Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: normana53-Kruger keeps calling-Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
The clock keeps ticking down. It seems like just a short while ago we were at Lower Sabie. But it was almost a year ago. Wow! We started planning our return before we left Kruger last September, and now that time is drawing near. Tickets are purchased, reservations secured, Rental vehicle reserved, and now we wait; tick, tick tick.........

30 days and counting until we begin our journey back to paradise.

Post subject: Re: Kruger keeps calling - a journey back to paradise
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks for your support and kind words in this difficult time - :lol:
The wait truly wears one out, though the past three months have sailed by. I am hoping that the next 29 days do too. I have started keeping a mental note of the location of many of the items that we bring with us, so as to not forget, or go madly rummaging at the last minute.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Rookie 2009,
Looks like we'll be staying at Biyamiti and Berg en Dal at the same times, hope to meet you. We'll be waving our yellow ribbon from our vehicle, so if you see us, be sure to say hello!

Sparrow, Gunner, PetraJ, Bush Brat and Kamadejo - thanks for the words of encouragement, they are appreciated.

Leanawel - it doesn't seem that long ago when we had almost 300 days - I hope that the time flies for you.

BB - As always, I thank you for your council and kind words. With all of the encouragement and well wishes of friends like you our trip will no doubt be spectacular.

Last edited by normana53 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
One more day has passed, and I am starting to get a little anxious. I have to really fight the urge to get the suitcases out. :wall: I really need to wait for at least 2 more weeks before I give in to the madness. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Chappie, Can't wait to meet you both at Croc Bridge.
Rookie 2009 - not sure what vehicle we will have, guess we'll find out when we get to the airport to pick it up - some kind of SUV. We will be sure to stop and to introduce ourselves at Biyamiti.
The SO just went to the travel clinic to get set up for antimalarial medication. I will be using the leftovers from last year that she couldn't tolerate. She was due for boosters on some other immunizations, so she felt somewhat like a pin cushion when she left the appointment.

I will be trying to pare down my checked bag so that it isn't so heavy this year. What with tripods, books and miscellaneous items, it is very heavy. We'll see if I am able to lighten the load. My carry on ends up being a very few personal items (toothpaste and brush, daily medications, and the like) and my camera gear. Nikon DSLR, 500mm lens, 85mm macro lens, 17-55mm wide-angle zoom, 35mm fixed lens, two window mounts for camera. Panasonic Digicam movie camera, flash, laptop computer for photo download, and a couple of other items.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Oh No! still 25 more days, and I am already losing sleep. My brain is trying to build my packing list over and over. Mustn't forget anything. Passport? Field guides? Clothes? Shoes? Am I going to survive the next three weeks until time to go? I sure hope so! Got up in the middle of the night to verify my flight information (for the hundredth time), this may be a long 25 days! I don't remember this last year, or the year before.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
CB and Sparrow, only 21 days left, thanks for the encouragement. I can getting very anxious.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I came home from work this evening and found that our bedroom had been ransacked!
Burglars?
A band of Vervets?
No, it was the result of Torticat digging through drawers trying to find items on her packing list. When I called out for her to call the police to report the break-in she was not overly amused. :lol:
In less than nineteen days, we will be on our way, and over a third of the way to Jo'berg.
I am checking my list, and stashing things away. Now I have to make room in my carry-on for a couple of extra lenses that my sister has offered. A Nikon f2.8 105mm Macro, and a nice 17 to 24mm f2 Wide angle lens. I will leave my 85mm Macro at home and try hers out for fun. I hope I can lift my carry-on bag :pray:

Last edited by normana53 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Just got back from one of the local Sporting Goods stores, who are having a big sale. I purchased 6 Leatherman tools, which we like to bring with us, and give out to Rangers who do a great job on game drives, and who protect the wildlife in Kruger. I have pulled out the BIG travel bag, and have started arranging it's contents. We have to be within strict weight limits, or pay enormous surcharges, so it is best to start early and weigh often! I have also learned that wearing a vest or coat with lots of pockets is a benefit, as they don't weigh those, and you can load up the pockets with items that weigh a lot - like all of our field guides.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Normana53, what a lovely gift for the Rangers! :clap: :clap: I never have to weigh my luggage, as I don't take much with me and the important things like camera, lenses and books are in my backbag. :wink: I see your excitement it getting bigger every day now. :thumbs_up:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Normana, what a lovely gesture with the leathermans. They really are rather pricey to buy here. Considering the renumeration rangers get, I am sure that you are going to leave some very happy people.

I am really looking forward to meeting you and your wife next month. Until then, have a great time :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
MM, Last year I brought a leatherman and a folding blade knife with me, and gave them to two anti-poaching rangers that we met while in the Wildlife Rehabilitation course we took before going to Kruger, these guys were from Zambia and worked in the South Luangwa National Park. Their eyes really lit up when I gave them their gifts. When I saw how hard rangers work, and found out how little they are compensated, I figured that giving Leatherman tools was the least I could do. I also have made a down payment of sorts over the last 3 months of $220 US dollars (around 1600R) on the rare sightings challenge thread to Sanparks for Anti-poaching efforts at KNP. We are looking forward to meeting you too!

Fenwickh - I learned about using the vest a couple of years ago, since it has lots of large pockets, I stuff all kinds of things in it, helping to ensure my bags are within weight limits. Of course I do look rather silly walking through the airport in Seattle wearing the bulging vest! Some may say I look silly even without the vest!

Two weeks left :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
"Time keeps on slipping into the future". It's just not slipping quite quickly enough. One Week to go before we leave. My bags are close to completion, and Torticat is continuing her search for just the right things. It is getting more difficult to be enthused about work, as the siren song of the bush keeps getting louder and blocking out everything else. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We just have odds and ends to round up and toss in our bags. I have checked both my carry-on bag and checked bag, then re-checked, and checked them once more. I hope I don't wear them out. :lol: After two nights of getting very little sleep, I finally got a good rest last night. I get this way each time we come to South Africa. Makes me feel kind of like a child going to Disneyland. The excitement level is almost overwhelming. :dance: We are coming back to KRUGER, and we leave in 3 days! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
24 hours and counting.

I work a half day today, then home for last minute preparations. Torticat worked almost all night, so that she could stay at home today. A relief Veterinarian has been arranged and will keep the clinic running while she is gone. We are so excited, and are looking forward to meeting MM, Chappie and Rookie2009 during our stay in Kruger. We hope to see and meet other forum members as we travel the many roads in the southern part of the park over the next two weeks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next