Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: canon's A trip of extremes ..... Tankwa Karoo NP, April '14
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

During April SO and I decided to undertake a trip which would be a first for us. This trip would be very different to what we had become accustomed to over the years. We had never visited this part of the world and had looked forward to it for many months. If you want to see pics of animals, animals and more animals please don't read any further. During this trip we simply put our feet up and enjoyed some of the best scenery that South Africa can offer and this will be appropriately displayed in the many photographs that I took. This trip took us to the Tankwa Karoo National Park, The west coast section of the Namaqua NP and we finished off with a few days in the Cederberg. I know the Cederberg area is not a SAN Park so if the mods feel that I should leave this section out please inform me.

We departed from Grahamstown on the Thursday afternoon before Easter and headed for a farm stay just outside Steytlerville.

We had a very comfortable nights sleep in a delightfully restored cottage before heading off early the next morning. Just before passing through Steytlerville we stopped at this well-known landmark

Fortunately the road was quiet and we stopped for a coffee break just before reaching the cement section of the Steytlerville / Willowmore road

A fuel stop was required in Willowmore and whilst filling up we spotted the "Willow Limo" passing by. How nice it was to see well kept donkeys who were certainly really friendly fellows, allowing SO to cuddle up for a photo

Our next stop would be Prince Albert. We decided to follow our GPS and took the gravel road to Klaarstroom. This proved to be a good choice - the road was in excellent condition which meant that we could make good time on this short cut. The countryside was stunning and we never passed another vehicle on this 90km stretch of road. The inner man needed some attention by the time we reached Prince Albert - certainly a lovely little town. We stopped off at a well known boarding establishment to have a bite before tackling the final leg of the journey to Tankwa.

Soon after passing through Laingsburg we turned right and headed up towards Sutherland - the first time that we had been on this road. It is certainly a lovely drive as you climb up towards the coldest place in SA. About 40km before reaching Sutherland we once again trusted our GPS, yurned left onto a very un-used gravel road and allowed the GPS to direct us to the entrance of the Tankwa Karoo NP. This was also a beautiful drive and the road not too bad. At one stage we thought that our GPS had let us down because we thought we were certainly heading in the wrong direction. However, we eventually arrived at the sign which took us into the Tankwa so we breathed a huge sigh of relief. Here the roads deteriorated dramatically so we slowed down to a snails pace as we headed towards reception - these roads have a reputation of being tyre eaters" ". We were very relieved to see this sign as we turned off to reception

The reception is housed in a restored farm house. The staff were very friendly and check-in went smoothly

We were booked in at very remote Biesjesfontein for one night and then the popular Langkloof camp site for three nights. As we left for Biesjesfontein this Spotted Dikkop greeted us at the turn-off

It was getting a bit late and we still had to head west for about 30km to reach our very remote camp site. The twee spoor track ensured that going was a trifle slow but this enabled us to soak up the unbelievable scenery as we headed out into the plains leaving the Roggeveld mountains behind us. We immediately got a sense of absolute solitude which was exactly why we were here. WE passed Pramberg was was basking in the evening sunshine before reaching the turn-off to Biesjesfontein

In the distance we saw the old Biesjesfontein farmstead which had been abandoned years ago.

We wasted no time setting up camp for the night. We enjoyed a lovely braai and simply sat up late admiring the unbelievably bright stars and hearing nothing but our own breathing - AWESOME to say the least. We felt as though we were the only human beings on the planet.

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP
4 - 7/8/15 Richtersveld NP
17 - 26/8/15 Kgalagadi NP

Last edited by canon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A trip of extremes - and then an acorn fell on my head..
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 2

We had such a peaceful night's sleep in our RTT. During the night I did wake up to the sound of something scratching around outside - assume it could have been a jackal or such like. We also heard the distant howl of a jackal which really was eerie - it seemed to echo forever. We lay in a bit and opened the ends of the RTT. Where in the world can you lie in your tent sipping a cup of coffee whilst gazing across miles and miles of nothing seeing only the mighty Cederberg mountains in the distance.

We walked around a bit and could not believe that where we were used to be a productive farm. This must have been a chicken run or such like

There was once an active borehole here as well but now the pipes are forlorn and dry

Imagen the distance we saw another cottage which was most likely a labourers house. The vastness of the countryside was so enriching to the soul

We sat in the early morning warmth watching the sun rising over Pramberg in the east. What a way to enjoy your second cuppa of the day

We noticed that there were reeds growing in a patch about 100m from the house. On closer inspection I discovered that this was in fact a fountain and there was lovely fresh water oozing out of the ground. This is obviously Biesjesfontein (Biesjes Fountain). I wasn't long before the Yellow Canaries, the Sandgrouse and many more birds converged on the fountain - it was almost as though they had set their alarm!

We watched the fountain for ages hoping that the Gemsbok would arrive but this was not to be. We needed to pack up so that we could head off into the Roggeveld Mountains to our new home for 3 nights. We wished we had booked here for longer because the campsite grew on us and another day of this peace and quiet would have been wonderful

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Packing up was quick and we headed off - we could not decide if we should head south via the Oudebaaskraal Dam or to re-trace our route from yesterday. Apparently there was abundant bird life on the dam but we chose to follow the same route back mainly because time was marching on. We once again passed Pramberg (looks like groot pram and klein pram)

We soon reached another old abandoned farmstead aptly named Prambergfontein and yes you have guessed correctly - there is a lovely fountain here as well. These fountains were no doubt the life blood for these farms.

We had seen quite a few Springbok and Gemsbok but they appeared to be very skittish - most of the time they dashed off in a cloud of dust the minute they saw our vehicle. This scene is so typical of this section of Tankwa

As we travelled east so the Roggeveld Mountains loomed ahead of us. I said this was a trip of extremes - we had spent a night out on the endless plains of the Tankwa and now we were heading deep into the bowels of these mountains...

Just before reaching reception where we would pick up our keys we encountered a herd of about 35 Eland - what a pleasant surprise

We popped in at reception to fetch the keys for Langkloof No 1. This camp site, together with Perdekloof have been jazzed up somewhat. They have a bathroom and kitchen which is very convenient. I had seen pics of the Langkloof Camp Site before and noticed that the bathrooms were adjoining which meant that the campsites (there are two of them) were very close together. I must confess that this did worry me somewhat especially considering that this was Easter Weekend. I made a tentative enquiry at reception asking if Site No 2 was occupied. The lady at reception smiled and informed me that there was a family there. Well it did not take us long to realize why she had a wry smile when I made the enquiry - more about this later....

We wended our way up the "twee spoor" track and soon we were in the Langkloof which is truly spectacular

I guess we travelled about 12 km up the valle,y passing the Pyper se Boom camp site along the way, before reaching Langkloof Camp Site

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Once again the camp site was positioned at an old farmstead - this one had a working windmill which supplied the water for the camp site.

Well what a welcome we got - the adjoining camp site had 9 people on it (5 adults and 4 children all under the age of 5). It was absolute chaos - these children had bicycles, remote controlled cars (Dads toy), cap guns and every other noisy gadget under the sun. The parents made no attempt to calm the kids down so unfortunately for two of our three days we had to put up with this. As far as I could ascertain the maximum number of people per camp site id meant to be 6! The toilet drains blocked and we ran out of water - clearly because there were too many people using the facility. This was a huge annoyance for us which was a great pity because this is a truly spectacular site. My advice to anyone considering staying here is book both sites!

Anyway we set up camp and stayed as far away from these folk as possible - not always easy when a remote controlled car hurtles towards you doing a wheel spin right at your braai! The scenery at this place is breath-taking. These pics were taken from our camp site

As we reached nightfall things got quieter and we were able to enjoy an amazing evening around our fire enjoying the bright night skies.

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 3

Thanks you all for your comments and interest. It is always pleasing when TR on the less fashionable parks get some interest!

Day 3 saw us hiking up into the top end of the Langkloof, following the Renoster River. We walked along the twee spoor road until it came to a dead end and thereafter we walked along the rocky river bed. This was good exercise and the further we walked the more we felt that we were on a different planet. The scenery was stunning and the quietness consumed us only to be interrupted by an odd raucous baboon watching us from the top of the mountains. We must have walked for about 6km before resting a while before heading back to camp

It was hot and we were quite wary about snakes - did not feel like bumping into a grumpy Puffadder in our path. Needless to say we never had any close encounters. We decided to spend the afternoon chilling at our campsite which was a good idea considering the fact that our neighbours had gone off for the day. We had a number of visitors to our camp - meercats, plenty of birds and even a tortoise.

The evening soon set in and the mountains became a kaleidoscope of colours as the sun set changing from green to golden brown....

to purple.....

The evenings were reasonably fresh but certainly not unpleasant. We sat up late and once the neighbours had drifted off to bed we had the peacefulness all to ourselves again.

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 4

This was our last day in the Tankwa Karoo NP so we decided to do a bit of exploring. We set off early passing this lovely scene near Pyper se Boom

I had read about the breathtaking view from the Elandberg Viewpoint which can only be reached with a 4 x 4 vehicle. We bounced our way up to the Elandberg Chalets which really do look stunning after which we took the 4 x 4 road to the viewpoint. This is most certainly a road that warrants this rating but fortunately our Defender was in her element and took us to the viewpoint at a canter

We never had a sense that we were climbing to any great altitude and whilst wending our way up we wondered what all the fuss about this viewpoint could be. Well what a pleasant surprise we got - the view that un folded in front of us must be one the most spectacular scenes that I have ever witnessed. I don't think that the pictures will do it any justice. Away to the left we could see Biesjesfontein where camped on our first night and in the distance the Cederberg stood tall and proud. We sat here for at least an hour simply marvelling at God's creation - certainly food for the soul. Here are a series of pics taken from the viewpoint

The tiny white spec on the right hand side of this pic is Biesjesfontein Camp Site and the Cederberg in the background.

The perfect spot to have a hot cup of coffee

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Last edited by canon on Sat May 31, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The second adventure of the day was a trip up the well-known Gannaga Pass. This was a lovely drive and once again the view from the top was spectacular

This took a bit longer than expected so we decided to head on up the road to Middlepos where we stopped at an accommodation establishment for lunch. It was amazing to be high up on the plateau and suddenly there was a chill in the air

We enjoyed a tasty lunch on the stoep.......

.....whilst enjoying the view across the plateau. In the distance you will notice a valley - this is Langkloof and we were camping in the bottom of this valley!

The friendly proprietor allowed us to drive along a track which took us the lip that overlooked Langkloof and right at the bottom we could see our campsite. This was quite surreal. To drive back to our camp would take about 90 min and here we could see it right below us!

The Langkloof camp site is situated where the two valleys converge

On the way down the pass we saw a number of these botterboom trees which are indigenous to this region

WE made good time back to camp and were quite pleased to discover that our neighbours had left so we had our last night to ourselves. Our stay at Tankwa had come to an end far too soon and as we sat under the stars listening to our potjie bubbling away we wondered what other secrets these mountains and Tankwa Karoo plains were hiding - we made a pact right there and then that we would be back soon

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 5

We packed up early and set sail on the next leg of our journey to the West Coast section of Namaqua NP. This would be very different to what we had experienced over the last 4 day hence the title of my TR. We thought that this would be a slow meander of about 300km but somehow I got my calculations wrong and the biggest problem was that we never bargained on taking 2 hours to cover the first 50 km out of the park on the northern side - this road is a disgrace and one has to feel for the few farmers that live on this route! We took a lot longer than expected, also having to stop in Calvinia to have some running repair done to our back door catch which had literally been shaken off! On route out of the park we saw eland and very shy Korhaans

The Post Box in Calvinia must be the most photographed one in South Africa - for obvious reason

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

From Calvinia we headed through Niewoudtville, Vanrhynsdorp and then up to Garries. Here we turned west and drove 75km west parallel to the Groen River before reaching the Parks Board office at Groen River Mouth.

The coastal section of the Namaqualand National Park, which stretches about 50km from the Groen River to the Spoeg River is minimalist but gorgeous. In the right season of course there are its well-known sheets of flowers, but even when we went in April there was stuff to see – such as tiny flowers; a Cape fur seal colony; the remarkable molten-looking caves at the Spoeg River mouth, which contain the oldest evidence of domestic sheep in South Africa, dating back an astonishing 2 000 years; the shifting sands that make up the only remaining fully functioning mobile dune system in the country; animals – meerkats, gemsbok, red hartebees, caracals and leopards – and birds. Then there is just the space – hectares and hectares of beach and land and sky and stars and very little else.

Until recently this stretch of the park belonged to De Beers and was off limits to almost everyone. Apart from the odd diamond digging trench that is still visible, the area is pristine.

Check in went smoothly and we set sail for our first three nights at Kwass se Baai. What a change from the dry Tankwa Karoo this was! We crested the hill from reception and were greeted by sweeping views of the Atlantic Ocean. The track headed north parallel to the beach - some sections were deep sand which required low range and good momentum. Unfortunately we had to hurry along because there was only about 1 hour of daylight left and we still had to set up camp at Site No 3 which is definitely the best of the 4 available camping sites at Kwass se Baai. Setting up went smoothly and we were able to sit and watch the sunset over the Atlantic whilst enjoying a nice cold beer

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Last edited by canon on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 6

These coastal camp sites are very rustic having only a wind shelter and an enviro loo available. The wind shelters protect you from the prevailing wind which is a great help. We were in no rush to get out of bed - we simply enjoyed the view over the sea from the comfort of our RTT. This is what our camp looked like

Fortunately we brought a tide table along with us which helped us plan our beach walks. There is a lovely long open beach just to the south of the bay which is ideal for walks at low tide. The sand on the west coast beaches is very white and makes a squeaky sound when walking on it. On our first walk we saw plenty of Cape Gulls

We watched as these gulls gathered huge mussels from the rocks and then dropped them onto the rocks from about 30m. This broke the shells which enabled them to eat the contents - seafood restaurant on their doorstep. The mussels are huge and there is an abundance of them which was so nice to see - very different to the Wild Coast where the rocks have been raped of everything that can be eaten. There were piles and piles of mussel shells along the beach

The Hartlaubs Gulls enjoyed themselves on the water amongst the kelp in Kwass se Baai

There were plenty of Cape Gulls and Ruddy Turnstones to be seen on the beach

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We spent the remainder of the day enjoying the sound of the sea and the view. The view over Kwass se Baai from our camp site was stunning. There is plenty of kelp in the bay which I would imagine harbours plenty of crayfish. Here are more pics of our seaside home and the bay

Once again we were treated to a beautiful sunset

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 7

Another beautiful windless day dawned and by now our heartbeats had slowed down to idling speed. We had a relaxing day, taking another walk along the beach and just relaxing with a good book at our camp site. We had made an enquiry at the office with regard to staying at Kwass instead of moving to Koringkorrelbaai as booked because we really did not feel like packing up. Unfortunately this was not possible so we resigned ourselves to moving in the morning. We had a number of visitors during the day -

Karoo Prinia

and a Yellow Mongoose

This Cape Gull joined us for our evening walk on the beach

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 8

We said farewell to Kwass se Baai with a fair amount of sadness and headed north to Koringkorrelbaai which would be our home for the next three nights. Apparently Kwass se Baai is a good place to be during the flower season in August/September. We only had a couple of kilometres to drive so we really took our time driving on the twee spoor right on the coast

We reached Koringkorrelbaai at about midday and were immediately impressed - our camp site (No 5) was situated virtually on the beach which was stunning. The bay with its beautiful long white beach welcomed us

Here is a bit of trivia about Koringkorrelbaai - it’s where the South African Olympic boxer and Nazi supporter Robey Leibrandt landed in 1941, during World War II, to launch a campaign to overthrow Prime Minister Jan Smuts. He was later captured, sentenced to death, had his sentence commuted to life imprisonment and was released in 1948 by the newly victorious National Government.

Where did the bay get its name - Well, it’s to do with someone who nearly drowned there, was rescued and thumped on the back until he threw up. He’d had mielies for lunch!

I had read that ones chances of seeing Heaveside Dophins in this bay were reasonably good so we arrived here with great anticipation. We set up camp slightly differently this time, deciding to sleep on the sand in our Oztent, mainly because we were going to do a bit of driving and did not feel like opening and closing the RTT too often - REALLY GETTING LAZY!

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Up on the hill behind our camp site we found a lovely 'bench' formed by eroding rock - this was the perfect spot to take a photo

We had a regular visitor to our camp - a Stonechat. We got very attached to this fellow because he got braver each day, eventually sitting on our table on odd occasions

Most camp sites have a few rather creepy inhabitants as well - Koringkorrelbaai was no exception

We also bonded with our resident Grey Heron. He had a routine of sitting in the sun up on the dune before flying down the waters edge at low tide in search of a meal in one of the cornucopia of rock pools. I was fortunate to capture one of its successful forays

Our first day at Koringkorrelbaai came to an end with this magnificent sunset

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Last edited by canon on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 9

What a start we had to the day. We had decided that we would get up early because we wanted to take a slow drive up the coast to the Spoeg River mouth, visit the Spoeg River caves before heading on to Hondeklipbaai to maybe have a nice crayfish lunch. Well the day did not start as planned - SO was first out of the tent to kindly put the kettle on for coffee. She was hardly out the tent when I heard he call "Whats that?". I dashed out and this is what we saw

The Heaveside Dolphins had arrived and we were very excited. They were very close so we grabbed our cups of coffee and walked the 15m down to the beach. What we witnessed was quite amazing and it still gives me goose bumps. There must have been about 8 of them and they entertained us for about half an hour. They jumped out the water and often came right into the shallows in front of where we were sitting on the beach. At one stage I feared that they would beach themselves. I guess we were 5 metres from them. It was surreal! I still believe that they saw us and were enjoying our company.

This pic was taken in the wave right in front of us - you can see the kelp churning up the wave which tells you how close they were

To be honest I cannot describe how special this was - SO and I all alone on a remote beach with these dolphins. I was very tempted to run into the sea to join them. After a while they moved up the beach so we decided to follow them. Whilst walking with the dolphins these Cormorants flew by which seemed to signal to the dolphins that they needed to head out to deeper waters.

We were sad to see them go but were sure that we would see them again! Koringkorrelbaai is really beautiful as is illustrated by these shots taken from the beach

29/12/14 - 05/1/15 MZNP
02-07/4/15 Addo
26/6 - 5/7/15 MZNP

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next