Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: PARDUS1029-What a Weekend AT HOME in Kruger-Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello to all!!

What a weekend we had. And I thought that I must share with you guys a few photos.
We (my brother (Gerharddb) and I) arrived on Friday morning 06:00 at Crocbridge. On arrival the Buffalo was welcoming us to the park at the gate. We entered the park and about 5 min later our first scavenger!

We turned onto the S28 in the hope to get a glimpse of Duke. Instead 1km on the S28 we came across a male lion that was clearly looking for something (Maybe his wife). Because he was motoring! We only saw him about 30seconds.
And then about 2km on this little fellow(this was the first time I have see one in the park, o ya I think he knew about the lion because he was running for dear life in the other direction the lion was going.) -

We stopped at Ntandamfene hide and my brother showed me this -

As far as my knowledge goes, this is a leopards print. And FRESH! The waterhole was dry so we continued on with the S28 and on the way we saw a white rhino and some ellies(not Duke :( :( ). We turned left on the H4-2 towards Lower – Sabie.

About 5km from lower – sabie (around 08:00 the morning) the battle for to get the BIG 5 was won!!!! :clap: :dance:

This Beautiful Leopard was relaxing in a tree about 15m from the road. It seemed that he was in a playful mood because he could not sit still in the tree. The he(or she) was sitting up, then hanging halfway out of the tree. Jumping across the branches and just being silly.

That’s all I have time for know. Sorry but I will post some more photos and tell you a bit more of a unbeliveble weekend that just got started. I am sure my brother have some photies to share as well, over to you Gerharddb

Willie De Beer

Post subject: Re: What a Weekend AT HOME in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello to all,

Thank you for all the posts.

We left of at the Leopard sighting! About 100m on there where another Leopard, but it was about 100m-150m from the road.

We left the Leopards be and went on to get something cold to drink in Lower – Sabie. With a cold litchi fruit juice :twisted: :twisted: , we went on heading towards Skukuza. About 2km from camp, we hit traffic!!! :( Although this traffic was good traffic (If you know what I mean) We saw A pride of Lions.

From what I heard this pride was SPECIAL. The one female had a collar on, and it is said that she was one of the lions that was in Lower – Sabie camp. She was the one that they managed to dart. There was only 1 male lion, and he is called Nash. He is notorious form climbing trees and taking the kills from leopards.

We watched them for a while and then headed towards Tshokwane on the H10. We turned right on the S29 and then S122. We saw some wildebeest ,zebra, “nogbokke” (Impala) and some rhino’s. We got to the tar road and turned right on the H10. We then came across this uncle. He was standing about 4m from the road, just relaxing

We went on to Tshokwane and turned left on the H1-2 on our way to Skukuza.

Now for me this was one of the highlights of the trip. These 2 was just walking around hunting. They kicked here and kicked there.
It was 2 secretary birds.

After watching them disappear into the bush we moved on back to Lower – Sabie. Some nice people told us about 2 lions (a male and a female) that was feeding on a giraffe carcase on the S21. We drove there only to see the dead giraffe. The lions was lying and sleeping just out of sight. So we went back to camp to book in and go for a swim. Or so we thought.

When we came to the pride of lions that was about 2 km from camp, the drivers of 3 cars thought it was a good idée that they drive into the veld on a 2 spoor road, to see the lions better :naughty: :naughty: . Of course my brother and I was not happy with this. I parked my car across the entrance to the road and we indicated to them that they must retreat to the tar road. Which they eventually did. We let the manager at Lower – Sabie know about them and the lovely lady told us that the rangers are on the way. We took some nice Photies of their car and number plates :cam: :cam: . And when they past explained to them that this behaviour was not tolerated. Two of the cars was at ease and left. BUT the last was not so happy with us for telling him that he was wrong in driving down into the bush :naughty: :twisted: . He cursed at us and left.(we might have cursed back at him). He came back about 10min later and wanted to know who we where for showing him the errors of his ways. A little dispute followed and he left. After a bout 10min the rangers arrived and “closed” the road.

Thats it for part 2. Part 3 will follow SOON.

Willie de Beer.

Ps: this was the 22 Oct and we stoped at around 13:00 whit the temperature at 42’C

Post subject: Re: What a Weekend AT HOME in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Like I’d said
PARDUS1029 wrote:
I'll Be Back! :roll:

We stopped at when my brother and I had a little dispute with some people about driving into the veld.

So we decided that is was time to go and book in and then take a swim. But fate had a twist. Barley 500m on we came across 2 tawny eagles. It was an adult and an infant. The adult landed about 2m from the car and then we only saw the S.N.A.K.E!!!!!

Ok it was a dead snake but it was a snake none the less. While it started to feed on the snake the infant was sitting in the tree and making a lot off noise. Eventually the adult picked the dead snake up and took it to the infant in the tree. And the 2 enjoyed a nice midday snack.

We left and when we got to the camp they told us the tent was not ready yet. So ones more we got some refreshments and went on our way. Again we took the H10 towards Tshokwane. On the bridge our mother (in another car) told us about a leopard about 2km on.(just pass the S29 turn of). So we went!! ;). As the rest of our family was coming from Orpen we thought that we would sit there and wait for them to show them the leopard.

After we showed the leopard to everyone we went to camp and booked in. With all the goodies taken in to the tent and our swimsuits on, we went to the swimming pool. We relaxed there and recuperate in the pool, when this guy made his appearance.

He was just walking around and having launch for a while and then he left.

We played in the pool for a while and then decided to go for a last drive before the gates closed. We gone to the leopard again only to find that it has left. The reason being that, when he shifted to a new spot in the tree it was sleeping in. It awoke a swarm of bees and they where apparently not happy, and stared to attack the leopard. And as anyone will do if fled. So we drove to the Sunset dam to see what will make their appearance.

And behold a mother and her chicks –

Egyptian Goose.

We sat there up until 17:55 and went to camp to call it a day on a Wonderful first day back home in Kruger.
But just before we left I took this picture of a sunset as it only can be in the park!!

Willie De Beer

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]