Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: MM Training brides for Ndloti and other predicaments. Oct 10
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I had decided not to write any more individual trip reports, but rather consolidate. That has changed after my last trip, which is still being digested.
I need a bit of time to think about this one.

My last trip was not alone, nor was it with family. An aquantance had hit a blood pressure of over 160.

"You need Kruger", said MM.. she jumped at it.. as did her friend. So started an experience of note.

The build up was interesting. What to bring became a point of much discussion. It did not take me long torealise that I was dealing with Kruger camping virgins. For the sake of anoniminity I will call them VB1 and VB2.

Well, MM is always ready for a challenge, so lets see if we can get them trained enough for potential brides for Ndloti... you know, bush wise and passionately commited.

Maybe I should have thought more carefully. My first real inkling of trouble came while packing "Trusted Beauty" late at night. (that is another story)

MM looked at the 2 cases of wine going into the trailer. 2 Cases for 5 nights :hmz:

"I won't be drinking any wine" says MM concerned.

"Ah", says VB2, "don't worry, we also have a few bottles of gin". :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Training brides for Ndloti and other predicaments.
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for alerting me TheunsH ....
.......Wwwwhhhaat is this bit of folly really about ?

You must be angry with your friends , MM .
Are your friends awaiting transfer from that waiting prison services van , MM ?
Once they have been trained to face this sort of situation in Kruger I will consider phase 3 ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Well, MM is always ready for a challenge, so lets see if we can get them trained enough for potential brides for Ndloti... you know, bush wise and passionately commited.
MM looked at the 2 cases of wine going into the trailer. 2 Cases for 5 nights :hmz:

For every readers information ...

I seldom venture into the realms of the trip reports for fear of their addictive powers which could induce a relapse of wilderness fever - it was only due to a faithfull friend in the form of TheunsH that I was alerted to this impending parody of my well deserved life , a hard fought for & much coveted bachelor independence .

I was not present during the escapade that this report will describe , let alone notified of the indulgence in journalistic licence being employed here with the use of my good name & reputation (would I ever accompany 3 ladies to the KNP ???) ... but needless to say even if I had been invited I would have no part in any trip that does not include duct tape to silence any hyena laugh impersonations which tend to accompany wine consumption . and the destination must be the wilderness trail camps or a sojourn here ...

Nonetheless MM , you have stimulated my interest and I look forward to reading this with bated breath - I am captivated !!

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Katja, Vgs, Moggiedog, JJ, Lion Queen, Norms, Scipio, Mizzbee, Oddesey, Rooies, Theuns, Flutterby, Bushfairy, Stark, Billyf, AKadia, Hugh, Inyati, Pjw, Leelee, Bushbuddies, Shi :lol: :lol: :lol: thank you for watching.. I have never had such an audience.

It's amazing what happens when you mention Ndloti and brides in one sentance :wink: oops :redface: sorry, sentence....

Ndloti, oh my goodness, don't protest too much. :naughty: Skatie, you should never have stood in such a pose in your bush paradise. You never know who might be watching.

Leelee has given a picture of Trusted Beauty. This is the "Trusted Beauty" who went in for a revamp the day before our trip. It is also the "Trusted Beauty" who is still without aircon. :big_eyes: You can imagine how VB1 and VB2 coped.

I will be honest in saying that my last trip was a complete eye opener. I am used to myself and consider myself to be the "norm".. oh dear, we are so not the norm. :roll:

I am sorry that I cannot write too much more, my windows has upgraded and my photobucket cannot cope. I am busy recycling pictures.

A few highlights to come:
MM wants to hide her yellow ribbon....
Serpents in the fence...
Gin, smokes and swimming pools.....
Fire, what fire?....
Floating Gazebos and other animals ...
Toilet hugging in 3D...

Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Oh dear, thank you all for your support and patience. I did not intend to wait this long, but a remnant of a Kruger bug combined with Windows 2011 confusion burst my bubble a bit. :(

I need to write quickly as I will be leaving soon for lunch. For this reason I will just fill in a little background.

I had no intention of doing an October trip. I needed to put my focus on the up and coming KNP trip and any spare pennies needed to give Trusted Beauty a bit of an uplift.

VB1 and VB2 had hinted that they were tired and keen to share my bush experiences. Nothing like a bit of flattery to go the extra mile.

I was well aware of an annoying little birdie that kept telling me to take Trusted Beauty in for a service and check up before packing up. I was also going to be taking a beeeeeggg trailer for the first time.

To say that MM cut things fine would be an understatement. Trusted Beauty went in for her service the day before we were due to leave. That is my bad judgement and I have learnt my lesson. There were panic stations when more work was needed to be done and I had to bribe my son to go and collect my car.

At 7pm I left work to pick up the trailer. By 8pm I was ready to start packing the car. I was keen to get to a place where the sun always sets with beauty.

Not so VB1 and VB2. They still had to sort out their suitcases. :big_eyes: VB1 still had to do her share of shopping. :big_eyes: MM was by now getting very concerned. I needed to get to Croc Bridge, drop off the trailer, set up the fridges and get to Afsaal all before 12md the next day. :big_eyes:

These two bush virgins were not scoring brownie points. :hmz:

At 10:30 the bush virgins arrived. We started packing. I looked at their most important item.... a rather large bar fridge. They looked at my little fridge and stated with confidence.."we can use your fridge for the food and our fridge for the drinks". Their fridge took up a large part of the trailer.

MM is not used to being a mother superior, but I needed to get to bed. It would be l new experience for me to drive with a trailer and now at 11:30 I would be needing all the sleep that I could get. I told them to to go to sleep. :evil:

At 12:30 I was woken up by loud laughter. They had found the bottle openers and glasses. By 1:30 it was silent.

AT 3am MM put the morning kettle on. Bleary horrified eyes peeked out of duvets..

"time to get up", says MM with wicked glee.

ah, revenge is sooooo sweet :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lets get on with it.

I was very impressed with how Trusted Beauty managed the massive trailer with the tents, more tents, cases of wine, fridges, food, more food, gazebo, chairs, table, sleeping stuff... and of course, the gin 8)

Don't get me wrong.. MM is no angel :twisted: she has just learnt that a Kruger hangover is the worst hang over to have. It wastes a day in paradise. :(

A note for others: the new route bypassing Nelspruit is really wonderful. I was only sorry to miss out on my Halls stop over :( it had become a bit of a ritual with me. I hope that Halls don't loose out too much financially.

The reason why I needed to get to Afsaal by 12md was to meet up with Normana53. I was really looking forward to meeting up with him and his wife.

We did make it, after many chewed finger nails. After "dumping" the trailer at Croc Bridge with the fridges cooling what needed to be cooled, we set out for Afsaal via Biyamiti.

It was lovely to meet up with fellow mites and fellow nature lovers. Normana, do you remember this little hyperactive critter?

After meeting up with Normana and SO we made our wayback to Croc Bridge. MM was by now pretty tired. The sleeping beauties had done some catching up en route, but MM had been on the go for many, many hours. My children will tell you that a tired mommy is not always a nice mommy. :evil:

Arriving at Croc Bridge did soothe my mood somewhat. Now it was time to set up camp.

VB1 and VB2 decided that first things first

and prepared the sundowner gin, took out the chairs and proceeded to watch MM "pour out her tent". You show us first :huh: was the refrain.

Fortunately a guardian angel appeared in the form of one of the domestic staff. She was wonderful. It also galvanised VB1 and VB2 into action as they did not want to loose out on this unexpected help.

Our camping site.

oh dear, my screen is jumping too much. I am getting sea sick.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lion Queen, was was actually a pretty cool set up, thank you.

It was now going towards bedtime. MM's new stretcher and matresss were calling. There is nothing like the fading Kruger light to calm and mystify.

VB1, VB2 and MM had agreed that we were all too tired for a braaied supper. We popped into the shop and bought some rolls. There were lovely woolies frankfurters waiting for a quick "hotdog".

MM got ready to warm up the hotdogs.... only .. suddenly MM remembered... the pots were still at home :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: in the chaos of packing the tents, fridges, cases of wine, cutlery, ground sheets, picnic stuf... the pots were still at home.. indeed in all the mess.. it had been forgotten.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ndloti, I don't give up easily, but sometimes I have to recognise when I am beaten. I am not sure if its your standards though, the raw material, or the gin :hmz: methinks the raw material was not too bad.

Wildflowergirl, I actually did do the cooking, but I left the dishes to the bushvirgins. :twisted: I know which one I prefer.

Pantero Leo, this would have been ideal for people training for field guide experience.

Hugh, August sounds like a good idea :wink: but I'm not doing more cooking.

Flutterby, after this report, they might want to protect their identities. I think I must protect their identities :lol: :lol:

Elsa, the lost trail gets better. :lol:

Pjw, AKadwa, billyf, no pots soon became the least of my problems.

Sanpfan, I soon learnt of the medicinal properties of gin.. I also learnt, unlike beer, it does not put you to sleep :big_eyes:

Moggiedog :lol: :lol: oh dear, good time is a relative concept.

Vlakvarksevrou.. you have introduced the next section, Komatiepoort.

Let me say at this pooint that MM always has a plan B in her pocket. Once I realised, no pots and pans, out came the cob. I do love that little life saver. 8) We had spanich sausages, thanks to woolies, braaied on the cob.

By now I was tired. I had been on the go non stop since 3am with no sleep. I decided to charge my cell phone battery, as I was expecting messages from Chappie and Gerhard.. that is when I realised... my cell phone charger was no more :big_eyes: :big_eyes: it had become a techno fatality. :(

Nothing to it... into bed think about it tomorrow.

Meanwhile VB1 and VB2 got their second wind :big_eyes: rejuvinated by the gin, the party started. I woke up frequently to the sound of rather loud laughter.. should I tell them :rtm: but MM was almost paralysed with tiredness.

Instead, MM had a night time revenge fantasy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Anne Marie, sweet revenge indeed :lol: :lol: :lol: and well done on your new horns :thumbs_up:

I woke up to the sound of the birds.... and the sound of snoring in the next tent.

I decided that waking Ndloti's potential brides was not a good idea, for me that is. I wanted to enjoy my early morning drive on my own. I had to go to Komatiepoort later so might as well drink in the best of the day. 8)

My morning amusement.

The expectation of the journey

MM thinking of returning for breakfast

I found 2 rather subdued bushvirgins on my return.. sipping gin, what do they say, the hair of the dog :wink: . I explained that I would need to go to Komatiepoort and they decided to rather stay in the camp and chill.

I managed to get a cell phone charger close to the Spar, but no pots.

Nothing to it, time for a Komatiepoort adventure.

I found a rather grubby looking "Shoprite", but it seemed to have the needed items. I stood in a long queue waiting. In front a woman paid for her paltry items with copper coins. While I was happy with my bargain, 3 pots for R50, she was facing a more dire future.

Afterwards I felt sorry that I had not done anything to assist her. I had not taken in the extent of her poverty. I thought of her often in the day and just prayed that she would be safe and fed.

It was a sobering moment as I came to face our different realities. How we all live on dreams and hope.

I walked out of the store feeling humbled.

A couple of pictures of Komatiepoort, another face of Africa.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
VGS :D welcome back :thumbs_up:

On my way back to camp I received a message from Gerhadt who was also in the Park. Lions on the S21.. and Leopard close to Lower Sabie :D I was very happy. Now at least I had some cool stuff to offer my guests. I realised by now that we would not be sitting in companiable silence listening to the birds :wink:

Maybe some clever person can help me with this hyperactive little one seen close to Lower Sabie.

I rushed back as quickly as possible to break the news. The angels were chilling, really chilling in the shade of the Gazebbo. MM provided the news, the motivation and the instruction to get ready to go.

A while later we were still not ready. This is not good for Ndloti :naughty:

MM telling them to stop pfaffing :naughty:

Definition of Pfaffing: lots of activity with no result. :roll: I can just see Ndloti at this point.

Please help me with this little bird as well. It was also pfaffing so much that it would not sit still :evil:

It was also approaching lunch time and we needed some food to dilute the gin. The picnic basket was packed. Bacon, eggs, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, bread rolls, gin and 2 bottles of wine. :hmz:

A typical Lower Sabie scene on the way to Nkhulu.

Another flighted resident.

My screen is jumping, so I will have to stop.

Next chapter:
gifts from above and sightings to die for.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I hope to get some repoert done over the weekend. My house is full of family right now and there s not too much time to sit at the computer. Fortunately my early rising is rarely challenged.

Something most blessed on my last trip :wink: I can give thanks to my early bird inclinations. It saved my sanity :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flutterby, I learnt many things about the medicinal powers of gin. :wink:

Micetta, Moggiedog, I have said before, MM is no angel, but this was way beyond my powers of understanding.

Elsa, Noel thanks for the ID's :thumbs_up: . I will post a couple more pictures later in the report of the more elusive bird.

Theuns, Sanpfan, Xankanka.. I knew that I was in trouble when I suggested our firdt drive and it was turned down because it was tooo long. This is to a MM who can spend the full day out and chase the gate closing time :roll: Nor sure how Ndloti would deal with that :hmz:

Salamanda, not sure at the end if it was graduate or capitulate :lol: :lol: :lol:

CB, Katja, Pjw, hold tight for more sightings.. of a both fair and foul nature. 8)

Norms :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: enjoy.

A taste of the next thread. My computer just starts to jump.

I was fascinated by the amount of Yellow Billed Storks at Sunset Dam. I decided to get a picture of a couple close to an old log. Interesting old log, not so :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Elzet, I knew that you would understand :wink:

My two Bushvirgins were keen to go to see the Lions on the S21. I was concerned about the late hour, as I know that Nkhulu closes at a certain time. We needed a skottle and I needed to eat. I told the Bushvirgins that the Lions were not going anywhere in this heat.. but my stomach was :naughty:

We arrived just in time. The attendant was not very happy about having to clean a skottle and wait around. It was about 2pm.

I suggested the BV's find a comfortable space with shade and a view while I cooked... not a good idea. MM has never worked a skottle before and it took sometime before she realised that you have to actually light the darn thing :redface: :redface: :redface:

So with a strong smell of gas and rumbling tummy the braai up started.

Well, this was a point where the Bushvirgins had a good lesson in selective seating. VB1 was enjoying her seat, sipping her wine when she started to feel her head :huh: something was amiss.

We looked up:

The culprit ready, aim, fire :sniper:

I suggested we move, but my companions had reached the stage of gin saturation that the senses were mildly aneathtised to the discomforts of bird pooh :lol: :lol:

Another hopeful waiting for a mouthful: This is what my dog does.

We left Nkhulu while the birds were fighting in a frenzy over any left overs. I am happy that the problems with Nkhulu are now being sorted out. It is a beautiful site and deserves the best service.

As predicted, MM found the Lions. They were happily lying in the shade close to a dead giraffe. VB2 started tearing for the giraffe. She is a soft hearted lass and I am really very fond of her, but I am not sure how Ndloti would cope :whistle: .

It was not the Lions that got me :dance: :dance: :dance: it was this.

All in all, a wonderful drive :D

I went back, happy and contented. The two bush virgins spoke animatedly..albeit loudly about the sightings..

However, the best was yet to come

another pic of the elusive bird.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Katya, thank you.. stay tuned for more VB2 emotion :lol:

Anne Marie, Salamanda, CB, Pumbaa, Flutterby, Pjw, Oddesey.. more Black Rhino. Actually when I realised that it was a blackie.. I was the one making a noise. was sooooo excited. As you can see this fellow has been in a fight at some stage.

Rookie, fortunately for us it had become more biltong, so the worst of the smell was over. I know though how pungent death can smell. My dogs sometimes bring it in with rotten bones :big_eyes:

Vgs, keep following. I know that you are going to have great fun with your next trip report after playing with your camara.

Lion Queen, Micetta :lol: :lol: :lol: tolerance is not a word to be used lightly here.

OWN, I had decided to taper my trip reports, but this was just too much raw material :wink: Enjoy your writing. :thumbs_up:

Charming, at times I reached a point where I wanted to replace the gin with something more toxic, like botulism :twisted: anything for silence.

Ndloti, oh dear, I am not sure how you would have coped. :lol: :lol: MM actually has a reputation for calm among her peers. Even I was tempted at times to make them walk back to camp. .. I found myself in this space :rtm:

I think the only thing that kept me fairly cautious was the thought of the headlines.

Yellow Ribbon found close to human remains

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pjw, there were many times I wanted to take my ribbon off :wink:

I realised that I needed to get back to camp soon after my Black Rhino sighting. The Rhino was close to Lower Sabie on the main road.

I need at this point to digress a little. On our first day, I was chilled by an ear splitting shriek on our first drive. It was VB2.. "sorry", she said, "but I am terrified of elephants".

an elephant had just come into view.

Well, my good companion "Trusted Beauty", has a special gift with ellies and she played a role in teaching VB2 to be curious, rather than afraid.

The first time I spoke of Trusted Beauty's gift to someone.. there was a look as if to say.. :doh: MM's lost it.

Thing is, Trusted Beauty has a bit of an under carriage problem. I think there is a crack somewhere. It might be why her air con remains mysteriously broken :hmz: . Trusted Beauty picks up low level sound, such as ellie rumbling and amplifies it through my air vents. It is weird, but if I stop my car in the vicinity of ellies.. rumbles are heard loud and clear regarless of whether the ellies are visable or not.

This so fascinated VB2 that she slowly lost her fear.

On out way back to camp, close to the S28 we saw a lone ellie. I was in a hurry. No time to waste. After so many ellies on our trip and a still anxious VB2, why should I stop :huh:

but stop I did :D

and there he was

the king

for years, top of my wish list, I could not have asked for more.

I went to bed that night, smiling.

My frustrations of the day had disappeared. The second wind revelry of my companions in the background faded as I thanked Kruger for such a special gift.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Hugh, stick around for more rollicking moments.

Salamanda, this was a very chilled Black Rhino. It was also seen by Gerhardt and he showed no aggression with him either. I can only think that he has become fairly used to traffic as he was certainly in a densely populated area.

Anne Marie, Duke has such a presence. It is the only way I can describe him. He seems to be so very self contained, carrying the wisdom of his years. There is more to this theme coming up.

Oh dear OWN :lol: :lol: :lol: I experienced very raw and primitive emotions on this trip.

Katja, I need to take Trusted Beauty in for a big repair job on Wednesday. :( The mechanic has said that he will check my air con. It keeps breaking. I have been told.. "it is a pipe.. it is the compressor.. it is out of gas.. it is the filters.."

I do not think that it is the compressor.

Can you imagine the conversation between MM and the mechanic?

Mechanic: Tell me, mam, why you think this is not a compressor problem?
MM: I can hear ellies rumble through my air vents.

Mechanic :hmz: :roll:

It is not a soft rumble, it is loud. Sometimes I can sit in silence at any point.. sudddenly the noise will start. I will wait... and then 90% of the time an ellie will appear. It only happens in the bush.

My children take it for granted that ellies rumble through mom's air vents.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next