Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: steamtrainfan 3 NIGHTS 4 DAYS IN KRUGER Nov 2010
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At last the time has arrived. Tomorrow morning very early we leave for 2 nights at Lower Sabie and 1 night at Croc Bridge. My son is out from the UK and his friend from SA will be joining us. In at Phabeni Gate and a stop at Lake Panic is a must. Then a slow drive down to Lower Sabie. We really hope that when we get back that we can submit a fantastic T.R.

Post subject: Re: 3 NIGHTS 4 DAYS IN KRUGER
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Got back yesterday afternoon. Some amazing sightings including 6 male lions together on the S28 without any females. We must now sort through some 1400 photos, pick the ones we want and then start the TR. Nice to have met Fred van Heerden and Trish and family. Fred, did you see that huge herd of buffalo on the S29? Trish, weren't those 6 male lions magnificent animals? Chat to all later for Day 1 of our trip.

Post subject: Re: 3 NIGHTS 4 DAYS IN KRUGER = BIG 5 SIGHTINGS
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At last, between Telkom keeping me off line and my son from the UK hogging the PC all the time I can get down to writing my T.R. One small matter - can I remember how to upload photos onto this page :doh:

DSC_1155 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr[/img]

Lets see if this works.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Okey dokey - I have been practicing and can now upload photos so lets get started.

DAY 1 - TUESDAY 23 NOVEMBER 2010

Left home bright and early. Stopped at Millys for breakfast. I must say that my little Corolla 1400 did find the upgrades a bit heavy with 4 adults and their luggage and food for 4 days loaded up. Arrived at Phabeni gate at 10:45. After sorting out cameras, seating and putting my yellow ribbon on my beesting aerial we set off. The first thing we noticed was how green the park was. It was almost a luminous green. Joan and I normally go in August and have never seen the park like this before. What an amazing transformation from August when all this area was burnt until now. Our first sighting was a rock monitor crossing the road ahead of us. By the time we got to him he had dissappeared into the grass. Turned left onto the S3. Saw impala with young, warthog and this lone buffalo.

DSC_1155 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Also came across this bird - not sure what it is.

DSC_1171.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Sorry my page is bouncing up and down already . Will submit this as is.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DAY 1 CONTINUED:

Joined the S1 and turned right on to H1-1 towards Skukuza. About 3 km's from Skukuza we came across a bit of a traffic jam with everybody peering into the bush on the opposite side of the road. Went past, did u-turn and waited our turn. We were told that there was a leopard in the culvert. Eventually got to a spot and this is what we could see;

DSC_1204 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

After a few minutes the leopard walked off further into the bush. Talk about making it in the nick of time. We then went to Lake Panic. It was now 12:30. A few shots of what we saw:

DSC_1212 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1227.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
DSC_1235.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
DSC_1247.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Continued on next page.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After Lake Panic, the viewing had built up our appetites, we headed off to the Skukuza day visitors area for lunch. Here are the 4 of us - excuse the table not being cleared.

Kruger 2010_0160 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
From left: Me, Joan, Graham(Kens friend) and Ken our son.

We then made our way down to Lower Sabie via the H4-1. Here some of our sightings:

Kruger 2010_0166 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
This Ground Hornbill had found a very large snail.

DSC_1265 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
Oh man. that snail was just so good it made my hair stand on end.

Kruger 2010_0183 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
This ele had everyone reversing back to Lower Sabie. Fortunately we had got in front of him before he came onto the road.

DSC_1256.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr
Got this late afternoon shot of a Woodland Kingfisher.

Continued on next page.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DAY 1 CONTINUED:

Continuing on down the tar road toward Lower Sabie we approached the Lubyelubye River bridge with its beautiful rocks on the Sabie River side of the bridge. I said to my son that in all our years of coming to Kruger we had never seen a lion on these rocks as it was such a perfect place to see lion. He then siad to me " There is a lion on the rocks for you". By now we had stopped on the bridge. It was not a lion but a leopard. We could just see its head above the rocks. We reversed back to the little inlet on the Skukuza side of the bridge. There was another car parked there with a pair of binoculars sticking out the window. We could see this leopard clearly from here. It was now 17:35 and cloud was beginning to creep over the sun. We sat there for 45 minutes watching this beautiful creature sleeping on the rock and then beginning to wake up. During this 45 minutes so many cars just whizzed past on the tar road without seeing the leopard. I suppose with only two cars parked in the inlet nobody thought anything of it. Please forgive the quality of the photos but the light was very bad and against a grey sky. The photos are in sequence as we watched her. We have lot more but these are the better ones.

DSC_1280.1 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1292.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1306.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1323.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1334.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1343.2JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

As it was now 18:15 we had to leave in order to check in to Lower Sabie.. What an amazing first half a day.

Day 2 to follow next week. Until then, thank you for taking time to read my T.R. and keep well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DAY 2 - WEDNESDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2010.

This morning dawned dull, drizzly and cold. From a maximum of 37 yesterday to a maximum of 22 today. Caught this fellow on our way out of camp.

Kruger 2010_0211.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Took the tar road up to Tshokwane for breakfast. Not much seen except for this Waterbuck who posed so nicely for us.

DSC_1369 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Is this a Brown Snake Eagle? It seems as if every raptor we saw was a Brown Snake Eagle.

DSC_1375.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1381 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1390 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

After breakfast we headed back to Lower Sabie via the H10 and popped in at Orpen Dam. Saw a few hippo wallowing in the water. Continued on the H10 and then turned off onto the S128. Got these Ostriches trotting across the veld.

DSC_1411 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

A shortwhile later we came across 2 huge elephant about a kilometre apart. Does anyone know if these two have names?

DSC_1417 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

The first one had only one tusk.

DSC_1422 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

And the second one had both tusks.

DSC_1430.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

From the BIG to the TINY.

DSC_1436 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1439 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Is this yet another Brown Snake Eagle?

DSC_1455.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

A Giant Kingfisher at the low level bridge south of Lower Sabie.

DSC_1458.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Arrived back at Lower Sabie where Joan spotted a bat and a Paradise Flycatcher sharing the same tree right by our hut.

DSC_1461 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1470 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Not much more seen today. It seems as if the rain and wind kept a lot of the animals under cover.

Until next time stay safe.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks very much to all for their positive comments and for taking the time to read my T.R. I have read all your comments and really appreciate what you say. My son left for London tonight so I have not had much of chance to keep a daily reply to all of you but please know that I have read and really appreciate your responses.

DAY 3 - THURSDAY 25 NOVEMBER 2010.

Today we move off down to Crocodile Bridge. We took the S82 where we got a shot of this bird that looks sort of like a roller, but which one?

DSC_1479.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

We also saw this Impala getting his early morning beauty treatment.

DSC_1492.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Once we reached the tar road H4-2 we doubled back toward Lower Sabie to the S130 and then onto the S137 to look for Duke. Instead of Duke we came across 2 secretary birds but could only snap this one as when we stopped the car they would run off into the veld.

DSC_1513.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

We also got this zebra giving us the beady eye.

DSC_1528.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

And also this lovely plant.

DSC_1535 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

No sign of Duke so moved on to the waterhole close to the intersection of S137 and S28 . Just a few hippo wallowing in the water. We were still determined to find Duke so we went back on S137. This shot of a Woodland Kingfisher was taking at the small drift just after the turn off to Duke waterhole.

DSC_1573.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Turned left onto the S130. Here we saw a rhino walking in the road in front of us in the same direction so the view we had did not make for good photography. After about a kilometre he headed off into the bush and we manged to get a shot of him in a clearing.

DSC_1551.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Here we also came across our favourite tree. We just love the shape and the position of this tree in the middle of the road.

DSC_1556 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

A short while later some very kind folk stopped us and told us of 6 lion on the S28 lying right next to the road. We decided, as nature was calling and it was near lunch time, to stop in at Crocodile Bridge and then go look for the lion. On our way to camp we saw this magnificent Kudu.

DSC_1568 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Bladders empty, tummys full we headed off on the S28 to find the lion. On our way to the lion we came across 2 rhino who looked as if they were going to have a bit of a disagreemnet.

DSC_1579.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Maybe the one was a bit cranky because he was suffering from a severe case of piles.

DSC_1586.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

At last we came across the 6 lion a few kilometres from the S137 junction. We had been so close this morning. Herewith a few shots of these lion but unfortunately we could not get all 6 into 1 shot. Can anyone tell why there were 6 male lion together without any lioness in sight. We decided to name these guys " The Gay Pride".

DSC_1621.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1625.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

This one seemed to be blind in one eye. Any ideas?

DSC_1626.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

We must have sat and watched these fellas for at least 3 hours, hoping that they would get up and do something. At last it became too late to stay amy longer. But we did catch these two sunset pics on the way back.

Kruger 2010_0292 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DSC_1629 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Only in Africa can you capture such beautiful sunsets.

Thanks very much for joining me again and until tomorrow - keep well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bushcraft - What a pleasure to hear from you again. Thanks so much for joining us and your kind comments. I hope you little one is still in remission. Joan and I are still thinking of you and your loved ones.

Kamadejo - Thanks so much for your comments. I am still hoping that a lion expert will read this thread and advise us of these 6 male lion.

To start off with we go back to the lions as I have found two more photos of them. Here are 5 of them with the sixth one lying off to the left. Unfortunately Joan could not fit all six into the frame.

DSC_1588 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Ain't I such a cute little "puddy tat"??????

DSC_1605 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

DAY 4 - FRIDAY 26 NOVEMBER 2010

We left camp just after 05:00 and took the Crocodile River Road. Just could not resist this sunrise shot just outside camp.

Kruger 2010_0300 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Popped in at Hippo Pools but nothing to be seen. Joining up with the main road again we came across this hyena who seemed to have got a clout on the snout.

DSC_1649.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Kruger 2010_0306 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

The early morning light along this road is truly amazing. Sometimes it seemd as if we were in Fantasyland.

The Magic Pool.

Kruger 2010_0312 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

The Fairies Forest.

Kruger 2010_0315 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

A little further along Joan got her best shot of a Fish Eagle yet.

DSC_1682.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Then we got this hippo playing "I spy with my little eye."

DSC_1692 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Then this ele held us up for about 20 minutes while he stood in the middle of the road doing absolutely nothing. He eventually moved a liitle way into the bush and we moved on in case he changed his mind and came into the road again.

DSC_1700 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

We turned onto the Mlambane Loop and made for Gardenia Hide to have some breakfast. Along the way Joan got this shot of a Bataleur. Another first and best shot so far.

DSC_1703.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

At Gardenia Hide we got this juvenile crocodile basking in the mid morning sun.

DSC_1710 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Along the S118 we saw this Daddy Impala keeping a close eye on some youngsters - could they be twins????

DSC_1721 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Our final shot was of these beautiful Barberton Daisies. The burnt orange colour of the flowers with the green of the grass looked just so amazing.

DSC_1727.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Well thats ir for this trip. Thanks so much for taking the time to join us. Our next trip will be in August 2011. Until then we wish you and your loved ones a very Happy and Blessed Christmas and may 2011 be all that you wish it to be. Travel save and stay healthy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:23 am 

Hi steamtrainfan, sorry for only ready your TR now. Been doing allot of catch-up on the TR and some off them was over 30 pages to catch on :wall: . Love your photo’s. :thumbs_up: See you are using n Nikon D90 and 500mm lens. May I ask with make?......

Then to help with some of your Questions.... :hmz:

steamtrainfan said:
Quote:
Is this yet another Brown Snake Eagle?

DSC_1455.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

This is A Tawny eagle.....You will some times find them with Bateleur as both species are scavengers and they are normally the ones first finding dead animals. They then tend to wait for the vulture to arrive and open up the carcass and then pick of on the scraps that the vulture drop during there feeding times... So next time you see them and there are a couple with a bateleur near by, look around because the chance are good there something dead in the area....

steamtrainfan said:
Quote:
At last we came across the 6 lion a few kilometers from the S137 junction. We had been so close this morning. Herewith a few shots of these lion but unfortunately we could not get all 6 into 1 shot. Can anyone tell why there were 6 male lion together without any lioness in sight. We decided to name these guys " The Gay Pride".

This was a good sighting of 6 good looking males. Is not un usually to find 3 or more male lions to form a coalition. All these males where from one pride but not to say they are all brothers. They tend to stick together, ones they get chase out off the pride by the dominant males after they reach an age of 22 to 26 months depending on how tolerant the current dominant males of that pride is. One chased out they have to look after them self and normally it is very difficult for these male to survived on there own. They then stick together to make hunting easier and normally end up hunting more buffalo than other game as they are not that fast. Now with this number of young males together it would have made live much easier to hunt buffalo than what it would have been for 1 or 2 males. Because of this, they thend to form a strong bond develop between these males and they tend to stick together for live. What is amazing as that 6 of them have survive to this age as allot of young lions die of starveling or get killed by other lions or Buffalo when they try to hunt them. But what I am trying to get to here that it is not un common to find a couple of males together. Yes 6 is a big number and in Kruger terms it is more common seeing 2 or three, but there are a couple of place you will have coalitions of 4,5 and in your case 6 together. As other forum members have said that there are the coalition of 5 at BnD. When I was guiding we had coalition of 5 at the Mpondo dam area and also leeupan. Also a pride of 22 together on the S41 close to Gudzani windmill and we had 6 males as well in that pride. Is not common but it does accord and it is rare. It just make the chance of survival and be dominant in pride for them better, the more males they are that do stick together. Hope you understand what I am trying to say........

steamtrainfan said:
Quote:
Today we move off down to Crocodile Bridge. We took the S82 where we got a shot of this bird that looks sort of like a roller, but which one?

DSC_1479.1JPG (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Steamtrain fan this is a European Roller and it is a migrant and only seen in KNP in summer month...

Well that is it from me hope I could help.... :D

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry Dirk - to answer your question. My wife has the Sigma 150-500 lens.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]