Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lowveldboy W/e of heatwaves, performers and seeing 0 Nov 10
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, I will have to have 2 TR's going at the same time. but that is fine by me.

Where to start with this one, though?

Let me start by saying it was what the doctor ordered, a weekend away - just chilling. The heading I will explain as we go along, well at least the parts that does not make sense. This trip was again (seems I like doing that) booked on short notice.

Post 1 will be the build-up.

Wednesday 24 November 09h00
A call to central reservations was made on the spur of the moment, with one question asked - "What is available for Friday and Saturday?" The answer came that was basic huts available at Pretoriuskop and a Hut at Balule. I needless to say jump at the opportunity of going to Balule. Book it was my answer - and it was done. Phone down, now let us look at the budget - :big_eyes: OOPS!!! that is not going to work. PLAN A - Phone call to my parents. "Hi Mom, fancy a weekend away? Yes, good because I already booked. I pay half, you pay half. Deal" So no need for a plan B. The reason for phoning them was monetory, and the car. My dad drives a Nissan X-Trail - so much better than my car. Arranged!! :dance: :dance:

John Denver's song sprung up in my mind and stayed there for the rest of the week -

"Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong. Kruger park, nature wonder - take me home, country roads"

Thursday 25 November
Shopping day - need I say more :wall: . Food and drinks. Thursday night was spend packing. Day over.

Friday 26 November
I still had to work, but that was nigh impossible - excitement was too much. I left at 15h00, picked up mom from work, went to pack the car. I was ready in a flash, and then sat, waiting for dad as he worked and will be here 16h00. Counting - 15 minute left, 14 and a half minutes left, 14 minutes 20 seconds left .....

Strange how slowly a watch moves if you keep staring at it :roll: Then at 15h59 he walks in the door and says let go. The car was out the gate 4 minutes later. 1 minute later :wall: :wall: :wall: Turn around go back in, the reservation papers. We wasted 2 minutes :evil: . We were on the road.

45 minutes later - There it was, in front of me. Tears started forming, goosebumps all over (even as I type this) - NUMBI GATE!!! :dance: Seatbelt loose, check in done in a flash, windows down - I WAS HOME!!!!

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Post subject: Re: Weekend of heatwaves, performers and seeing "nothing"
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BUSHBUDDIES - You are more than welcome, we will squeeze you in ...

Sorry fo rthe time delay, connection problems .... :wall:

All sorted now, so let us start.

Friday, 26 November 2010

I headed straight to Mestel dam, with happiness flowing through every bone in my body. Then our 1st sighting.

European Bee-eater

Then we continued up to the dam, where ther was no sightings. Well, SO WHAT!! I switched off the engine, had a cool refreshing drink and just soaked up the quiet tranquility. We then headed out and 100m further we saw something moving ... I decided this was to special to miss and headed back to the dam, my guess this animal was going for a drink. I WAS RIGHT!! Joining us for a drink was this, was

The rhino dissapeared behind the dam wall, and we realized that time has caught up with us. We headed to camp straight away. We arrived at Pretoriuskop, but not before encountering some ladies ...

is she staring at the most stunning sunset?

We booked in, with much fighting over our Wildcards :wall: :wall: . I decided to ignore the unwilling staff and immediatly started a fire, one to end the world. It was quiet, serene and .....

Well you get the picture. We had chicken, bread and salad for supper while listening to the night sounds. Everybody went to bed except me. 01h00 I decided I better turn in. Slept came quickly and deeply, like it always does when you are home.

Till next time.

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MOOSE - How lucky is that :big_eyes: , I have never even seen the doggies

Saturday, 27 November 2010
The alarm went off at 04h00, and I was surprisingly fresh after only 3 hours sleep. Flasks filled, car packed and we were off at 04h30. we went straight to Shitlave, but there was nothing, not even birdlife. We continued and then our 1st sighting, Ellies ...

and then we were held up by something in the road. Now hehad a deathwis as he went underneath the car ... here is the guilty party ...

We could not see it so we switched offf the engine and had some coffee. After 45 minutes the little guy came out and went into the bushes, so we left. I had neckpain trying to see where he was all the time.

the temprature was climbinmg already and it was clear today was going to be hot. We went to transport and was admiring the weaver nest and other waterbirds ...

when all of a sudden we were joined by a little bold hornbill. Saw on leachy's report he visited them as well.

He started serenading us, while we were having coffee, unfortunately for him we did :rtm: and no food was taken out. He finally lleft when he realized for food he came to the wrong car. We did however enjoy the performance he put up. We left and a bit further we saw our 1st steenbokkie. The reason I specified the 1st will become evident later.

We saw giraffe ...

We continued, and saw some ellies dissapearing quickly and then at the usual spot ...

No steenbokkies, but there was something ...

then as we are about to leave, on the other side. They were here after all ...

From there on the wildlife just kept on showing itself ...

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We left the klipspringers and headed off,when we encoutered Klipspringers sightings no 2, 3 and 4. We came to a dry river bed and as usual came to an almost standstill, looked and stared in all direction - there was no sign of anything. We were just about to pull away when all of a sudden, out of nowhere came 2 huge males ...

Strange how such a big animal can just apear out of nowhere. We headed straight for skukuza and had a quick pitstop. Whe then headed out and decided against Eloff street and went left . Across the 1st bridge there was some hippos, but they kept going under at the sight of a camera. Then just after the bridge, the sighting of a migrant ...

Woodland kingfisher

A bit on, there was a buffs again, I focused on the younger generation ...

Then on the second bridge, there was birdlife abundant.

A hamerkop ...

Grey Heron ...

and pied kingfisher, where the challenge was to get them while hovering. I have a lot of out of focus, out of sight and the back of a kingfisher photos. These were the better pics ...

We left the bridge and up to Tshokwane saw more ellies in the distance, impala, giraffes, steenbokkies no 5, 6, 7 and then we stopped counting. The weather was cloudy but hot and humid. Just before Tshokwane we had another steenbokkie ...

and stopped to get some pics of the cute baby Impalas. This one was really struggling to walk.

We had a stop at Tshokwane and had a quick brunch, met up with some friends from Nelspruit, and went off again ...

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We left Tshokwane and almost immediatly had our next sighting, some warthogs and kudu's. We then continued to unearth every steenbokkie in KNP. We had a stop at Mazithi, where the resident Rhino was in attendance. Other than that it was very quiet. I turned onto the S37 towards Nwanetsi, and was rewarded by impala. Things went quiet, or that is what it seemed like until these turned up ..

They were a pride of about 10, all lazing away the day as only cats can do. We left them in peace and then we found this boy

he was having a bath

and a drink

Not much further we had our 1st wildebeest sighting

and of course the zebras was in attendance. Anybody following my other TR would have noticed I love taking pics of Zebras.

This one obviously had something to say ...

We stood with them for some time and headed out, we got to a dry river bed and missed a very special moment with seconds ...

That will be told tomorrow.

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WENDYA - Thank you for hanging around, and just in time for the next installment

DAY 2 - LAST INSTALLMENT

We were heading along when this bird caught our eye. Micetta, help needed with ID please, I suspect Temminck's Courser.

We then got to a dry riverbed. There was a herd of ellies standing very close, nothing unusual. Then they all started to part and a very young one got up, falling from side to side. Just born, and I mean JUST BORN. We only got a few pics as the hands were full with some cold refreshments :redface: , but here they are

The photos proof that the youngster is very young, the aunties herded the youngster towards thickets and they dissapeared very quickley. We were happy seeing another life taking its 1st steps into the world :dance: . We left and found some more steenbokkies ...

We went past Balule to book in at Olifants, but not before taking this pic of a Yellow Billed Stork ...

Book in was done quickly and very efficiently. We stocked up on essentials (wood and beer) at the shop and then headed towards the Olifants river bridge. Then we saw the reason the camp got the name of Olifants ...

Then we were at the bridge. We stopped climbed out and soaked in the view. In the riverbed were the usual ...

Ellies

Hippos

and then of course the view

On the the way back we saw more ellies and then some bee-eaters.

We arrived at Balule, and the parents was immmediatly impressed, their 1st time at Balule. We had a quick cold shower, to get rid of all the heat. Then a fire was started to end all fires. The usual came to do patrols.

As well as some pretty big insects ...

The silence was soaked in while everybody was eating and going to bed, one by one. That is all except the french couple staying next to us, they went for a shower, they were gone for a few minutes when the beers started to have the usual effect on me. I went to the ablutions, and left very quickly, without doing the intended. The french couple was more than just showering :whistle: :redface: :redface: :big_eyes: . The nearest tree had to do. My strangest moment in KNP by far.

I was up since 04h00 this morning, but the meat was only put on at 09h30. We were having steak and salads. Steaks were done quickly, and more wood was put on. I was not tired. Me and dad sat and just listened - lions roaring, hippos grunting, hyeanas whooping. Dad went of bed, and I was still not tired. I sat another while and found myself going to bed at 02h00. What a day!!!

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

GOING HOME - PART 1

I woke after 2 hours sleep, and plenty to drink. I felt it to be honest, so a quick very cold shower did the trick. Then I remembered we are going home, but it was a long way so plenty to look forward to. We left the gate at little after 04h30, the 1st cuppa was pured and 1 sip taken, then I spilt it all, because there was our 1st sighting .... :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: Hyeana ..

I poured another cuppa, after taking some pics, and watched them. 3 in all, great start to the day. i focused on what I suspect might be the matriarch.

She left, and so did we. We encountered some zebras ...

and then a traffic jam. We started guessing all the usuals but found these ...

:huh: traffic jam for "general" game. NO WAY!!! and it was to good to be true, because there was the cause of the jam, some more Hyeana's. :dance: :dance: :dance: We sat there for close to 90minutes before the hyeanas dissapeared, just watching the interaction between all the animals. It was such an amazing experience seeing it, I cant even put in words. Hope the series of pics gives you some idea ..

Look at the scolded puppy .... :wink: :whistle: TOO CUTE!!!!!

Finally the hyeana'a left and the animals could play with the water, and have a well deserved drink...

Next we encountered a big bird ...

and the we met up with some very famous characters. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. I introduce to you

THE BEAST ...

and BEAUTY ...

:tongue: The next sighting is especially for all the angels out there. Look deep in his eyes and you will be hypnotised .... :twisted:

So beautifull. We stopped at Satara to fill up the flasks, and then at Nsemani, where there was the usual hippo and fish eagles. The pics is no good unfortunately :slap: . The road to Orpen was quiet, both animals and car were scarce. A quick stop at Orpen to get some ice creams as we were just starting the heatwave, 10h30 and already 38 degrees. :big_eyes: and climbing. We made the stop quick as Numbi was still very far.

NEXT INSTALLMENT WILL INCLUDE "NOTHING" :whistle: , till then ..

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Last Day continued - finally
We decided to drive via Talamati to Nhlanguleni, for a nice lunch break, the road was very quiet, cars and animals was hiding. We did see a lone elephant and a pair of egyptian geese. I was hoping to spot Sable at fairfield, but no luck, better luck next time then. We stopped at the picnic spot, and the tempreture was going towards 46, nice day for a drive then :twisted: .

We went past Lugmag dam and I have never seen it that dry. We then stopped at waterhole where there was some vultures, but the pics came out horrible. I did get a nice pic of this guy ...

Another car pulled up and we talked about the nice weather. I asked about sightings and got the following answer - "NOTHING, NOT EVEN BIRDS, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING". This got emphasised by the wife and children. Oh well, I thought. I showed him the vultures, and he queried why we stopped for vultures. :wall: :wall: Another one of those. They sped off and we started talking about idiots like the guy, well we basically started when 100m further in the open, having not moved for a while - obviously by their posture, we saw this flying "nothings" ...

Then a nice big and gracefull "nothing" 200m further...

less than a kilometre, a smaller "nothing" ...

And then a very special and rare "nothing"a further 2km, we finally saw sable, my family's 2nd time only and the 1st clear sighting for them...

Good thing we don't take other peoples word on no sightings and keep searching. None of these sighting was difficult to spot, and the animals did not move in the small time till we got to them. The rest of the trip all sightings was named nothing in honour of the "big 5 chaser idiot". Sorry for the wording, but why the ^$@@ come to KNP if you do not appreciate everything? :huh:

We spend a good hour with the sable, until he walked off and it was clear he was injured. What a shame, all alone and injured, not a good place to be in that position. We headed to Skukuza to fill up the car and then off to Numbi. We decided to go via the S1 and Lake panic. Lake panic was empty for a change. Then as described in Leachy's TR the Giraffe carcass ...

With the predators still in the vicinity, still snacking away ...

We then saw a OSV standing by the side of the road and to my surprise, the guide showed us what they saw and then left. Here is our finishing touches on the Big 5, ...

We then found a nice ellie ...

and then another couple of young ones ...

Babe? and sister. Then as we closed in on the gate, with a heavy heart we saw another amazing set of horns ...

This turned out to be the last sighting of the day, and as we left it started to rain. As the gate got small in the mirror, we all enjoyed a quiet reflection of a weekend, no let me rephrase - A WONDERFULL OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THIS AWESOME PLACE!!!!

The End!!!

TRIPS PLANNED 2011
April
11-12 - Tamboti
13 - Letaba
14-16 - Punda Maria
17-19 - Shingwedzi
20-23 - Balule
24-25 - Pretoriuskop

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]