Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Panekoek's Kgalagadi 2014, From a students eyes (Lens)
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:26 pm 

Hi guys.

I haven't been on the forums for a loong time but I'm happy to say that I missed you guys a lot and that I'm back :dance: :dance:

I know that you are all wondering why I have not put a month in the heading, and the reason for that is, that I have been to the KTP 3 times already this year(so far :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ahh the life of a student :think: 8) ) and I have decided to do it all in one big TR. I know I'm being lazy, but it will force me to follow through all the pictures :redface:

So Sit back, Relax and enjoy the show!!!!

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi 2014, From a students eyes(Lens)
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 pm 

It all started in early December 2013. My girlfriend and I embarked on a month long road trip, Starting at St Lucia in Natal, heading down the coast, a few nights in Umhlanga, Port St Johns, Coffee Bay, Hogsback, Cinsta, Plett and Wilderness. We then headed up to end our journey with a 5 night stay In the KTP. On the way up from wilderness we stopped at the Karoo National park for a 3 hour drive which was a first for me. It was Incredible! It reached 43 C that day but it was still a day to remember. Here are some photos from there:

To be continued... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:28 am 

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the replies! It really keeps me motivated to carry on when I see so many people are enjoying my TR :)

Down to business... :think: :think:

We drove up from Wilderness, through Beufort west and stopped at an old "Motel" in Victoria Wset for what was probably one of the most hot and uncomfortable nights of my life (There was no aircon and it dropped to a low of about 30 C)

My girlfriend was understandably not a happy chappy and was having second thoughts about the KTP(She had never been before), but I assured her, It will all be worth it! And boy was I right!

We arrived the next morning at Twee Rivieren Gate at about 10:30AM. It was already 30 C and were headed to Eric at Urikaruus.

At Kamfersboom, we were greeted by these two handsome devils :twisted: :twisted:

We were also greeted by some lovely Bee eaters

We got to Urikaruus, my girlfriend went to lie down and I sat on the balcony with camera in hand (Boy would I not regret that decision) :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

A herd of springbok came down to drink and all of a sudden they looked in one direction(not the band :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

What had spooked them? :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

To be Continued :cam: :cam: :cam: :cam: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:24 pm 

So as I was saying, the bokkies were all looking in one direction. I knew something had to be there. I called my girlfriend to come look and as she arrived onto the balcony, Chaos ensued! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

She managed to catch one past unit 4 but she was too far to get pictures of after the chase :) Was an incredible experience! I just held that shutter button down!

I think after that, My girlfriend did not need any more convincing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TBC...

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:43 am 

Hi Everyone!

Hope your weekends are going well!

Thanks again for your continued comments and support :)

So to continue...

After the cheetah kill it was already 3pm and we decided that we were just going to go for a drive up towards Mata Mata. As we turned left off the Urikaruus Private road, not 50m back onto the Auob road, we were pleasantly surprised to find these guys chilling in the road :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

What a great start to the trip! My SO had already fallen in love with the Kalahari and we had only been there for less than a day!! :dance: :dance:

By now it was late so we drove a little more and saw this guy smiling at us :mrgreen: (ID PLS) :cam: :cam:
Maybe a lesser Kestral?? :hmz: :redface:

To be continued...

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 pm 

Thank you so much for all the replies :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And sorry for the delay

So we got back to Urikaruus, the waterhole was quiet but I did get some nice shots of the place.

Who can spot the animal in the pic above :cam:

I only saw i after I took the picture, not when it was there :redface: :redface: :wall:

The next morning we left towards TR and had some nice sightings on the way

This cute guy

I couldn't believe how green the park was.

TBC :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]