Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ossendryver-letaba and shingwedzi TR-Dec 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hey this is my TR for 2 nights at letaba and 2 nights at shingwedzi.
Day 1
we woke up and it was storming, but that wasn't going to stop us. we just finished packing all the food and we were good to go. we wanted to stop over at Magoebaskloof to look for a very rare bird called the Grey Wagtail because a friend of mine saw it there. when we got to the water fall there was to much water and so it was covering the rocks where the Grey Wagtail sits and there were so many people there and they were making so much noise so we couldn't find it. so now that we left there, we were on the road to Kruger. when we arrived at orpen gate i went to go look at the waterhole that was on the webcam because i have always wanted to see it. i saw impala and zebra drinking there.
we drove then to satara and all the way up to letaba. on that drive we saw a sighting that i have never seen before, a whole field of raptors, such as marabou storks, bateleurs, tawny eagles, white headed vultures, hooded vultures etc, all on the ground feeding on beetles and mopani worms. got some good pics of a bateleur and a tawny eagle right next to the road doing the same thing. I will up load them just-now because my friend i went with took all the pictures and will give them to me soon. then we saw 3 promising big tuskers walking on the road (our first elephant sighting) that was amazing to watch. when we got around letaba we had an extra half an hour to drive around that area. i chose to do a loop just outside letaba. on that loop at 6:20 we turned back too head back to the camp before the gates closed we saw a pack of hyenas running across the road. if we didn't do that u-turn at that second then we wouldn't have seen them. not to mention we saw all of these wonderful sightings only 4 hours of being in the park. then we checked in and had some nice chops in the African bush. there's nothing better in the world than a braai in the Kruger.
we saw 41 different bird species, our aim is to see 150. i will name all the birds that we saw at the end of the TR.

animals for that day:
zebra
wildebeest
buffalo
elephant
impala
lesser bushbaby
kudu
bush buck
vervet monkey
chacma baboon
spotted hyena
giraffe
hippo
white rhino
crocs
common duiker
steenbok
warthog
waterbuck

what a start to the trip.

Post subject: Re: letaba and shingwedzi TR
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 2
We woke up early at 4 am had a shower and when i got out I looked down and I saw that I nearly stood on a very poisonous scorpion I was so shocked and so scared. After that I got my breath back and we were off to the gate. We were the first people out. 15minutes later we were driving and suddenly we saw a blob of yellow in the road in the distance. When we get closer we realized what it was. There they were 3 beautiful male lions all to our self. They must have just eaten because they were in the road and they lie on the road to let the food digest on a smooth warm surface such as a road. Then we were heading for the tropic of Capricorn road. We drove and finally got to that water whole in the middle where it was just a field. We saw there a jackal killing and eating a scrub hare. Then we went to one of the loops around that area and there we saw something that I don't think I'll ever see again. It was just spectacular. We drove past a small puddle of water. We stopped and there was a crocodile in it. So we were looking at it after about five minutes it came out the water and was sitting right next to our car. Now we were looking at that, then we suddenly realized that about 20 terrapins also came out that puddle and started attacking the crocodile and not even 30 centimeters from our car. Then while we were so entertained by this, the croc started being aggressive and started attacking the terrapins by biting their heads and their shells. Then after the croc made it's point the terrapins disappeared into the puddle and then soon afterwards so did the croc. We then started going back on our way back to letaba and on the way back we stopped at one of those bridges when we stopped I saw a buck that didn't really look like an impala so I took our my binos and started looking. It was a Reedbuck !!!!!!! Never ever seen one of those. After that we left and we were driving and I looked down for like a sec and I see a hyena den. All the pups they were so cute. Then we again ended that day with a nice delicious braai.
animals for that day:
zebra
wildebeest
Black backed jackal
Terrapins
elephant
impala
lesser bushbaby
kudu
bush buck
vervet monkey
chacma baboon
spotted hyena
giraffe
hippo
crocs
Lion
steenbok
warthog
Reedbuck
Banded Mongoose
buffalo
Waterbuck

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]http://www.sanparks.org/images/mobile.png[/img

Last edited by ossendryver on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 3
We woke up early again at 3:50 we had breakfast and we left, again we were the first people out. Today we were heading to shingwedzi for the next to nights.We were In the park for 10 minutes and 3 hyenas were walking along the road together but then when we stopped another car came and chased them away, we were very angry about that but in the end what can we do. On the main road we went to a water whole and then we saw there drinking a tssessabe. Then we headed to the tropic of capricorn again to see if we could see anything. When we were driving I suddenly saw an ear twitch. I shouted stop and there was a pride of ten lions. There were cubs and they were playing and fighting it was so nice to watch. But as usually the elders were sleeping without a worry In the world. When we drove off we saw another Reedbuck this time it crossed the road. I've never seen a Reedbuck before and now I've seen twice in to trip. But both times there were two together. So they were probably the same ones. Then we drove to the same water hole as yesterday and we saw the same jackal. Sat there for a half an hour and then we went to the main road to head to shingwedzi. We didn't really see anything not the way there except for a heard of about 100 buffalos crossing the road. We arrived at shingwedzi at 3:30 pm. We booked in and then went to the low water bridge. Because of all the rain it was closed so we just parked there to watch the birds and the crocs. We saw About 10 crocs waiting in line with their mouths open to try and catch fish. That was so cool got lots of pics with those. The one croc got a big fish and then by mistake dropped it and the other croc stole it then they both fought over it. We sat there watching this until the gates closed. We also saw a lot of birds like open-billed stork, spoon billed, green backed heron and saddle billed storks. 
Animals for day three:
Zebra 
Wildebeest
Buffalo
Elephant
Impala
Tssessabe 
Kudu
Bush buck
Vervet monkey
Chacma baboon
Spotted hyena
Giraffe
Hippo
Steenbok
black backed jackal
Warthog
Crocs
Lions
Reedbuck
Terrapins 
Tree Squirrel
Banded mongoose

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Last edited by ossendryver on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 am 

Great sightings ossendryver, nice Lions and Reedbuck. :D
I remember we saw the same scene in Feb this year with the Crocs lying against the bridge gorging on small silver fish.
We were lucky in that the bridge was still open, only just, so have wonderful pics literally looking down into the crocs gaping jaws.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:18 pm 

Ok

Here are a few!

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow just got deja vu
Thats exactly what I saw.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 4
We woke up at 3:50 again to be out early because today we were going to go to Pafuri and then to crooks corner. When we drove out the camp we saw something running across the road. We look and it was zebra but we got so excited. So we drove on and we saw something cross the road again but it was still another zebra. We were so frustrated. But then we finally saw something running along the road we look and it was 2 black backed jackals. They just stopped in the road so we stopped and looked at them. I said to my friend that usually when I see jackal there are other predators around and as I said that he said " hey, isn't that a lion walking over there?" I look and there it was a full grown beautiful male lion. It walked to a bit of water from the rain and started drinking. It was the most magnificent sighting. After that we drove on. The rest of the way we didn't really see anything spectacular worth writing. We got to pafuri and had lunch and then went to crooks corner. At crooks corner we saw crocs and lots of them. And a troop of baboons playing by the water. We also took the nyala drive and guess what we saw... Nyala and lots of them. Then we started turning back because all the driving was making us so tired. On the way back we saw herds of buffalo and a few elephants. We turned to go to kloppefintein waterhole because they saw wild dog  that morning there. But sadly we never saw them but what we did see was two klipspringers running in the road and no koppies in sight, which I found weird but any way that was so cool. We went to Punda Maria to have a toasted cheese and get some ice. After our 2nd lunch we headed back to the main road and when we turned on to the main road we saw a lioness walking along the road next to our car. We followed here nearly all the way to shingwedzi but after a while she went back into the bush. Then we went again to the low water bridge to watch more crocs eating fish. After that we had supper (braai) and are going to sleep our last night in the park. 

Animals for day four:
Zebra 
Wildebeest
Buffalo
Warthog
Elephant
Impala
Klipspringers 
Kudu
Steenbok
Nyala 
Chacma baboon
Giraffe
Hippo
Crocs
Lions
Terrapins 
Dwarf mongoose
Black backed jackals
Waterbuck

Last edited by ossendryver on Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 5
So this was it the final and last day in the Kruger. I was so upset. But anyway we woke up at 3:50 and as usual we were off. We were going to leave through phalaborwa gate. We were driving and guess what we saw. MORE LIONS!!!!! ( this was now 18 lions that we have seen this trip) They were three beautiful males walking along the road. It was so weird what they did. They stopped and the one male was on the floor and the other male then looked like he was mating with him. I'm sure they were all males because they had manes by it was so weird. But when other cars came they ran away. But the bad thing I didn't get good pictures of them because it was to dark and the camera couldn't get the exposure right. Then we drove on the main road to do the tropic of Capricorn loop for the last time of the Trip. By the time we had gotten on this loop it was light so we could see. When we were driving a hyena was just merely walking on the road. When it reached our car it started smelling and licking it and then walked behind the car along the road but we didn't feel like bothering it so we drove on. We saw zebra along the road and we also saw 2 jackals also walking along the road but this time there wasn't any lion drinking in the bush. But we stopped at the waterhole again and watched a Herd of zebra, wildebeest and Tssessabe coming down to drink. Then we wanted to go to letaba to buy a shirt for one of my friend's friend. But on the way there we saw an elephant cross the road so we stop and then another crossed and then another by the end we saw a herd of 45 crossing the road one by one. It was amazing to watch but sadly no Big tusker but the babies were so cute the one still couldn't control it's trunk and it was twirling around uncontrollably. Then we crossed a bridge and on that bridge there was a troop or baboons playing. There was a cliff leading on to the bank of the river and all the young playful baboons were pushing the others down that cliff it was so funny to watch. But I have never seen that before. And I was actually got scared that the baboons would get hurt but they just shook it of and went back up to do it again.  
Then on the way out we saw buffalo crossing the road.
That's it for my trip report hope you all enjoyed it. Will post pictures soon so stay tuned. And I'll put the list of birds I saw when I have made it. 
Animals for day 5
Zebra
Leopard tortoise
Chameleon
Banded mongoose 
Wildebeest
Buffalo
Elephant
Steenbok
Impala
Tssessabe 
Kudu
Vervet monkey
Chacma baboon
Spotted hyena
Warthog 
Giraffe
Hippo
Crocs
Lions
Blacked backed jackal
Terrapins 
Waterbuck

Last edited by ossendryver on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK
i finished the bird list
My aim was 150 but this is close i got 117:
Bird List
1. African Grey Hornbill
2. African Paradise Flycatcher
3. African Pied Wagtail
4. Amur Falcon
5. Arrow-marked Babbler
6. Barn Swallow
7. Bateleur
8. Black eyed bulbul
9. Black-bellied Khoraan
10. Black-chested Snake Eagle
11. Blacksmith Lapwing
12. Brown-crowned Tchagra
13. Brown-hooded Kingfisher
14. Burchell’s Coucal
15. Burchell's Glossy Starling
16. Grassveld Pipit
17. Cape Sparrow
18. Cattle egret
19. Comb Duck
20. Common Sandpiper
21. Common Swift
22. Crested Francolin
23. Dideric Cuckoo
24. Egyptian Goose
25. Eurasian Turtle Dove
26. European Roller
27. Fork-tailed Drong
28. Goliath Heron
29. Great Egret
30. Great Egret
31. Greater Blue-eared Glossy Starling
32. Green-backed heron
33. Green-spotted dove
34. Grey Heron
35. Hamerkop
36. Helmeted Guineafowl
37. Hooded Vulture
38. Jacobin cuckoo
39. Kori Bustard
40. Laughing Dove
41. Lesser Masked Weaver
42. Lesser Spotted Eagle
43. Lilac-breasted Roller
44. Little Swift
45. Marabou Stork
46. Marico Flycatcher
47. Martial Eagle
48. Monotonous Lark
49. Montagu's Harrie
50. Namaqua Dove
51. Natal Francolin
52. Ostridge
53. Rattling Cisticola
54. Red-backed Shrike
55. Red-billed Buffalo Weaver
56. Red-billed Hornbill
57. Red-billed Oxpecker
58. Rock kestrel
59. Rufous-naped Lark
60. Sabota Lark
61. Saddle-billed Stork
62. Southern Carmine Bee-eater
63. Southern Grey-headed Sparrow
64. Southern Ground Hornbill
65. Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill
66. Spur-winged Goose
67. Swainson's Francolin
68. Tawny Eagle
69. Water Thick-knee
70. Wattled starling
71. White-backed Vulture
72. White-browed Robin-chat
73. White-faced Whistling Duck
74. White-fronted Bee-eater
75. White-headed Vulture
76. White-headed Vulture
77. Wire-tailed Swallow
78. Woodland Kingfisher
79. Woolly-necked Stork
80. Yellow-billed Kite
81. Yellow-billed Oxpecker
82. Yellow-billed Stork
83. Southern Masked Weaver
84. Hoopoe
85. Pied Kingfisher
86. African Openbill
87. Common Greenshank
88. African Spoonbill
89. Peregrine Falcon
90. African Harrier-hawk
91. Wahlberg's Eagle
92. Spotted Thick-knee
93. European Bee-eater
94. Greater Kestrel,
95. Red-capped Lark
96. Wood Sandpiper
97. Three-banded Plover
98. Brown Snake Eagle
99. Lesser Spotted Eagle
100. Red-crested Khoraan
101. Brown-headed Parro
102. White-rumped Swift
103. White Stork
104. Crowned Lapwing
105. White-headed Lapwing
106. Blacksmith Lapwing
107. Broad-billed Roller
108. Trumpeter Hornbill
109. White Helmetshrike
110. African Black-headed Oriole
111. Red Billed Woodhoopoe
112. Red-backed Shrike
113. Melba Finch
114. Long-tailed Starling
115. Gabar Goshawk
116. Black-crowned Tchagra
117. Kurrichane Buttonquail

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry for the quality these are from my video camera. :tongue:
still waiting for the real ones but these should do for now.

this was on the way to kruger. the Phalaborwa stadium.

old dagga boys outside satara.

big tusker :huh:

cute warthog next to the road.

bateleur feeding on mopani worms.

more to come soon...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've uploaded more!

Tawny Eagle next to the bateleur.

more raptors on the ground feeding on mopani worms.

Ground Hornbill.

White Rhinos.

more to come...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are some zebbies in the road

Martial Eagle

My first (of many) Lion sighting.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are some more.

A herd of buffalo.
Image Image

Cape Vulture.
Hooded Vulture.

Early Morning Tsessebe having a drink.

A wonderful Bull Elephant.

A road Block.

Kori Bustards on the Tropic Of Capricorn.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK this is the whole crocodile vs terrapin story. :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

by the way the last 6 photos are frame by frame shot of the croc biting the terrapin's head. :whistle:

thanks for all the comments. :D :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next