Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mama Fariu Some amazing sightings from Kruger Dec 2011
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 pm 

Cheetah drinking and running

Hyena

Side Striped Jackal

Banded Mongoose

Leopard on a rock

Cheetah

Lichtenstein Hartebees

Rhino

Leopard stalking

Cheetah

Bird

Last edited by Mama fariu on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Some amazing sightings from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:28 pm 

ImageA Caracal we were lucky to get a picture of

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:47 pm 

Dear fellow forumites, I have so much footage and pics but have not been able to put it all on as I rely on my son to do it :cry: :cry: :cry: . We saw plenty and had a wonderful trip!! Letaba was vrot with elephant and buffalo, and I must say we saw some very nice tuskers.

Satara was vrot with Lions and Hyena. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Cheetah you and Pumbaa wanted to know where we saw the animals in the videos. The Caracal was on the H1-4, it was very windy and cold and it was lying in a dip. In fact it was so cold we drove around with heater for three days. The Cheetah videos were all taken around the Pretoriouskop region, on the S3 and the H1-1 and Transport Dam. The Lichtenstein Hartebeest were on the Voortrekker Road.

We always have an animal of the each time we visit, this time it was Hyena we saw so many of them!!!
Hope everyone enjoys the videos Regards Mama Faru

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:52 pm 

Can anyone help me. The Cheetah drinking and running was in such a panic, and making peculiar noises does anyone know why? We thought that maybe it had lost its mate or brother or sister :hmz: :hmz: .

Any comments would be much appreciated. Mama Faru

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:02 pm 

The Cheetah sounded to me like it was definitely calling and looking for a sibling or mate.
Great footage and I am impressed the way you kept up and still got got pics. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi mama, I watched the video of the cheetah a few times, and it seems strange. I think the cheetah got into a new terotary and it might have had a fight with a rival cheetah who might have killed his sibling, am not a cheetah expert and I dont actually know much about cheetahs but because it marked the tree. I am only saying that because I know Lions walk on the boundary of their terotary and mark trees, and also ROAR, but this cheetah looked as if it was scared about something. I just thought I'd share some information I know otherwise I have no idea what it could be that was worrying the cheetah.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:54 am 

Thanks very much for replying to the question. Now I must tell you all about the red breasted cuckoo and the Cheetah at the rock. In January we saw the Cuckoo on the exact same branch, and we called the corner where we saw the Cheetah in January Cheetah corner. This trip we went towards Cheetah corner and my hubby Peter said I wonder if the Cheetah is here, Lo and behold there it was, unbelievable!!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Once again thanx everyone :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Mama Faru. I am so happy that some people have looked at my videos!!!!

Please, please could someone be kind and tell me a simple way to download my pics to the forum. I have such wonderful pics and wanted to share with everyone :redface: . My son has gone to Thailand so he cant help.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mama Fairu

If your cheetah was the one on the H1-1 and it was around the 5th Nov, it is the same one which we saw and I have a video of as well. I believe that it was looking for its mate. I didn't hear of a cheetah getting killed in that region at the time, so possibly it was trying to attract a female into the area.
This area also had a beautiful male leopard and I am in the middle of posting a TR report which included the interaction between these 2, so could also be the reason for the panic with this cheetah.

I too battled with uploading photos and was given this advice by DinkyBird:
Upload photos in Picasa, do some basic editing (cropping, shadows, highlighting etc) and then export to a different folder (you can resize at the same time to 640). Then I go to Photobucket and do a bulk upload of these photos into a file on PB and then once I have started my TR, I copy the image URL for each one into its selected place in the report. Picasa and PB are free applications, there are probably better ones, but then you have to pay for them.

It may not be the most efficient way of doing it, or even the easiest way, but after nearly pulling my hair out trying other ways, it works for me at the moment.

Good luck

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:09 pm 

On this trip whilst we were staying at Satara, it was close to gate closing time and we were just taking a slow drive back to camp. Suddenly from quite far away I said to my hubby Pete there is something in the road.

As we drew closer we realized that this was not a new species but a Homo Sapien, :shock: walking in the opposite direction from Satara. Cars were just going past her, I don't know if they thought she was a ranger or what. Anyway we decided to stop and ask her where she was going. (As I have a very enquiring mind Did Journalism at Rhodes.)

This poor woman was in such a state crying and not really able to speak :cry: :cry: . It turns out she had an argument with one of the staff and wanted to leave Kruger forthwith.

We explained to her that she can't just walk around in the middle of the bush as it is highly dangerous and persuaded her to get into the car, which she duly did.

We dropped her off at the laundry, and then reported the incident at reception, they thanked us for bringing her back, and said that people had reported it but had done nothing. We saw the staff in a bakkie obviously coming to fetch her and tried to stop them, but they were intent on finding her!!! They also thanked us when they saw us later. Two days later we saw her waiting at the gate for transport and wished her God speed.

What Wacktazz says about not being paradise to LIVE in certainly seems true for this poor lady!! Mama Faru

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]