Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Binkie and the Brain's 14 day Camping Trip Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:37 pm 

Hi All

I'm going to try and write this whole report this time. At least I have already picked out my photos, resized them and loaded them onto Flickr. One step better than the last report - I ran out of memory on Flickr after only 3 days into the report.

I've also decided, that since I may enjoy telling stories, I get a bit to bogged down on the details. So I'm going to limit what I write on this TR. I'll stick to the basics and a few fun anecdotes. Otherwise I'll get bogged down on all the details and forget to finish the report.

Just a very basic run down of our trip: We entered at Croc Bridge gate after spending the night before with family in Marloth Park. We were booked for 5 nights at Skukuza, 4 nights Balule and 4 nights Maroela. We hadn't pre-booked any activities.

Our equipment consists of: a Natural Instincts Turbo Twin 240 tent, a deluxe gazebo with screen sides, a trailer full of all the other stuff. We drive a Subaru Forrester,which gives great ground clearance. Generally the Brain does all the driving and I'm in charge of recoding the sightings.

Sightings record - for the first few days we just wrote down each animal or special bird we saw the first time we saw them, this includes Impala - just to see if they're always the first seen animal (they aren't). We then spoke to some other ladies over dishes the one night and they suggested recording the time of sightings - we did this for the rest of the trip. Recording any major sighting and the time the animal was seen. What is nice about this method is that we can tell you that we see and animal about every 7 minutes excluding impala! Ok guess that's just really random!!

OK so enough details - on to the actual report!

B&B

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Post subject: Camp Set Ups and impressions
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:10 pm 

Rather than write this by the days we saw stuff, I'm going to theme the entries and try and post some of the photos.

So here are photos of our various set ups in each camp we stayed in, and our impressions of each:

First up Skukuza:

Our impressions of Skukuza: The ground is hard! Very, very hard!! As you can see we ended up using rocks to secure the guy ropes. The campsite itself is lovely, the people staying there were well behaved and quiet. The problem with noise was coming from the staff quarters behind us. Most days it didn't end until 9pm or later, and on Sunday we woke up to the music and singing, and went to sleep with it. The laundry is good - 45 min wash and 45 min dryer. They take 5xR2 coins for both machines. The concrete slaps for sorting washing stay cool even if it's 42C outside! We will only use this camp for 1 night stays on our way in or out in future!

Next Balule:

Our favourite camp of this stay! We had campsite no 7. It was lovely although there wasn't much shade. New trees have been planted and these will supply additional shade in the future. The 2 corner sites are clearly the nicest as they both have large established trees. Titus the attendant is fantastic. Greeted us enthusiastically each time we arrived "home". He took great care with ensuring the camp was well looked after - including the birds that come to the bird bath! The freezers worked well as fridges, and were not used by many people. The sounds from camp are spectacular - hippo, lion, hyena, leopard, all kinds of birds!

Lastly Maroela:

Maroela was a strange one - there were lots of Pros, but quite a few cons too! The locations is great, we saw some fantastic sightings from our camp chairs - elephant, kudu, impala, hyena, civet. The layout of the camp is very odd - the campsites are not clearly demarcated, the electricity and tap points seem to be placed completely randomly, the gate is left open all day (which we did not find comforting! :big_eyes: :huh: ), we never met the attendant, which after Titus at Balule felt very impersonal.

We did have a very persistent friend who we made at Maroela:

We nicknamed him Squirrelly Wrath!!

B&B

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Post subject: Re: Sightings around Skukuza by B&B
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:07 pm 

I'll give list of the sightings as I have them written in my book. Sometimes I've been able to remember the routes we took, and then I will shows those too. I will include photos when I'm sure it's from a particular sighting, otherwise at the end of the TR, I will post some of my extra photos that I'd like to share.

Day 1: Croc Bridge Gate - Skukuza
This day we took the tar roads pretty much straight through. We stopped at Lower Sabie for a coffee break and Nkulu for a stretch legs break.

This is what we saw on our first day back in KNP: Baboon, kudu, warthog, impala, giaffe, blue wildebeest, baffalo, zebra, fish eagles, hippo, breeding herd of elephant, lappet-faced vulture, little bee-eater, waterbuck, white-backed vulture, batleur eagle pair, vervet monkeys

Day 2: Skukuza
I don't remember this route as I did some of the driving, and so wasn't in charge of the map.

These are the animals we saw: Impala, buffalo, elephant, kudu, blue wildebeest, zebra, dwarf mongoose, giraffe, warthogs, hippo, rhino (butt), leopard tortoise, bushbuck pair, baboons, steenbok.
These are the birds we recorded: Green woodhoopoe, bearded woodpecker, LBR, 5 Ground hornbills, burchells coucal, grey heron, white-breasted cormorant, giant kingfisher, brown-crowned tchagra.

Day 3: Skukuza
Morning drive: not sure of the route.
This is what we saw: Giraffe, kudu, zebra, common duiker, steenbok, blue wildebeest, elephant and martial eagle.

From the Skukuza deck over lunch time: Buffalo, hippo with calf (see photo), southern reedbuck

Lake Panic hide for the afternoon: Hippo, crocodile, black crake with chick, african jacana, green-backed heron, african darter, grey heron, water dikkop (thickknee).

Driving back to camp: giraffe, buffalo, bushbuck, steenbok, kudu, hippo, crested francolin, white-backed vulture, 2 ground hornbills.

Day 4: Skukuza
Route: H1-1/S114/S22/S21/H4-1/H12/H1-2/LOOP/S36/H1-2)

Animals: Impala, elephant, steenbok, zebra, warthog, terrapin, CHEETAH :) and our first YR - Rookie 2009, baboons, kudu, giraffe, male bushbuck, lion, buffalo, hippo, vervet monkey, waterbuck, common duiker, rhino, tree squirrel, WILD DOGS and our second YR - Kate Howells :D, nyala.

Birds: Red-billed oxpecker, bateleur, hoopoe, white-crested helmet shrike, "a raptor" with lizard, fish eagle, tawny eagle, yellow billed stork, koorhaan, emerald spotted dove, natal spurfowl

Overall an absolutely awesome day! Although there are more to come :D

Post subject: Re: Binkie and the Brain's 14 day Camping Trip Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:30 pm 

Hi Everyone :)

Thanks for all the comments. Just to respond in general to some of the questions.

The gazebo! It's fantastic - it meant we had plenty of shade, without the heat of the tent. On the 2 nights it drizzled at Skukuza we could eat dinner outside without getting wet. We've actually just bought a smaller tent to take on weekend trips, that we'll use with the gazebo. We love our big tent but it's a bit of schlep for 2 nights! As far as how long the gazebo takes to put up - 2 of us take about 10 minutes! It's awesome - all attached and folds into a 1mx25cmx25cm bag. You basically pull the structure apart, put the top on and velcro on.

The doggies were an amazing sighting and it was so interesting too! It appeared to be 'puppy training'. There weren't that many adults, but loads of puppies. At first they were all hanging around, then the next thing a large waterbuck come sprinting out of the bush to our left and across the road. All the puppies chased after it, and then there was much scolding from the adults. It was really fun to watch.

I loved the babies that we saw so much of on this trip. Lots of baby hippos, eles, baboons and monkeys. I was a bit sad we missed the baby antelope though.

Ok next post to follow shortly!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:46 pm 

Day 5 - Skukuza

Morning drive: H1-1/S114/S112/H3/H1-1/transport dam/H1-1)

Animals: Giraffe, Elephant, Wild Dogs :D :big_eyes: AGAIN (7 mins out the gate!!), zebra, kudu, impala, common duiker, klipspringer, waterbuck

Birds: Grey Heron

I wasn't able to get photos of the doggies this time. It was a very grey morning and it was 5.37am (I know this from someone else in camp). Again it looked like "puppy training". As we arrived we saw only 2 adults and about 10 puppies. There were a few zebra on the side of the road having their breakfast. The 1 adult as encouraging the puppies to worry the zebra. But every time the zebra turned around the puppies all just scattered! It was so cute to watch. There was one "banggat" (scaredy cat) puppy who stayed as far away from the zebra as he could without being nipped, and when everyone scattered, he hid behind the car in front of us. It was such fun watching the interactions of the pack!

Photo of this drive - the every photogenic klipspringers:

Afternoon drive: H11/S1/S65/H1-1/H1-2/H1-1

Animals: Elephant, impala, zebra, lion, baboon, steenbok, rhino, kudu, common duiker, bushbuck and crocodile.
Birds: Sainson's spurfowl (we stopped to figure out exactly which one it was), crested francoling and marabou stork

During the day we had to do laundry so were in camp a bit. I did manage to get my fav photo of the trip that afternoon.

A "bloukop kokkermannetjie" :tongue: or in English - a male tree agama :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:53 pm 

I wanted to also include the sightings we had from or in camp. So here is the list for Skukuza:

Vervet monkeys (promptly at 7.45am every morning), white tailed mongoose on 2 ocassions, blue headed tree agama, purple crested touracao (lourie), oriole (not sure which one), glossy starling and yellow-billed hornbill. We also heard hyena the one night - they were so loud I nearly jumped through the tent wall!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 pm 

OK I know I'm posting a lot today, but I took my half day off work, and it means I have some time on my hands. I also leave this weekend for a week in the Seychelle's so I won't be posting for a while after Saturday, so I thought I better try do as much as I can now!

Day 6: The long drive to HEAVEN! Balule

I'm toying with the idea of giving you a point by point list of my sightings for this day. The reason for this is I actually have the time of each sighting - it'll be a long post, but I think it's interesting to see what I wrote down. And how even though we thought we had quite a quiet day with sightings, how often we actually saw "something"! Ok so here goes... hope you don't get too bored! I promise not to do it for the other days.

Route: H4-1/H12/H1-2/H1-3/H1-4/S92/S90

0901 impala
0903 warthog
0905 guinea fowl (or panfry as we call them)
0914 kudu bulls 4
0918 kudu females
0920 vervet monkeys, impala and hippo
0922 giraffe
0932 steenbok (they claim these are hard to see!!)
0935 goliath heron
0940 giraffe
0943 LEOPARD - my first one in the wild :D unfortunately no photos. It was quite a young one, but moving around and about 20 cars trying to get a chance to see
0945 common duiker
0949 terrapin
1003 batleur eagle male
1004 giraffe
1008 LION (that's 2/5)
1009 waterbuck, red-billed oxpecker
1013 kudu
1014 black-headed oriole
1026 giraffe
1031 steenbok
1036 leeupan - nothing!
1038 dwarf mongoos (but it doesn't really count 'cos only I saw it and our rule is we both have to see it to record it, but I was writing so I put it down anyway)
1042 elephants - breeding herd (3/5)
1052 baboons and impala
1145 left Tshokwane
1149 elephant
1153 kudu
1157 giraffe and kudud
1159 Muzithi Waterhole: blue wildebeest, warthog, elephant, impala, kudu, wooly-necked store, egyptian geese, hippo, blacksmith lapwing, ground hornbills, waterbuck, juvenile saddlebilled stork

1216 giraffe
1218 ground hornbills
1222 steenbok
1224 giraffe
1229 kudu, vervet monkeys
1231 elephant
1304 zebra
1309 elephants
1326 giraffe babies, blue wildebeest
1328 zebra and blue wildebeest (gnus)
1341 lappet-faced vulture and steenbok
1345 southern reed buck
1348 buffalo (4/5)
1349 wildebeest (wilder beesties)
1351 RHINO - our first ever BIG 5 day completed :)

1351 giraffe and buffalo too
1358 ostrich and steenbok
1404 buffalo
1405 kori bustard (the Brain's fav bird)
1409 lappet-faced and white-headed vultures
1412 ground hornbill (4)
1418 elephant, zebra, impala, kudu, wooly-necked stork, giraffe, baboons
1428 batleur eagle male
1438 Olifants River Bridge - waterbuck, giraffe, elephant, impala
1448 kurrichane's buttonquail (would never have spotted except for the birders who had stopped)

arrived at Balule :)

That night we heard hippo, lion and leopard during the night!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 pm 

Day 7: Day trip from Balule to Letaba

Route: S92/H8/S44/S93/S46/S94/H1-5/S91

We left camp at 0935, got to Letaba around 1300, headed back to Balule at 1458 and got back to camp around 1700. I'll give times for the interesting sightings, but here are the lists:

Sightings in order of first time for the day: impala, baboons, hippos, fish eagle, elephants, waterbuck, kudu, giraffe, klipspringer and malachite kingfisher from Olifants lookout, common duiker, african openbill, crocodile, yellow-billed egret, dwarf mongoose, slender mongoose, tree squirrel, koorhaan, zebra, hyena and scrub hare.

The dwarf mongoose, slender mongoose and squirrels were at the Letaba Day visitors area. Which we think is one of the best in Kruger! What was fun watching the mongeese was to see that the dwarf was clearly the stronger of the 2. The slender one often lay prostrate when the dwarf came close. It was interesting to watch the interactions!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:20 am 

Hi All

Thank you for your comments and for following my TR. I really am proud of myself for actually doing my best to complete this one. With my previous TR I had high hopes, but somehow life got in the way. I am making sure that I finish this one!

Day 8 Balule and River Walk from Olifants

Morning Drive before river walk: Route S90/S89/H1-5/H8

We left camp at 0650 and saw the following: white-backed vulture, giraffe, impala, koorhaan, blue wildebeest, blue waxbills, zebra, lions mating, steenbok, crocodile, yellow-billed kite, red duiker (VERY AWESOME)!

We arrived at Olifants at 0838 for our river walk at 9, and it was already 32C!!

On the River Walk we saw: hippo, impala, bushbuck, lion (very briefly as she ran into the reeds), goliath heron, open-billed stork, grey heron, brown-hooded kingfisher, water monitor, martial eagle, grey hawk-eagle. We also got up close and personal with a 3 day old buffalo carcass which was very unique.

We rewarded ourselves with lunch at Olifants and headed back to Balule at 1246. On the way we saw kudu, elephant, waterbuck, egyptian geese, blacksmith lapwing and white-backed vultures.

Afternoon drive in next post.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:35 am 

Day 8 cont - Afternoon Drive

Route: S90/S89/H1-5/S91

Sightings: Giraffe, impala, elephant, martial eagle with juv in nest, zebra, kori bustards, kudu, elephant, crocodile, buffalo, black crake, swifts, hippo.

This was the local hippo at the low water bridge just before Balule - I love how he's blowing bubbles in the water.

I'm away for a week - so you'll have to wait until I'm back to hear about our really super awesome sightings on day 9! They take up 3 1/2 pages in my book!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:33 pm 

OK - I'm back. I really am sorry for the delay. :redface: It's that time of the year. I got back from the Seychelles trip and had so many other commitments almost every evening and weekends. So here goes - lets hope I can get this finished before 2010 is over!!

Day 9 - Full day drive: Balule - N'wanetse - Sweni - Satara - Balule

Route: S90/S41/h6/N'wanetsi picnic spot/Sweni hide/S41/S100/H1-3.4.5/H8/S92

Sightings in order: 06h34 scrubhare, waterbuck, impala, koorhaan, giraffe, warthogs, zebra, swainson's spurfowl, Banga waterhole - zebra, blue wildebeest, warthog, guienea fowl; zebra, steenbok, giraffe, kudu,, steenbok, african hawk-eagle pair, big kudu bulls, zebra, steenbok, zebra and blue wildebeest, kudu, giraffe, impala, sable!!, zebra, blue wildebeest, giraffe, white backed vulture, kori bustard, blue wildebeest, zebra, kudu, impala, marabou stork, warhog, waterbuck, kudu, impala, marabou stork, blue wildebeest, zebtra, waterbuck, imapal, Gudzani lake - elephant, hippo, zebtra, impala, blue wildebeest, pied kingfisher; crocodile, elephant, greenbacked heron, grey heron, black crake, giraffe, hippo, zebra, blue wildebeest, impala, waterbuck, kudu, giraffe,
11h45 left N'wanetsi picnic site - saw waterbuck, baboon, impala, crocodile, egyptian goose with goslings, yellow-billed kite, white faced ducks.
12h16 Sweni Hide - waterbuck, elephant, crocodile, giraffe, impala, hippo, african jacana, black crake, yellow-billed heron, commin moorhen
12h27 driving again: waterbuck, steenbok, giraffe, impala, zebra, baboons, impala, hippo, crocodile, terrapin, juv grey heron, green-winged pytilia, zebra, blue wildebeest, zebtra, kudu, impala, brown-hooded kingfisher, giraffe, waterbuck, zebra, kudu, elephants, giraffe, zebra, tawny eagle, secretary birds, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, giraffe, zebra, batleur, vervet monkeys, giraffe, waterbuck, crocodile, kudu, elephant, wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, ostrich, mountain reedbuck, elephant, buffalo, lion, elephant, giraffe, zebra, kudu, lesser spotted eagle.
Back at camp at 17h00.

Here are some of the highlight photos:

Part of the sable group we saw:

The cutest steenbok couple we saw:

This was interesting to watch:

The mother and her goslings were feeding in the shallows when the croc decided to sun himself. She started squawking and they all gathered together in a tight bunch. Then they relaxed a bit, but every time the croc moved the mother would go mad squawking. She managed to keep her babies safe that day!

And this was the highlight of the S100 - not my favourite road!! We saw very little other than waterbuck and giraffe. A few birds, but nothing really special. But I love this photo.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:44 pm 

Day 10 - Balule - Maroela

Packed up our camp and left our favourite camp at 08h25

Route: S91/H1-5/H1-4/H7

Sightings: Giraffe, hippo, spotten thick-knee, cormorant, impala, kudu, elephant, steenbok, crocodile, blak crake, swift, slender mongoose, kori bustard, buffalo, zebra, wildebeest, warthogs, ostrich, rhino, zebra, ground hornbills, pied kingfisher, white backed vulture in nest.

Mostly a day of general game, but this was a drive from one camp to another, so we don't spend too much time stopped, and we don't do too many detours.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:51 pm 

Day 11: Maroela Morning drive

Route: H7/S106/H7/S12/S40/H7

Left camp 06h05 back at about 09h15

Sightings: warthogs, blue wildebeest, impala, giraffe, buffalo, dwarf mongoose, steenbok, rhino, zebra, elephant, ground hornbill, baboon, waterbuck, steppe buzzard, burchell's coucal, lion, tawny eagle, common duiker, tree squirrel, saddlebilled stork, green wood-hoopoe, white backed vulture, slender mongoose.

This is one of my favourite photos of the Ground Hornbills:

And the cute dwarf mongoose:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:26 pm 

Sorry for posting the same photo twice. Proof that when you wait too long for writing the trip report, you get the photos confused.

Ok onto Day 12!

Day 12 - Maroela
What started out as a morning drive, but lasted from 07h15 - 15h00!!

Route: H7/S39/Timbavati Picnic site/Ratelpan Hide/S40/H7

Sightings: Impala, warthogs, buffalo (1/5), cheetah with a kill (photo sequence below), zebra, brown-hooded kingfisher, guinea fowl, wildebeest, giraffe, common duiker, steenbok, elephant (2/5), natal spurfowl, Bobbejanskran - saddlebilled stork pair, water monitor, hammerkop, pied kingfisher; waterbuck, lion (3/5), ostrich, leopard in a tree :D (4/5), white backed vulture, kudu, Ratelpan hide - elephants, egyptian gees, grey heron, hippo, blacksmith lapwing, three banded plover, lion, quelea, spoonbill; Nsemani dam - elephant swimming, warthogs, saddlebilled stork, hippo, fish eagle, blue wildebeest, crocodile, impala. Lots of general game between the hide and the dam.

So now the awesome photos from this day:

Cheetah sequence:

You could see that it was exhausted. We arrived just after the kill had happened. The cheetah was still clamped down on the windpipe of the impala when we first arrived. It then dragged it a few meters to better cover. It spent a few minutes sitting panting, and looking around nervously. Then dragged the carcas further into the bush - this was when people were stopping and you're saying things like "if you watch the bush just to the right of that tree for a few minutes, you might see his head pop up". Then it dragged the carcas even deeper and we could no longer get a good view.

My beautiful leopard in a tree - that we nearly missed! We drove past once, then realised that we'd probably missed it 'cos people had said the lions and leopard were together. It's proof that different people are more focussed on different cats. The first car we stopped (European foreigners) pointed to the lions on the other bank of the river, and in passing mentioned there was a leopard further up. The lions were clearly their focus! It wasn't until we turned around and asked a South African couple that we were eagerly directed to the leopard in the tree right by the road!! It was proof of how easily you can miss things in Kruger.

And my photo of 2 of the big 5 in one photo:

Look in the bottom left space for the male lion on the opposite bank.

And our handsome photogenic ostrich:

The last 2 days to follow shortly I promise!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:18 pm 

Thanks everyone for following my TR and commenting. I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up.

Day 13 - Full day from Maroela 08h02 - 14h53

Route: H7/S106/S140/S145/S36/S125/H1-3/H7

For fun I'm going to use our nicknames for the animals in todays sightings list:

Gnu, wartie, impies, zebs, warties, wildy beasties, steenbokkie, leopard tortoise, tawny eagle, gnu, impala, common duiker, waterbuck, kudu, Mr G-Raff, brown-hooded kingfisher, buffalo, hyena, lions, white-backed vultures, gnus and impies, waterbuck, impala, baboons, hippos, zebra, elephant, warties.

Heres some photos from the day:

The wartie family we saw every day near Maroela.

It was a very hot day - everyone needed a wallow!

The tawny eagle with a lizard kill

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]