slightly brown pebble. I also had to contort myself somewhat as the kitty was on Jax’ side of the car, and I gave myself a rather hard thump on my left knee against the seatbelt latch. How I didn’t start making rather colourful sailor noises, I’ll never know … (The bruise that came up was even more colourful)

They were both doing what kitties do best … sleeping. After about 5 minutes of this frenetic leonine activity, we moved on and found these few.

This handsome lad at Grootvlei

And this gorgeous, fluffy thing

Near Mooiplaas this magnificent lad

And this meditating teenager

We popped into Mopani to stretch our legs and get some biltong and stuff (vital energy-giving padkos, most important) and then headed down to Letaba. We arrived MUCH too early to check in, so I gave the Krugermobile some padkos too, and we headed out again. North up the H1-6, and took the S62 up to Engelhard lookout. The road was quite dodgy, but we persevered, and I’m glad we did.

On one of the few loops off down to the dam

Found this plaque most intriguing

Grubby fish eagle having a bath

Then from Matambeni hide, the cutest thing !!

Poor little bugger battled to get out of the water too. We headed back to Letaba after that, and were STILL too early. It was warming up a lot at this stage. To kill time and refresh our sweaty selves, we headed to the restaurant for a cold one or 5.

Day 3 & 4 continued shortly …

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Day 3

After ensconcing the Krugermobile in an appropriate spot, we retired to the tender embraces of Letaba restaurant. The first beer was duly consumed, and then the archetypal “Trrp-trrrrr” was heard by all and sundry.

Needless to say, I was hunting for this elusive one when a British lady overheard me saying that I really needed the pic as it would cost a mite some money, and there Porridge and Crested Val met for the first time along with Dungy and the extended family. After chatting for ages, Val said that they had arranged a mini-meet with Daron and Co, with whom we had had some passing acquaintance. :tongue: That marvelous meeting actually happened while we were there :thumbs_up: I even found the very elusive woodie (obviously), and my apologies for the posterior pic. The pic of the meet is also Daron’s, as I somehow seem to be incapable of taking pics while meeting mites. Notwithstanding, our Val is a real lady, and it was a real priviledge to meet her and her family.

Once everyone had eventually buggered off (which was not a goal which was at a high priority at the time), we checked in. The following from our patio:

Another UFO

And sitting on the benches facing the river

Day 3 and 4 seem to be problematic trying to combine, so the next post will reveal the “vicious attack” , which is Day 4 :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Day 4

Following the wonderful obligatory braai (although there was a whiff of someone’s curry, which was just cruel!), we retired with the intention of leaving a little later in the morning to have a bush breakfast at Makhadzi. Not before this elegant lady came and said hello though.

Fortunately, the next morning the day dawned bright and clear and we left Letaba around 8.00 (May I remind you that we were honeymooners!!) We actually just slept late, really.

On the way up, the temperature was escalating by the minute and was the hottest day to date that we had had so far. As a result of this, we drove the entire way (around 32 kms) without seeing even one 2 or 4 legged sightings. Turning off onto the H15 during this trip rewarded us with a single extremely distant zebra sighting which my camera was completely incapable of capturing. Turning off into Makhadzi, we arrived at the most pleasantly surprising picnic spot.

I believe that this spot was underwater and closed for ages after the January '13 flooding, which is a real pity as I loved it!! Beautifully clean and stilted toilets and kitchen areas, astonishingly helpful staff, what a pleasure!!! Well done, you guys!!! I need to be shot for not remembering their names as I would like to donate for them individually …

After having been well equipped with a gas bottle and skottel, we proceeded to cook our delicious brekkie with stories of lion prides and elephants breaking trees in the picnic area echoing in our ears.

Not long after this, we were enjoying our really tasty repast when a bone-chilling scream was heard.

Eardrums ringing, I looked around to find the source, when I realized it was emanating from my beautiful bride. A knee-jerk reaction ensued and I leapt into action grabbing the nearest lethal weapon, the egg-lifter. Spinning around to face the threat of marauding lion hordes, I almost put my knee out. Realizing that there was no threat to my north, east, or west, my keen instincts prevailed and I managed to turn to the south (without killing myself) where the fair maiden was seated. My first observation was “Where’s the blood?” and then “Brilliant, she’s still breathing”, when I was told in a voice of thunder “GET IT OFF ME!!!!”.

Seeing as I had the egg-lifter in hand, I thought I may be the yolk of the moment but I was too slow. Like lightning, Jax had already ensured that we would not be consumed by savage feral beasts on this journey, and she has my eternal gratitude. We may have died if not for the egg-lifter or Jax’s extraordinary reflexes… A picture of the vicious bugger below.

At this point, there are probably tears in your eyes but here’s a different reason

And this baby

Not much in the rest of the day, but I’ll be back …

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Day 5

We took it very easy for the rest of Day 4, as firstly it was roastingly hot with the animals all trying to find a convenient freezer to get into, and also we were leaving for Satara on Day 5. Relaxing in and around the pool was the order of the day, and we had an early night after munching some yummy lamb chops and boerie. Managed to get this pic of the bats in my belfry just after sunset though.

Around 5.30 am we left Letaba and turned north on the H1-6, and then left on the S47. It was very quiet with very few sightings until about halfway to Mingerhout dam, where a large nursery herd of impies were on the left side of the road. We could see them for quite a distance before we got to them and they were very agitated, to say the least. We could see a big black something in the road ahead which kept rushing at the impie babies, and then being driven off by the mothers. The closer we got, we could see that this big black something had wings. I have never seen this behavior by ground hornbills before, and believe me, once they spread their wings, they are huge!!! By the time we got close enough for a pic, the hornbills had settled down (6 of them) and had moved on a bit. Maybe the impies were making fun of their false eyelashes …

We got to the viewpoint at Mingerhout, and saw ………. absolutely nothing. We switched the engine off and had a cup of Kruger coffee while just listening and soaking up the bush. So peaceful and wonderful, with a large number of Woodies trrp-trrrring away, but none in sight. Heading down towards the S131, this wartie stood still long enough for me to lift the camera, then took off at a rate of knots with this pic being the result. Numpty ..

We ambled back towards Letaba and headed off on the S46/44/93 to Olifants where we had a wonderful breakfast. All credit to the friendly and efficient staff for a very enjoyable experience. What would a stop at Olifants be without the obligatory vista pic?

We went down the S92 to find that the causeway was still closed, and then on the S91 where we turned left on the H1-4, then right on the S39 down to a stop-off at Timbavati picnic spot for a potty break and got this one (After the potty break).

And this one

Down the S40 we saw a baby zebbie

And then my very first sighting of these cute fluffballs :D

Looking majestic

Killing time to check in, got these in front of the restaurant and near the webcam

Turning the water trough into his own personal Valley of the Waves

Once we had checked in, these from our patio

Followed by some cold frosties, wine and AmaAma with our braai, and as so frequently happens, another early night.

A heartbreaking day 6 to follow

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Whoops, time just flies when you aren't paying attention. It's been ages since I posted, and for that my humblest apologies!!! Without further ado, let's press on ...

Day 6

After grabbing some wake-up juice and some Ouma's, we left the gate at 4.35 am which found us driving in near perfect darkness for the first 45 minutes. Headlights on, and hoping for the best, we turned onto the S100 to see what this infamous road would deliver to us today.

In the pre-dawn light which was very grey rendering my flash completely useless, we saw these lads loping along.

and a bit further on these who had somehow managed to get their false eyelashes on in the dark.

and a lone wildebeest a bit later who had fallen in love with this tree's scratching abilities. He spent ages enjoying himself immensely.

Cruising along a little later, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye which I initially thought was a grey Putco bus travelling at 60 km/h through the bush coming my way scaring me half to death. It turned out to be this "sea cow" moving really fast, and she thundered over the road ahead of us and then was gone into the bush. Obviously in a hurry to get back to the water, or to a sale somewhere.

ImageImage

Another blighter in a hurry was this one who just would NOT stop. Run, run, run, run, run. I'm quite impressed I managed to get even this poor pic.

Not even 100 metres further on, I got very excited as we saw this. (Before anyone gets cross with me, we had left the S100 quite some time before).

I couldn't figure out though, quite why this one and the others were extremely nervous, and kept on running backwards and forwards incessantly. Until we saw what was closer to us less than 5 metres off the road. A freshly poached rhino, with the deep hack and gash marks clearly visible and still bleeding : :cry: :cry: A deep pall of depression settled over us coupled with blinding rage. How DARE they!!! :evil: :evil:

I managed to get some phone signal a short distance up the road, and after an extremely frustrating 10 minutes on the emergency number, I was understood enough so that they could give me the Satara ranger's number. I called her, and within 20 minutes, anti-poaching patrols with the dogs were on scene. The ranger later gave me feedback that this was indeed a poaching incident, and not a territorial fight. The bastards managed to get over the border before they could catch them though. Very dejected, we moved on and planned to head back to camp via the shortest route.

KNP, bless her heart, attempted to cheer us up with a couple of cute sightings, but we were finding it difficult to come to terms with the horror that we had witnessed, and I only got a few pics on our way back.

Back at camp, it was by unspoken agreement that that's where we would stay for the rest of the day. Did see this little guy from our patio though.

Over lunchtime we met up with Cheetah2111, Heksie, WendyA ,Tedredrum and his brother at the Satara restaurant which lifted our spirits a lot after having shared the story of the dreadful sighting with them. Again, my pic taking abilities deserted me for the mini-meet :roll:

Day 7 will follow shortly with our trip to Pretorius Kop.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Finally my hubby has continued with the TR :D It was indeed a very sad day

Jaxi

1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]