Skip to Content

Wild@Heart & Afafa's trip - KNP, Feb. '14

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Wild@Heart
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Wild@Heart & Afafa's trip - KNP, Feb. '14

Unread postby Wild@Heart » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:23 pm

This was a while back .. so I thought I'd just share some of our sighting in Kruger Feb

Day 1

Within an hour of entering Phalaborwa Gate we came up some General Game ... there was no one there but it was HOT HOT HOT! So HOT that this one decided not to move an inch with just a stare every now and again :)

So after about 1/2 an hour and one bottle of water mist spray we had to leave as well still needed to make Punda by that evening :)

So on we went ... and found this beautiful Goliath Heron ...

This guys just confirmed what we've been feeling all day! HOT HOT HOT :)

So we arrived at Punda ... unpacking and drinking about 20 liters of water! :)

The following day would start off with this different than usual sunrise and some great sightings during the day/night as well :)

More to follow :)
NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Wild@Heart

Re: W@H & Afafa's trip - KNP Feb 2014

Unread postby Wild@Heart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:03 am

Thank you all :)

Wait for it DB :)

So on to day 2 :)

There were quite a few birds around so we took the opportunity to add to our bird list with some new and old birdies :) Or as Loams would put it .. "Nog Mossies" :)

IMG_1670_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1680_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

This young man greeted us as we drove off to Pafuri ...

IMG_1702_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

So the general rule is if I'm close to Punda .. Then a stop at Pafuri and Crooks Corner is compulsory .. This is the 1st time I attempted a pano at Crooks ...

Larger View

Larger View

We returned to prepare for our night drive ... The Mahoney Loop really is the best in Kruger for me .. I'll drive that road everyday up and down :)

The roads were littered with Nightjars of all shapes and sizes except for the one I was looking for .. The Pennant Winged nightjar

IMG_1763_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

The just before we got the gate ... we just had to say goodnight to the general game in the area :)

ImageIMG_1803_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

And so day 2 ended ... peaceful, tranquil and "no place like home" feeling :)

Day 3 again greeted us with yet another masterpiece!

IMG_1817_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

Wild@Heart

Re: W@H & Afafa's trip - KNP Feb 2014

Unread postby Wild@Heart » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 am

So .. onto Day 3 ..

I might have mentioned this .. but I don't think I've ever been in the park when it was this HOT :) I'm sure if Afafa was not with me I would have looked liked a dried up red tomato with some dryness on the side :) She took real good care of this musketeer as an angel should take care of her SO :) :twisted:

Anyhoo ... seeing as we were watching all types of creature .. I had to take a photo of this one .. one of MANY on this trip ... they were packed from bush to bush all over the show!

IMG_1826 by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

Took this one for Db knowing how she loves these little birdies :)

IMG_1828 by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

Was good to see these guys again :)
IMG_1837 by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

Always a favourite of mine to see these big guys in the north .. being a bit cloudy I decided to take a snap of one :)

IMG_1839_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

This little one was very interested in what I was eating .. even offered to swap me .. but I declined his offer :)

IMG_1868 by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

As always .. elephants and water created some good entertainment for us. This little one could barely contol his trunk .. but drink like mommy he was gonna do :)
IMG_1874 by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1888_small by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

We finally reached our new destination in Shingwedzi. I've always been very lucky in the north with big tuskers. Found Massunguine there as well ... I've lost touch with the big tuskers so have no idea who this guys is which we found on the other side of the river bed ... my 400mm had to do a bit of "extended" viewing :)

IMG_1918 by Azantre Photography, on Flickr

Unfortunately day 4 was cloudy .. so no colourfull wake up for us :)

But more will follow soon as we go down to the heart of Kruger ... into predator country :)

Return to “Travel Tales”