Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leachy-24deg 00’ 16.29” S 31deg 44’ 31.85” E - Nov 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

having stumbled across 4 days to spare in an otherwise busy time of year i searched and found 4 nights in a perimiter chalet on the top of the hill,, spot on 24 deg 00’ 16.29” S 31 deg 44’ 31.85” E overlooking the “not crocodile river” aka the oilfants river.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

these four nights , just by the way, cost me as much as the money i earn for one month’s rental of my four bedroom house in sabie (so think to yourself “ it must be quite a dump :hmz: ”)

having arrived at phabeni at 08:00 and filled in that silly little form :? that one only seems to need south of paul kruger, my first stop point was the old “albasini place”. just as well that the old transvaal republic took this area away from the portuguese traders. you gotta see the mess he made of the place :wink: :wink:

it is here that the ritual begins because you may alight from the vehicle and get the billies and pistachios out the back and unpack the cameras :cam: :cam: and fit the lenses and get the bird book and binocs all ready and strategically placed within easy reach.

also of vital importance is to check the packing of the zamaleks :lol: :lol: and the ice level in the cooler and to get the “hand warmer” safely placed in the cup holder. 8)

i was told that the day could turn into a steamer so i even packed some water :shock: as one does not want to suffer from dehydration.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

i had arrived...........................................................................

so where was i ?

Post subject: Re: 24deg 00’ 16.29” S 31deg 44’ 31.85” E - 04/11/10 - 08/11/10
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

having left a bewildered attendant at albasini’s place i headed on down the doispane road.

the first friendly faces to greet me (besides the friendly security man at the phabeni gate with the silly forms) were these “red goats” who seemed to be vying for a spot under shade at this early stage of the day.

suppose it is not really early for them ‘cause they have been awake since about 4 am.

as you can see the greenery is quite green and there was water in this, the first stream (name not known by me) that one crosses after the intersection with the albasini road (s3)

the water level also seemed fairly ample at nyamundwa dam.

so,,, it seemed, at the time, that all the stories of drought and desolation that i had been hearing were totally unfounded

there seemed to me to more water than sand in the sand river.

but all was not as it seemed.......... :big_eyes: :big_eyes: and it was revealed to me having just crossed the sand river en route to tshokwane

i did not realize how much “controlled burning” there had been around this area as it was burnt all the way to and beyond tshokwane and was in fact still smoldering in many places

there were some interesting ash sculptures

it was like being around nagasaki and hiroshima after the enola gay had been past
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:| :| :| :| :|

so having sat in the quiet desolation of “ground zero” for a while,, reflecting on death and destruction,,, :( :( :( :( the only thing i imagined i saw was a burntnecked eremomela

:lol:

i sauntered on through the smoke via the parched, dry and desolate jones’ dam

and then off past tshokwane where there were surprisingly few people and those that were there were merely standing around aimlessly in the shade like most of the animals that were about..............................

(i have since discovered that there was no water available anywhere there at all and that the spot was actually officially closed.... :? :? :? :? :? :? .... i should have stopped to see if the vervets were perhaps picketing in a demonstrative reaction to the loss of plundering opportunities)

:wink: :wink:

anyway……by this time the temperature was soaring and the burnt surroundings somehow just made it feel a hell of a lot hotter as i headed on up the H1-3

on arrival at mazithi i was pleasantly surprised to see that there was water in this notoriously “busy” waterhole

a short way up the road were a bunch of vehicles and i was sure that they were not merely marveling at the presence of water so i approached gingerly as i hate crowds and am not one to piggyback on a “roofkyk”

yip…………………………………………………………………………………………….. to be sure there in the distance i could just make out the shape………………………………….................................... of an impala

and then slouched together in the shade were a group of deadly killers doing what they seem to do best most of the daylight hours…………. nothing !!

on my way up north i decided to pop around to the old “kremetart boom” and there i came across more of what many call “flood damage” or “weather related breakages”

but let us be fair :hmz: and not place unfounded blame if we do not have any evidence.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:| :| :|

just before the turn off to the baobab i observed a gathering of rams and bulls in the shade of the island tree at kumana

which as was the case with most water holes was quite parched as well

just after the s100 turn off i had to stop to allow this small group of ellies to cross the road. they were scurrying along at quite a pace as though the black soil was burning their feet.

it reminded me of sometimes when you find yourself at the beach when the sand is so hot that you run across it and at the same time try and make contact with the ground as little as possible by taking small quick steps and find yourself sounding off in discomfort as you scurry along... :big_eyes: “ouch-ouch –eesh – eesh” :big_eyes:

so by now it is midday and seems to be getting hotter

and everyone is trying to find a spot in the shade.

at nyamarhi there was still a little bit of mud and moisture around and the sunblock was being applied liberally

quite a few big chaps around there as well

:|

:|

just after ngotso weir i stopped to admire this wooden sculpture

and to take in this splash of colour at the balule intersection onto the s90

the remainder of my day was spent in the aircon comfort of my R775 p/n chalet as it was at least 40 degrees

the sunset from the bridge facing east showed evidence of some more “controlled burning” happening elsewhere in the vicinity

and westward view was,,,, as always serene

that was the first day out and about in my bestest bestest valley

all that remained now was to light a fire and tan some young sheep meat

the wind picked up quite a lot that night and i was woken in the very early hours by something very loud and moist................................................ oh!! :redface: :redface: :redface: it was only a storm

the morning would yield a totally new vista !!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:) :) :) :) :)

so after a tempestuous night i was awake at 03:30 to be ready to depart at 04:30

:whistle: :whistle:

it was still very dark and seeing (or not seeing) as though i had no spotlight ‘cause i left the charger at home :doh: :doh: :doh:

i made my way directly towards the s39 timbavati road stopping briefly on the bridge as the morning was very overcast but stunningly cool. 8) 8) 8)

on arrival at the timbavati road and finding no tyre tracks on the road ahead gave me an amazing feeling of conquest; :P perhaps the same feeling that stanley felt when he first came across the congo river. :wink: :wink:

my pioneering spirit was, however, short lived when i came to the turn off to the ranger’s house just before goedgegun.

someone had been there before me..... and driven to the pump house at the waterhole, probably to fill the diesel tanks of the lister.

at the waterhole i spotted this young fella lying on the cool cement

he appeared to be peering at himself in the water.

perhaps he was asking his fairy blackbacked godmother :pray: who was the fairest of them all

a short distance up the road is that turn off to the right that goes down to a riverbed below this imposing rocky outcrop.

it was a bit scary down there as the night’s rain had softened the sand quite a lot and in some places my vehicle felt as though it would have to kick into 4 wheel drive mode, but…….. that did not happen… :cry: ….. so my feeling of being on a ground-breaking pioneering overland journey was once again dissolved. :cry:

next stop was the roodewal water hole where these two critters were also seeking the advice from the gods as to who is the fairest of them all

and i think they did not like the answer ‘cause they both left in a huff.

:big_eyes: ( i mean what sort of a question is that anyway??) :big_eyes:

now… just up the road the birding opportunities took a turn ‘cause here was this gorgeous little pearlspotted owl doing a bit of early morning breakfast spotting

and low and behold …… :big_eyes: …….right across the way......... :big_eyes: ...... was small gathering of redbilled oxpeckers

(i have always wondered about that name… :hmz: .. surely by virtue of the fact that an ox is an ox and no longer a bull how can he still have a pecker? perhaps that is why they are always on the lookout for a new “host”. it is like a wandering spirit looking for a final working place (as opposed to “resting place”)) :wall: :wall:

now… :dance: :dance: :dance: … a short distance before the pg dam where you get some of those view spots over the river i came across these two steenbokkies… or…. should that be steenbokke…??? ‘cause i don’t think i have ever seen the diminutive of a steenbok.

this was a rather amusing sight as the horned fellow :twisted: was being just that at the time.

he was displaying, what i can only imagine, must have been some sort of amorous tactics to win over the mating rights of his bokkie :lol: (now i can use the word feely)

here he seems to be lining himself up.... as he darts his tongue out in anticipation of the desired moment :big_eyes:

now… he seems to be extending his foreleg (as used in fore-play) between the thighs of his beloved and the tongue rate seems to be increasing together with his heart rate

but…… she is no easy pushover of a bokkie and briefly moves away a short distance playing “hard to get” :wall: :wall: :wall: (now where have i seen this before???????)

he follows……. and decides to get to know her a bit better…….(had he seen the movie “scent of a woman”?)

she looks very shy :redface: :redface: and seems to be holding out on him in the hope of a bit of privacy during intimacy and he seemed to be pleading with me to stop spoiling his courtship

so i left ………………….

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:| :| :| :|

so …here is hoping that there was a consensual coupling :wink: :wink: :wink:

………… let us move on..... things to do........ places to go

had a brief stop at the pg dam

and at the hide but there was absolutely nothing about…..

except this common duiker

now here is another thing !!!!!!!!!….. I would like to know who is the person who judged this poor creature ? :hmz:

we have just seen two antelope almost “making out” in public and this poor gal is labeled as being common. :huh: :huh: where are the standards ????

so now…. having turned onto the ntomeni road (s127) (did not stop at the picnic spot – too many bush taxis)
to make my way back to my R775 p/n abode i stopped at this “oudtshoorn rooster”

nothing different i thought at first until my eye caught the rustling in the grass and behold a whole bunch of “scouring pads”

their plumage reminds me of those ladies hairstyles with the highlights

and to think that they too will blossom into potential feather dusters.

now.. back on the great north road (h1-4) i spotted this ox pecker ( be gone with you!!!! :twisted: :twisted: mental picture!!!!!)

i think he had eyesight problems as he seemed quite frustrated tying to find ticks on this tree trunk.

now…….. just before the bridge ( no, not the croc river bridge rp !!) i beheld this quirky fellow.

we often hear them for miles sounding off with their
“peep, peep, peep, pipity, pipity, pipity” or sometimes their
“ wak, wak, wak, wuka, wuka, wuka” (soundtrack courtesy of “roberts birds of southern africa. fifth edition 1985 pg 211)

however,,,,, this was the first time that i had heard one doing the “7-15 tongue clicks” (like a zulu!) “Q, Q, Q, Q “ that precede the aforementioned voice calls.

it is really weird ‘cause the click sound does not happen when he opens his bill but only afterwards…. while the bill is open !!!!

very humorous, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: almost as comical as his blackbellied relative

back at the olifants bridge and i see there is a resident kite that was there every day during the 4 days i was there
:shock: :shock:

a handsome specimen :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: ( what do you call a south african astronaut?........ a specimen )

one can get fairly close to him and some cars were actually able to stop right (or left) next to him to take snap shots
:shock: :shock:

when he does take off :cam: :cam:

he swoops around
:o :o

and mingles
:whistle: :whistle:

with the thousands of little swifts ( i think that’s what they are) :hmz: :hmz:

and then ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????
sunset from the viewpoint on my second day

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

(OMG almost halfway through…… but so much more to come)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

eish !!!!!

if there is one lesson that i have learnt while doing my very first trip report is

1) "the more photos one takes the more choices you have to make"
:wall: :wall: :wall:

and............... if there is another lesson i have learnt

2) do not spend too much time with Rp
:sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

the technicians are still busy trying to solve the problem but i fear that there is no solution :cry:
so let us continue.

are we all comfy then?

the night was another loud and wet one and 4:30 was darker than the previous day so i figured i will head off for different and far off lands so i hit the black-top and steered for satara

en route i witnessed for the first time ever a roller “rolling”

:big_eyes: :big_eyes:

i first heard him, ‘cause as you know they are quite loud and i had to look around a bit before i saw him.

he was quite high up and was moving with great velocity and extreme dexterity so photographing him was quite a challenge

as you can see not the greatest pics

in fact you can’t really see him rolling :huh: :huh:

having passed satara i headed for nsemani waterhole where i beheld a large number of R100s

not a bad rack ??????

the general mood of the cache was one of jousting

as it seemed to be taking place amongst many of the young and not so young.

this has got to hurt.

here you can see that the mood was fairly widespread

and at times it looked like a morning school break in an inner-city junior high school.

while i was watching the “barny” the flying squad arrived and did a low level reconnaissance fly by.

they take me back to when as a child i used to visit my grandmother and she had a whole collection of these hanging on the walls of her lounge, right next to the tretchikoff

:redface: :redface: :redface:

this took my viewfinder to this happy chappy who was having such fun in the mud

as i was observing this i found myself writhing around in my carseat

:slap: :slap: :slap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:| :| :|

so i survived my 3 night sojourn back into the park.

thanks for all the good wishes….. that’s what kept me going

i was dragged away from my computer.. kicking and screaming… :wall: :wall: :wall: but at the end of the week-end i actually saw loads and took loads of photos

:cam: :cam:

but i am not allowed to tell you about that trip because i will probably get reprimanded and glared at angrily
:evil: :evil: :evil:
by Rp so I put a snippet on the “your quick 5 day forecast for sightings” thread

so……. having left all the mud rollers (yeah….micetta you are correct... i never caught the roller rolling but managed to get the buff rolling …)

and sparring partners at the waterhole i headed back to my R775 p/n chalet

i encountered this group of guys (i assume that they are all males) having a drink outside satara.

no different to many guys that i know who also gather at satara for drinks, especially before and then during a big rugby game.

anyway …..a short way down the road i heard the distinctive call of a raptor and spotted this chap

who immediately took off so

.. as i am want to do.. i followed him

and he in turn took my attention to what i can only assume was a companion or family member

who was having a bit of a snack.

not too sure what he was snacking on but it had feathers.

he seemed to take very big chunk and then struggled to swallow it

….so much so that it left a huge lump in his neck

for while as he struggled to get it down eventually he seemed fine.

and he let out a gigantic burp !!!!

my next stop was at the first riverside viewpoint after the lookout point on the letaba road…the one under that huge ficus

and look who arrived

a whole forum of them probably heading off for home for the night..

so….. there was this pool of water after the previous night’s rains.

this pool initially became a source of refreshment

but then it turned into a source of exploration and

trepidation for some who didn’t like the wet feeling

and just as a place to interact..

while some just keep to the side and help each other out

then.. there is always one guy who, when others are socializing around the pool area, will decide that he must run and jump into the water creating a splash over the others (we used to call it a “bomb”)

then.. there is always the guy who decides it his calling to reprimand the youngster who was just doing what kids do

then… there is the sneaky one who figures he will surprise his buddy

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:22 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Great tawny as well as vervet sequences and very well presented and captured, leachy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

aah geeze guys :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

you say the nicest things.

micetta :thumbs_up:
anne-marie :thumbs_up:
dalene d :thumbs_up:
lowveldboy :thumbs_up:
pumbaa :thumbs_up:
flutterby :thumbs_up:
petra j :thumbs_up:
sanpfan :thumbs_up:
pjw :thumbs_up:
and fanta :thumbs_up:

it is good to have an appreciative bunch like you guys on board......

oh ...... :slap: thanks richprins

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

having left the forumites at play i made a short hop up the road to snap this gorgeous baobab that i had seen one morning earlier but wanted to get it with light shining onto it

that is what a baobab looks like with foliage

on my way back to the bridge i saw this threesome quite active and vocal

and this was sunset on the 3rd evening

my third night at my R775 p/n establishment was almost the same as the previous two nights...

wood fire, :)

malted hops and barley, 8)

some stuff wrapped in foil :? :? and slices of tender young sheep :o :o

and all my neighbours leaving the outside light of there establishment turned on :evil: :evil:

regardless of whether they are outside or inside or even there at all.. :evil: :evil:

the one difference was that i interacted with one of my neighbours.

these folk were staying 3 spots up from me and they were easily noticed on arrival

because they brought their own trumpeter hornbill along with them :wall: :wall:

they were an indian family !!!!!!!…….. i know this because

(select one) :

a) there were about 5 of them and i know how many beds there are in those places
b) there were shiny mags and loads of bling on their citi golf
c) the mother of the wailing infant and her sisters and her cousin’s sister were all stunningly beautifull
d) they were giving away free stuff (thanks again mohamed)

neither of the above !!!!!!!!!

i know this because I had a long conversation with one fellow when he came to borrow my matches so that they too could light their pyre

……… i mean fire !!!!! :slap: :slap: :slap:

that night also yielded a decent amount of rain accompanied with high winds and sheet lightning all along the eastern horizon..................

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

the next day dawned a cold dark miserable one :( :(

so i went back to sleep

i was woken by the thatch technicians that were busy renovating the roof structure of a unit 3 down from me so I did the morning routines and hit the road

as i have said it was dull

i did however manage to catch this young lady as she was returning from the hairdresser.

i therefore returned back to my R775 p/n establishment and sat myself down on the verandah with a bird book :| :|

and some refreshments :wink: :wink: :wink:

at this point i must tell you how i was quite chuffed that i had not picked up any injuries from falling while traversing the distance between my verandah where the fridge and cupboard is and my braai area in the darkness of the night as you might have gathered i am afraid of the light so i don’t use an outside light but merely rely on my trusty headlight.

you may be thinking “so what is the big deal?” :huh: :huh: :huh:

you need to understand the type terrain that i must traverse each time.
:big_eyes: :big_eyes:

it is very steep and very uneven especially in the dark.

see what i mean !!!!!!!!!!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

the late afternoon saw an improvement in lighting conditions so i headed off to the bridge to tackle a challenge a had set for myself. - - -- - - -

- - - - photographing the swifts in flight

but one step better :cam: :cam: :cam:

catching them as they skim the water to drink (or feed???)

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

it took lots of practice shots and lots of time.

the last image i want to share with you

is the face that was looking down at me on my last evening on the olifants river bridge.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]