Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Touareg's KTP TR- Hit and miss, a matter of minutes Dec 2011
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well here we go again :D . I am now back in civilization, against my will, and working through a couple of thousand images deciding what to show on this TR.
To reflect on the last 13 months, I visited the KTP in Dec '10, Mar '11, and now in Dec '11. In between I did a trip to KNP in July '11 and again in Aug '11. Of course the WNP was visited on many occasions for day trips. In total 39 nights in paradise :thumbs_up:. KTP is still my best park for the following reasons ; the low numbers of people; the fact that you can see for miles; that nearly everybody greets you; the magnificent wilderness camps; the huge thunderstorms; the fantastic birds of prey and the unbelievable light in the early morning and late afternoon.

I am not going to do a blow by blow report as a few others are also doing a TR at the same time and much of the details would be covered in the various reports, so make sure you read ALL of them :D.

On this trip was myself and my son M who was as excited as I to be going back to the Kgalagadi. SO had decided the KTP in December was worse the KTP in July so she opted for her own holiday at home. She had also collected all of M's clothes during the year as he was growing like a weed and keeping the clothes and sporting goods shops in business. So we had a nice big bag to deliver to Jannie at Twee Rivieren.

We started from Somerset West at 03:20 on 10 December and headed north. First stop was Calvinia for coffee and rusks and diesel , thereafter we stopped at Upington for diesel and a pit stop and again 60km North of Upington for biltong and droeewors which turned out to be a great decision. On the way to Askham SO called to say that we had forgotten all the eggs at home. Now that was a crises :? We stopped at Askham for the emergency egg stop and found the local supermarket closed on this Saturday afternoon. The attendant at the pumps directed up around the corner to the Om die Hoekie Kafee where we secured 18 eggs. Job done!.

Then the longest part of the journey is the 60 km to the gate. Eventually we arrived and Annetjie ensured a speedy check in. As it was Saturday afternoon, I didn't want to disturb Jannie so I handed the clothes to Annetjie.

We were meeting up with by brother in law and his son from Pretoria for 7 of the 9 days. They had already arrived and were doing an afternoon drive already. We headed for the bungalow to get the cold stuffs into the fridge and then onto Samevloeing and Leeudril.

tbc....All aboard?

KTP: 09 Dec 2012 - 18 Dec 2012

Post subject: Re: Touareg's Dec KTP TR- Hit and miss, a matter of minutes
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice to see a few regulars on board the Landy (btw. don't miss the Touareg Tobie :D ).

After a 10 1/2 hour drive we had booked in and headed for the gates. It was HOT and by the looks of the landscape and lack of animal movement everything was in siesta mode. So i warmed up the camera with a few general shots of a thunderstorm brewing;

A beautiful big tree with weaver nests.

The doorways to the nests.

At Leeudril we saw 2 big lions sleeping under a tree in the distance. No photo opportunity this time. We did take a pic of Jannie's invention :thumbs_up:

The ride is not for free, now please id this bird of prey for me :rtm:

We sat with the bird above for about 30 minutes, hoping it would fly off, but it was very comfortable on top of the weaver nest.

We were lucky to see a very stationery juvenile Martial Eagle.

Time was running out and we had to head back to the camp. No real photo opportunities, but we were chuffed to bits just being here. We met up with brother in law and had a nice braai. An early night was called for.

tbc..

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome all. Nice to see the Landy filling up. I am sitting in Langebaan writing this report but wishing I was back in KTP.

We had a relatively uneventful night with the only excitement coming from a Ghecko pooping on M as he was falling asleep. We moved the beds away from the walls and had no more incidents.

Brother in law was up and packed by the time we agreed to pick up the permits. We collected them first and I was asked to unlock the gate to the park. Should I just lock it behind me again? :twisted:. I wanted to drive up to Leeudril and look for the lions from the previous day and we saw the following; a Cape Fox running away from us;

a Namaqua dove sunning itself;

and then the same juvenile Martial from the previous day going through some kind of attack drill on the dunes. It was grabbing random objects, tossing them around and then pouncing on them.

a PCG family was hunting in the open and this youngster was quite obliging to have its picture taken.

The juvenile had a bit of an altercation with the adult and was immediately dealt with;

The lions were absent so we turned around and headed for the dune road. ON the dune road, which was uneventful as usual we stopped for this Ant-eating Chat and a group of Gemsbok which included a number of youngsters.

The rest of the day increased in tempo and further excitement........tbc.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the positive comments. I am sure you will enjoy this episode.

We left off as we ended the dune road from TR and arrived in the river bed. We passed the first tow waterholes without seeing much and then they were there on the left mere meters from the car. A mother and young Leopard. WOW!. Here is the young one.

And the mom walked across the road and rolled in some brush.

She eventually stood up and looked in for the cub who was still sat on the left hand side off the road looking at us. Mom.

and cub.

The cub eventually decided it had seen enough and darted across the road.

They met up and walked up into the calcrete ridge where they lay down and watched the world go by. I would appreciate some help in identifying these two from Astromat's booklet. ...tbc

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all.

While we were watching the leopards there was a slight distraction as this Swallow-tailed Bee-eater perched beautifully with its own kill. Leopard or bird? Leopard or bird? OK just do both :D.

This one is one of my best of the trip and would rank in the top 10 in my all-time shots. Everything worked out to get the sharpness and the great background.

A little further this Ashey Tit which was a first for me.

We bumped into Bridgena and hubby who informed us of another Leopard a little further on. They had had the cat right next to their car as well. This one is the Auchterlonie male. If it wasn't pointed out to us, we would not have seen it.

It eventually got up and moved into the shade under an overhang.

tbc........

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We stopped off at Kamqua for a quick bite to eat. Our destination was Mata Mata for the next 3 nights so ALL the loops were to be part of the journey there. Just past Urikaruus waterhole we saw two juvenile Secretary birds when an adult suddenly decended. The two young one immediately knelt down, beaks upturned and waited for mom to deliver lunch. It is a bit gross, but the amount of food regurgitated was incredible.

The light by now was incredibly harsh. We came across this but this Juvenile Snake Eagle.

Close to camp we spotted movement under a tree and saw this juvenile PCG enjoying his lunch.

We arrived and Mata Mata and quickly checked into unit 6 and 7 which had perfect views of the waterhole. And more importantly we would have some air-conditioning in the bedroom until the generator was switched off.

We unpacked and prepared a quick lunch before we set off. The two boys went for a dip
tbc....

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So we are back in Somerset West for a few days and then off to Langebaan again for New Year.

OK so let me finish the first full day. The afternoon drive was down to Dertiende and all the loops. We saw the following.

The Juvenile Black Shouldered Kites were everywhere to be seen and they remind me of my Jack Russell with the small body and big attitude. Here one is chasing a Tawney Eagle all over the sky.

Another juvenile, this time a White-breasted Snake Eagle.

We popped in at the owl nest and managed a glimpse of a single bird.

An opportunity to shoot a Secretary bird in flight.

There was a small traffic jam ahead which turned out to be a group of juvenile Black Backed Jackals. We missed the part where the mother had brought a dead cobra for dinner. :(

It was turning out to be an afternoon of juveniles and it was not yet over. In and under a tree no less than 4 Spotted Eagle Owls. Th eight was going so I could only get the one under the tree.

The afternoon had sped by and we soon found ourselves back at the bungalow for a swim, braai and recharging off all the batteries.......tbc

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To start off this episode, I need to include a shot from the previous evening. After a few tries I managed this moon shot. I need more practice, but am so bushed in the evening that I have brain freeze.

We were out the gate at Mata Mata within the first few vehicles and continued south on the quest to find something special. A few vehicles past us, to their own detriment as, just past Sitzas, M spotted movement on the left hand side in the riverbed. A Brown Hyena was making his way along the riverbed.

It decided it wanted to cross the road and sprinted across the road behind us and disappeared over the ridge.

In the Dalkieth loop we stopped for this Tawney.

While I was shooting away M shouted (softly) Wildcat. This guy walked right by the car and into the grass. When will I ever get a shot in the open or in a tree? :wall:

Further along, I couldn't resist this shot of the Gemsbok. The right was soft and the pose just right.

tbc.....an interesting afternoon awaits :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So continuing on, between 14th and 13th borehole a PCG swooped down and pounced on a poor rodent. It turned its back to me and flew off :doh: .

I always stop off and spend some time dertiende watching the birds come and go. A special sighting for me was to see this Green Winged Pytilia, Violet eared and Black-faced Waxbills.

The Lanners were absent even though the Turtle Doves came and went. We then heard the high pitch of the Sandgrouse approaching. Three birds landed in the the water and immediately took off again. For one bird it was the last drink as a Lanner swooped down and grabbed it. The action was so quick I couldn't achieve focus.
The second Lanner landed and then promptly took off again.

Another visitor was the Yellow Mongoose.

We turned around and headed back north, stopping briefly for the Swallow-tailed Bee-eater checking for a meal and other predators.

...what will the afternoon bring :twisted: .....tbc

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

"There's a Cheetah under a tree about 1km back" is what a friendly couple told us as we drove north on the loop in Veertiende Boorgat. It was now 11:10 and we were actually making our way back to Mata Mata for lunch. O! well. We soon found her.

She made her way from tree to tree and walking as high as she could against the ridge to get a better view. Well we had just passed a small group of Springbok and made our way there and waited. Was today the day when M would see his first Cheetah kill? The target.

She got to within 150m when the Springbok got wind off her and stood around whistling alarms. Th eCheetah sat very still in the long grass and at one e a Jackal passed close to her. The Jackal had a strange growth on its side.

The Cheetah circled round a tree and at that stage we lost sight of her. The next moment the tiniest Springbok foal stood up from the long grass. Lunch is served!

The anticipation was driving us insane. And then it happened. She charged our of the long grass; the Springbok scattered and the young one running straight at the 4 cars. She reduced speed and trotted after the foal.

She caught the little foal 5 meters from my car. I had on the 500mm and too much lens to get the whole scene.

She grabbed the foal by the throat and trotted off to the shade of a tree.

It was over. We felt sorry for the foal but new it was nature at play. There can't be more than a mouthful of meat on the little bones.

It was now 12:56 pm.....tbc

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So after the adrenalin boost from from the cheetah kill we headed slowly north stopping for a Hoepoe.

The ever present Ground Squirrell

At last the Barn Owls were showing themselves a bit

We spent some time with a pair of young Secretary Birds who seemed to have a dislike in the mud. Even though they wanted to get to water, they didn't enjoy the mud.

In the Dalkieth loop we were ambushed by a White-chested Snake Eagle, but managed an emergency stop, grab, point and fire off a few frames with the 500mm. At least I had a few in focus.

We ended up at Craig Lockhart and waited for the ever elusive Brown Hyena or anything else. Nothing but the normal birds.

And so another day ends........tbc

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were out the beds and lined up at the Mata Mata gate before you could say "whenamIevergoingtogetapropernightsresteveragain". Even then we were 2nd or 3rd in the queue. Here I also met Jaykay for the first time. I wished for better circumstances but glad to make your acquaintance. After collecting our permit we headed out. Just past Sitzas I spotted a Bat-eared Fox den. Far off and in the shade.

CO9E9812 by cooper5022, on Flickr

And then into the Dalkieth loop. Cheetahs far off...U turn and onto the top road. There they sat. The 2 brothers were surveying the riverbed for breakfast.

CO9E9817 by cooper5022, on Flickr

They decided to move down the hill into the riverbed and off we went again into the loop and eventually picked them up again.

They were in no hurry and this one felt like me. Very tired.

CO9E9830 by cooper5022, on Flickr

The were angling to cross the road in front of us and this silly woman decided to stop in the right hand lane and exchange spots with hubby. I was fuming. Have they never heard about stopping on the side of the sighting. Needless to say we didn't get any more close-up shots. I felt like driving over her Hyundai!! :twisted:

After they crossed, they walked onto higher ground but by this time they had been spotted.

CO9E9833 by cooper5022, on Flickr

We sat and waited for them to re-appear but in vain so we headed south until this Hartebeest decided to pose in the morning sunlight.

CO9E9841 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Further on we halted to watch this display. He was obviously feeling good about himself.

CO9E9874 by cooper5022, on Flickr

In Veeriende Boorgat Loop we watched as a Lanner Falcon nailed this Sandgrouse. One day I will get the mid air hit :evil:

CO9E9878 by cooper5022, on Flickr

CO9E9888 by cooper5022, on Flickr

And on to Dertiende Boorgat.....tbc

Last edited by Touareg on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On to 13th where we sat and watched the world go by. For a second day we saw a Black-faced Waxbill.

CO9E9929 by cooper5022, on Flickr

And then one of my favorite images of the trip. A group of Scaley-headed Finches having a closed meeting.

CO9E9933 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Nothing was happening so we headed south in the loops. Somewhere along the road a Greater Kestrel in a tree made us stop briefly.

CO9E9940 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Along the way we met up with Atromat while the was staking out a Cheetah :thumbs_up:.

So we made it all the way to 13th and still nothing. :? We turned around and made our long way home stopping for a Juvenile STBE.

CO9E9957 by cooper5022, on Flickr

A well hidden Pygmy Falcon.

CO9E9962 by cooper5022, on Flickr

At Dalkieth I spotted a silhouette which I though was a small falcon, but it turned out to be a African Cuckoo. A first for us.

CO9E9977 by cooper5022, on Flickr

It stayed in the shade, making photography quite challenging. Some termites on the ground drew its attention and it dropped to the ground for a quick snack.

CO9E9986 by cooper5022, on Flickr

tbc..........

Last edited by Touareg on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi and thnx ladies and gents. I have a few more images to share with you, but the page is turning too slowly for my liking so I will post another episode now :roll:

It was now 12:30 and my a@$ was really dragging. I needed a bit of sleep and what place better than under the huge tree at Craig Lockhart. We pulled up to the tree, let the windows down, hooked up the window support system, gave M instructions on what sighting was worth waking me for and promptly fell asleep with a cool breeze blowing through the car.

From a deep, but brief sleep, I heard "here they come!" What? Where?. I was up and behind the camera before you could say "Ithoughtthiswasgoingtobeapowernap" A pair of Bateleurs were circling with the intent to come and land for a drink. They are our favorite birds of prey and we wanted to get a few pics of them up close.

The first bird came in fast but decided to land in the dead tree to the right.

CO9E0066 by cooper5022, on Flickr

After a brief scan of the area the male bird dropped down to the waterhole.

CO9E0112 by cooper5022, on Flickr

The female was still circling, but decided to come closer and perch in the same dead tree.

CO9E0126 by cooper5022, on Flickr

She eventually came in for a drink. The female has a white bar on her wings, which is absent in the male.

_MG_9373 by cooper5022, on Flickr

While these two were slaking their thrust, a Tawney circled and dropped down to the dead tree as well. We were really hoping it was going to going the Bateleurs.

CO9E0178 by cooper5022, on Flickr

All it did was to sit there and fluff it's feathers.

CO9E0193 by cooper5022, on Flickr

CO9E0196 by cooper5022, on Flickr

The Bateleurs just dried their feathers and then took off again.

CO9E0203 by cooper5022, on Flickr

The Tawney left without coming down to drink. We decided to leave, but not before we were visited by a Secretary bird.

CO9E0014 by cooper5022, on Flickr

So much for a nap. It was now 15:00 and we decided to do the Dalkeith loop again....tbc

tbc........

Last edited by Touareg on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for staying aboard. It was still very hot, around 35 degrees, and the animals were all huddling in every piece of shade.

_MG_9402 by cooper5022, on Flickr

One of the birds of prey I am still keen to photograph at the waterholes are the various vultures. We saw many of them perched in trees for what seemed like the whole day. This one was actually in the air :)

CO9E0232 by cooper5022, on Flickr

At the entrance to Dalkieth a juvenile BSK was having a sparring session with a branch. It was flying up and stomping the branch time after time.

CO9E0262 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Another juvenile bird was this Swallow-tailed Bee-eater.

CO9E0274 by cooper5022, on Flickr

We saw a few groups of Ostriches with large numbers of young with up to 30 chicks in the group. This group was made up of older chicks.

CO9E0286 by cooper5022, on Flickr

And then we saw large numbers of Red-billed Quelias flying down to a small puddle in the river bed and then back onto a small perch. This is one of my favorites images of all trips. Happy to share it with you.

CO9E0301 by cooper5022, on Flickr

I was also lucky to see another Black-chested Snake Eagle (again in the sky) (EDIT thnx Arks)

CO9E0320 by cooper5022, on Flickr

On the way up to Mata Mata we came across a few Giraffes.

CO9E0354 by cooper5022, on Flickr

A few landscape shots to end the day.

_MG_9424 by cooper5022, on Flickr

_MG_9426 by cooper5022, on Flickr

_MG_9430 by cooper5022, on Flickr

So that was it for day 4 and our last night in Mata Mata. Tomorrow we would be off to Nossob for 3 nights.....tbc

Last edited by Touareg on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next