Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next
 Post subject: "Born to be Wild"..37 Days of sights, sounds and smells!!
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
"Got the motor running ...... for whatever comes our way!!"

.....Wheels are s-l-o-w-l-y starting to turn for our long awaited adventure!

Picture the scene…… someone who is in a prison marking off the days on a wall ...////////////////... Well this could just as well have been us!!!
Ours was basically the same, the only difference… ours was on a calendar. :wink:
The markings are now only /////// (7) away!!! "Release" date is in sight!!... then at long last we will be set free from our concrete jungle. :dance:

We are extremely grateful that we will soon be on the road again... to reach our beloved destination to experience all the sights, sounds and smells first hand!!

We were so blessed to be offered the use of BRO and SIL caravan for our upcoming trip. They are also avid "Kruger Parkers", having just returned from a glorious 8 days stay at Satara. :dance:
Staying so close to Kruger has an added advantage for them, as it is a breeze for them to go fairly regularly.
We are always
:mrgreen: when we know they are going to the Park, but at the same time we wait eagerly every evening to hear all their news of their sightings for the day.

Well the future adventure looked liked it would become a reality, so the planning phase was set in motion.

Sure it did not take a huge amount of persuasion from either of us, to start "this" ball rolling. :whistle:
Which month and dates to go, as each season brings it's own beauty, although so different.
We also had to decide which camps we wanted to visit, how long to stay in each camp, where to start in the north or south of the Park.
Which entrance gate should we be entering at, as well as what road to travel once we had collect the caravan in Polokwane to travel to the Park etc. ... even thinking of our TR name came under discussion.

So "eager beavers" that we are, on the 2/7/2013 went into SANParks offices bright and early at Canal Walk and made our booking pronto.
Making sure dates, number of days we would overnight at each camp fitted into our planning phase.
We were extremely delighted when all went according to our plan.

We will be leaving Cape Town very early morning of 30th April, sleeping over on route to BRO and SIL to collect the caravan for our magical adventure.

After doing all the necessary last minute shopping of perishable goods in Polokwane.
We will hit the road early morning 3rd May, travel along the R81 and will be entering the Park at Punda entrance gate.

This will be the first time we will be Image in the Park and will proudly be flying our Image , so this is really a very exciting time for us.
Have received lots of tips from BRO as well as from reading all the valuable information as shared by mites on the Forum, as well as ...
Here... on camping... so looks like we are all set for the adventure.
Sure there will be lots of stories to share about our 1st camping expedition in the Park!
Hope our prior experience of caravanning outside of the Park will also help.
:wink:

We will be starting in the north working our way down to the south and back up again..reason being to return the caravan!!
BRO said "Good idea, nice to know you guys will at least be returning the caravan sometime!!"
:tongue: :lol:

Most of the main items are packed..check! Cameras, Binoculars, Wild Card, Confirmation Letter and Credit Card oh yes Driver and Co-Driver...so seems all the main items are accounted for. :whistle:

This adventure will take a daily overview of sightings and places visited, notepad and pen at the ready to jot down all interesting things for the day.
Narration and photos will be a shared effort from both of us.
Talking about the photos...Well the photos will be taken with a "mik 'n druk" no "Bazooka" lenses this end!!
Videos however are a firm favourite with us, just to experience the sounds and enjoy the movement of the images makes them extra special for us. Almost makes you feel as if you are right back there, when viewing them again at home!!..Only one thing missing the Kruger smells...would it not be wonderful if you could bottle it. :hmz: :whistle:

No specific wish list ..as everything will be a bonus and ever so enjoyable to experience once again.

All the wonderful different Trip Reports of this Great Forum, kept us going during this period and gave us so much enjoyment to view and comment on.
Extra Big thank you to all the mites. :great: ...All of you helped, by making our long wait so much more bearable. :D

The last couple of days will mainly be spent checking items to take, having the car checked over etc.
This TR will be in.. "to be continued".. mode, until we return from our heavenly stay in paradise mid June...then hopefully we will be able to reveal all to you...see you soon with the update of our adventure!!

First camping home in the Park will be at..!!

Philip & Trrp

Post subject: Re: "Born to be Wild"..37 Days of sights, sounds and smells!
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:17 am 

Really looking forward to reading all about your trip as soon as you are back !! Safe travels and towing, and no, I'm not :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :popcorn: :popcorn: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am wishing you a wonderful, wonderful trip. Remember the yellow ribbon is a friendship magnet. I am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but also excited for you. You guys have had your moments last year. :gflower:

Remember your toothbrush, you don't want to start another ''trend''. :wink:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Trrp and Philip, soooooooo exciting, your time to leave is just around the corner now :dance: :dance:

Will be following this TR, can't wait :dance:

I'm sure your caravaning trip will be a lovely new experience, enjoy :gflower:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

As MM says, please don't start a no toothbrush trend :roll: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
5 weeks??? FIVE WEEKS??!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm not jealous ...... completely nonchalant about it .... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You guys have a fantastic time, Trrrpie!! If you're somewhere in the Skuks region between the 21st and 25th of May maybe we'll bump into each other. I'll be one of the uniformed HR's who'll have taken Skuks over for that period :)

Drive safe now, and don't forget to keep us posted :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:

On board the bus and waiting with anticipation :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote:
We are extremely grateful that we will soon be on the road again... to reach our beloved destination to experience all the sights, sounds and smells first hand!!

I am too Trrp-trrrrrrrr :) even if I have to experience the sights, sounds and smells second hand for now :roll: :wink:
Your planned trip sounds great :thumbs_up: Travel safely and wishing you a fantastic time in Kruger with plenty of special sightings!!

Enjoy! :popcorn:

I must admit I am a little :mrgreen: too Porridge :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:clap: :clap: :clap: Trrrp and Philip great start to your Travel Tale :D I wish you safe travels and the best of time in Kruger :thumbs_up: and yes of course many 8) :cam: :cam: :cam:.

Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wishing you a fantastic trip, with lots of interesting sightings, both big and small, and a lovely relaxing holiday away from the concrete jungle in your little home on wheels.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
I am looking forward to your TR Trrp and Philip :k

Hope you have a wonderful time! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 am 

37 days!!! :shock: Thats going to be one heck of a TR :popcorn:

We will also be there end of May so you never know... :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow - have a wonderful time with many great sightings.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am so excited for this exciting TR!!!! Hopefully we will meet along the way in the park. Happy counting down. not long to go now :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wow Trrp-trrrrrrrr and Philip1! You are almost in the Park! :dance: :dance:

Travel safe, and have a wonderful time camping for the first time in Kruger! I wish you thousands of special and wonderful sightings! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Think I better join in here quickly before the caravan goes without me, I am pretty handy to have around a camp site :thumbs_up: (have you packed quite a long extension cord?, it will come in useful particularly in the northern camps :thumbs_up: )
You might end up buying your own caravan after this. :D :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
:yaya: Trrrp and Philip;

Wow, 5 weeks :dance: :dance: :dance: I am definitely :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and jumping on board while there is still room.

Wishing you a safe journey and fabulous sightings. Looking forward to the report.

BTW, love the song too :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next