Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Cloggy Kruger Highlights
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:08 pm 

Day 14
The worst moment of the holiday. It’s time to leave. Our flight leaves around 23:00 hours so we still had time to drive through the Kruger. We had breakfast back at the Bushwise. We weren’t going to rush today. After a nice breakfast we put the cases in the trunk. We were talking outside with Tim (the owner) when the 2 biggest warthogs came walking up. They were the biggest (how my dad calls them)”pigs” we had ever seen. They obviously get fed in Marloth Park. They don’t reach them sizes in Kruger, they are eaten by then. We said our goodbyes and left the Bushwise. We saw some kudu, impala and even 3 giraffes in Marloth Park. We entered the Kruger park via a gate around 9 o’clock.

We drove around for an hour and we saw a lot of impala, “pigs”, and rhinos! We were seeing rhinos every ware. It was fantastic, the amount of rhinos we had seen this holiday you wouldn’t say that they are in danger, truth is totally different though :( . Weird thing was that we didn’t manage to get a good pic that day. They were playing hide and seek behind the trees.

Before I forget it again. Yesterday in the guided game drive Werner stopped the car and told us we had to take a pic of this bird. He said it was extremely rare to see. I don’t know if he was taking the micky out of us or not :hmz: , hopefully you guys can tell me what bird it is and if it is a really rare bird? It was the Australians first game drive and we are not what you would call...birders :redface: . So we were easy targets.

Still driving on we bumped in to a lovely heard of male and female kudus. There were about 15 of them, all of them happily munching away on juicy leaves. We find them the most impressive antelopes. Sadly we can’t compare properly , still yet to see eland, sable and roan :pray: . Enough about our personal problems, here are a few pics of the kudus.

After a lunch stop we carried on our drive. We drove to transport dam to see if there was a hyena den. We had seen a hyena laying down there on the transport dam turnoff, but the visibility was poor. We didn’t see any hyenas on the turnoff but we did see 4 of these guys. The weather had brightened up the last 2 days, so now that they weren’t wet en miserable they decided to start harassing the cars again. This time the car in front of us had to worry about their tyres.

At transport dam it was much quieter than the first time that we were there. Except for a few hippos.

We managed to see a rock monitor. It was laying right in front of all the cars. The funny thing was dad we were the ones to spot It. Cars had been staring down there binos so badly to spot something that they didn’t see the monitor right in front of them. We pointed this out to them, next moment it was a super model monitor, everyone was taking a pic of it.

We drove on towards numbi gate. We didn’t see much else. We arrived at P’kop around 14:30. We did some shopping for the drive towards J’burg. We agreed to leave the Kruger at 15:00 that day. We were really tempted to drive the S8 one more time. The hyena den and the wild dog den which we still hadn’t seen. We decided against it. We didn’t manage to see wild dogs this trip. We have never seen wild dogs, so now we have a reason to come back again :tongue: . After all we had an amazing trip with loads of amazing sightings. Here’s a summary of what we had seen this trip and how many of them.

Lion: 58
Leopard: 9
Cheetah: 5
Hyena: 30
Black backed jackal: 8
Side striped jackal: 3
African wild cat: 2
Honey badger: 1
White rhino: 32
Black rhino: 3
Common reedbuck: 2
Porcupine: 2
Large spotted genet: 3
Small spotted genet: 2
Rock monitor: 2
Impala: about 100.000 :tongue:
And loads more...

TR: "Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Post subject: Re: Cloggy Kruger Highlights
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

t-bal wrote:
Day 14

Before I forget it again. Yesterday in the guided game drive Werner stopped the car and told us we had to take a pic of this bird. He said it was extremely rare to see. I don’t know if he was taking the micky out of us or not :hmz: , hopefully you guys can tell me what bird it is and if it is a really rare bird? It was the Australians first game drive and we are not what you would call...birders :redface: . So we were easy targets.

Image...

T-bal :hmz: I could be wrong, but i think it is a Purplecrested Louri :think: (Birders, please help)

Thank you for the magic photo's an "lekker" TR :thumbs_up:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2