Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Craigsa's Sightings : KNP 28 to 31 Oct 2005
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:58 am 

First report is in from Craigsa!

Quote:
Arrived at 5.30. Entered through Malelane. Nice sightings of hyaena, seen ellies and all the usual. Birdlife is quiet! Everything is quiet! Park is burnt and so dry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:50 pm 

Report from Craigsa:

Quote:
Saw some more ellies, hippo, zebra, giraffe and lots of kudu! Pearl spotted owls. Baboon run over on main road - not nice sighting. :cry: Park is quiet! Very windy think rain tomorrow.

So sad about the baboon :(

Craigsa is staying at Lower Sabie camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:52 pm 

Report just in from Craigsa:

Quote:
Hello! Miserable weather this morning! Seen more ellies, buffalo, rhino and mating lions all far away! Good amount of general game. Birdlife still slow will give figure later. Got internet cafe at Skukuza. Was going to log in but internet is down. Still overcast but no rain.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:53 pm 

Sms just in!

Quote:
Log log log log. A whole 5 seconds of one!

You get the feeling Craigsa is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:20 pm 

Report from Craigsa:

Quote:
Evening. 64 birds very slow. Plenty of elephant one 3m from car. Rhino very far to. Lots of lion far away as well. Reed buck and honey badger. Lots of giraffe and kudu! Parents at Satara saw 3 lots of lion, one had just killed baby giraffe next to road! Not bad for afternoon drive.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:49 am 

Hot off my cellphone:

Craigsa's report:
Quote:
Hi! This morning weather was terrible better now. Saw lots of ellie, 13 rhino and 2 herds of +400 buffalo. Plenty warthog & giraffe! Missed lion by 2min. Birds is at 79. Camera zoom lens not working properly trying to fix!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:23 pm 

Report from Craigsa -

Quote:
Parents got 20 lion this morning. Ellie, rhino and 2 cheetah.

Suggested to him that he goes with is parents next time :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:08 pm 

Sms from craigsa

@ WTM

Quote:
Att WTM - parents drove S100 and saw absolutely nothing. From my side more rhino total of 19 for the day. Giraffe, kudu, kori bustard and warthog. Weather much better!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:31 am 

Sms just received from craigsa:

Quote:
Hi! Total of 6 rhino, hyaena, lots of kudu! Secretary bird and thats about it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:17 pm 

Report from craigsa:

Quote:
Seen some ellies and buffalo and bush buck. Staying at nygwena tonight. Heading home tomorrow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:13 am 

Quote:
Morning! Seen ellies, rhino, jackal, hyaena, lots of vultures and eagles. Heading home now! :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
DinkyBird wrote:

Quote:
Morning! Seen ellies, rhino, jackal, hyaena, lots of vultures and eagles. Heading home now! :(

What jackal? Did he say?

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:34 am 

wildtuinman wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:

Quote:

What jackal? Did he say?

No - did not say.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Afternoon, back at home :x safe and sound..
Those road works arent so bad between Machadodorp and Belfast...

Trip was great besides the weather, Thanks DB for reporting my sightings... Bottle of Amarula...

Yes it is my parents, and agree that in future will alwas go with them to park..

Will give full report plus some pic's later...

Lots and lots pf mystery pics on their way, so dont be scared be prepared.. :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Kruger Report 28/10 – 01/11 Lower Sabie

Thursday night went to bed around 10, could not sleep, got up at 12:30 worked on server at work and then decided to leave, left home @ 1:30..

Arrived at Maleane at 5:30, did all the loop roads around the s114 and then headed down the s25 towards Lower Sabie, stopping off at Croc Bridge for a break.
Saw plenty of impala, baboon, kudu, warthog, ellies and a nice sighting of hyaena den next to road.
Arriving at Lower Sabie just before 12, booked in and climbed straight into bed, woke up at 5 and did a quick drive and saw more ellies, hippo, zebra, giraffe and my first sighting of pearl spotted owls. Saw a dead baboon been run over, was not a nice sighting at all.
To my surprise parents arrived on Friday instead of Saturday and stayed the night at Lower Sabie.
Next morning weather was overcast and drizzly, was out as gates opened and down the s28 towards Croc Bridge and then up the main road to Lower Sabie. Route was very quite with a couple of ellies, rhino and 2 buffalo, kudu, impala and baboons. Mating lions on the main road but quite far into the bush..
Arrived back at Lower Sabie and said farewell to parents as they left for Satara, and I left to Skukuza for lunch, very quite, lots of ellies, impala and more baboons, vervets, bushbuck, and kudu, never seen so much kudu before and they seemed to have all gotten used to the cars now.
Had nice lunch at Skukuza, new take away café, was impressed, had internet café but internet was down so could not log on.
On the way back to Lower Sabie, bout 4 cars stopped, what you seen? Leopard!!!, next minute saw it and then reversed back and saw it again for 5seconds, walking away from the road. No pics as I was too slow.
Went out in the afternoon again up towards Nkumbe and then came back via Saltjie road. Got to see more lion, elephant, reedbuck, and a honey badger foraging in the distance.
Got up and close with an elephant, big bull, was so relaxed with me. Very nice.
Was late back to camp because of the lion, but guard did not say anything, shew!
Then I got the horrible news from parents, seen lots of lion, baby giraffe kill next to road.
Now was on a mission to see lion.
Next morning headed up to Tshokwane and drove a couple of those roads up there, found a big herd of buffalo, lots and lots of ellies and rhino, wildebeest and zebra. On the way back down did the Munsthe loop and found another big herd of buffalo, at one stage was in the middle of them, great pics. Stopped at Mlondozi and saw a couple of hippos and vultures fighting over a carcass to the left of the dam.
Then found out my camera zoom lens didn’t want to work, when I tried extending the zoom it got stuck but eventually an hour or 2 later got it right.
Then got more terrible news from parents, saw 20+ lion and 2 cheetah next to road.. Parents only had video camera, so unfortunately I can’t post pics.
Went out in the afternoon again, saw more rhino, total of 19, warthog, kori bustard and giraffe.
Then got great new, parents drove s100 and saw nothing, so atleast WTM and myself are not the only ones that don’t see anything on that road.
Next morning packed up everything and left heading up north again and then down to Skukuza, had to buy time to meet up with parents at 12:30. Saw some secretary birds, more rhino and ellies and hyaena in the road. Saw black backed jackal in the distance.
Then on way down to Lower Sabie, saw some buffalo and ellies in river, and a couple of bush buck.
Out of park to stay at Ngwenya for the night.
Went for early morning drive, did the s25, saw a small herd of ellies, lots of giraffe, vultures, eagles, jackal and smelly hyaena’s
Got back to Ngwenya, packed and left for home leaving parents as they their until the Friday.
Drive was long, road works between Machadadorp and Belfast was not bad, just single lane each way, missed turn off to JHB and ended up coming home through Pretoria.

All in all was a fantastic get away, did not see much lion as usual and the lion I did see were all far away for pic, but then again I usually always stay at Satara.
Weather was miserable until last day.
I have never seen so much rhino in 1 trip, kudu and can even say giraffe.
Got a total of 84 birds, was slow I think due to the weather.

Will post pics tomorrow..

Thanks Kruger until we meet again in December.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next