Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Scipio Schools out another TR keeping the kids busy Dec 2010
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:13 am 

Well, December holidays and Kruger is green. On the first trip it was happening already watching a AWC on the hunt. :lol: Leopard Stalking Impala babies, Lovely Ellies and a green Kruger. :dance:

The best time ever and Sable Hide on Monday. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Schools out (Take 2), another TR keeping the kids busy
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 am 

As always, I love Ellies. :thumbs_up:

And the Kitty hunting. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:04 am 

Thanks LS, Katja,

This December the list of rare species include the AWC, Roan, some birdies, but also some sad pics to follow. :? But with the rains, it will be the small stuff taking the spotlight I think. :thumbs_up:

AM, we had a stunning time already in the park, and off again in 3 hours. :thumbs_up:

Hugh, we spen some time with the Kitty, and he posed well. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:06 pm 

Well, another rare one, :wink:

RP, at least I have pic's that does not show the khaki knee hig sock and the cream Jordan shoes. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:09 pm 

Well, off to Sable hide for a sleepover, the kids are dressed, the Landy is packed, now they are nagging me to leave the forum :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great sightings this morning, and the rain is clearing. Cannot wait for the time around a small fire, just s few blue flames licking and the nightsounds. 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm 

WOW, what a time. :big_eyes:

Firstly we leave for the hide with rain pelting down, so what we going to eat. :hmz: A quick stop at Spar and at least the two Ox-tongues are pickled and ready. Looks like cold meats and buns tonight. :slap:

At least we see some nice Buff & Ellies on the way, the beer is cold(As is the weather) and some OBS is along. Maybe tomorrow we braai the meat, the Weber is packed and the charcoal. :D

We get to the hide at about 6:30, unpacking in the rain and then, a break in the clouds, stars shining. :clap: Out comes the Braai goodies and we sit around a small Weber fire with meat cooking, then we hear the Lions :dance: After about 2 hours, just turning meat :thumbs_up: and listening to the Frogs, Nightbirds and Lions the food is done, kids are eating, then it starts pelting down with rain again.

Everybody in the hide, the rain gave us a break and we just sit, enjoying the rain on Sable's water with a OBS. :thumbs_up:

This morning, a very interesting few moments with a really irate cow-ellie, that is while on the cell. They thaught I was mad on the other side of the line, chucking the phone to the SO in mid sentence. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Scipio on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm 

Well Katja, we landed in between a widespread breeding herd of ellies, now I am very carefull of them. :wink:

But then a certain SANParks official phone me with a request, :tongue: keeping my attention from the ellies. :whistle: The next moment this grey mass was on top of us, cellphones flying, kids ducking and a landrover breaking the Drag Racing record of year 2009 and a lot of noise we were gone. :lol: :lol:

And this was on a Low Maintenance road, pictures of these roads to follow so everybody can understand the immense driving abilty :twisted: (or luck) :roll:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 pm 

Working on the first day, will post soon. 8) Kruger keeps me busy in the day and some nights. :wink:

Thanks for the comments all, :thumbs_up: The ellie concerned chased us down the road for more than 100 meters, no mock in that. :big_eyes:

Busy with the first batch of pics now. :P

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:14 pm 

Day 1:

Well, the kids will be home for more than a month, so Scorpion, myself, and two other parents decided to have a last go without the wild bunch.

It was overcast so nothing would really happen, cold winds, and we encountered our first real babies, able to take a few pic’s.

Hey, I’m new
Drinking baby

Then we realised something else was having a look as well.

Fresh meat
Who You looking at?

As time went on, the young leopard decided to move on, but the Ellies enjoyed the new green Mopani’s.

Hello Summer!

A good start, and tomorrow we show the kids some real nice stuff.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 pm 

Quote:
"some leopard fell of the wrong side of the tree"

mattib, :thumbs_up:

But the next day in the park was a scorcher:

The next trip:

Well, after getting the kids to behave normal again after school, Sunday must be a big one, Maybe we go to Shingwedzi!

It was hot, even at 8am the temperature soared past 30 :big_eyes: . But this big guy enjoyed the new green Mopani:

Even the Eagles(Crows) were yawning: :tongue:

Hyena was snoring under the shade:

At Mooiplaas were lucky enough to see this big chap, :thumbs_up: and an Openbill:

A big Buffalo herd tried to find shade against the cement dam, the heat was now counting, and the Icecreams from Mopani Camp lasted a full 45seconds, the cold Hansa not much longer.

Suddenly we decide to do Tropic Of Capricorn loop, and then we got stuck at that waterhole I still don’t know how to pronounce or spell: Elephants, and something special hiding behind him: :lol:

Some Kori Bustard, Tawny and Ostridge in the shimmering heat: 8)

Not Only the Impalas gave birth, but it was earhanging hot: :P

And on the way home, another special antilope:

Well, it was a good day, but things were far from over for the holidays……..

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:59 pm 

Now today had one very :big_eyes: sighting in a serpentine form, one of those that nobody would believe :big_eyes:

And the raptors are back, eating Mopani worms, and we are hoping they are not all going to get poached(The worms that is) :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:59 am 

Well, we were standing still, my daughter doing a illigal thing :tongue: We will come to that later. :lol: :lol: When I see a slithering form next to the road, it was very fast, but I did get 2 rather shabby pic's of a Bandad Phase Cobra(Still to confirm from the pic's) the size of Gustav at home, or even bigger, thicker than my wrist :big_eyes:

It was a great sighting amongst some rare birding, and great impi's having morning excersise. :thumbs_up: With the Mopani worms out, the raptors are around every corner. :dance:

But we are off to the Olifants for a River Safari, so this weekend I will post again. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:31 pm 

Wow, it was, and still is hot. 8) But what a day. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:41 pm 

mattib, I just downloaded a "Smallhouse" full of pic's. and the snake came out OK. :thumbs_up: But today the ellie Bull, :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:12 am 

This from yesterday, spot the animal. :lol: The Yellow Billed Kite was swooping down and had a nice effect for me. 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next