Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lowveldboy Another Day Trip Jan 2011
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know you are all :mrgreen: , but I am doing one, like it or not :twisted:

Let me start. We had a family get together in Polokwane on the Saturday (29/01). S My head started doing calculations the minute I confirmed I will attend the family thingy. How far is Phala? Will I be able to do it from Phala to Numbi in a daytrip? I was still undecided until the day before, but thanks to Michel and Sprocky that assured me it is possible without speeding, I decided. Parents, myself, mom work colleague and her teenage daughter would be making the trip. The last 2 would be visiting family. They are not really fans of the park, although they have been there once or twice. Tha gave the older lady the right to know everything :wall: :wall: I got my own back - more about that later.

FRIDAY
The trip to Polokwane was exciting - old lady with a flat tyre that needed help as her husband was in a wheelchair and could not manage, man falling of the backof a bakkie at speed hitting the tar pretty hard (not going to make it from the extent of injuries visible and an acident at the traffic light in theextremely busy city of Lydenburg. What a start to the weekend. :doh:

Saturday
Went to a private reserve close by and saw some nice things in the morning. Against the rules but 1 pic of a 1st for me. ELAND :dance: :dance:

The rest of the day was a big party!!!

SUNDAY - THE TRIP
We woke at 03h30 and lef Polokwane at 04h30. The road to Phala from there goes via Magoebaskloof - a stunning road with breathtaking views. We arrived at Phala gate at 06h45 and was "processed" very quickly. In we went with beerThe 1st sighting was a Bateleur, but no pics. Then our 1st Ellie…

Taking breakfast with him. We drove to Sable and had our 1st encounter with a edgy ellie, the car behind us overtook us with really big eyes on their faces, too much laughter from me and dad. :lol: The rest was more symphathetic. We had time to do some birding

The a special for the ladies of the 8 and 0 leg gang …. :twisted:

Then this little guy was sitting on a sign and frowning at us. We obviously interrupted a nap. The 1st comments about stopping for birds came from the other 2. Revenge is sweet. :twisted:

We had a quick stop at Letaba. Our next sighting was really awesome until some idiotic women in a double-cab, with a bed on the roof, spoilt it by driving past at some amazing speed. I guess some staff moving camps, still does not give her the right to spoil everybody else’s sighting. :evil: On the bridge over the Olifants…

He sat and posed so beautifully, till the speedster. The view from the bridge is awesome, the river is massive. There is still some animals that did not wash away …

Right after the bridge there was a Lion, with only 2 other cars. Still counts as a sighting ….

And then number 3 of the 5. The most important member in my opinion …

Will continue later …

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Post subject: Re: Another Day Trip
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Another report :mrgreen:

like the king of the hill :lol:

Post subject: Re: Another Day Trip
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the replies!!!! :redface:

This will be the thread I will do all my daytrip reports in. Hopefully for you (by that I mean me :twisted: ) there will be a lot of reports. Let us continue...

We had very little sightings between the Olifants and Satara due to the vegetation being very thick. The few sighting there was you could not get a pic because there was grass in the way. Still, I would rather have no sightings in the park than sit at home, so I was happy. The rest were less so ..
The one animal we could get clear pics of was the biggest of them all ...

A quick pit stop at Satara and then a nice little visitor for me to stop at, getting the back seat commentators even hotter (and not only figuratively :twisted: ). The sun was on them and I took my time.

I had a chance for a nice portrait. Somebody needs a shower!!! :lol:

When suddenly something stormed into the road and then lifted off. My heart almost did not make it. A pic of the guilty party.

Just before the Kruger tablets we had some giraffes. This pic gives an idea of how high the grass is after all the rains.

Then on top of the flat piece of rock at the Kruger tablets. Well a predator, but of the feathery kind...

We went past Skuks, and I decided we had enough time to go via Transport, Shitlave and Mestel dams towards Numbi. The last 2 being 2 of my favourite places in the park.

Not far and we encountered my moms favourite animal. Elephants!!! :dance: She always sits up and start sweating when we near them, must be because of total love for them :twisted: . The “best” part for her about this herd, was the fact that the small one was on the left and the adults were on the right. We waited and the adults moved in deeper but the young ones stayed next to the road. Time was of essence so I had to carefully creep past the young ones. I was right next to the last one, when he decided our presence was an irritation :naughty: . You should have heard the screams of utter joy from the 3 ladies in the back when the ellie mad that very famous noise when it is a bit edgy :twisted: . A pic of the guilty ellie…

We then encountered some of the smaller beauties in the park …

Then 2 sets of awesome horns…

Transport and Shitlave was dead quiet. While driving up to Mestel, I heard something in the grass. I stopped and listened and searched, to no avail because the grass was taller than our Nissan X-trail. I was about to drive off when a head popped out into the road, and then another. There less than 3 meters from my driver door was 2 of the most beautiful rhinos I have ever seen. They disappeared into the tall grass before I could get the camera ready. As I drove off, I looked into the rearview mirror and there both of them was standing in the road, posing. I stopped and they disappeared again. The stop at mestel was peaceful. I stopped and just sat there, must to the annoyance of the irregulars, for about 25 minutes just listening and relaxing. I said my Thank You prayer, and headed towards the gate. Then my farewell present at the T-junction, a stunning dark chanting goshawk …

We reached the gate at 06h27, and I did not even bother to ask if anybody needed a stop. The trip home was interrupted by 1 question only from the older of the irregulars – “Why is everybody so quiet?” No answer was given.

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]