Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 8
 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Say what??!! Fissure tent, lava, tephra, cryptodomes & gases
Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

After the raging hippo, there was very little to see… We were not familiar with the thickets of the Mopani bush. Our scanners had to adjust quickly.

In the back seat it was silent, except when they faught over the roosterkoek morsels. :twisted: :twisted: But the silence was not a good one. :wall:

And then we were in Letaba. A first for me and the LO and OLO. Everything was still closed, the museum too. :(

But what is a visit to Letaba without a few pics of the magnificently renovated elephant statue? Hats off to the honorary rangers who were responsible for restoring its former glory.

And this Woodstock Bushhorse.

As I’ve never been to the Engelhardt Dam, I begged the Oom to take the 10 km detour. But he was not in the mood. :evil: He had a SSMT and a TMT to pitch in Tsendze. I insisted. :evil: He used the white elephant as an excuse. :evil: However, I insisted. :evil: :twisted:

Back in Letaba, the museum was open to visitors. :dance: :dance: It was an amazing experience for us all. :clap: :clap: It was great to see and read about all the wonders of elephant-dom. There tusks had us in awe. :shock: :big_eyes: :dance: :clap: :clap: We were outraged to read that many of the elephant giants were killed by poachers’ bullets. :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: It was sad to know that this was done by so called ‘humans’. :evil: :evil:

*** Not for sensitive viewers. (No, not the pics where I was streaking from the ablutions in Balule. :naughty: :redface: ) There was also this CSI record. A crime committed by an elephant against another elephant.

But this bloke was just too happy about the CSI-exhibit. It was his home...

And then we headed North again. Tsendze was waiting. And the SSMT and TMT. :slap: :huh: :wall:

Last edited by Elzet on Sun May 08, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: Yep, Micetta, that's LO under foot. :lol: :lol:

And guess where I am?

:twisted: :tongue:

Thanks for making the Forum faster. It seems I must always first complain before something is done right. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :tongue: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Another thank you to all who have popped by since. :clap: :clap: Even with the slooow connection and what not.

Flutterby, no need to apologise so profusely. I am used to it, like I said. :lol: :twisted: :roll: By now I know why. Michel has elucidated below. :twisted: :tongue:

Bosbaba30 :lol: :lol: :lol: , that hippo needed her morning coffee and a lot of prozac. Lots of it. :lol: :wink: It surely was great meeting you, Bosmama and Bosbaba 75! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Albeit briefly. I must have been very sleepy (on the road and when I did the TR), as I was about to mention it in the next installment, but one day too late. Oi. :redface: :redface:

Boskuns :( , black and orange walkie-talkies? White and silver is the one and the same thing. White which is shiny. :tongue: Mrs Bees can't get the book, you are right, it has reached platinum status and it is all sold out. :tongue: :twisted: The ones that I autographed went first. :lol: :tongue: Fine by me, you can share the Oom's medal. Then you are both lance corporals in your respective households. I like it when men demote themselves. See page 1035 in my book, second paragraph, under the heading 'Females don't need to demote men. They are quite capable of doing so themselves'. :twisted: :tongue: :tongue:

Songodin,

-----

The recipe is as follows:

(It appeared in Weg magazine, February 2011):

Mix all the dry ingredients, except for the packet of yeast, and take along to your destination in a sealed container:

Makes 15 - 20 koeke

* 5 cups cake flour
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 wedding ring
* 1 packet of 10g yeast
* 1 spoon oil or a bit more
* Luke warm water.

Method

Mix the dry ingredients, add oil and water until you have a 'manageable' dough.
Knead the dough in a bowl laced with sprayncook.
Remove wedding ring.
Cover with a clean kitchen towel (I covered mine with a paper towel and it worked just as well). Leave in a warm place for 15 minutes until it has doubled in size.
Knead the dough down and roll into little balls. Flatten the balls with your hand a bit and sprinkle a bit of cake flour over each koek.
Leave standing until double volume again - for approximately 20 minutes.
Grill on moderate coals until golden brown.

-----

I saw the moving statue! :dance: :dance: But by the time I called the Oom and twins, it has disappeared again. :roll:

The shaving cream. Oops, forgot to wash my face that morn'. :lol: :tongue:

Bosmama, once I looked at them in that tone of voice :twisted: 8) , they were like little lambs. :wink: (Well, for an hour or so). :roll: :( But thanks for offering the assistance of the two Bosbabas. Perhaps next time? :wink: It was indeed a great pleasure meeting you, and I so hoped that we would. :dance: :dance: :dance: Space for four? Hardly, even with the new TMT. :twisted:

LQ, I told the Oom I wanted more privacy when we go camping again. :tongue: So he got them the TMT and my boudoir I was set up in the SSMT(Without)AS. :twisted: :tongue:

Hiya Oupa Michel, not a display of self-knowledge, a display of common knowledge. :tongue: :lol: :twisted: Yeah, now I know now too. Caught him on that thread this morning. :lol: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta and Bosbaba :clap: :clap: :funny: :funny: :funny: Pumbaa :clap: :clap:, the wedding ring is an optional extra. :lol: :lol: :thumbs_up:

-----

It was time to head towards Mopani, as we had to ‘check in’ there before we could ‘check back in' at Tsendze. :whistle:

En route we saw

A favourite bird of mine, as the Oom gave me this nickname years ago.

A few of the thirsty buffs that we came across along the way. They were so thirsty because it was so warm. In fact, boiling hot.

And then we were at Mopani. The Oom ‘checked us in’, aka told them that we were camping at Tsendze. And then back to the Tsendze turn-off. We were surprised to see that this rustic camp was actually close to the main road. And what a lovely camp it was. :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Unlike any other camp we have been to. :clap: :clap: In a way, a mixture between Tamboti and Maroela. But more Tamboti. With thick vegetation all around.

The campers in our spot was just about to leave. For a few nights in Mopani in a guest house. I begged them to take me with, but for some reason or another they lacked hospitality. :tongue: :lol:

Theuns: Dear Sweet Beloved of mine, you don’t have to do anything, I shall struggle and battle on my own to erect these tents.

LZ (C): Surely you never thought I’ll help you, right?

LZ: Surely you never thought I’ll help you, right?

Theuns: No, like I’ve said, no need to. I'll manage on my own.

LZ: In other words same procedure as previously? I.e. I idle around, give instructions, and you do all the work?

Theuns: Yebo yes, Sweetness, same procedure. These two magnificent tents of ours will soon be erected, and then you can have a nap. And the lil' ones can help me if and when needed.

LZ (C) A nap??!! In a tent with a fissure? Say what??!!

LZ: Ok then, the car is still a bit cool. I'll sit here and give instructions until you are done. :whistle: :twisted:

So I enjoyed a few cold drinks, waiting for the Oom to finish the job to my approval. It took him an hour in very hot conditions to set up camp, store the baggage, pump up the mattresses, etc. Sweat was streaming down his face once the mattresses were inflated. :twisted: :twisted:

And this was the end result:

A closer view of the TMT, also known as a 'cryptic-dome', aka a blooming small tent. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

By now my blood pressure was sky high, I was hot, sweaty and worst, completely exhausted from giving a plethora of instructions to the Oom. Exhausted, I tell you. :? So I headed off to the ablutions (first send the LO and OLO on a recce to find the shortest route for moi!). :twisted: :whistle:

And then the battle of the gases began. :naughty: :naughty: :redface: :redface: Not those gases! :rtm: :naughty: :naughty: The gas showers. Boiling, freezing, boiling, freezing. I played a game in the shower. I could hear the gas flame pop, I knew it was going to be boiling water pouring down on me, then I could hear the flame no longer, and I knew it was going to be freezing water pouring down on me. I played this game for at least ten minutes. :roll: :| I was also getting my daily exercise. Hopping in and out of the shower when the temperature 'was just right', which never lasted more than two seconds at a time. :wall: A cool, refreshing, yet not freezing temperature was not on the cards for me. :huh:

An hour later, back at the camp site, the children informed me that the Oom tried to lie down a bit. First in the big tent, then in the small tent. But he gave it up for a bad job. It was just too boiling hot. :twisted: :|

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

LS :clap: :clap: , the Oom had to unpack the pepper mill too... :P Thank you for complimenting our mik'ndruk photos. :redface: :redface: One day when I am big and grown up and married to my second husband :twisted: :tongue: I'll probably get the real McCoy telescopic camera-tic gear. :lol: :twisted:

Now keep up here. :wink: There is one more recipe to follow that made me a very happy gal... uhm, queen. :wink: :twisted:

-----

I instructed the Oom to get in the car and put the aircon on high. :twisted: I thought I was going to die. The heat was unbearable. The children insisted on swimming (first time in three hours they saw eye-to-eye). :doh: :slap: I was still dead tired. :roll: :?

The LO and OLO insisted that they wanted to sleep in the cryptic-dome. (Wow, they were actually getting along again, or so I thought :slap: ). But I knew better. :twisted: I knew that the Oom would end up in the cryptic-dome as soon as the sun would set. Somehow, I just knew it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :whistle: :whistle:

So off we went to Mopani for a swim.

There was a guide on duty, ensuring that all were at their best behaviour and not drinking in a public place. Hats off to Sanparks. :clap: :clap:

When I got into the water, it actually fizzled, like putting a hot pan in a cold water basin. I was that hot. :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bosbaba, 29 three year olds?! Image Golly, Mrs Molly! Say whaaaattt??!! (I, on the other hand, have to deal with a thousand 18 to 25 year olds who want to sleep in class). :lol: :roll:

-----

Thought I should rather post the actual photos of our camping site, else the Oom might get upset with me. :tongue: :twisted: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh wow Elzet, that shot of our camp looks good and my heart is longing to be there right now! :pray:

That evening round about 18:00 I went to fetch some water for our camp. After my return I got one of my special fires going...a huge bonfire with me enjoying a cold one around it looking like a pyromaniac! :twisted: :twisted:

After an hour or so I realised that something is missing! :shock:

TH (C): I wonder where LZ is? :hmz:

TH: LO, where is the love of my life?

LO: Who Daddy? 8)

TH (C): The little one is full of jokes pretending not knowing who the love of my life is! :lol:

TH: Your Mommy of course! :naughty: :rtm:

LO: Daddy she is in the seven man tent, she said she is going to bed! 8)

TH (C): Shirts, I haven’t noticed her absence! :slap: :slap: :redface:

TH: MY LOVE WHERE ARE YOU!? :o

LO: Shhhhtt Dad, you are making a noise! :naughty:

LZ: I’M IN BED AND I WANT TO GO HOME TOMORROW AT FIRST LIGHT :( :evil:

TH: Say What!? :o :o

LZ: I want to go home tomorrow! :( :(

TH (C): She is going to have a long walk to Pretoria...550 km's! :twisted:

TH: You are home my love...Tsendze is our home for the next few days! :dance: :dance:

LZ: No, I want to go HOME! :(

TH (C): PHEW, this fissure condition of her is killing me and troubling my bush experience...I better watch out for a tephra! :tongue:

TH: LO and OLO, do you want to go home tomorrow? 8)

LO and OLO in one voice: NO, WE LIKE CAMPING!! :dance:

LO whispering: Daddy, you must make a plan here...Mom wants to go home! :pray:

TH: We have voted and it's three against one...we are staying! :twisted:

LZ: SAY WHAT!? :evil:

TH: My love, I will ask at Mopani tomorrow if they have a bus service to Pretoria! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: ................

Happy Birthday Elzet!!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oom, that was quite an enjoyable attempt from your side :lol: :lol: , but hey, now you have ruined the sequence. :naughty: :lol: I haven’t posted the photos from our drive after the swimming pool as yet? :huh:

But first let me correct you before I get back to the sequence of events. :rtm:

That evening as we got back to camp, the Oom realised that his single air mattress has again deflated. :twisted: :twisted: I wish you could have shared the shocked expression on his pale face. :twisted: :twisted: So he quickly went about to fix the air mattress, manually inflating it again. It was still very hot. :twisted: :twisted:

Once done, he fetched water for our camp from a nearby tap. Upon his return he got one of his special fires going... a huge bonfire with tephra coming at me from all directions. :evil: (Hey, I can’t help it, I’m beautiful). :redface: :lol: :tongue: The Oom was enjoying a cold one. He looked like a pyromaniac! :twisted: Actually, he looked like a campermaniac. :? He was on cloud nine. :? I was on tephra nine. :evil:

The LO and OLO were at it again. Tug-of-war. :evil: :wall:

I looked around and decided that I have had enough. I went to bed on an empty stomach. :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ (C): That’s it, I’ve had enough. :evil:

LZ: That’s it, I’ve had enough. :evil:

TH: Say what??!! :shock: :big_eyes:

LO: Say what??!! :shock: :big_eyes:

LO to OLO: My Mom is really upset now. :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ (C): My dear LO, that’s quite an understatement. :evil:

TH: What are you doing? :shock: :big_eyes:

LO: Mom, what are you doing? :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ (C): Sitting in front of the aircon, blowdrying my hair, watching the Beauty Channel on 183, why? :evil: :whistle:

TH: My Sweet Queen, please don’t go to bed, come and join us outside. :(

LO: Mom, are you really going to bed now? :(

LZ: I’M IN BED AND WE ARE GOING HOME TOMORROW AT FIRST LIGHT! :evil:

TH: Say What!!?? :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ: I want to go home tomorrow! :evil:

TH: You are home, my love... Tsendze is our home for the next few days! :? :(

LZ (C): I don’t like the Oom when he is hard of hearing. :evil:

LZ: NO! I want to go HOME! :evil:

TH: LO and OLO, do you want to go home tomorrow? :?

LO and OLO in one voice: NO, WE LIKE CAMPING!! :dance: :dance:

LO whispering: Daddy, you must make a plan here... Mom wants to go home! :shock: :big_eyes:

TH: Wow! Look at that humongous spider. :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ (C): Say what??!! :shock: :big_eyes:

OLO: Let’s kill it. :twisted: :?

LZ (C): Yeah, let’s kill it. :twisted: :?

TH: No :naughty: , in our household we don’t kill spiders.

LO: Yes, in our household, we don't kill spiders. :naughty:

TH: My Queen, come and have a look at this monster of a spider. :) :doh:

LZ (C): Say what??!! :shock: :big_eyes: Leave the comfort of my double air mattress to join you three campermaniacs outside to look at a monstrous spider?? :doh: :slap:

TH: Dearest Beloved, did you hear? :huh: There is a monster of a spider here around the fire. You must see how it runs! :shock: :big_eyes:

LO: Daddy, I’m sleeping with Mommy in the tent tonight. :shock: :big_eyes:

OLO: Uncle Theuns, I’m sleeping with LO and Aunty Elzet in the tent tonight. :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ (C): Say what??!! :shock: :big_eyes: Oh, beautiful sleep, please overpower me now… :wall: :wall:

TH: Huh? :shock: :big_eyes: I thought you two are going to sleep in the brand new TMT? :shock: :big_eyes:

LZ (C): Say what??!! :shock: :big_eyes: Oh, beautiful sleep, please overpower me now… :| :(

Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep. ~Fran Lebowitz

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Consciousness: that annoying time between naps when one is camping. ~Author Unknown :lol: :tongue:

The LO and OLO were making quite some noise when they hit the sack a few hours later. :slap:

LO: Whatever you do, don't wake my Mom up, OLO. :shock: :big_eyes:

OLO: But I'm not doing anything? :shock: :big_eyes: :evil:

LO: I'm just telling you, whatever you do, don't make a noise. :shock: :big_eyes:

OLO: Ok, I won't. :? :roll:

I could hear the Oom mumble in the jungle about the TMT being too small for him. :twisted: :twisted: His feet was sticking out at the bottom of the TMT. :twisted: :twisted: His head was right up against the canvass. :twisted: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

On a serious note:

I forgot to mention that during our stay at Balule I remembered and in my own way commemorated our 'mites who have made plans and were excited to be there (apart from PJ who fortunately walked away relatively unscathed from her accident en route) - TerryC and Walloceros - but figuratively speaking have moved on to greener pastures. :( RIP. I thought of Braai Guy too. :(

I shall try to pay tribute to them and all 'mites who have enriched my life over the years at conclusion of this TR.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

... Back to our afternoon drive which the Oom has so rudely interrupted. :tongue: i.e. the time period from leaving camp, cooling off in the swimming pool and before my ultimatum that evening…

The temperature was still sky high. :wall: :wall: :slap: :slap:

As we left Tsendze, this Bateleur was sitting in the big tree that marks the entrance to the camp. (He was there as we left the next morning too).

It seemed as if the heat got to all the animals along the way. This big bloke was taking a nap against a tree, laying his weary head down. I so knew where he was coming from...

After our interlude with the swimming pool, we visited Mooiplaas drinking hole with a couple of thirsty elephants around. What a beautiful place between nowhere and somewhere.

These zebras were taking a sand bath. I did not like the fact that they were making fun of me. :tongue:

Just outside Tsendze we saw another herd of massive male elephants. This one must be a (lefthanded) tusker.

Fortunately a huge herd of buffaloes prevented us from returning to camp too soon. I was able to spend a few more minutes embracing the aircon in the car.

-----

The next morning when I woke up, I was a woman with a plan. :twisted: :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I wonder if the ellie with the long/big tusks is a known tusker :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It could be an upcoming tusker named KALEKA!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The next morning when I woke up at 04:30, I was a woman with a plan. :twisted:

And swollen feet and ankles. :shock: :big_eyes: I was lying in the SMT, waiting for the Oom to wake up in the TMT. I decided to make it up to the LO and stroked her arm for a while. (Only when I switched on the lamp did I realise that I was actually stroking the OLO's arm. :shock: :roll: ). The LO probably thought it wise to arrange a 'barrier' between me and her. :whistle: :whistle: :twisted:

I have had a relatively hot night in the fissure tent. Fortunately, the temperature cooled down at 04:00. :tongue: But it was clear that it was going to be a hot day.

Soon after that I could hear the Oom mumble and groan as he tried to wriggle himself from the TMT. I insisted on my morning coffee. :twisted: Two cups, to be exact. :twisted:

The Oom and I enjoyed the darkness, and the wonder of a new dawn breaking. He did not mention a word about my request to go home. Neither did I. :whistle:

Soon after the lil' rascals were ready to face a new day. :twisted: They were at their best behaviour. I wonder why? :twisted: :whistle: :tongue:

----

Leelee and SO, thanks for a great get together last night :thumbs_up: , as well as the piece of art which will be treasured. :clap: :clap:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next