Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 6
 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: AE Story 46 Best Cheetah sighting ever (I)- p 80 upd 16/10
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm 

Not a day to day TR, stories are based on sightings during our trip

Story 46 – Best Cheetah sighting ever (1)

About 6 weeks before next trip I am going to finish these series of stories by presenting part I and later part II of our best cheetah sighting ever.

Why “Best…..” ? :hmz: :hmz:
It is the combination of facts that makes it the best
- Location , we have had very good cheetah sightings in the south but never in the northern part of kruger. This one was again in our favorite area …Mopani
- Early morning and for more then an hour the cheetah’s just for ourselves at very very short distance down to just a few meters from our car
- The light, their posing , the action (part II) , completely from “waking up” till …?

Unbelievable… :big_eyes: :big_eyes: it’s our 5th day in Kruger and allready two cheetah sightings in the south. We are on our way from Letaba to Mopani and left Letaba very early with Mooiplaas as goal. :)
In my mind the place to be for my beloved tuskers. :dance: :dance:
Driving the main road and forced to stop for a buffalo roadblock. Good morning buffalo… spending some minutes with them and the with some hope / expectation continuing towards Mooiplaas.
Taking S50 , followed by S49. On this road memories came up about the great Roan sightings here.
We were just talking about that and we came closer and closer to the open area Mooiplaas waterhole.

Heyyyy…. What’s that in front of us…? :big_eyes: :big_eyes: Stopping the car and taking our binoculars… No… Yes….Uhhhh…. Really???? :think: :think: Yes….Yepppp… thrills…hearts pounding… A Cheetah !! Here at Mopani ??? :hmz: Wowwwwwwwwww :dance: :dance:

Starting the car and slowly moving forward….
First picture I made was this (If you like proof it was near Mooiplaas) :wink: :wink:

-
-
Just after making this picture a new surprise. Not one but there were two Cheetah’s. number 2 was in the grass enjoying the sunrise

-
-

Still with unbelieve we were looking at them … so beautiful posing at the roadsign :cam: :cam:

-
-
and
-
-

Getting closer and closer…. Nobody else around, just us and them.
What a feeling , how great and spectaculair kruger can be ! I can’t explain I think , but these beautiful cats in the early morning sunshine, no clouds, no other cars, just silence and nature in all her brightness. :) :)

So close to these cats, could almost touch them

-
-

One on the roadsign one in the grass

-
-
and with a little zoom
-
-

The other cheetah in the grass posing for a lovely portrait

-
-

What is in your mind at that moment?
Feeling privileged, feeling happy, special and so lucky again. Looking at each other and saying pffffffffff 7 cheetah’s at 3 locations in 5 days. In an area almost as big as my home country the netherlands and knowing there are just about 200 of them.
Stop thinking and enjoy, they are here and now
Since we were the only ones we could position our car at the right places so loved this position … stalking around for breakfast with “empty” background

-
-
and with some close-up

-
-

The other cheetah jumped on the roadsign smelling who was there before him

-
-

The lookout position was great to photograph him in all his beauty

-
-

Believe me, holding the camera in this situation is like a big big party, waiting for nice posing, waiting what they were doing next but uncertain how long they were about to stay with us. Just one target for them somewhere and they were gone.

But now , zooming in for another portrait
-
-

The cheetah on the roadsign was about jumping off it… oh no… not a target so they would disappear? :doh:

-
-
and
-
-

The other cheetah was laying down in the grass. Woww what a luck so close by, just near the road.

-
-

and for ending part I this close up portrait , what a look !!

-
-

Ending part (I) of this sighting. Part II will follow soon …so to be contiunued

Looking at these pictures and preparing them for this story I had all the pleasure again. Remembering this sighting from minute to minute :D :D

Who said Mopani is for elephants and buffalo ?
Mopani brought us Tsessebe, Roan, Eland and Liechtenstein Hartebeest, African Wildcat, Side striped jackals, Lions, Leopard and now Cheetah’s

We hope you enjoyed part (I) of this story.
Next time part II as last story in this series.

Next trip planned from november 25th till december 15th

Aat & Elly

Many other pictures of last en other trips:
My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com

Last edited by Aat on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: A&E Story 47 -Last story Cheetah's part (II) p83 upd 5/11
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:44 pm 

Not a day to day TR, stories are based on sightings during our trip

LAST Story 47 – Best Cheetah sighting ever (II)

LAST story of our last trip…. Thanks for being with us all the time… thanks for all the comments…. :clap: :clap: :clap:

About 3 weeks before next trip I am going to finish this series of stories by presenting part II of our best cheetah sighting ever.

I ended part I with some close ups of the Cheetah’s. They were very relaxed, sitting in the early morning sunlight and to my opinion they just woke up.

From the roadsigns they started to walk to Mooiplaas waterhole / windmill area.
We followed them and hoped we could spend some more time with them.

Approaching the Mooiplaas waterhole…
-
-

and from our position I could capture both …walking / stalking slowly toards us.

-
-

It is so great to see them walking…perfect bodies…perfect shape…how beautiful !! :) :)

-
-
and
-
-
and
-
-

getting closer and closer to the waterhole .. :dance:

-
-

Then…they decided to lay down…being lazy…yawning…just resting

-
-

and
-
-

Stretching a bit so posing for a nice portrait :cam:

-
-

Sleeping for a while now…. So sitting in the car we were enjoying this scene for some time

-
-

Then… maybe time for some action ? :big_eyes: They were looking at something…and we followed their eyes…

-
-

more body language…

-
-

and more…body language… time for action? :hmz: :hmz:

-
-

Curious where they were looking at…. A small group of wildebeast with some younger ones

-
-

and
-
-

More thrill in the car… hearts pounding… real action…?
Wowwww…. Never seen cheetah’s this way … :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

-
-

more to the ground ..preparing for.. :pray:

-
-

getting flat…into position…eyes focusssed on the young wildebeast

-
-

In the background more animals were watching the scene… :popcorn:

-
-

Then it went fast… the Cheetah’s took off …one cloud of dust , all animals start running …the cheetah’s missed the young wildebeast , protected by the older ones. :whistle:

-
-

-
-

The Cheetah’s were disappointed and walked away into the bush out of sight… :(

Woowwwww…what a sighting. Being with them for a long long time…
Thanks !! :dance: :dance:

Saying goodbye to both a portrait of each of you :cam:

-
-
and the other one
-
-

So … this is the end of part II and all stories of last trip

I like to say thank you to all following the stories and I hope you all enjoyed it
Now thinking and preparing for next trip , starting november 25th.
:gflower: :k

Greets from us and hope to see you around after next trip.

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Aat on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat & Elly -Story 48- What a BEAUTY !! p86 upd 17/12
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:58 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***
This is not a day to day TR, all stories are based on sightings during our last trip from november 26th 2011 till december 14th 2011.

Story 48 – What a Beauty !!

FIRST story of our last trip nov/dec 2011 :D :D
This trip was a birthday present for my beloved wife Elly, who turned 50 during this trip. :k

And what a trip it was… many great, special, beautiful sightings, the weather was good, meeting / making friends in different camps. The special birthday cake made in Satara by wonderful staff in the restaurant kitchen (thanks !!)

Time to start the new series of stories. :wink: :wink:

This story starts when we decided at december 8th to drive the S36. Always been a great road for us with many wonderful sightings in the past.
Nature is beautiful…. We were enjoying the pallet of green, the flowering trees and all these just born impala babies… so tiny, so fragile.

Suddenly my eyes spotted something at the right side of the road, maybe 20 meters from the road and with a better look…. Wowwwww what a surprise. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

A first look at this beauty … male Sable sitting in the grass, very relaxed and like us enjoying life… :dance:

-
-

Afraid this guy would dispappear we made no noice hoping he would stay for some minutes… :pray: :pray: In most cases they are shy and disappear into the bush… but we were lucky this time. He was really posing for us… after I told him he would be on the internet. :wink:

-
-

He moved his head slowly from left to right and back…as a professional model…

-
-
and
-
-

Time to make a close-up of him. More in details…what a set of horns ..wowww… looks like about a meter long :whistle:

-
-

After about 5 minutes posing he decided to stand up and no…he did not walk away immediately but showed himself again this way…. And… just for ourselves , no other cars just a private show. :) :)

-
-

and more in close-up

-
-

Enjoy the last few shots before he walked away into the bush again.

-
-

-
-

Last shot where he was “saying” thanks for joining me and see you again

-
-

This was sure one of the many great and special sightings during this trip. :lol: :lol:

Just before Christmas a story / sighting that fits …

We felt very lucky with this sighting knowing that many are looking for them for years without seeing them.

End of first story of this new series, hope you like it….. many more to come ….

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 49 (new series) A nice surprise !! p87 upd 28
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:09 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***
This is not a day to day TR, all stories are based on sightings during our last trip from november 26th 2011 till december 14th 2011.

Story 49 – A nice surprise

We just visited Mpondo dam with a wonderful sighting of a large herd of Buffalo. On the way back following the S102 and then turn-off to S26/H5, after a few hundred meter we suddenly saw this Lion just near the road.

Very relaxed the lion was kind of posing

-
-

If you see one lion you allways look around if there more, but so far this one was just alone
So a nice opportunity to look at him and making a few more shots

-
-

Just at the moment we were saying to each other he was just on his own some movement 50 meters ahead and another lion showed up, this time a lioness :dance: :dance:

-
-
and
-
-

But family was not complete yet…. With the lioness two cubs showed themselves… :big_eyes:

-
-

The lions were just next to the road. Their position was just a bit higher then road level so we could see them very well and they moved a bit closer so we could almost touch them…

-
-

Moms decided it was enough and with the cubs she disappeared in the ticker bush behind the road…
So back to the other lion who moved to a termite-hill and still relaxed the lion was posing wonderfully

-
-

-
-

With a great yawning by the lion we left this quiet wonderful sighting

-
-

During our trip we have seen over 80 lions so I will write some more stories about them.
It was remarkable that we have seen so many cubs..always a pleasure !!

End of first story of this new series, hope you like it….. many more to come ….

Elly and I wish you a healthy and wonderful 2012

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 50 Encounter with 2 BL Rhino's p88 upd 1/1/12
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:37 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Happy New Year to All !!!! :gflower:

Story 50 – Encounter with 2 Black Rhino’s

Since this is story nr 50 ... would like to have a special one... :) :)

Even it helps just 0,0001 percent against poaching I will not mention the exact loction of this encounter. :naughty: Let’s say it was somewhere in the south

History…I have been many many times in this area in the south, many times driving that little road … many times thinking about seeing black rhino again. Years ago I saw one near this road, but was not able to photograph him. Over the years I have seen lions, leopards and lots of white rhino’s. This year on Elly’s birthday trip and maybe the 5th time this trip I took this gravelroad again. Late afternoon… 1 hour before closing time (18:30) and somehow there was this special thrill in me… not knowing what was going to happen…
And this after a great great day with the so called big 5 and cheetah, was this going to be a Super 7 day ?? :hmz: :hmz:

Driving slowly (what else…) and just after a “corner” something at the right … No…! Yessssssssss…. Immediately recognized…Black Rhino… :dance: :dance: Feeling heart pounding… unsure…are they staying or taking off ? Motor off… window was down…camera check..ready and wowwwwwwww first pictures. :cam: :cam:

Enjoy this sighting with us again…. :popcorn:

-
-

and

-
-

A bit zooming in…

-
-

Pffffffff… what a special feeling… having seen them again…and confirmation to myself…yess all these years driving around for them here…and unbelievable… here they are… lots of feelings going through the mind and body… no… are they leaving ? :big_eyes:

-
-

But nooo… this special day all was going right… they were too curious (specially mother) to leave… she turned again and came closer…slowly walking towards us…pfffffff :) :)

-
-

Mother was getting a bit closer , where was her child ? :hmz:

-
-

There… the youngster was following mom…. As it should be and is described with Black Rhino… child walks Behind mother as one of the differences with white rhino where the babies / youngsters are walking in front of the mother :rtm:

-
-

Mother was still walking slowly towards us

-
-

I was thinking at that moment..are we save…suppose she starts to run …what to do… motor off and probably too late if she starts chasing us….but…mmmhhh maybe once you will see them so good, well and close… so…we stayed…without making any noise… :roll:

-
-

Ohhh my… still approaching …but in a relaxed and I think curious way she came closer and closer…
Could not resist to make more shots… almost close-ups without zooming out…

-
-

She was standing still now… using ears and nose… what was in front of her..? (Hope she likes my aftershave…) :whistle: :whistle:

-
-

Again coming a bit closer …this was maximum… and really… heart pounding… fighting against going away…and making close-up… At that moment stories about attacking / aggressive black rhino’s are going like a flash through your mind… but still convincing Elly and myself that she was relaxed we stayed… :redface: :redface:

-
-

-
-

Maybe hearing a “click” by my camera she took off …wowww… what a speed with turning around and running away…. This wat it ? :pray: :pray:

-
-

No again….mother stopped so child stopped and about 50 meters ahead they started to look again…. Are all mothers (ladies) that curious ??? :lol: :lol:
She just started to check the leaves

-
-

-
-

A few last pictures of posing mother and younster before they left into the bush… It almost looked like saying goodbye :gflower:

-
-

Byeee Black Rhino’s … Thank youuuuu !! :clap: :clap:

-
-

Wowwwwwwwwww…. Amazing…. So lucky…. Elly and I looked into each others eyes and shaked our heads…. Like saying and understanding… impossible but what a day…. We called it Super 7 day…. Returning to camp … quiet and thinking about this special encounter… sometimes laughing and saying..I knew they live here…I knew… and after about 5 years they showed themselves…. for about 10 minutes looking at Black Rhino’s…
It was just our 4th day and this made the trip already unforgettable…

End of this story , first in 2012 , hope you like it….. and… many more to come ….

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 51 - Meeting NGODZI p90 upd 12/1/12
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:43 pm 

Story 51: Meeting Tusker NGODZI

Ok... it is short story this time ...let's say an "in between".
Most of you might know my passion for the (Big) Tuskers so this time putting NGODZI in the spotlights :) :)

December 5th 2011

Driving from Mopani to Letaba I found this named Tusker (NGODZI)

Great to see this tusker again and new for me : He was now close to Letaba, just several km’s from Letaba camp. All other sightings so far were near Mopani, mainly Mooiplaas waterhole.
I have seen him before in previous trips and my eyes were blinking with meeting up again...

I was looking for him in the Mopani area before...but I could not find many this time... spoiled in other trips :wink:
So... looking at him for some time was a great pleasure where other cars just stopped for some seconds before moving on (one could see the expression of disappointment that it was just a elephant bull)
My thoughts : :think: Still lots of "work" to do for me....

-
-

-
-

-

Next "real" story will be about Baby-Boom

Post subject: A&E Story 52 - Baby Boom !! p90 upd 14/1/12
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:27 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 52 – Baby Boom

November – december, known as the baby boom time for Impala’s... but... :whistle: :whistle:

During this trip we have seen many many babies/youngsters but not just Impala.
I think I do not have to add much text so enjoy the little ones I could capture from south to north and back to the south….....

Since I have many pictures I will split this story into part I and II.

Let’s start with the Impala’s :)

On of the first we saw was on our first day in Kruger, november 26th.

-
-
and
-
-

and
-
-

A little bit focussed on the Impala’s but not closing the eyes for other babies.
So next to Impala’s I also like to show you other youngsters who just just opened their eyes with in the background the songs “Born to be wild” and “Ohhh baby baby it’s wild world..” :dance: :dance:

Warthog babies
-
-

Always adorable are the baby elephants… this one so close to us with a very proud and relaxed mother…allowing us to look at her baby from a little distance.
Mommmm…I need some good milk… :tongue:

-
-

Not really a baby anymore but such a lovely young hyena… to cute.. 8)

-
-

Later on… we found a den with about 16 hyena’s but related to this story a mother with 3 youngsters

-
-

In camp the Blue Velvet’s are not always welcome…. But looking at this is letting you say..ohhhhh…. the care…the attention…

-
-
and
-
-

Where you find babies with the antelopes you need some luck with little lion cubs..
What happened … driving from Skukuza towards Lower Sabie…just on the main road halfway… out of nothing a pride came out of the bush , walked a few hundred meters on the main road before leaving in the bush again…about being at the right place at the right time and…. A wonder…. Almost no other cars at the moment… 11.00 o’clock :big_eyes:

-
-

-
-

(later on a story about this pride with all other members)

More Impala babies with their mother or together in small classes… :)

-
-

-
-
and

-
-

-
-

Let’s going north … and near Tihongonyeni waterhole we found this zebra baby..

-
-

-
-

Driving to Mooiplaas along the road a nice surprise with this Tsessebe mother and baby :roll:

-
-

And ending this Part I with a just born wildebeast…. You can even see the umbilical :wink:

-
-

Hope you like this story and as promised a Part II will follow later.

See you later for more stories :gflower:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 53 - Fly Like an Eagle.. p92 upd 24/1/12
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:49 am 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 53 – Fly like an Eagle…..

During our trip we have seen many birds…small and large…

Sometimes lucky when the birds were not too far away but many times too far to make a good picture.
Checking the pictures I made a selection I like to share with you…. I am not a birder , not that familiar with names. Some I think I know but several I just don’t know. If we go into juvenile , pale versions etcetera I get lost… so…my friends ….I need your help

Let’s start with some beautiful eagles we have seen the first few days of our trip

(1)
-
-
(2)
next one was a Martial Eagle.. one of my favourites
-
-
(3)
and this beauty …
-
-

Next to the Eagles we met several birds in or close to water like this one

(4)
Saddle billed Stork
-
-

It was early morning … very early when we left Crocodile Bridge and followed the small road S130 when we saw this Owl…posing so nicely and on the ground , so no branches taking away a good view
(5)
Giant Eagle Owl
-
-

Another great Eagle posing in a tree and checking the area for dinner
(6)

-
-

Conversation between two eagles
(7)
-
-

Majestic…. Arrogant…but great to see the Secretary Bird
(8)

-
-

and completely different near the water this ?
(9)

-
-

Storks spending their holidays in Kruger… one the many we have seen, but this one made a nice pose for the camera.
(10)

-
-

Some birds do have wonderful colours and being lucky with the right light with this one… a Lilac Breated Roller ?
(11)

-
-

Another Martial Eagle. We have seen several in different parts of the Kruger but most too far to make great pics. This one was not that far and good visible
(12)

-
-

Behaviour of birds… sometimes one is able to spot them at the right moment… the “love birds” were “talking” to each other for some time before their first kiss …. :k
(13)

-
-

Not a yellow submarine but a Yellow Billed Stork was trying to catch a fish… funny to see him/her walking in the water , paying attention to a crocodile not far away…
(14)

-
-

I think we all have seen this Pied Kingfisher on or near a bridge…
(15)

-
-

Ducky…Ducky…Ducky…. 3 together made it more special to photograph them… just don’t know their name…but you do I hope
(16)

-
-

In our backyard in Satara this Hoop-Hoop came to see us…
(17)

-
-

Since the titel is about Eagles , another one posing nicely on a
(18)

-
-

Driving the S33 ( I think it was) small and large together on one picture… I was wondering about the small one… a kingfisher Pygmee ??
(19)

-
-
and
-
-

A birds story without the most beautiful Vultures is not complete so two together near one of the dams
The Whiteheaded Vulture
(20)

-
-

Starting with an Eagle and ending the story about the birds with Eagles
(21)

-
-

and
(22)

-
-

I hope you like this Birds episode… next episode about ehhhh :hmz: :hmz:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Re: A&E Story 53 - Fly like an Eagle... p92 upd 24/1/12
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Wonderful feathered friends sequence, Aat,

and indeed so many raptors you got to see, especially tawnies :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is indeed a Malachite kingfisher and the ducks are white-faced ducks (really easy :tongue: ) but nevertheless I always love to spot them. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: A&E Story 54 - A Walk on the Wild side p92 upd 1/2/12
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 54 – Walk on the wild side

Hey all… another title of a story related to a song.
Maybe for this story some words have to be replaced by others… like “Hey babe by Hey cub, take a walk on the wild side”
(for the younger ones…referring to a song by Lou Reed)

I guess most of you know the tarred road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie. Sometimes it’s ok… many times used as racing circuit :evil: and often blocked by many “Hyena’s” looking at a leopard at 100+ meters sleeping in a tree fighting for a spot. :naughty:

We had one of these exceptions this time. Driving from Skukuza to Lower Sabie and road looked almost empty… we were just talking about that. Something like “looks if there will be a road block ahead , almost no cars coming our direction”.
A few minutes later some movement in front of us… animals coming out of the bush at the right side… :big_eyes:
Well, I can try to explain all or just come with us and see what we have seen. And believe it or not but almost till the last moments of this sighting no other cars around. :dance: :dance:

First picture I made to start the story…

-
-

Coming a bit closer and using the zoom as good as possible..

-
-
and
-
-

such a lovely cub deserves a special portrait :cam:

-
-

I had to move the car all the time… since they approached so fast, in reverse…stop the engine, standing still…making pictures….start the car…in reverse….stop ..etc… But it was worth it and we were really happy there was no other car behind us…

Some shots of one of the other ladies

-
-
and

-
-

Oopssss…. Cub in good position …change position and shoot…. :) :)

-
-

Yesss… lionesses and cubs are great…. Male lions just have a bit extra… I mean more hair… :whistle: :whistle:

-
-

Don’t walk that fast please…. Changing position again and still no car in front or behind us… how nice the timing
This time I could make a shot of a part of the family

-
-

Two ladies coming towards me…thanks and a hug…. :k

-
-

And where mother is …the cub could not be far… and follow me with the camera to the right…. The little spoiled single cub was posing … So I left the car and laying down on the road I made this shot….. :wink: :wink:

-
-

Hahahaha… not true !! :tongue: :tongue: There was a few good reasons not to do that…. One was the Sanparks rules and another was the appearance of a second male lion. :big_eyes:

-
-

Don’t think a good idea to meet this guy and to have a “walk on the wild side” with him :hmz: :hmz:

Let me finish this story with a portrait of this beautiful mister

-
-

Some minutes later some other cars came closer and the lions decided to move into the bush again… We were looking at each other and said something like “weird sighting on this busy main road” and left with a big smile. :) :)

Thanks again for joining.
This sighting was one of a number special ones that day. Same day we met the Black Rhino’s (story 50) and …uhhhhh… I leave that for other stories. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Aat&Elly Story 55 - Ellie-Fun-Show p93 upd 11/2/12
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:28 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 55 – Ellie fun show

Hello again,
During this trip we have seen loads of elephants. I don’t know how you think about it, but we always take our time to have a look at them. The behaviour, the social part, the playing youngsters etcetera…

I like to show and share some of these special moments where you can see they have and make fun together.

First story within this story is about a bull in the mopani area… We stopped since he had to cross the small road and giving way is always a good choice…
But this guy had something to do…. Like most of us we use our hands to scrub
Well, let’s start off with the appearance of this bull
-
-

** tip for tusker –lovers… make such pictures , makes it easy to remember where you have seen him…..lollllllll :lol: :lol:

This bull was and curious…he was looking at us all the time and he was using the road sign for other purposes

-
-

ahhhhhhh….mhhhhhhh… wowwww… how nice…. 8) :roll: :D

-
-

just a bit more…. Pfffff…. Lovely this scrub-stone…why are you looking at me ? :hmz:

-
-

Finally decided to move on with a nice smile on his face :) :)

-
-

second situation…
Mopani area , new Tihongonyeni waterhole

I am a big bull and this place is for us not for you buffalo…move on….go away :evil: :evil:

-
-

Heyyyyyyy hello…. I am happy to meet you… just left my herd , mother sent me away and I am so lonely… like to make new friends… I am Bully and you ?

-
-

The social part….

Two friends walking up together… was just a nice view these two relaxed bulls. They were on their way to a special meeting… :big_eyes:

-
-

A little bit futher the meeting already started… about what..?
As I said the waterhole Tihongonyeni changed a lot… these bulls were discussing about the Buffalo problem. For years the waterhole was used by antelopes and other smaller species but after the change…. Buffalo herd after buffalo herd is visiting this new wonderful place…
Bulls not happy so meeting arranged and in “no-time” about 15 bulls came together :dance:

-
-

and

-
-

We have never seen so many bulls in that area together. One day we could count 42 bulls in the Tihongonyeni area. Among them….yess…. my special friend Marhumbini :lol: :lol: (named tusker)
So special to see him 3 trips on a row…more about that later.

Next situation…. We had a good laugh looking at these ellies
A small herd was using this water to play and drink …

-
-

Most of the ellies had left the water but one was playing around

-
-

and

-
-

One of the younger ellies was afraid for water :redface: (it looks like) so he decided not to go in but taking a seat near the water….

-
-

A family member did not like this at all and tried to persuede the other one to move… sitting on his butt…. We had a good laugh here…. Like a comedy :P :lol:

-
-

Not far from that place we came near a dam where ellies were following diving classes… :big_eyes:

-
-

The trunks can be used for so many purposes… one is for snorkeling

-
-

Close your eyes and try to hear the trumpet noice … at least we did hear it ..fading away when the elephant disappeared under water…. Kind of blubbbb….was last we heard… :x

-
-

Almost thinking there are whales or big sharks too in kruger :think: … no it was an ellie , in training for the olympics…. Free style :doh:

-
-

After all this diving it is good to socialize again… “ hey friend , it is lovely here” :)

-
-

and final shot here….

-
-

Thanks for being with us again , hope you like this story. Telling how much pleasure these ellies can give…just taking time and watch…

Probably but not sure next stoy is about one of the great cats … Cheeeee….rrrsss

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 56 - CHEETAH's - p95 upd 24/2/12
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:42 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 56 – All about Cheetah’s

Welcome on board again… hope you are not getting borred with the stories :think: :think:
This time I like to take you with me for some nice cheetah sightings. All in two days
Alltough there are not many left we so far have been lucky to see them during our trips to kruger.

Let’s start with this one… somewhere along the S28 (between Crocodile Bridge and Lower Sabie) we saw something in the field… stopped for a better look and yesss… male cheetah.
First impression we got…

-
-

He was a bit at a distance but using a bit of zooming I could get him a bit closer
After a while (20 minutes) he was standing up :dance:

-
-
and
-
-

he was a bit lurking around…mainly laying down and “sleeping”

-
-

With a friendly look at us :) :)

-
-

So we left him after some time…no action …lazy Cheetah ! :twisted:

-
-

Thinking about other Cheetah sightings in that area … we did not see male cheetah’s that often….
Next day lots of wonderful sightings and late afternoon we decided to drive the S28 again..why not… this road has been very nice for us over the years. :whistle: :whistle:
We were just saying to each other …should be fun to see this Cheetah again..but this almost never happens…
A few minutes later….hahahahaha….. there he was again…now a bit closer to the road. :big_eyes:

-
-

Cheetah’s are the favorites of my wife Elly…she always get thrilled to see one and I heard her lovely heart pounding …. :k I told her… you are lucky my dear… another present for your birthday trip. :tongue:

-
-

The Cheetah was alert… he was listening and looking around… what did he hear or smell ? :hmz:

A small herd of ellies ….that’s what he heard :roll:

-
-

Not very relaxed anymore…. But a nice lovely look at us :)

-
-

With all the noice made by the ellies he moved a bit…

-
-

But lazy as cats can be…(most of the time) he found another place and decided to lay down again

-
-

So end of the Male stories… But…. Where males are the females can’t be far away…so let’s jump in the car again and continue the Cheetah surprizes…. :popcorn:

Why not taking the S28 again….

Sssstttttttttttt some movement in the grass… a cat… more cats… lions? No Cheetah’s … :dance:

Stopped the car…window down…. Cheetah’s smelling something ? :hmz:

-
-

Mhhh must be a good smell there…. Axe for men or Chanel no 5 ?? :lol: :lol:

-
-

How many Cheetah’s …. :rtm:
One?

-
-

Two..?

-
-

No…Three ?

-
-

Number will be cleared later….
Difficulty was the high grass and bush to “shoot” them better….so just waiting for right opportunities to capture them… :cam:
They were all moving …walking..stalking…smelling…
Please be visible for us… :pray:

-
-

A bit further it was getting better… getting the feeling they would like to cross the road … at least we were hoping …

-
-

Yessss…they came closer and closer…. mhhhhh :clap:

-
-

Then…. Close to the road… and as they learned from mother…. Look right…look left….look right… (based on experiences with fast driving blinking machines on their roads) :evil:
The only good thing here is that they were posing a while before crossing the road.

-
-

-
-

As is should be…the youngsters were following mom… :D :D

-
-

Ehhhhh ? what do I see in the mirror..? Another Cheetah… so nr 4.. did not see this one so far…but we like these kind of surprizes

-
-

Final shots before they moved away in the grass and bush at the other side of the road.

-
-

-
-

Thanks for joining ! The idea is to show you what we have seen…

Today 24th of february is my birthday …cheers with a virtual glass of bubbles , milk or beer :thumbs_up:

Next story could be about several Lion prides with cubs …

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 57 - ELLY's Birthday.. what a day- p96 upd 10/3
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:05 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 57 – Elly’s birthday.. what a day !

Hi all…. This story is about Elly’s birthday in kruger december 10th 2011. Starting with a little rain but nice presents given by the animals… what a day it was ! :dance: :dance:
Being spoiled already with great sightings of all kind of animals, including rare and beautiful ones every day is different and who knows…. :hmz:

Waking up very early… giving 50 kisses to my beloved wife :k and ready for celebrating her birthday. It was a bit rainy when we left Satara and decided to go to have breakfast near Lugmag dam (along S36).
Following the main road towards Orpen, then turning left to the S36.
No much activity so far but suddenly some movement in the grass… a large herd of Buffalo, packed together and still sleeping…
We stopped to make some pictures since they started to sing HB for Elly …. :lol: :lol:

-
-
and
-
-

Following the S36 again… still raining a bit…grey sky…
Our plan to have breakfast at Nhlanguleni picnic spot was not that good idea with this weather…so we moved on to Lugmag dam a few km’s ahead. It has a nice spot with good view at the dam…. Coming closer we saw some hyena’s crossing the road …for a drink ?
Yessssssssssssssssss…… wowwwww….. just parking the car with a great view on the dam and … look at this …our first view on this scene. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

-
-

A lion pride having breakfast too… we could recognize they were eating a waterbock

-
-

The hyena’s were interested (hungry) too

-
-

Looking around now and we counted about 9 hyena’s and 10 lions :clap: :clap:
Celebrating a birthday with this scene as present… something to dream about but now reality
Getting out sandwiches, milk etc…and in the mean time enjoying this views

-
-

-
-

Busy , busy with feeding … sometimes relaxeing, drinking some water…looking around, the lions did their thing… so lovely to watch all this :) :)

-
-

Lions were aware of the hyena’s around. :twisted:

-
-

Some of the hyena’s did not like to wait that long and tried to get closer and closer to the lions..

-
-

and

-
-

As we all know lions and hyena’s are not that big friends so one of the lionesses did not really like the approaching hyena’s and decided to give a warning…followed by her youngsters… learning how to do this…

-
-

Mother came closer and made some real warning noises , hyena’s did not feel well with the situation and moved back… :?

-
-

After a while the hyena’s tried again, but the cups learned the lessons given by mother and came closer with an arrogant face….

-
-

The 4 hyena’s moved backwards again….
A bit later one of them started their well known “crying - howling” followed by the others…one by one… what a great sound…was impressing but not really for the lions…
They got p****-off by them and started to go after them once more.

-
-

Hyena’s gone again so time for breakfast and drinking again

-
-

and a last view of them before moving on…

-
-

We arrived just before 07:00 and left this scene around 8:40, one of the best breakfast’s we ever had in kruger :) :)

We followed the S36 and went left to the S33… still talking about the scene we just left when we saw this beautiful male lion drinking… :big_eyes:

-
-

Telling Elly… the animals do give you a nice presents… knowing she loves male lions… :D

-
-

Watching him for a while when he was drinking… then he got back on his feet and crossed the road in front of us with a lovely look at Elly…. HB he said

-
-

We followed the S33 and turned left to the main road towards Satara but why not taking the S86..a small loop and somehowe I felt we would see something there….
And yesss…. Another nice present for my princess…. A nice leopard in a tree.. :dance:

-
-

Only once he seems to say HB to Elly and that was it… he layed down his head and did not move it anymore….

-
-

I told Elly we have seen 3 of the big 5 now so Big 5 should be possible this special day…
We went back to Satara for a coffee and another surprise

(The day before I went to the restaurant and asked if they would and could make a nice cake. A nice lady from the kitchen came and said…no problem…what do you like… I asked her for a nice cake with text and she was smiling… sure…no problem…I will make it and)

So back in Satara I told Elly I had to go to the shop to buy some things… picked up the cake and went back…. Handed over the big box and….. this was the cake :whistle: :whistle:

-
-

After lunch , cake and drinks we took another ride late afternoon…since we had to find elephants and rhino… normally you see elephants but when you need them they are not there…

Driving the S40 , close to timbavati picnic spot we found a rhino… (nr 4)
Close to the road so could make a nice portrait :cam:

-
-

Still no elephants… could not believe to have 4 out of 5 and not finding elephants… :doh:
Following my 6th sense…. going to the S90…. And finally there they are… a nice herd :thumbs_up:

-
-

-
-

Birthday mission completed…. Big 5 as birthday present… what a day !

Evening with a nice braai… a full moon …good wine what else do you need … think I started again with 50 kisses but no pics of this and rest of evening…. :tongue: :tongue:

Thanks for taking time to read this story…

Next story could be about the Picasso sequel…

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 58 - We are in danger !! p97 upd 17/3
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:57 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 58 – We are in DANGER !

Normally I like to share happy stories with you, share pictures of sightings about beauty of nature & wildlife….
This story is about animals in danger. Yes…. In danger again ! Many years ago a group of heroes protected the rhino’s and by all kind of protection and programs the number of rhino’s increased again. We humans almost killed all of them… we humans also did what we have to do and we could bring them back in nice numbers….

Did we learn ???? No… we did not learn of the past… we are killing them in big numbers again. In whole of africa and, in some Asian countries rhino’s are killed for their horns.

Are we humans doing something about it ? Anti poaching teams are active yes… can we stop it ? I really hope so…. But the numbers of rhino’s killed over the last few years and the number of rhino’s killed just this year does not give much hope.

Yessss… we all think about governments failing to protect them, about people like park members , management and many others being involved just for what we humans created long time ago…MONEY !!

Taking away the joy of these wonderful creatures, taking away their life, taking away their babies , their mothers…. Just for getting rich and the stupid thoughts that rhino horn is something special to heal or feel a “better” man.

The economic growth in a specific country does increase the “request” for more and more rhino horn….
The governments of so many countries just hesitate and / or refuse to say something that to the government of that specific country… afraid to loose production orders or selling their goods… all about Money again….

I feel shame … anger… frustration and disappointment

Can we do something ?
Anything to help is welcome … helping anti poaching organizations yes… and one thing I did as individual… writing letters and sending emails to ambassees of that specific country and your own government… to get this killing stopped.

I was looking for a subject for a new story and looking at my pictures I saw these wonderful rhino’s. While looking at them I got these feelings I mentioned before so I really like to show these great animals with a big history and I really hope a Future !!

Found these rhino’s somewhere in Kruger , hope they are still alive

-
-

-
-

Why killing us ? we never did anything to you

-
-

Please … my mother is important for me, I need her for many years…

-
-

We are black rhino’s … even more rare then our white relatives … leave us alone… look at us, make photo’s but don’t shoot us !

-
-

We are peacefull … we just like grazing and life … please be peacefull to us

-
-

Sorry… I feel sad , just heard some family members have been killed…so I a laying down and crying

-
-

I don’t know where to go to be safe … so I am in the water …may be a bit more safe ?

-
-

We are always together… family and friends…. Aren’t we just beautiful ?

-
-

and

-
-

Hi…. It’s so nice to meet you , please tell the bad ones our horns are just hairy things and not a medicine.. pleaseeee.

-
-

and

-
-

I am strong… I am big… am I strong enough ?

-
-

Hellooooo…. I am still a baby and love my mother so much… following her all the time…. Please don’t hurt her

-
-

I am posing with lots of mud on my body… almost like a statue … I hope you do not have to look at me just as a statue but alive….

-
-

A rhino family … amazing to see this , 8 in total … sleeping, socializing and always peacefull
I hope this family is still there …. Look at them and you think How is it possible that we humans do or allow others to kill them.

-
-

I feel happy with my family

-
-

I love my family

-
-

I feel so safe with my mother and father , brothers and sisters

-
-

Please confirm and tell me my family and I don’t have to be afraid of you …………..

-
-

Thanks for reading and sorry if this story is a different one then the others but as wildlife lover my heart was speaking this time

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E Story 59 - PICASSO (the sequel) - p98 upd 31/3
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:07 pm 

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 59 – Picasso (the sequel …)

Hi all,
For some previous story was a moving one. If you write and think from the heart with emotion it is good to see that it reflects in the story

And now…? Something completely different.

A little flash-back…..

In stories 19 I introduced Picasso and friends. They are Painted Dogs , I do prefer this name upon the name African Wilddogs. In story 36 we met the Painted Dogs again.
For the ones who missed story 19 and 36 here’s Picasso (I first met him along the S40 in october 2010)

-
-

Well, after narrating many stories myself, it’s time now for Picasso to tell this story.…. :) :)

Heyyyyyyyyyyy all, nice to see you again, last time I saw you was May 2011 so I am 6 months older and wiser…( I hope) :hmz: :hmz:

What happened in the mean time? My family is increasing, some seperated as usual with the Painted Dogs.
Today I like to introduce some family members in the south of kruger. My uncle’s dad went south ages ago and raised a nice pack. :dance:

So let’s go to part I of this story and I like to show you some family members.

Aat showed me the pictures of my family.
This is my cousin Leonardo da Vinci , handsome and succesfull. They live in the south , close to Crocodile Bridge

-
-

I see they were a bit lazy, think they had a good meal :wink: :wink:

-
-

and

-
-

Leonardo … nice to see you again. It’s to far travelling to meet you but greets from us :gflower:

-
-

And down they are again, so a few more impressions of them before we go to part II of this story

-
-

and

-
-

Sleep well family…bye for now :tongue:

-
-

Before I tell you more about our family here some information and facts about us Painted Dogs. Good for you to know more when you meet us in Kruger

Once distributed widely across most of Africa, we (Lycaon pictus) have been persecuted by Man to the edge of extinction. The best estimate is that fewer than 5000 Painted Dogs now exist in the wild, and many packs no longer have viable breeding populations. They are dying out. !!
The Painted Dog has been the focus of a major long-term study programme in the Kruger National Park since 1989, sponsored by the Endangered Wildlife Trust.
The Kruger National Park contains the only viable South African population of Painted Dogs. Information and knowledge gained from this study has been used to improve management strategies for the species.

This population has fluctuated significantly during this time ranging from less than 200 animals to approximately 400. Impala, the major prey species of the Painted Dog provide adequate food for adults and their pups.
The Painted Dog is a highly social species that lives in packs. Normally only the alpha male and female breed and other pack members help to raise the pups. The packs inhabit large areas of 400 – 900 square kilometers in the Kruger National Park. Attempts are being made to improve the Painted Dog population in South Africa by introducing the dogs into other reserves and to managing these sub-populations as a single meta-population. Some examples are introducing them in Shamwari, Hluwe (KN) and (recently) Tembe Elephant park.

Fast facts

Ø The Painted Dog is South Africa’s most endangered large carnivore.
Ø The total Painted (Wild) Dog population in Africa is only between 3000 – 5000 individuals.
Ø Painted Dogs are considered to be extinct in 23 countries in Africa.
Ø Painted Dogs are particularly susceptible to snares and road kills.

In natural areas the lion is the Painted Dog’s main enemy and competitor.

A nice lesson ? :rtm:

Ok, I continue with part II.
Aat & Elly met us some different times more north in Kruger and last time he found the big den… location… maybe he will tell you , but we a regularly at that location and from there we move to the S36 area, Satara area etc… the den is a secret place near…. Ehhhhh…

We were sleeping after a nice day when we heard a vehicle coming, only one and for third time on a row we saw Aat and Elly. As usual they made pictures of us. :cam:

I was still a bit sleeping and relaxing

-
-

Sometimes we are together… family and friends…. Aren’t we just beautiful with our Painted skin ? Some impressions of our pack. This time we were over twenty all together, spread all over the place.

-
-

and

-
-

and

-
-

It is so nice to find some shadow

-
-

My brother Van Gogh , he really is an artist :whistle:

-
-

One of my cousins , named Matisse… he is a beauty

-
-

My older brother Degas , one of the best hunters in our family.

-
-

Some more pack members , as said spread all over the place. We socialize a lot… laying down together , sniffling exchanging stories of the day etcetera :) :)

-
-

I feel happy with my family , look at all the different designs we have and yes I am happy with the name Painted Dogs…much better then wild dogs… you also say Leopard, Cheetah and Lion and not wild leopards, wild cheetah , wild lion isn’t it ? :hmz: :hmz:

-
-

and

-
-

A portrait of Matisse, another cousin

-
-

and not to forget… Rembrandt .

-
-

Well, Aat and Elly had to leave to be on time in Satara, two hours walking for us… so goodbye and maybe till next time. Still sleepy …greetssss :popcorn: :popcorn:

-
-

Thanks for being with us again and hope you liked this story… let us know :clap: :clap:

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Aat on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next