Batty Blonde goes camping

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks

Moderator: hilda

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Batty Blonde goes camping

Unread postby Nkulu » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Well when Mellory and Ernest came to fetch me for the Bush Baptist meet, and I managed to mis-direct them to my home :redface: (oops) the first comment from Ernest was “she’s a blonde, that explains it”
Then when I informed my children that I intended camping at Tsendze on my own I was asked if I was batty? I am apparently supposed to be too old to be adventurous .......... says who :hmz:
So tent came out of ten year storage (still in excellent condition) Gazebo for the heat, and ladies spade to dig trenches if it rained, and everything was packed in crates (waterproof) See I can be organised when required. And a great big thanks to EJ :gflower: with regard to nails and washers instead of those tent pegs which I never could get into the ground ten years ago.
Set off at 3am for Phalaborwa gate and only got slightly lost once, when I rode into Polokwane (Pietersburg) and realised I had missed the turn off. :redface: I blame it on the bad signage – that’s my story and I am sticking to it.
Managed to get to Tsendze stand 5 on Rodger’s day off, so I set up camp all on my own in 35 degree heat.

Image181 by Nkulu 1, on Flickr

Image055 by Nkulu 1, on Flickr
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Croc Bridge 11 June 2015
Tamboti 12 June 2015
Shingwedzi 13 & 14 & 15 June 2015
Letaba 16 June 2015

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Batty Blonde goes camping

Unread postby billyf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:36 am

Well done "Batty Blonde" :D , and your setup looks very professional. :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to your TR :popcorn: :popcorn: :thumbs_up:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 am

I knew "Batty Blonde".... would get the camp set up perfectly !! :dance:

Grabbed one of the window seats...ready for all the action. 8) :popcorn:
“Nature is a volume of which God is the author.”~ William Harvey
"Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you."~ Native American (Huron) Proverb

PNF
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PNF » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:58 am

Even though you took a detour through Polokwane....you still made it! Must admit that turn-off IS badly signposted so you were not being blonde..... :)

Nice set up - tent looks suspiciously very similar to our spare tent........special offer at a very well known chain beginning with M about 10 years ago????? :twisted: It's nice and spacious and perfect for one (.....or two!)

This looks like a great TR in the making - we've grabbed a couple of seats on this bus and are waiting......

:popcorn: :popcorn:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Mokala (Motswedi Camp) 13 - 17 May
Karoo National 17 - 24 May
Addo 24 - 28 May
Then home - maybe!

norms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby norms » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:06 am

Batty Blonde - I am seriously impressed with you camping set up. Well done - :thumbs_up:

Please give a detailed step by step guide as to how you erected the dome tent by yourself - I need to know.

Lo0kking forward to reading more.

:popcorn: :cam:
If you want something you never had, do something you have never done.

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:50 am

Nkulu, very interesting TR this is going to be and would love one of the front window seats. :thumbs_up:
Your tent set-up looks really cozy and seems you have everything under control. :clap:

The Tsendze and Mopani area one of my favourites. :dance:
Now active - TMNP: Table Mountain's mood today
Now active - KRUGER Dec'14: 14 days appreciation of nature & wild company
Currently - Wildernis Ebb & Flo: 24-27 Apr'15 :lol:
Future trip - Kruger: 10-25 Dec'15

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:47 am

billyf - thanks, I tried, guess camping is like riding a bicycle, you never forget how

Trrp :k thanks for all the well wishes, if you see signs of rust it is from all the water I had to drink to prevent dehydration - very hot work :redface: :redface: :redface:

PNF, the kids all have "modern" camping gear, but the old family dome has better ventilation, is light, and I can erect it on my own - with lots of effort :D

Norms, easy, sit on ground and thread poles through, wedge end of one pole against the car wheel :) for extra hands, and up she pops :lol:

Kaapsedraai, thank you I was very cosy with all that space to myself, and at night I lit the storm lanterns (filled with citronella oil) I hate those bright lights that hide the beautiful stars

I even survived the Tzendse Xmas decorations that were starting to arrive

Image. by Nkulu 1, on Flickr

Image059 by Nkulu 1, on Flickr
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Croc Bridge 11 June 2015
Tamboti 12 June 2015
Letaba 16 June 2015

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:57 am

Good to hear from you, Nkulu!

Your camp set-up looks great. We Angels can do anything, if we set our minds to it!!

Looking forward to the TR.
KTP May 2015

Inyati

Unread postby Inyati » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:04 am

Wow, seriously impressed with the SET UP!!! :mrgreen:
Impressed even more so, because I wouldn't know where to start!!!

Looking forward to this one :popcorn:
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:18 am

Very impressed Nkulu Your pretty Christmas decorations are a good source of protein too and are apparently are delish !!!
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Carol g

Unread postby Carol g » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:36 am

Wow Batty Blond, you certainly look very organized, that tent and all look very professionally put up :clap: :clap:

Waiting for more :popcorn: :popcorn:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Hippotragus, naturally angels can do anything, that's why we are called Angels :D

Inyati, you will be surprised how quickly one learns, and camping is much more fun than chalets :lol:

Hugh, you may try the protein :lol: , I prefer to gingerly remove them back to the bush

Carolg, thanks for joining, the only thing missing was your yummy eats :k

Part of embracing change in life, is knowing that you will be able to adapt. There is a comfort in the familiar, but new things can be better than before, or, the change may even only be temporary.
When faced with change that’s not in your control, adapt, and be on your way.

When you let your mind wander, make sure it's to a beautiful place.

Image146 by Nkulu 1, on Flickr
Nkulu

Croc Bridge 11 June 2015
Tamboti 12 June 2015
Letaba 16 June 2015

Stampajane
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stampajane » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm joining your camping trip, Nkulu. I've stashed a large bottle of Amarula behind your tent.

And I've brought some biltong. It's a much nicer form of protein than those fat caterpillars.

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Stampajane, always room for you :gflower: , I really enjoyed the biltong gift box I received for Xmas, but ssssh please don't tell a soul, the Amarula Queen brought back an unopened bottle. It was so verrrrry hot that I did not even have coffee for 5 whole days, and never opened any "liquid" refreshments :redface:
If I start rusting it was from all the water :lol:

Every day in the Park was a delight, and several times daily I was asked "Did you see anything interesting?"
My reply was always "Everything is interesting and I get to see my beloved Park and harmony and peace in Nature"

Maybe this is what led Karen Blixen to say in Out of Africa, "Here I am, where I belong".

Image150 by Nkulu 1, on Flickr

The ground we walk on, the plants and creatures, the clouds above constantly dissolving into new formations - each gift of nature possessing its own radiant energy, bound together by cosmic harmony

Image142 by Nkulu 1, on Flickr

All the ugliness of the world can best be forgotten in the beauty of nature! ~Mehmet Murat ildan

Image016 by Nkulu 1, on Flickr
Nkulu

Croc Bridge 11 June 2015
Tamboti 12 June 2015
Letaba 16 June 2015

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Nkulu, I love this report. You really are a Free Spirit. I admire you so much :gflower:

Must say your campsite looks veerrrrry neat!
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Travel Tales”