Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 4
 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Spotty Easter in KNP!
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Monday 09 April cont …

This one wasn’t content with the water in the dam, but was digging for fresh water …

I noticed his little tusks seemed to be growing at a strange angle …

The ellies were teasing the hippos.

but also enjoying the water themselves …

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Monday 09 April cont …

I found myself on my way back to Duke’s … I wonder why!!!

Relief – no cars!

I sat and had my lunch (having scanned the trees with my binocs) and watched these zebras using an old branch as a rubbing post …

Very cute!

I came across these guys who were totally chilled …

(The wartie could almost be saying “That’s how I want to look when I grow up!”)

I was heading up to Lower Sabie when I got an sms from Hotshot!!! He and his family were now in Lower Sabie (having been at Satara); they were on their way out for an afternoon drive and heading towards Croc Bridge. I sms’d back saying we’d probably see each other en route as I was north to Lower Sabie!

Sure enough, a short while later and we had a SanParks Forum Mini Meet! I told them about my Duke’s leopard sighting the day before and that I was pretty sure it had been back that morning judging by the cars there and the lenses that were on show. I will leave it to Hotshot to let you know whether they went that way, what they saw, etc, when he gets around to doing his April TR – COME ON HOTSHOT!!!!!

I went and sat at Sunset Dam for an hour or so just chilling and admiring the hippos, crocs, grey herons, yellow billed storks, giant kingfishers and Kruger Park Appletizer!

After gate closing time, I made my way over to Hotshot’s bungalow with a few Savannas, slightly nervous about sitting outside after dark with all the large jumping critters that were about.

It was fun to meet up and exchange stories.

We were totally engrossed in conversation about something or another when something HUGE flew into me. I let out such a scream and shot out of my chair as quickly as a flash of lightening. Hotshot’s wife and daughter joined in the panic with me while Hotshot sat there in fits of laughter!

Well I got the last laugh from the look on his face when I said to him “You might think that was really funny but I’ve just wet myself!”

We all had a laugh; the girls and I calmed down and re-composed ourselves (!); and we carried on where we left off with great conversation and laughter (and luckily no more flying critters!). Hotshot cooked a delicious boerewors which we tucked in to whilst enjoying the sounds of the bush!

Last edited by WendyA on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tuesday 10 April

I headed north out of Lower Sabie this morning. At Sunset Dam the hippos were making it known how content they were with all their grunting; the herons were showing off their surfing skills; a couple of giant kingfishers were looking about for breakfast; marabou storks were hanging around, and yellow billed storks were scouring in the water to see what they could find. I sat for a while and just soaked it all up … the start to another amazing day in Paradise.

A little further on and impalas were grazing and there were a couple of shy bushbuck .

Around the corner a few cars were edging along very slowly … dogs again!

It was a smaller pack than the pack I’d seen a few days before.

It looked like they were on the hunt …

At one point in the road ahead I noticed an impala. Oh No!!!

The dogs also noticed the impala …

“Run baby, run …” I was thinking to myself. The impala followed my psychic orders (!) and took off. The dogs followed but were obviously unsuccessful as they were soon back on the road.

I’m pretty sure it was the exact same spot where the impala had been killed a couple of days before. They were sniffing like mad …

and I’m sure this is a bone left over from the kill that had taken place a couple of days before …

Couldn’t resist this “bum” shot …

I continued on and at the junction with the S21 N’watimhiri Road, ground hornbills …

with a youngster

I love the inquisitive look these birds have …

I turned on to the S21 and came across this beauty which looks like a very dark brown snake eagle???

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tuesday 10 April cont …

At the natural water pond on the left hand side, a grey heron was waiting patiently to see what delicacies may be on offer …

A little further on, a little klippie enjoying the warmth of the morning sun …

I watched a bachelor herd of impala grunting and locking horns with each other in a display of manhood. It always makes me laugh that seconds after being aggressive and chasing each other all over the place, they will re-join the rest of the herd, walking back together like best buddies!!

Mr and Mrs Double-banded Sandgrouse …

and a cheeky vervet monkey …

It was still early (not quite 8am). I’d received a BBM earlier saying that lions were at Renosterkoppies – I doubted they’d still be there by the time I got there.

Very close to the end of the S21, not far from Renosterkoppies, and a Thomson’s JJ was out of his vehicle. It looked as if he was getting drinks out of the cooler box at the back for his guests.

Whatever he was doing, he shouldn’t have been out of his vehicle. I was about 20m away from him; when he saw me he indicated for me to drive past. When he realised that I was going nowhere, but taking down his details, he indicated far more aggressively for me to drive on past. I wanted to take a photo but felt quite intimidated. I passed him and couldn’t help thinking about what a bad example he was for his guests. If they see their JJ getting out of the vehicle to get a drink (or whatever), no doubt they think it’s perfectly acceptable for them to do the same when they are in the park doing the self-drive thing.

A couple of minutes later he sped past me, leaving me in a cloud of dust. I had got his registration so got on to the BBM Sightings Groups …

“08:25am, S21, 1.5kms from junction with S114. Thomson’s Safari Vehicle Registration DRV 921 MP. Driver out of his vehicle. Visibility – 10/10”

I heard back from Japie@WLSightings – he wanted to know if I’d got any photos. I replied that I hadn’t as I was on my own and felt intimidated. He came back to tell me that the same vehicle had been seen that day with the driver AGAIN out of his vehicle. It had been at a lion sighting where the lions were sleeping and the driver was collecting rocks and sticks to throw at them to try and wake them … UNBELIEVABLE.

I decided I needed peace and quiet, a little bit of tranquillity to restore my calm … Lake Panic!

Aaaaaaaaahhhh!

The Jacana at Lake Panic have been taking lessons from the Surfing Herons at Sunset Dam …

I watched a pied kingfisher as he caught fish then knocked the life out of them before swallowing them …

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tuesday 10 April cont …

Peace and tranquillity restored, it was time to get back in the car again. I’d received a BBM about a leopard sighting on the S65 Waterhole Road. It was only 11am – I’d try that road then head back to Lower Sabie via the H1-1 and H4-1.

No …….. !!!!!

Not even half an hour after leaving Lake Panic and more idiots … and this time at an ellie sighting – a breeding herd at that!

Maybe people think that if their feet aren’t actually touching the ground it doesn’t count as being out of your vehicle???

(These photos were also sent to Mr Mhaule with details regarding where and when they were taken). Surely there’s no excuse as to why these people can’t be traced and fined? I got clear shots of both licence plates.

On the S65 I came to the leopard sighting … it was obvious from the number of cars that were there. Nah, after the hour and a half that I’d spent at Duke’s yesterday I decided it wasn’t worth it so continued on …

The rest of the S65 was pretty quiet – no photos and nothing added to my sightings list.

I was so close to Transport Dam I decided I’d go and see what was happening there …

A lovely LBR on the way …

The usual Waterbuck were at Transport Dam …

Travelling back on the H4-1 I added warties, a fish eagle and zebra to my sightings for the day.

I drove across the H12 high level bridge

In the riverbed on one side was a herd of ellies …

and on the other side a couple of bushbuck …

I think they are so beautiful, especially the way they are so cautious …

My last photo for the day was a scenery shot taken at Lubyelubye

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wednesday 11 April

I was out of the gate when it opened at 6am and headed north. At Sunset Dam this morning there was a large troop of baboons, the ever-present hippo, a few surfing herons and a herd of impala.

I took the S79 N’watimhiri Causeway but it was VERY quiet; nothing to add to my sightings list.

At the end of the Causeway I headed south again and sat by N’watimhiri waterhole for some time, admiring the kingfishers and bee eaters …

There were also a few sunbirds flitting around but they are so fast that capturing them is difficult …

I continued south …

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wednesday 11 April cont …

Then at the bridge over Vurhami (Gezantfombi), 3 lionesses and 2 cubs chilling in the shade …

Further on and this big boy …

and this VERY big boy … :redface: :redface: :redface:

Other sightings on my drive back to Lower Sabie that afternoon included

I braved the evening critters and had dinner with Eddie, my neighbour, as it was his last night in the park. Eddie is a keen photographer and had spent almost every day at Sunset Dam. When I’d mentioned the leopard I’d seen at Duke’s, he went back the following day and got some good shots. He was grateful to me for letting him know about the leopard and I was grateful to him for sharing his firelighter tip with me.

He dries out his used teabags then puts them in a large Ricoffy tin; pours in about a third of a bottle of paraffin, gives it a good shake and VOILA! Instant firelighters! Needless to say, I recycle all my teabags now and will never be buying firelighters again!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thursday 12 April

I woke up this morning to the miaowing of an African Wild Cat. I quickly went outside and joined 2 others who were looking for it – unfortunately we were unsuccessful.

I headed south this morning. I found Mr Gnu having his early morning cuppa …

Mr Kudu on his early morning saunter …

and these young boys who had been watching their Daddies fighting and decided they'd have a go as well to see what it was all about …

This guy decided he had right of way …

As did this lady …

A car pulled up and told me that there was an impala a little further on at the side of the road and it looked as if something was wrong with its back leg.

I continued on and came to the spot where the impala. The lady who was staying in the hut next to mine was there. There was blood on the side of the road, it was obvious this was a “hit and run” accident. :evil: :evil: :evil: I had a quick chat with “my neighbour” – we decided to continue on to Croc Bridge in convoy. I went ahead, she followed.

We were driving along at a snail’s pace and were almost back on the H4-2 tar road when I caught site of a leopard sitting a little way into the bush at the side of the road. I slammed my foot on the brakes (but even at 15kms this makes a noise on the dirt roads), and reversed a couple of metres to where the leopard was. I indicated for “my neighbour” (who I now know as Jeanie) to come forward. Unfortunately the noise of the tyres on the dirt spooked the leopard who stood up and took off into thicker bush (fortunately both Jeanie and I got a chance to see her for a few seconds though).

Just then, a young cub appeared and ran off to catch up with Mum – SO cute!

If you look closely you can just about make them out ...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thursday 12 April cont ...

Just before getting to Croc Bridge I spotted a Yellow Ribbon – it was GranJan! We had a quick chat as she was on her way to pack up and check out of Croc Bridge; we did, however, get to meet up again at Lower Sabie when we had more time to catch up.

Jeanie and I continued to Croc Bridge where we stopped for coffee and a proper chat! Jeanie is from Australia and had been to Kruger 3 times in the past 3 years, having always gone on an organised safari. She’d done a few days with a safari company this time but had decided to take the leap and do the self-drive thing! I told her all about the SanParks forum which she’s now joined ... welcome “The Dog Lady” (another Kruger-holic ... people thought I was crazy going back just 7 weeks later in June but at least I only had a 4 hour drive ahead of me. Guess who was was also back in June after a 12 hour FLIGHT followed by a 5 hour drive???!!).

Jeanie had never been to the Hippo Pools before and I think it is great to experience the ability to get out of your car “in the bush” so off we went. On the way there we passed this lovely ellie and calf … quite a tusk she has on the right though her left tusk has been broken off …

When we got to the Hippo Pools, there was already a car there void of occupants and up on the rocks we spotted Daniel with his “guests”. Daniel waved to us and we waved back. We sat for 10 minutes or so and waited for them to return; Daniel was intrigued as to why we didn’t want to get out of our cars ... he’d been indicating for us to go and join them!!!

Anyway, Jeanie and I got out of our cars and went for a short walk with Daniel. I am still amazed at what good eyesight he has – how can he manage to spot impala, flowers, etc, so far away without his binoculars?

There were hippos and crocs in the river (check out the little baby in the photo below!);

in the distance were impala and a herd of buffaloes that suddenly took off and left a cloud of dust behind them. We watched through our binoculars in anticipation, wondering what might have suddenly made them run off. Unfortunately nothing transpired.

It was about 11am; Jeanie received an sms from the safari guide she’d been on tour with previously and I got a BBM ... a leopard had made a kill on the north section of the S28. We decided that by the time we got there it would be a traffic jam, so drove back slowly via the S130, S137 and S28.

We went around to the back of Gezantfombi fist, and playing peek-a-boo with the hippos was this lady …

Next thing, this big chap appeared …

He walked along the dam wall and sat down.

Jeanie and I drove around to the bridge where we had a much better view …

We continued north and got to the spot on the S28 where the leopard had been in the morning. It was about 2pm. A couple of cars were there and said the leopard had disappeared into the bush about an hour before. Jeanie returned to Lower Sabie for a spot of lunch and loo break; I had my Lays tube (!) and “padkos” with me so went and sat at Sunset Dam for a while ...

About an hour later I decided I’d return to the leopard kill on the S28. There was only one car there. What was left of the kill was clearly visible in the tree …

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thursday 12 April cont …

When I pulled up the driver saw my YR and asked if I was a SanParks forum member – it was SAF! He’d been sitting there for an hour or so waiting for the leopard to reappear but was now thinking about moving on. He told me he was loathed to go as he had a feeling that as soon as he left the leopard would reappear. He hung around a while longer then took off. I watched his vehicle disappear in my rear view mirror, but a couple of seconds later he turned around and came back!

“Is the leopard back yet?” he asked!

“No” I told him, so once again he took off ...

Well, SAF, as I said in my PM, I know you are going to hate me for this, but guess what????

I could still see your tail lights in my rear view mirror when can you believe what appeared out of the bush???!!!

He had a quick loo break

I was the only car there!!!

He walked towards the tree checking out his kill …

then climbed the tree and started chowing into the carcass.

The noise of the crunching of the bones was incredible – I’d never been that close to leopard with its kill before so this was all new to me.

A couple of cars arrived – we all had a similar view; unfortunately the tree’s branches were in the way of the “perfect picture” but it was still an amazing sight to witness and listen to!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thursday 12 April cont …

Check out his claws …

There was still quite a bit of the carcass left but it was obviously not 100% secure so the leopard dragged it a little further up into a more secure spot.

Jeanie arrived! We gave each other the thumbs up and watched for another 5 minutes or so before the leopard came down the tree, did a bit of personal grooming then wandered back off into the bush again!

On a high, we drove to Sunset Dam where we sat and enjoyed the rest of the day with a couple of cold Kruger Park Appletizers and reflected on the “unmentionables” that we’d seen during the day …

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Friday 13 April

My last full day in the park … I was up early. There was no sign of life from Jeanie and I wasn’t comfortable leaving to get to the gate for 6am without ensuring she was up … she had a flight to catch from Nelspruit!

Luckily I knocked on her door as she was FAST ASLEEP!!! We said our goodbye’s and I headed into the park.

I’d received a BBM the previous afternoon about lions taking down a buff on the S30 Salitjie Road and had arranged to meet Hotshot and his family there for a Kruger Park Coffee.

A beautiful Kruger sunrise to start the day …

general game enjoying the morning sunshine …

I drove over the bridge and onto the S128. It was a quiet morning; this lappet faced vulture was on the lookout for something to scavenge on …

I turned on to the S30; it was very quiet – no animals and no cars either which was strange, especially as no doubt word had got out about the buffalo kill.

I went over the first river on the S30 … it was so dry …

and I was feeling rather parched myself so pulled into a layby to make a coffee. I was reaching around in the back of the car when Hotshot appeared! He’d driven the S30 from the H12 and there was no sign of a kill whatsoever – no vultures, NOTHING. We had a coffee and said our “cheerios”.

I turned around and headed towards Mlondozi where I came across a couple of vultures who appeared to be looking into their nest to say “what on earth is that” … perhaps another cuckoo???!!!

More ostriches amongst the zebra and wildebeest …

Then something pink was fluttering in front of the car … it was a cricket. Now, you know what I’m like with crickets but I was just intrigued and amazed by the colours so had to take a photo.

I guess the pink only shows when the wings are open but I wasn’t brave enough to wait until it decided to hop off again in case it hopped into my car!

From Mlondozi I headed south on the H10.

Buffalo chilling in the river bed

Hippos chilling in the river

I turned onto the S28 and came across quite a large herd of impala …

amongst them was this youngster who’d had a lucky escape …

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Friday 13 April cont …

I got to Duke’s where I poured myself a coffee. I was just about to take a sip when a cricket the size of a flipping helicopter flew into the car and attached itself to my nose!

Well, I let out such a scream, my arms were flying about and I was shaking my head to try and get the blasted thing to let go of my nose. My coffee went everywhere and when the cricket finally did hop off somewhere else, I was left with a red mark on my nose where it had been gripping on for dear life!

Having scared away anything within a couple of kilometres with my screams, I decided not to hang about. I drove on and passed what I now know is a Peanut Butter Acacia bush (as advised by Daniel at the Hippo Pools!).

and some nice zebra …

At Gezantfombi, impala and waterbuck were chilling …

as were a couple of crocs …

Back on the S28 and this guy was enjoying his mud bath …

But got up to join the rest of the herd as they crossed the road …

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Friday 13 April cont …

Further on and a herd of ellies with a couple of youngsters … SO cute to watch!

I stayed with the ellies until they wandered off – such a joy to watch!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Friday 13 April cont …

And then … can you believe it …???

Nothing in comparison to the leopard at Duke’s or the one with the impala in the tree RIGHT next to the road, but still so special to watch …

He turned and looked into the tree to his left …

I followed his gaze and guess what …..?????!!!!!

Not one but TWO leopards in another tree not 15metres from where the first one was lying!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

What a SPOTTY Easter I was having in the park!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next