Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 6
 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aat&Elly TR Story 24 -ISILO & Friends- page 39 upd 3/4
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Isilo is very special and I can understand that your heart was leaping! He does look oldish, but still OK. He is a bit lean, but those tusks........... :dance: :dance:

Now that’s a nice reedbuck lady, why did Reedy not choose one like her instead of reita :lol:

The brown-headed kingfisher and the other one, which I am not going to look up at this hour, are beautiful birds :D

I hope that Widy’s tusks are not going to grow anymore or he will never get through a door :tongue: :lol:

Islo’s tusks are remarkable and on the last pics he looks all right for another few years :D
Is Isilo not a very big elephant or are the tusks so big that he seems smaller :wink:

How is the Tempe Elephant park...accomodations? is there selfdrive? How big is it? Is it easy to see game (any kind)?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Micetta, I think the second bird is a Gorgeous Bush Shrike (female). :lol:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Micetta,
Thanks for you comments and I leave the ID of the birds to the birders amongs us :D :D

To answer some questions about Tembe:
Here some info:
Tembe Elephant Park is situated in northern KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. The park was developed by the Tembe Tribal Authority and Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife, the conservation body that also runs the adjacent Ndumo Game Reserve and other wildlife reserves in the province.

Tembe was established in 1983 and only opened to the public in 1991.

The park is home to more than 200 elephants which are reputed to be the largest in the world. Among them there are BIG Tuskers like Isilo and Induna.

Next to the elephants there are lots of other species like Lion, Nyala, Rhino, Leopard,
African Painted (Wild) Dogs and many others

The size of Tembe Elephant Park is covering 300 square km

Selfdrive is possible, only with 4 wheel/drive cars. Accomodation and services are very good. Nice luxuary tents in the bush.
We have seen a lot of game during just 2 days.

Isilo is much bigger then Duke in size, his tusks are really impressive , like many other tuskers there they are big in size.
If you like more info please ask and I will provide it for you :D

Micetta wrote:
Isilo is very special and I can understand that your heart was leaping! He does look oldish, but still OK. He is a bit lean, but those tusks........... :dance: :dance:

Now that’s a nice reedbuck lady, why did Reedy not choose one like her instead of reita :lol:

The brown-headed kingfisher and the other one, which I am not going to look up at this hour, are beautiful birds :D

I hope that Widy’s tusks are not going to grow anymore or he will never get through a door :tongue: :lol:

Islo’s tusks are remarkable and on the last pics he looks all right for another few years :D
Is Isilo not a very big elephant or are the tusks so big that he seems smaller :wink:

How is the Tempe Elephant park...accomodations? is there selfdrive? How big is it? Is it easy to see game (any kind)?

Post subject: Aat&Elly TR Story 25 -by DWARF- page 41 upd 12/4
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:31 pm 

Story 25 – Story narrated by DWARF

We are getting closer to our next trip in may, counting down the days. So it is time to continue with next story of our last trip. This time the story will be told by DWARF. Dwarf represents many of the smaller animals in Kruger including some you don’t see that often. Another habit of these smaller ones is that you sometimes see them but not being able to make a decent picture of them since they start running away from you. I gathered some pictures of the ones I could capture. I hope you like this story about them. Like all other animals they belong in Kruger and have their own place and worth to have a better look at them.

Who is Dwarf? Dwarf is one of the Dwarf Mongoose living in Kruger. He will introduce himself and tell you about all kinds of different smaller creatures illustrated by pictures of them. Enjoy and let’s rollllll…. :) :)

Heyyyyyyyyyyy, finally after alllll these big animals, birds and cats it is my pleasure to say hello to you and hihihihihihih…. Show you many others like us, small, hiding, slow, but also beautiful and nice to meet…well, some I don’t like to much since they try to catch and eat us….
-
Hihihihihih This is me !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
-
-
And my brother Mongo
-
-
Hihihihih… good opportunity to tell you a bit more about us Dwarf Mongoose. :rtm:
-
We are the smallest of the African mongooses. We are stocky, with a fairly short, pointed muzzle and a long, fluffy tail. We are usually speckled brown or reddish in color.
-
We are found in most parts of Africa. We vary greatly in our habitat and social organization. Most are solitary, but others live in stable social groups. We can be found in a variety of habitats, including forests and semi-arid areas. Some are nocturnal, some are diurnal, and others are active during both day and night.
-
We live in a group of 12 to 15 individuals, which covers a range of approximately 75 acres that overlaps with the ranges of other groups. A range usually contains 20 or more termite mounds, which are used as den sites, lookout posts and sources of food. We are nomadic, and groups seem to be constantly on the move through their range, seldom using a den site for more than a few days at a time.
-
We are mainly carnivorous-consuming small rodents, reptiles and young birds-but may include fruit and other foods in our diet. We, dwarf mongoose mainly feed on insects like termites, locusts, beetles, grubs, larvae and spiders. When we forage, we keep in contact with short chirrup calls, one of many vocalizations we use. Although we often cooperate in hunting, adults generally do share food. We will, however, collect and carry insects to the young.
-
So…hihihihihi… you did not know this eh….? Never too old or big to learn from a dwarf mongoose….. :lol: :lol:
-
So enough about us for a while, let’s move to other places and see what we can find…
-
Let’s start to show you some smaller, slow and beautful animals during rainy days.
-
What to think about this Giant Snail crossing the road
-
-
Very interesting are the Chameleon, they are able to change colours all the time. Did you know chameleon have 3 skin layers with different colours so they can change based on environment and light ? Well have a look at them 8) 8)
-
-
-
-
-
-
Time is flying so we continue in the evening
-
-
One of the animals you don’t see often is the Porcupine :big_eyes:
-
-
Next day we are going to find some more Mongoose, but just a little stop for this lovely Vervet Monkey
-
-
and this mother with baby...ahhhhh
-
-
and our slow moving friend
-
-
This tortoise was just drinking after some rain, getting close to him for a close-up :roll:
-
-
A bit further we can see some family in their area. :D :D
-
-
-
Good moment to learn a bit more about us? :tongue:
-
Each dwarf mongoose group is led by a dominant female and her male consort, usually the oldest animals in the group. The rest of the group is composed of family members, generally older offspring of the dominant pair. Each year the alpha female produces three litters of young, with two to four infants in each litter. The young of the dominant female are second in the group’s social system, tended for and cosseted by subordinate members. However, this status is immediately lost upon arrival of a new litter. The babysitters, who guard and defend the young, change often during the day so that individuals may forage for food.
Each dwarf mongoose pack has a dominant breeding pair, usually the oldest animals in the pack. Each year the female normally produces three litters of young, with two to four infants in each litter. Subordinate breeding females, which come into estrus at the same time as the dominant female, mate with subordinate males in the pack, but such matings seldom produce live young. It is not certain if they fail to conceive or abort early in pregnancy. In the rare instances when they do produce live young, the newborns are believed to either have died quickly or been killed.
The dominant female spends little time with her young other than suckling them; subordinate females tend to them. The babysitters change often during the day (even subordinate males will relieve them and take a turn) so they can forage for food. The babysitters guard and defend the young.
-
So hihihihihihihi, enough lessons for you, like us you are also always in a hurry. Good reason to continue with some others. Mhhhh :hmz: :hmz: these are animals we don’t like much but fair to show them
-
First a few impressions of the Honey Badger, this one was along the H10 halfway between Lower Sabie and Tshokwane :cam:
-
-
-
-
Again almost night and just on my way back to the den I saw this HB
-
-
Another day and today I will take you to another Mongoose species but first these brrrrr :twisted: animals
-
-
this lizard is a piece of art isn’t it ? :huh:
-
-
As promised here is the other Mongoose, called the Banded Mongoose :) :)
-
-
this mongoose was just walking to his family. Enjoy the impression of Banded Mongoose family life
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

So we are almost coming to the end of this story about us and other smaller animals as you could see.
I like to say goodbye to you with a last portrait of me so you will not forget me :redface: :redface:
-
-

DWARF, It was a great pleasure to be with you for some time. Small but nice and beautiful. Next to the fact that it is funny to look at the mongoose , always busy, acting , running , playing etc, it was special to see a porcupine and some honey badgers at day as well as at night.

Thank you for spending some time again for story number 25

Next story will be about ehhhh mhhhh :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Less then 4 weeks to go for next trip mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Berg en Dal
Letaba
Mopani
Shingwedzi
Satara

My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com

Last edited by Aat on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Aat&Elly TR Story 26 -by L & L - page 44 update: 24/4
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:04 pm 

Story 26 – Story about L & L Leopard and Lions

Kruger is calling us… 2 weeks from now we hope to be there again… feeling like second home in the mean time ? Yes… looking forward to it. Many of you recognize the “feeling home” as soon as you enter Kruger I guess. Face with a smile… and we always have a competition , what animal do we see first… ?.
Before that I wrote this story last night, ehhh early morning is a better approach for some reasons. As said I don’t have much time to spend on it but at the other hand I could not resist to stop writing… So here story 26 about a Leopard and some Lion prides.
This time I take the microphone to tell you about these cats.

About the Lions.
We spent about 4 weeks in Kruger and all together we have seen appr. 100 lions in all parts of kruger. Many of them I showed you in previous stories. This 2 short stories are about two sightings with a special reason.

Location S100 about halfway at the right side (coming from Satara). First thing we saw was some sleeping lions. This is the way we saw them first…
-
-
-
-
Then 1 by 1 they raised the head … in allert status… but why..? :huh:
-
-
-
Why are they lifting their heads… ? knowing they have big bellies, but nature calls
-
-
-
-
-
Now all 3 lions (at least the visible ones) were looking at the same direction…using eyes, ears and nose… :hmz:
-
-
-
-
You like to know what about the reason ? What do you think about a herd of Buffalo , more then 1000 crossing the small river and road moving north-east…
-
-
Looking at the pictures I liked the way they changed from sleeping to fully allert…

Second Lion story.

During our last day, just 1 hour before we had to leave Kruger we found this pride close to Berg en Dal near one of the bridges along the H3.
Just lionesses with 2 cubs as far as we could see (7 lionesses and 2 cubs)
One of the lionesses was saying goodbye to us in a special way… coming closer and closer , sat down and gave us a nice look :dance:
-
-
-
Then suddenly the other lionesses and the cubs made their appearance :) :)
-
-
-
-
-
-
What a lovely way to say goodbye at the last day of a trip
-

Story about a beautiful Leopard.

Location: somewhere between Lower Sabie and Skukuza along the main road.
Here the big contrast with the northern part… Leopard near Mopani about 3 cars , this situation a complete chaos, almost never seen so many cars fighting for positions , people even shouting, trucks in the traffic mess, two big busses taking away the view of many…etc.. and we? Hahahaha…we took a position at the right side of the road with a good view at the Leopard where the others were fighting we were enjoying and we stayed at this position for exactly one hour. Just to follow this leopard in the tree , about the looks, the moves the actions, about being lazy but also allert.
I show you the pictures from start till finish with a selection I created. Distance was about 100 meter I guess.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Here the leopard gave us a nice view. I remember I said Thanks :clap: :)
-
-
-
-
Allerted by some noices… with difficulty I could see a bushbuck moving around, but the leopard did not go for it, just moving and watching.
-
-
-
-
-
Again the leopard showed the face, forgetting all the noice and mess we really enjoyed looking at him :)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Then our leopard went back in sleeping mode and we decided to move on
-
-
-

It is really getting late or better early morning so I stop writing now and will post the story later today…that is now … Eastern Sunday 24th of April.
-
A wonderful Eastern for all :thumbs_up: and I hope you like this story.
-
Next story is unsure but you never know…

Less then 2 weeks to go for next trip mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :whistle: :whistle:
Berg en Dal
Letaba
Mopani
Shingwedzi
Satara

Last edited by Aat on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Aat&Elly TR Story 27 -Common ? by RAFF- page 45 update: 30
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:16 pm 

Story 27 – Story about "Common" ? by RAFF

Yessss…. Just 1 week to goooo before we enter Kruger again for 3 weeks…. :D :D
But still time to add another story about last trip.
In many reports you find the words “common game”, mainly referring to Zebra, Kudu and Giraffe a.o.
Are these animals common. ?? Well I like to show you a pictorial about these animals, selecting a number of pictures to have a better look or maybe a different look at them.

For some reasons I mentioned in my comments I don’t have too much time to write a full story about them but still I hope you like it. :redface:

I am handing you over to RAFF, an old Giraffe bull with lots of experience and knowledge about all species in Kruger.
He is your guide to take you through this story about “common” species. After the story I hope you never mention them common anymore !!

Heyyy good day to you all and welcome to Kruger. From my position I have a good overview and will show you many pictures of Zebra, Kudu and my own family members Giraffe.
This is me RAFF, signed by the times and years, I am old but still strong. :) :)
-
-
-
Two giraffes or 1 with two heads .. :lol: :lol:
-
-
Here some younger family members
-
-
-
Because I can see and hear very well I noticed that you call us “common” animals, well, by all these common species… we don’t like that “name” :rtm: :rtm: :twisted:
-
Impression of some Kudu’s for you , aren’t they just beautiful ?
-
-
-
-
We Giraffe do fight for our wives but after the fight we are in love and we men take care of our ladies. To give you some impressions of our family life the next series of pictures will illustrate that. :)
-
-
-
-
Smile, just found a funny one , Giraffe can talk … look at this one
-
-
-
What to think about these great Zebra’s and please no… no jokes about pyjama parties, we have heard them too many times… :whistle: :whistle:
-
-
-
-
-
-
With my very long legs I can’t dance but Zebra can…
-
-
I am old and need some sleep, but before I leave you for today a nice Kudu in the sunset.
-
-
A new day and more about us. I am just looking at some Waterbuck.
-
-
and a close up of this Waterbuck
-
-
A bit further a real beautiful Kudu male is showing off himself like he knew a camera was pointed at him :hmz:
-
-
and a close-up of one of his wives :)
-
-
Specially for the ladies, some young ones bonding with their mother or family :wink:
-
-
-
Not a daily observation , with other words, not common is a whole family laying down and relaxing, daddy, moms and child :popcorn:
-
-
And even more lovely are the drinking youngsters, like this Zebra and Giraffe..ahhhhh :tongue:
-
-
-
Since I am a very tall guy I could give you these portraits of fellow Giraffes :cam:
-
-
-
With my head down I was able to give you these portraits of Kudu and Zebra
-
-
-

My tour will end here, I like to say goodbye to you and hopely…hopely you will give us more attention then calling us “common” , we just don’t deserve it :twisted: :twisted:
-

I am going to follow my family now… please have a good look and check how many are walking in a straight line. :roll:
-
-

Okkkkkk thank you RAFF, it was a real pleasure to meet you and thanks for all your comments and information.

And to you all, thanks again for being on tour with RAFF.

Do you agree that Common is not always Common ? :) :)

I will try to add a small story about a special Breakfast with ehhmmmm L? somewhere next week and a grand final just before we leave for Krugerrrrrrrrr
-

One week to go for next trip yesssssssssssssssssss
Berg en Dal
Letaba
Mopani
Shingwedzi
Satara
Berg en Dal

Many other pictures of previous trips:

Last edited by Aat on Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Aat&Elly TR Story 28 -Breakfast with Lions- page 47 upd 5/5
Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:24 pm 

Story 28 – Story about Breakfast with Lions

I promised you to add a small story before we leave for Kruger…here it is… :) :)

Just a few days before take-off to Kruger a short story.
We left Satara early in the morning, turning right towards Tshokwane. We took our breakfast with us and decided to take the S34, then at the end turning right towards Lugmag dam along the S36.
We arrived and parked our car with a beuatiful view on the dam….
Some animals like zebra and wildebeast were arriving to have a drink….
-
-

We were just preparing our breakfast and saw the zebra and wildebeast hesitating to go to the dam… looking around and a bit nervous they were moving back… what happended ? :huh:

There was really nothing to see so we continued preparing our sandwiches, milk , eggs etc….
Plates on our laps…drinking milk and then suddenly out of nothing we saw a lioness walking to the dam wall… :big_eyes:

Well… you can imagine we were surpised with this “disturbing” of our breakfast.
Everything on the back-seat and getting the camera … so these are first pics of the lioness. :cam:
-
-
-

Maybe she had same thoughts about breakfast, since she was going to the water to have a nice drink….
-
-
-
-

Just wondering about the fact this lioness was just on her own. We were enjoying our sandwiches and in between making some pictures…what a lovely scenery, no other cars just us, the lioness and in the back some zebra, impala’s and wildebeast. So just peace and then… some movement at the left … another lioness made her appereance. :) :)
-
-
-

On the dam wall she was looking around for her “sister” and after she found her she came to our direction… another bite in the sandwich and a bit milk… hurry…camera ready for next pictures… mhhhh busy breakfast this way… even the animals don’t give you time to eat. :twisted:

-

She walked to her sister and started to drink too, so kind of sister-act here in front of us … they were drinking water…we were drinking our milk and fruit juices… big smile on our faces…
What a morning… smileeeeeeeeeeeeee :) :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
-

One of the sisters was looking around and with my window open… I started to talk to her… like goodmorning lady… nice to see you …etc.. she looked back with a very friendly face :whistle: :whistle:
-
-
-

We were just eating our last sandwich when they finished drinking and like they appeared they moved back to the dam wall
-
-
-

With a last look to the dam they walked away leaving us with a wonderful feeling and one of the best breakfasts we ever had in Kruger.
-
-
-

Well. It was nice to share this breakfast with you. Writing this small story we are just 48 hours away from take-off from Amsterdam… :dance: :dance:

If possible I add a Grand Final tomorrow , thanks for reading and have a nice breakfast…
-

Next trip starting sunday 8th of may
Berg en Dal
Letaba
Mopani
Shingwedzi
Satara
Berg en Dal

Post subject: Aat&Elly TR - GRAND FINAL - page 47 upd 6/5
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:48 pm 

– Grand Final -

As a temporary goodbye to all of you waves from us and all the story-tellers so far….

From story 2: The Leopard and the elephant bull
Greeting from the tree , I am doing well and wait for you …
-
-

From story 3: About Lions and Elephants
Waves from us, the lion couple chased by elephants disturbing our private moments
-
-

From story 4: About Birds, narrated by WHITEY
Bye all… I am still guiding, it is a nice job
-
-

From story 5: About Sable antelope
Hi all, hope you liked our story
-
-

From story 6: A Tuskers day
Rumbleeeeeeeeeeee from HUMBI … see you soon Aat … and thanks all for reading about me and my friends
-
-

From story 7 ARNO’s story about Roan Antelope
Hello to all, did you like to see us ? Waves from me and my family
-
-

From story 9 Warm welcome to Kruger by BILL
Heyyyyyy BILL is doing well, see you around soon I hope …
-
-
A special greet from a beautiful Leopard
-
-

From story 10 Fighting against time with Cheetah’s
Ieeeeeeeeeeee. Ieeeeeeeeee… we are still there , come and find us….
-
-

From story 11 Tusker Relay , told by HUMBI
Rumbleeeeeee Rumbleeeeeeee…. Thanks all for joining us during the relay. A special “trunky” by MAC
-
-

From story 12 Unexpected Dinner Guest at Mopani
Hello Aat and Elly…I am waiting for you in Mopani… nr51 … smile
-
-

From story 13 Birds , told by BATTY
Thanks to all for looking at all these different bird species
-
-

From story 14 Lionesses on a mission
Mmmmmmm…still looking for food….
-
-

From story 15 Roaring in Kruger…narrated by ROAR
Roarrrrrrrrrrrrrr bye all , see you next time
-
-

From story 19 Painted Dogs , told by PICASSO
It was really nice to be with you , hope you like us a bit more now… lovely names we got…
-
-

From story 20 About the smaller antelopes , told by BAMBI
Hellooooo all, waves from all small antelopes.
-
-

From story 21 About Male Lions , told by ROCK
Roarrrrrrrrrrr from me and all me brothers and other family members.
-
-

From story 22 About Rhino’s, told by ROBERT THE NHIRO
Hmmmmmmm… I hope you enjoyed my story …byeee
-
-

From story 23 REEDY told you all about Reedbuck
Goodbye from us … we are proud you took the time to read about reedbuck
-
-

From story 24 ISILO is telling about him and other species in Tembe
A big RUMBLLLLLEEEEE from Tembe, a big wave from this old man
-
-

From story 25 DWARF about all the smaller species
Hihihihihihihi…. Soooo great you were reading about us and it helped… I see more people stopping for us to click click ….lol
-
-

Well, the other stories are more recent so this was a parade of all story tellers over the last 5 to 6 months…

Again…thanks all for reading, learning, watching, enjoying or anything else….

We are on our way to Kruger to meet these animals again or others… I will tell you more after the trip….

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Post subject: Aat&Elly Back home .... after trip in may 2011
Unread postPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:12 pm 

Hellooooooooooooooooo allllll :) :) :)

Just back home after trip in may !!

Thanks for all comments on the Grand Final :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did we have a great trip ? Yessssss.... As you (should) know I am going just for meeting the Tuskers and on the roads it is nice to see other animals :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did I see tuskers ? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

We also had wonderful sightings with others beautiful animals but you need to wait for that...

We have seen 4 species we never had seen before (first timers... lalalalalala) and a very very strange sighting .... :tongue: :tongue:

One thing is for sure ... there will be a new set of stories and one of them will be a follow-up on Humbi (the tusker) ... :lol: :lol: :dance: :dance:

Tired now , just unpacked the lugage... photo's on the harddisk ...see you all later .... :) :)

Post subject: Aat&Elly KICK-OFF for new stories trip may 2011
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:44 pm 

@ anne catherine, vgstephens, flutterby, pumbaa, micetta, crested barbet, sharifa and duke and all others

All pictures are loaded now.

I am not going to make a new TR but will continue with this one with new stories if you like.
A little change ... I will write short stories supported with pictures about one subject / sighting at a time, so that is easier for me and for you :lol: :lol:

About the trip in general.
We have had very good weather, only one day clouded , all others a blue sky. Just the last few days it was to cold to sit outside in the evening. Temperatures from 3-4 degrees celcius very early in the morning up to 37 C in the afternoon.

Most days we spent in the northern part Satara, Mopani and Shingwedzi. Shingwedzi was not that nice, with two days without power. Most of the day a diesel generator was making lots of noice to supply power.
We had not that many sightings as in oct/nov last year , some days it almost looked "empty". Having said this.... we had some very good sightings and at least 4 animals (species) we have never seen before in Kruger. Looking at the Mammals forum I can see these species seems to be rare ...so some surprises to come .... :) :)
With one sighting I was jumping in my car with a big big smile , a first time sighting of this animal and able to make some pictures too.... :dance: :dance:
One other sighting was strange.... a familiar animal but when I saw this one I could not believe my eyes....

Other good news ... Kruger healed my wife's shoulder/arm problem... one week with pain and then... no pain anymore.... We were very very happy about that.

Some of you call me Tusker whisperer... :hmz: With 8 fantastic Tusker sightings maybe it is true...???
I am still a bit confused with Humbi (Marhumbini) just 5 meters away and winking with his eye to me... and looking straight into the eyes of Machachule. also just a few meters away.
It is worth to write a story for every Tusker I have seen, so buy a few boxes of popcorn and wait :wink:

First story will be about our entry to Kruger and the first animals waiting for us... Let's say ...I never expected these animals to see first...

So...enough suspense ??? :whistle: :whistle:

Post subject: Aat&Elly 2011 Story 30-What an entry P48 - upd 2/6
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:19 pm 

First story of a new series. Based on our trip in may 2011.

Story 30 – What an entry to Kruger

May 8th 2011. After a long trip from Amsterdam via Cairo to Johannesburg and then to Kruger Mpupalanga International Airport (between Nelspruit and Wit Rivier) we picked up our car and did some shopping in Wit Rivier.
It is one o’clock afternoon and we drive to Numbi Gate. Getting closer and closer to the gate we feel the exitement in our vaines. Paperwork and as always we bet about what animal we will see first. Elly thinks about an elephant, my guess was a Kudu. :whistle:

Our first nights would be in Berg and Dal so a nice first drive in front of us. Between Numbi and Pretoriuskop …. No animals. Decision what road to take… Dirtroad to Afsaal , why not ? Car was to clean so needed some first dust. :lol: :lol:

After some km’s still no animals, no Impala’s along the road to say Hi. :cry:

About halfway between Pretoriuskop and Afsaal I saw something moving in the bush. Not an elephant and also not a Kudu but…. Two Sable (male) antelopes. :dance: Can you believe it ? :huh: First animals and immediately Sable. :big_eyes: What an entry to our beloved Kruger, what a welcome. :) :) :)

Like always my camera is on my lap, prepared at Numbi gate and ready for use. :cam:

Like we did, enjoy the way we saw them.

They are so beautiful
-
-

Both males were surprised :shock: and did not move almost…just looking at us
-
-

I tried to make pictures of both Sables, afraid they would run away.
-
-

Please stay where you are… I need portraits of you… :pray:
-
-

hahaha… so you were sneezing at me.. click , got you… :lol: :lol:
-
-

No time for thinking, no time for anything, just looking at them and trying to “shoot” them with the camera
-
-

Ready for another portrait my friend… ? :wink:
-
-

Now the Sables realized they had to run away so a last shot and then.. In a second both were gone
-
-

Pfffffffftttttttttt… sitting again, looking at each other with kind of unbelieve. Then big smiles and a loud Yesssssssssss…. Back in Kruger, back with the animals we like so much. A Sable reception just for us after an hour in Kruger.

Ok, as promised I will write short stories like this. This was the first one and “some” to come. :tongue:

Hope you like it and it is my pleasure to have you with me next few months.

Aat & Elly

Post subject: A&E 2011 Story 31 -Weird Sighting .... - P50 - upd 8/6
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 pm 

Stories of this trip (may 2011) are posted in random order

Story 31 – Weird Sighting

Friday the 13th 2011. :roll: :roll: Shingwedzi. It was afternoon and we decided to go for a short trip to Kanniedood Dam. Driving on the dirtroad we did not see many animals. A first group of Impala’s was near the road and then we saw something weird , just about 20 meters in the bush we found this special Impala. We looked at each other … weird … a White Impala ?? :huh: :huh:

Yes, it was a White male Impala… we were sure, no influence of wine or anything else… we were looking at this white impala. :big_eyes:

Albino ? No…. not an albino since he has nomal eyes , not red … completely white, well, almost… just some small spots of normal hair on his back.

Well, join me with this sighting as we did… pictures in sequence of sighting so you are witness of this weird sighting.

First view on him…can you believe it is strange to look at him? :hmz:
-
-

You can see his back… some spots with normal hair
-
-

I was hoping he did not run away into the bush to let me make some pics of him. :cam:
Making the photo’s I was still shaking my head… with some huh’s… :hmz: :hmz:
-
-

Interesting…another “normal” male Impala.. a fight , chasing him away or… No, accepted , no fight just being together as normal :) :)
-
-

Taking care of himself … washing his white body.. an adult male impala , so not that vulnarable as we often think or he has a lot of luck so far…
-
-
-
-

Yesss…let’s have a good look at you my friend…. :dance:
-
-

And thank you for showing yourself to us… otherwise people don’t believe me and think I had to much wine with the Braai…(BBQ)… :whistle: :whistle:
-
-

Wowwwww…. Friday 13th turned out not being a bad day.
Back in camp I was talking to my neighbour , turned out to be Chis B from Phalaborwa also a forumite… I showed him the pictures , great to end this day and start a braai… yesss.. this time with a nice rose wine to say cheers to this Impala… :tongue:

Next day, we decided to take the S50 from Shingwedzi to Mopani and almost at the same spot , there was Mr White Impala again… now on the road in front of me… :)

Thanks my boy… a few more pictures of this rare & weird sighting….
My impression was he is part of a group and not left alone… Impala’s are nice and friendly animals…

-
-

-
-

and a final portrait of you my boy…. Thanks for posing and being with us for some wonderful and special moments… :clap:

-
-

This was the second short story about our 2011 trip … hope you like it

Aat & Elly

Post subject: Re: Aat&Elly 2011 Story 31 -White Impala- P50 upd 8/6-
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

To my mind , the fact that the white impala survived for 3/4 years is not really a surprise . Predators , like most or all animals are colour blind and just the mere fact that a prey is of a different colour does not necessarily distinguish it from others . Predators are usually opportunists , and are quick to note if an individual herd-member is ill or weaker than the rest and make a target of that animal .
Prey animals such as impala rely on being the same , have the same markings , swish their tails all together ; zebras have lines and stripes , all confusing to the hunter . They rely on safety in their numbers .
This white impala still basically have the same lines , markings etc of another normal impala , and is healthy , and therefore not really distinguishable from other impalas - except of course by us humans - and by our human reasoning is different from the others . :huh:

And for passing on his genes :hmz: Well , that is another matter again , but also , we should not be too hopeful for that either . Remember , it is rutting/mating season , and only the best , the stringest , and the fittest of males get to pass on their genes . The fact that he is seen with other males , and not surrounded by his own harem tells us that he is ... well .... an also-ran as far as the ladies are concerned . So , for now at least , together with the fact that the white gene would be recessive and not dominant , I do not really think there is a very big chance for a drastic increase in white impala population in KNP in the near future :tongue:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: Aat&Elly 2011 Story 32 -HUMBI the sequel....- P52 upd 13/6
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:56 pm 

Story 32 – HUMBI the sequel ….

May 16th 2011

Hi all, as some of you might know I have special interest in the tuskers in Kruger. Last year in oktober I met Marhumbini , a one-tusker. Sometimes you don’t know why but this guy felt a bit special. Is it his friendly face ? The injuries in his trunk (lower section) ? I just don’t know, but coming closer to Mopani (his home area) I was really looking forward hoping to see him again.

It was morning, may 16th 2011 and driving from Mooiplaas waterhole to Tihongonyeni waterhole (along Capricorn loop) I saw some big bulls walking in front of me, not to far from the road. Getting closer I said something like YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS… that’s Humbi my friend. :dance: :dance:
Well… I think Humbi heard me “saying” this so here his part of the story…

Hello….rumbleeeeeeee….. You remember me from 6th story, Humbi… great to see you all again.
My official name is MARHUMBINI , tha’s because of my big right tusk.

For all who never read story 6 or forgot my looks, here a picture of me when Aat photographed me in oktober last year. :)
-
-
It was morning, just busy with eating…what else? And suddenly I heard a noice , sounding like Yesssssssssss…. So I was looking around to see what happened… :big_eyes:
-
-

Heyyyy Rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (my way of saying Yessssss) That’s my friend Aat , not seen for a long time… must be before summer here…
What a nice surprise to see him again… I am going a bit closer to him :D
-
-

Rumbleeee Rumbleee…sure , no doubt it is him… well, I am on my way to have drink so nice to walk towards him and saying hello. :dance:
-
-
and
-
-

So nice…rumbleeee… maybe Aat makes some new click-clicks… :cam: to update my WWW pages… mmmhhh I heard that the ladies (cows) are regularly looking at me on the world-wide tuskernet. :whistle: :whistle:

Aat: Wowwwwwwwww, it is really him my friend Humbi. I really was hoping to see him and there (unexpected) he is. Cant’t express the feeling at that moment but it was a very happy feeling.
It felt almost like he knew (probably impossible) but the way he was looking and coming forward was great… I parked my car and was waiting for him to pass me.. a risk ? :wall: maybe, but worth it and I was convinced nothing would happen. :hmz:
Coming closer and closer
-
-
almost next to me at very little distance… :wink:
-
-
-
-
A kind of winking eye like he was saying hello…. :wink: :wink:
-

Humbi: What a nice surprise today… :o was just chatting with another bull about the upcoming dry season… brrrr… cold nights… dry grass… and then this … just give him a wink and yesss he is making new clickssss… rumbleeee rumbleeee…
-

Aat: Thanks my friend for doing this and going to the right side so the morning light is beautiful to photograph you. I see you are going to the waterhole for a drink… I am following you to look at you a bit longer.

-
-

Humbi: Great moment… but I am thirsty so I walk to the waterhole , taking my time so my tuskerfriend can watch me for some time.
-
-

-
-

Sitting in my car , camera pointed at Humbi and just enjoying this meeting / sighting. :D I just realized I was even talking to him when he passed me… :redface: :redface: crazy perhaps but just felt like doing that…
Ok.. some last impressions of him while going to the waterhole and drinking…
-
-
-
-

And… later that morning , almost noon he was walking away from the waterhole to continue what he was doing when I saw him….eating….
-
-

Thanks for being with me in this first special Tusker story… yess…not the last one

Rumbleeeeeeeee Rumbleeeeeeeee from Humbi

Hope you liked it and what will be next…? Ok..promised : A wonderful Cheetah story :tongue: :tongue:

Post subject: Re: Aat&Elly 2011 Story 32 -HUMBI the sequel....- P52 upd
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:20 pm 

One of the random stories about our last trip in may 2011.

Story 33 – CHEETAH (1)

After a big surprise on the first day we entered Kruger and a nice sleep after a long travelday we woke up early and we planned to go to Lower Sabie, taking some dirtroads near Berg en Dal (with a Leopard in tree) , the S25 to Crocodile Bridge (nice rhino’s and many other animals). After a nice coffee in C.B. (wonderful coffee-bar) we decided to take the S28. I love this road with so many great memories (Duke, Leopards, Lions, Rhino and Cheetah)… just dreaming to see these beauties again… think we all do.
Well, first full day in Kruger and allready seen a leopard this morning sable yesterday so what to expect ? :huh:
Still my mind with being just happy to be here again my eyes went to the left side of the road and is it true ???? … Elly …look… Cheetah !! :) :)

Uhhhhhhh…. Yessssssss owwwww was Elly’s reaction… heartpounding with me… noooo…but it was yesssss…. Not 1 , not 2 but 3 Cheetah and close to the road.
About 10 o’clock in the morning and , just a few other cars arriving and enjoying this too.

I can try to describe the feelings and the sighting, but maybe better to take you with us during this sighting and hopely you enjoy it like we did…
First view we had was two Cheetah together, Mom and one of the two younsters..
-
-
Situation: the cheetah were in hunting mode , looking around and at the other side of the S28 there were some wildebeast and impala’s
-
That’s why this one was looking with special attention
-
-
just have a closer look at them
-
-
-
-
and
-
-
Since they were in kind of hunting mode they were moving all the time. Every now and then they were sitting down to offer me good opportunities to make portraits of them. :cam:
Two of them together
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
and sometimes standing still, showing how beautiful they are :dance:
-
-
Sometimes they were together and it is just lovely seeing them this way..
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
On the move again with them… so great to see there bodies stretched , the shape
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Not many words needed to express their beauty. Elly and I were so much enjoying this with kind of unbelieve … first full day in Kruger and this… pffffffffff :big_eyes:
-
-
-
-
And then where we hoping for…all 3 together. We almost felt like appearing in Big Cats in Serengeti, but it happens in Kruger, just in front of us. :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Mother Cheetah was sitting down for a while , just about 5 meters away from me and posing like a model. I was making noises like ohhhh…wowwww while I made the pictures. :redface: :redface:
-
-
-
-
and a real close-up
-
-
The Cheetah’s started to cross the road and walking away in the high grass and bush. So last impressions while crossing the road and a goodbye and thank you Cheetah’s :clap: :clap:
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

I promised to make short stories, but could not resists to share this whole sighting with you.
The sighting took a bit more then 1 hour and made a unforgettable impression to us.
One of the best sightings we had , not knowing (at that moment) an even better Cheetah sighting was ahead of us… that will be another story later… :tongue: :tongue:

Till next story, just don’t know yet about what… :huh:

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Aat on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next