Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 8
 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: vlakvarksegat-Joyous reunions, tearful goodbyes-Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In July, I received an e-mail with the heading: “A few days in Kruger”, it was from Martie. Not knowing what to expect, I opened the mail. The mail went something like this….”I am spending a few days in Kruger and would love you to join me” with an itinerary that looked like this….

”October 19 and 20 - Tuesday and Wednesday - Talamati - GC6 (Caters for all of us)
October 21/22/23 - Thursday, Friday and Saturday - Shimuwini - GD4 (Caters for all of us)
October 24 and 25 - Sunday and Monday - Skukuza -LR2W - A luxury Riverside Bungalow
October 26 - Tuesday - BnDal, my last night in Kruger - FA6 - A family bungalow.... “

What a question, I immediately replied YES. :dance: :dance:
And so a fantastic trip of joyous reunions, tearful goodbyes and some wobbles started taking shape.
We were a core party of five with friends joining us every few days. I met the most fantastic people and we had good laughs while recollecting stories and happenings of Martie’s year in the park.
The party included:
Martie – Mgoddard – famous for “staying in Kruger for a year”
Neels – Vlakvarksegat or VVSG for short (only thorn amongst the roses)
Mari – Hippohollow (my SO and not very active on the forum except for checking up on me)
Annette – click click – takes amazing pics
Aunty Dot – not on the forum – amazing cook and with an abundance of joy and love for life…and she wobbles every now and then

Friends:
John and Norma - John was affectionately called the Supervisor in Martie’s BLOG. They are not on the forum as they are BC – Beyond Computers – in Norma’s own words.
Noel and Anne – chappie – not expired yet- I am sure they will elaborate. They joined us in Skukuza and were appointed honorable judges of the” potjiekos” competition.

Before I start in earnest, I would like to extend an invite to my fellow trippers, as we did not spend every minute together accept for when we were at camp, please interfere, interject, correct, post photos, tell from your perspective, share your special sightings. This trip with its special moments and memories belong to all of us…….

Post subject: Re: Joyous reunions, tearful goodbyes and some wobbles
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Very apt Title Neels :thumbs_up:

This brings back many happy memories shared with a wonderful group of friends.

At last I have been able to log on....don't how long for :evil:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Brilliant title Neels!

To be able to re-live it all again, thank you for offering to write this one, and we will fill in where we can.

I feel almost as excited about the TR as I did before the trip itself! Can't wait!

We had a great time and met some lovely people along the wobbles, I mean way :)

16-19 May 2013: Sand River Bush Camp, KNP
22-25 June 2013: Talamati Bush Camp, KNP

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 pm 

Well it took a lot of prompting from Chappie and some very special memories to project me out of lurking mode. (Boorgatspook, please note I'm still lurking!). :)

Meeting with a group of very different, but very special people anywhere is rare, but when it is in KNP it is superlative. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Suffice it to say that I am still drooling at the mouth for the Braai (Martie at the top of her game), Breakfast (Neels teaching us some delicious tricks) and the potjie supper where both Martie and Neels demonstrated that expertise is to them a normal commodity. :clap: :clap: :clap:

To witness click click's superb photographic results on her first sightings of cheetah was also breath taking. :cam: :thumbs_up: :clap:

I will remember the two days spent together for the wonderful people I met with great happiness, poignant sadness and deep gratitude until the day I actually expire. :D

Expire needs a bit of elaboration and almost caused Chappie and I to spend our time in Pongola prison rather than KNP, when the SAP constable on border duty at Golela discovered that both of our drivers licenses had expired. One month and three months respectively before our border crossing. Some sweet talk ($#@*&%) :evil: and a promise to pay the fine of R1000 :slap: on our return trip, allowed our journey to proceed to its ecstatic and gratifying conclusion. :D :dance: :D :dance:

Many thanks Neels for inviting us to participate on your thread. :thumbs_up:

To see good, a man must be good.
Plato 447 BC to 327 BC

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

First of all thank you VVSG for writing the report for us and reliving those few precious days in Kruger!! Think I must start my contribution here clarifying a few issues…

I just could not see myself being in South Africa and not going to Kruger. I needed to clear my head, find my soul, see friends, but most of all I wanted peace!! Organizing and finalizing a wedding and a divorce at the same time was REALLY not FUN! And with that one morning I looked at availability, and this trip was born!!! :D

A quick email to VVSG, skype call to click click, the Chappies as well as Norma and John (aka The Supervisor) and all was taking shape! The Chappies already had a holiday planned at Ngwenya Lodge for the same period and John was on the phone to reservations immediately and they booked camping at Skukuza for the period that I was going to be in Kruger…as always, reservations are made to be changed! And this time was no exception!

A quick call to Talamati camp and they confirmed that it was no problem providing an extra mattress and so it was decided that Norma and John will join us for the 2 days at Talamati. Then we decided to invite aunty Dot along (referred to in this report as having a few “Wobbles”) but we only had a 4 bed cottage at Shimuwini and could change 2 days to a 5 bed, but not the first night, nothing available…The brain power of click click clicked in and a call to VVSG and SO confirmed that we will be staying the night at Shipandane Hide!! Aunty Dot will stay at Mopani for the night and we can have our first ever experience sleeping in a hide!!

This was our final itinerary!!
October 19 & 20 – Talamati – Mgoddard, VVSG & SO, click click and aunty Dot, Norma and John
October 21 – Shipandane Hide – Mgoddard, VVSG & SO and click click
October 22 & 23 – Shimuwini – Mgoddard, VVSG & SO, click click and aunty Dot
October 24 & 25 – Skukuza – All as per first night and added this time The Chappies
October 26 0 BnD - Mgoddard, VVSG & SO, click click and aunty Dot

Shopping lists were made and exchanged and I must thank click click and Hippohollow for all their efforts and time in doing all the shopping. I was leaving CT on Monday, 18th after the wedding on the 16th and leaving for Kruger early morning on the 19th, no time for any shopping except buying the Hansa’s in Nelspruit!! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow, what a pleasant surprise, thank you all for commenting so positively and I hope that the trip report will exceed your expectations. Excuse me for not naming everybody personally, it would fill the page.

A special welcome to my fellow travellers, Mgoddard, chappie, Macchappie and click click.

Nannie, if Jan spies could hear you now, he would turn in his grave, what a legend to be compared to, and I am honoured.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

E-mails with suggestions, info, instruction and ‘we can’t wait any longer” is shared between Martie, Annette and Mari. Menus are perfected, shopping lists drawn up and re-done. It is decided that Mari and I will do the meat while Annette looks after the veggies and stuff. Everybody will cater for their own cold ones. Soon our lounge looks like a grocery cum liquor store and as the piles of goodies grow, I wonder where we will find space for everything, meat for 5 for 6 days are neatly packed in the deep freeze, ready to be transferred to the camping fridge.

Time is going to slow and SO and I decide to check availability in Satara from 16 to 19 October, we are in luck. :clap: :dance:

Eventually Friday evening arrives and we can start packing the camping bakkie, which is also my only bakkie. It is a Mazda BT50 2.5 TD 2x4 with a self-built aluminum canopy fitted with shelves for crates of goodies. The tent, gazebo, chairs, gas bottles and blow up mattress are permanently in the canopy. This makes it very easy for us to sneak off to Kruger on a Friday afternoon.

After packing everything, the bakkie looks like a Mozambican vehicle going home from the mines, during December holidays. All that is left is the freezer with the meat that is left for the next morning. Our friends, who will stay at our house and look after the dogs, arrive. We chat for a while before we hit the sack.

Saturday arrives bright and clear and we can’t wait to hit the road. All is packed and we arrive at Malelane Gate at around 6:30, later than expected but hey, we are here now. We linger on the bridge watching the crocs on the banks and the fish hovering in the swift current with slow sweeps of their tails.

Check in is friendly and efficient and we drive into paradise just after 6:45…..

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for the comments we really appreciate it! I know that many of you read the blog during my time in Kruger and hopefully are dying to hear all about the wedding and see some pictures!!

So, while VVSG and SO are standing on the bridge at Malelane Gate and admiring the crocodiles and birds, we are all running around getting organized and ready for the wedding!!

While the bride was having a relaxing massage, pedicure, manicure and all kinds of pampering, I was running up and down the 3 story guest house we had booked for the weekend making sure the bride, bridesmaids, make-up artists, hairdressers and photographer got something to eat and drink!! My slot for the above was booked for 1pm and it was just natural to be in charge of the champagne/orange juice and the food!! (Something I enjoyed very much)

I eventually left for the church just before 4pm, which was in Franschoek and the rest of the entourage left shortly after. (I want to thank click click for taking all these pictures, I was definitely not going to walk around with a camera while my first baby was getting married)!!

This is a picture of the church

In a wink of an eye she was coming down the aisle, my throat was closing up, I felt so proud of her, what a beautiful bride she was!! I smiled at her as she was given away by her father and turned away so she would not see the tear in my eye!! (Silly Me!!) The service was beautiful and too quick the minister announced them husband and wife!

The happy couple just after they stepped out of the church!!

The reception was held at Backberg wine estate and I can only tell you that the service and food was out of this world!! Truly fitting for a wedding of such a beautiful and wonderful daughter!
Now I know that most of you have only seen me in my “bush mode”, so let me surprise you and show you what I really look like when Im in civilization!!!

And lastly a picture of Mother and Bride!!!

I hope you all enjoyed reading a bit and seeing some pictures of the wedding!! With that I will let VVSG carry on with his Kruger trip until we joined up later in the week!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:17 pm 

I have once again caught the "Forum Fever", so I have been delegated the job today of contributing Chappie and my two cents worth. :doh:

Martie, it was lovely to see the wedding photos again and the great happiness such an occassion brings. And I must say you did look stunning, as well as your daughter. :clap:

VVSG and Hippohollow, please keep your Mozambique taxi moving in the right direction or we may never be able to join you. :slap:

As for us chappies, we were in fairly relaxed mode at our Ngwenya paradise, after avoiding a spell in gaol, and had the great pleasure of sharing a breakfast with Normana53 and Torticat at Croc. Bridge. Norms wreaked havoc on my sleeping routine by kindly donating me several sachets of Starbucks (VERY strong) instant coffee. :roll:

We also had a most pleasant visit from that Meandering mouse, who it seems was not as well as she looked. :(

These visits and our own visits to KNP through Croc. Bridge helped to pass the time in a most pleasurable manner, while we anticipated the Skukuza reunion. :thumbs_up:

To see good, a man must be good.
Plato 447 BC to 327 BC

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks to everyone for commenting and enjoying this trip with us!

So on Saturday morning while VVSG & SO enters the Park through Malelane Gate, I was high in the sky on my way to Cape Town for the wedding… I was officially on holiday and extremely excited about what awaits for the next 2 weeks. At home everything was sorted and ready to be packed into the car when I get back on Monday. Over the weekend Aunty Dot would be making and baking all kinds of tasty things for the road.

On my arrival in Cape Town I went to Spier to visit Eagle encounters and Cheetah outreach, 2 amazing rehabilitation centres. What an amazing experience and I had the opportunity to stroke Enigma and he started to purr like a cat! Unbelievable!

Image bigger pic

Then off to Franschhoek for the wedding! The weather in the Cape was perfect and it was so nice to drive through the beautiful mountains.

Next was my joyous reunion with Martie!! It was very nice to see her again, and she looked so pretty! The wedding and reception was out of this world to put it mildly…

That's it from me for now, see you again in Kruger! ;)

16-19 May 2013: Sand River Bush Camp, KNP
22-25 June 2013: Talamati Bush Camp, KNP

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your comments, it is most appreciated. Martie certainly looked stunning in her civilian garb and Megan was the perfect bride. May they live happily ever after. :clap: :D

On towards Satara.... while Martie and click click are enjoying the luxuries of Cape Town

Just inside the gate we stop briefly, a quick SMS message to Martie to wish them well on the most important day of Megan’s life.

Windows roll down and Kruger invades our bakkie with the smell of early morning dew mingled with the strong smell of buffalo, apparently close, but out of sight in the dense shrubs. Their droppings on the tar road bears witness to there earlier crossing towards the river. We continue slowly to drink in the atmosphere and accustom our eyes to the new surroundings.

At the B&D turnoff, we search the veld intensively, from tree top to dense bush for any sign of the local leopard. The veld reveals nothing and we soon reach the bridge over Matjulu spruit. We always park on the bridge as we have had many an interesting sighting in the riverbed, including Nyala, lion, leopard and huge herds of buffalo. The only entertainment this morning is a troop of baboons, noisily waking up in the tree next to the bridge. The little wooden cross reminds us of the dangers of getting out of your vehicle in unprotected areas. This is the spot where, a few years ago, a tour guide was killed by a leopard.

While parked on the bridge, we were told that the male lions of B&D were seen on the S110, at the junction with the S120. Seeing that it was only 5km, we decided that the detour would be worth our while. We drove along the Matjulu spruit where we found a lot of general game in the riverbed. We reached the junction but still no lions. We decided to drive over the next hill before we make a u-turn as the lions obviously moved on. Just over the hill, a car was parked next to the road. After carefully examining the tall grasses, we found the lions lying low about 20 meters from the road. All one could see was parts of their manes, swaying in unison with the grass seeds, in the gentle breeze. They were going nowhere while we were going to Satara, so we left them behind.

We drove over Steilberg and found more lion near the end of the S120. They were far off, behind some sparse trees, feeding on a giraffe carcass. It’s not even 8:30 and we have smelled one and seen one of the big five.

We haven’t had any photo opportunities yet and I can’t wait to experiment with my new toy. Just before we left I bought a Canon EOS 450D with a 15-55 and a 75-300mm zoom lens.

We turned left on the H3 and our excitement grew as we moved deeper into paradise, away from the hectic commercial life we endure every day. Impala and zebra dominate the scenery with the occasional giraffe and warthog. Steenbokkies peek through thickets or scamper away over burnt veld when we approach.

We have our usual pit stop at Afsaal before we head north. At Kwaggaspan, two lonely zebra cautiously approach the waterhole to quench their thirst. We park at the side of the road, and wait for them to reach the water. After much nervous shaking of their heads, sniffing the breeze with flared nostrils, they build up enough courage to have a long cool drink…..

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh My, the new website looks awesome, :D but it is driving me insane!!! I cant find anything and when I do I have only half a screen displaying making me look for my glasses and trying to squint through one eye to actually see what Im doing :( I know its the beginning of a new era and can imagine the interns or web fundies trying to sort out the probems and my heart goes out to you as you have done an awesome job with the home page, but please get the forum pages sorted out soon!!! :(

As VVSG and SO is enjoying their XMas party and having a weekend off I thought it appropriate to thank all those who have commented on this "Tale" for their input....so many of you I have missed so much over the last few months...and most of all...IT FEELS GREAT to be BACK on this wonderful site and FORUM!!! :D

So many familiar names reading this tale...Rusky, so nice to hear from you and see that you still here, Leelee.....things in life are never guaranteed.....it happens, no matter how much we love a person...it can go wrong.... :roll: nothing we can do about it, we do not control our own lifes...things happen for a reason....Elsa, Chip, Sanparkfan, fenwickh,leeleee , lowveldboy, .....oh my the replies dissapeared again :evil: ...so if I did not mention you, please know I saw your name....but I do remember Norms...(so sorry I did not meet up with you during this time...it would have meant a lot to me :( maybe next year September would be good!

I met so many of you who read the blog, but never joined this forum...I hope that when I meet you again I can convince you to become part of this family as you will never be sorry!!!!.... The people I met willl have to wait to be mentioned until we meet up with VVSG in 2 days time.....lets see what they saw while we were in CT and they had the privilidge of being in Kruger

Again, thank u for the replies and I hope you going to enjoy this ride.....not with my pics as I was not in the mood to take any pics. :redface: ...all I wanted was to smell Kruger and sit around doing nothing when it suited me.....and then have the company that I enjoyed so much.....

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At the H3 and H1-1 junction we look out for the local Klipspringertjies, but they are nowhere to be seen. One sometimes get silly looks from fellow travelers, who, expecting to find the leopard you are peering at, when they realise that you are searching for some sort of antelope. The road towards Skukuza is empty of animal life, at De Laporte’s waterhole, a few heavily pregnant Impalas nibbles at the few green sprouts.

We head on to Skukuza, and a quick call to Whacktazz, but they are not home, he just settled into his new job in the Hazyview area. We make a date for next time and head on north after a quick pit stop at Skukuza.

Contrary to our usual routine, we turn left at theH4-1 junction, towards the H2-1 road. In December 2009, I informed Martie of a leopard on this road, but as I was towing a caravan, it was difficult to find a parking spot. Martie and her girls found the leopard and after a lot of patients, they witnessed the leopard hunting and killing an impala.

We passed by the spot that now resembles a peaceful pasture with waterbuck grazing in the shade of the trees.

Just past the turn-off to the airfield we find three Ground Hornbill on the hunt. It is my first real opportunity to test my skills with the new Canon. As I press the button, the object of my picture takes off and collides with a small tree, merely three meters tall. The bird gets all tangled in the branches before it flutters back to mother earth. Silly bird, the shutter noise is not that loud!!! The picture frame ends up a fuss of unfocused black stuff. It’s only when the remaining two birds attacks my “nervous subject” that I realize that it caught something in the tree. If you look carefully, you’ll see the gecko dangling from his beak.

A distant rhino and a lot of ellies in the riverbed complete our drive to the Manzimahle dam.

A herd of buffalo, 300 + strong block our progress. We reach them as the front-rankers starts to cross the road; I park on the side of the road to watch the spectacle. They are nervous at first but get bolder as more and more pour over the road. Soon they are all around us. This is Kruger at its best; animals have the right of way. At last the rear guard cross and we can be on our way again. We are now up to four of the big five. It is not our aim to find the big five, but if we do, so much better.

A second family of hornbills patrols the dry grasses looking for morsels to eat.

It is now mid-morning and most animals are seeking shelter from the hot Lowveld sun. Just before Leeupan we see cars parked at the side of the road. The vegetation is dense with large trees in the dry riverbeds. It must be a LIT, number 5 of the big 5………but no…..

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You make us feel like we are in Kruger again, VVSG :D

We can almost smell those buffies.

Hornbills are so interesting. We spent a fascinating 30 odd mins watching one feed on a small tortoise. He skillfully removed the flesh from within the shell despite his beak being much larger than the shell :shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Very nice pics VVSG :D :clap: Maybe one day we can convince your SO to also post a few of her pics which she now take with the "2nd Hand camera" :D

Nice report written just the way I know you...thank you, but how can you keep us all in suspense :naughty: .....common.....tell us what you saw

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next