Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bushbuddies Weekend Wonder Oct 2010
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We just arrived back home yesterday from a wonderful 2 night/3day trip to Crocodile Bridge, KNP. We had lovely sightings (incl 4 yellow ribbons! :lol: ), HOT weather and peace and rest over these 3 days.

The big 5 every single day!!! :big_eyes:

Now let me get to sorting out all my pictures and then I can share it all with you... :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Weekend Wonder
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We had a HECTIC Friday. But after work, packing and picking up a last thing or two we needed, we worked our way through Gauteng traffic and to Mpumalanga. We stopped for a quick rest in Nelspruit, and were off again the next morning early to enter the gates at 5:30!

After a smooth check-in at Malelane Gate, we were off! Back in our beloved KNP!

First animal spotted: Giraffe.

Next sighting was a pair of Fish Eagles. They were sitting in seperate trees, about 50m apart, calling all the time (LOVE that sound!).

Then they decided to get into one tree midway between them. The landing did not look comfortable. :shock: Their wings got stuck in some of the higher branches and they just seem to sit like that, struggling for some time.

Soon they got their wings back in place, and we were off again. All the cars in front of us kept moving on. I asked SO to first stop. It was just before the turn-off to Berg-en-dal, and I think there was maybe something in that tree down there :hmz: . "Maybe a dead Impala" - I thought. Let me have a look through the binoc's:

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Over all the years you stop and look at trees and think you see something, but then it's just a stick or a branch or some leaves. Today - it was a LEOPARD!!! It was worth all the previous "stop and look" situations that turned out to be nothing!

We were ecstatic. Barely 5 minutes into the park and a leopard! We stayed with him/her for 45 minutes.

It moved its head a bit...

Gave a nice big yawn....

A small stretch...

And after 45 minutes, she/he finally got up...

Gave a big streeeeeetch...

And climbed down the tree.

It disappeared into the bushes. It was a magical 45 minutes!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We left the leopard sighting at about 6:25, and moved on towards Afsaal. It was quite overcast, and the light wasn't too wonderful for :cam: .

On our way to Afsaal saw the following:

This Wahlberg's Eagle (Bruinarend)

A Korhaan

This hyena came walking out of the bushes. Once on the road she picked up speed and ran down the road for some distance. It looked as if she was highly pregnant! :shock:

A creature that is very common around this area - the white rhino!

Arrived safely at Afsaal, and got a "skottelskaar" to start a full breakfast - KNP-style! 8) Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, onions, banana, sausages... And the song came to mind: "Cholesterol, cholesterol skep tog net my bordjie vol!" (Cholesterol, cholesterol, please give me a full plate!)

While in camps or at picnic sites, we love to look for and appreciate the little things. So got the camera and took a few shots of birdies and creatures in the picnic area.

First up - the resident Scops Owl (Skopsuil)

A White-browed Robin-Chat (Heuglingjanfrederik)

A beautiful Red-headed Weaver was eagerly building a nest...

...under supervision of his wife!

And now - for your daily dose of "Aahhh - CUTE!"... Watched these two squirrels (mom and little one) for some time. Luckily the lens was ready when this moment arrived. The mom was looking at me, and little one wanted mom to give HER all the attention! So she started kissing mommy...

And if that doesn't help - I'll kiss her on the mouth!

Come now Mommy - don't look at her, look at me!

And, eventually - Mommy gave her a kiss back!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After our lovely "brekkie" at Afsaal, we continued on towards Croc Bridge. The clouds started clearing, the sun came through, and temperatures started rising. :redface:

We turned South on the H2-2. One of the many areas that was quite extensively burnt. In most of the burnt areas, the first shades of green started coming through, and I'm sure by this time, KNP has got a good green tinge to it! :thumbs_up:

First up - a first time bird for us - a Senegal Lapwing (Kleinswartvlerkkiewiet):

Our bird book said they are usually found in short or recently burnt grass! So this one read the book, and knew where to hang out! :wink:

Next up - some Ellies. They were busy helping themselves to some fresh bark off some lovely older trees. Hope the trees will survive... :pray:

We then went on to Gardenia hide. Still some water there! Last year this time we found it empty...

And enjoying themselves in and around the water - this Blacksmith Lapwing (Bontkiewiet)

A Hamerkop (You guessed the Afrikaans...)

And this mom and young son coming to enjoy a drink, and a lovely roll around in the mud!

After we spent some quiet moments - all by ourselves - with these lovely creatures, we decided to move on.

So on the road again and on the Crocodile River Road (S25) to get to Croc Bridge.

On our way we saw some more of the regulars:

An Impala being groomed by a Red-billed Oxpecker (Rooibek renostervoel)

Steenbokkie

White-backed Vulture (Witrugaasvoel)

Lilac-breasted Roller (Gewone troupant)

And for today's dose of cute - some more babies!

A little Ellie!

And a lovely young kudu-bull in the making:

(Just look at those little horns sprouting... :P )

We arrived at Croc Bridge just before 1pm. We were feeling quite exhausted by now! Our day started very early. But with the new check-in times, coldn't check-in yet... :evil:

So got ourselves some ice-creams and cooled down under the trees. Okay - that only lasted like 15 minutes! :roll: So decided to go and see if there wasn't maybe any chance of booking in earlier. And :dance: - we were so happy - they checked us in - our chalet was ready for us! So off to our room for an afternoon nap in an airconned chalet... 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a lovely afternoon nap, we decided to go for an afternoon drive up to Lower Sabie via the S28. Thus far we've seen our leopard, some ellies and rhinos. The other two were waiting for us in our afternoon drive - in very close proximity to each other... :whistle:

It was quite hot by now... :redface: And the animals felt it too. This rhino was trying to get a little bit of shade to cool him down

And this proud mother (of at least 13!!!!) was helping her chicks cross the road.

There are some that swear by the good sightings you'll get on the S28, but all-in-all we found the S28 to be a very quiet road this afternoon. Maybe it was just because of the hot weather - we decided we would give it another try the next morning.

Back on the tar road (H4-2) and just South of Lower Sabie, we saw a huge herd of buffalo in the Sabie River - chilling out! There were hundreds of them - spread out in little groups, drinking water and lazing around...

They obviously did not see what we saw! :shock:

There was a bit of a car pile-up around the buffaloes, but I couldn't think that that was the only thing keeping the cars there. So we went to enquire... :huh:

"If you look on the other side of the river - on the banks - there are lions lying there..." :big_eyes:

And here is the proof - zoomed in and cropped to the max:

That completed our big 5 for the day - the last two: buffalo and lion - in one sighting.

It was becomming quite late by now and after a quick hello at Sunset Dam - turned back to Croc Bridge.

On our way back: The resident Fish Eagle (Visarend) - we always spot a pair of them next to the Sabie River just South of Lower Sabie.

And one of the last sightings before entering the gate to camp:

SO and I actually started a bit of a "game" - seeing what the last animal sighting would be before entering the gate to camp. The rhino's were close every time (there seems to be an abundance of them close to Croc Bridge), but the first night - a warthog won!

It was a long day, filled with lovely sightings and the creation of more memories in Kruger - together as bushbuddies! And what would a Kruger evening be without a nice braai to end the day! :thumbs_up:

To be conitnued...

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Rookie2009! :thumbs_up:

After a lovely first night at Croc Bridge camp, we headed out the next morning at 5:30. Just outside the gate, we saw a big pack of hyenas (Is it a pack???). The light was not good, and didn't get the best :cam: , but here you can see two of them:

We counted 7 in one spot!

As already mentioned - we decided to take the S28 again this morning. Apparently it is a great road for spotting cheetah. And well, we've never been lucky enough to see cheetah in KNP! So off we went - to go spot our early morning cheetahs... :whistle:

Well, the S28 did not impress us... again. No cheetah, but also, not much else... :doh:

Did take a pic of this Crested Francolin (Bospatrys)

We turned left on the S137, and decided to head to Duke's Waterhole. On the road to the waterhole we saw a herd of elephant. One of the elephants had interesting tusks. I'm pretty sure it was a cow - and her tusks were quite big and pointed in opposite directions. Does anybody know if she is a known elephant in this area - or maybe an upcoming tusker?

Duke's Waterhole was dry, and did not have any sightings. Back on the S137, we got a close up with 2 rhino's with at least 3 red-billed ox-peckers on each. It made for some good :cam: opportunities!

We then turned back and headed towards Lower Sabie. Our next big sighting was just before Lower Sabie. Unfortunately I did not get any pic's - everything happened so fast! It was an amazing sighting! :big_eyes: I'll try my best to put it in words...

As we approached Lower Sabie, we saw a car pile-up on the bridge just South of the camp over the Sabie river. So we decided to cross the bridge and go and see what they were seeing before going to LS. As we approached the other side of the bridge we saw a troop of baboons on the bank, some Impala grazing and a waterbuck in the river. It was a lovely, peaceful setting. We rolled down the window and asked one of the viewers what they were seeing. Apparently there was a leopard (!) lying in a patch of grass inbetween all these animals! :shock: We saw the patch of grass, but no sign of the leopard. In fact the baboons were playing right next to the patch of grass - and apparently, they also did not see the leopard.

Then it all happened. One of the baboons in the area spotted the leopard and the warning call rang through the air. The other baboons joined in and they all ran to the bottom of the river bank, calling all the way and looking intently at the patch of grass. Two of the biggest males in the troop came over to the calling group and looked in the direction of the grass. They did not hesitate for a moment but walked right up to the patch where the leopard was lying. The one got up on his hindfeet and lifted himself to see if there was something lying in the patch of grass. He spotted the leopard :shock: ... Then he gave a big cry and the two big baboons went on to ATTACK the leopard! :shock: In a fraction of a second, the leopard jumped out of the grass and ran off into the distance - the baboons chasing it all the way! I never thought I would see baboons taking on a leopard - but there it was - all playing off in front of my eyes in the space of just a few seconds....WOW! We were just there in the right place in the right time!

And one of the reasons we just arrived at the right time - was because I asked SO to first stop on the bridge (on our way to the leopard sighting) and took a moment to photograph this lovely Giant Kingfisher (Reusevisvanger) :wink:

On our way back to Lower Sabie - saw this Hooded Vulture (Monnikaasvoel)

To be continued...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

anne-marie: I'm glad to hear that it's not just me "missing" the cheetahs on the S28... :wall: :slap: :lol:

Micetta: I went to go and have a look at Aat's thread (amazing what this guy does...) and I think I've got a name for our "skew toothed lady" - Makungwe! I'll post it on his thread later tonight - and just double check with him...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After Lower Sabie - one of my favourite spots in KNP - Sunset Dam. And today - it was teeming with wildlife and creating an atmosphere so typical to Kruger.

There were the usual Crocs and some Yellow-billed Storks (Nimmersat)

And of course the resident hippos. Then on the other side of the dam - the big herd of buffalo we had seen yesterday just South of Lower Sabie. It was really just a beautiful setting... :thumbs_up:

And then I spotted another interesting bird - yet another Lapwing first for us - this White-crowned Lapwing (Witkopkiewiet)

Just as we decided to move on from the dam, the herd of buffalo did the same! :roll: They were, however, crossing the road we wanted to continue on - and doing so in a very slow and irregular manner...

Decided to make the most of it and took a close up or two of them...

Eventually we decided to move on through the crossing herd - as they gave us a little opening to do so. Northwards - to Nkuhlu for breakfast!

Next sighting was another special bird sighting. At first we did not spot these birds ourselves, but another friendly man pointed them out to us. But once you saw them - you couldn't believe that you've missed them! :slap:

First up - a adult Verreaux's Eagle-Owl (Reuse-Ooruil)

And literally just about 60m on, a few trees down the road - a youngster!

So thusfar - we've had some ellies, rhino, the leopard being chased by baboons, and the BIG herd of buffalo.

The next sighting completed our big 5 for the day. And this time it was at least better than "just counting for nr 5". We saw the Lower Sabie pride - doing what they do best - lazing around in the Sabie riverbed.

This young male gave us an opportunity for a better pic when he got up for a bit:

And another pic - of one of the resting lionesses:

While SO was admiring his favourite animals, I started getting distracted by this little kingfisher flying around in the reeds between us and the lions. Now I'm not sure - is this a Brown-hooded Kingfisher (Bruinkopvisvanger) or a Striped Kingfisher (Gestreepte Visvanger)?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Always lovely Sunset Dam :thumbs_up: It is a Brown-headed kingfisher, the striped one does not have the blue on the wings :wink:

Great buff pic :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a lovely meal of pap-en-wors for me, and boerewors roll for SO at Nkuhlu (for which we had to wait a LOOOONG time), we continued North on the H4-1.

We saw this majestic Kudu bull:

A little further up the road - we saw a big congregation of vultures - sitting in trees and one or two visible in the bushes, feeding on a carcass. We couldn't really visualise the carcass, but boy - could we smell it... :whistle:

Most of them were White-backed Vultures (Witrugaasvoels)

But in the distance, in between all the White-backed's, we spotted one vulture that looked different - the White-headed Vulture (Witkopaasvoel)

(Not the best quality picture, though... :slap: )

It was becoming hot by now, and we decided to turn back via the Salitje Road (S30). We did not manage to see many animals. On our way back to Croc Bridge - we had very few sightings - probably due to the heat... :redface:

This zebra decided to pose for a pic:

As well as this Wahlberg's Eagle (Bruinarend):

About 5km before reaching camp, we saw 2 or 3 cars standing next to the road - admiring a wild dog! Poor thing - he was panting like you can't imagine - it was VERY hot!

After a while he got up, scratched around (probably to expose some cooler sand)...

...and then laid down again.

BEAUTIFUL! :clap:

So today not only the big five - but wild dog as well! :dance:

We returned to camp for a quick afternoon nap. And joining us in camp - Miss Piggy! Keeping the green grass in camp nice and trim!

To be continued, after the nap... Zzzzzzzz 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a short rest in camp, we decided to go for an afternoon drive. We've read that the drive up to Mpondo dam could be quite rewarding - so off we went!

In general the road was actually quiet. With Impalas and kudus featuring here and there. But the lovely view of the dam made the drive all worth it! It is a huge dam, with a lot of bird and animal life. Not the last time it saw me... :wink:

Some birdlife - a Black Crake (Swartriethaan):

and a Blacksmith Lapwing (Bontkiewiet):

A BIG Crocodile...

We also saw a family of at least 4 rhino's approaching from the distance and having a drink (too far for pictures...).

The road back to Croc Bridge produced a some nice bird sightings. There was one spot where there was a big "meeting" of raptors. We could not see or smell anything dead, but there was a congregation of all different kinds of raptors in one area.

Amongst them were this family of 2 Bateleurs with their young one (Berghaan):

And this lovley posing Tawny Eagle (Roofarend):

In another tree - some more Tawny's:

And still some more vultures in other trees (no good photo's)

Further on another chance to try and capture a majestic kudu bull

And this sighting - indicating that it was the END of the day... :wink:

Tonight -the proud winner in our game to see what the last sighting was before the gate - another stiff competition - but in the end the award went to....

.... the impalas! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oh - and I completely forgot to tell you... :slap:

As we headed back to Croc Bridge that afternoon late - we stopped to see the wild dog still lying under the same tree. Except that the one had now become two wild dogs. They were still huffing and puffing and panting - the temperatures had not come down enough for them to start going again!

And also at the wild dog sighting - Meandering Mouse with her Trusted Beauty and the two BV's! Lovely to have met you! :wink:

That night in camp - we had a lot of interesting sightings. There were some impala grazing along the fence as we arrived. Later on the resident hyenas came to do their rounds along the borderfence.

We were standing outside, enjoying our braai whilest keeping an eye on the fence... when all of the sudden we heard a big movement in the bush. The hyena had the fright of his life and ran away... I can only imagine - tail between the legs... :lol: This was the reason for his fright:

So in one evening - we had grazing impala, hyena and elephant along the border fence! Next thing I knew - there was yet another interesting creature in the bush, coming towards us - an interesting insect! Fireflies - haven't seen them since I was a little girl. I felt spoiled! :D

And it was not yet over. As I opened the cupboard door to get mugs for coffee - this little guy was sitting on one of the wine glasses. Too cute for words! I'm no reptile expert - so please help with an ID if you can...

I went to bed that night feeling so privelaged. Tomorrow we would leave to go home again. But Kruger had been treating us well so far... 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Our last morning in KNP arrived. We decided to go out on a morning drive and then go home after that. We were met by Dominique - who was our guide. And we were the only people on the drive! :big_eyes: Private and personal service indeed! 8)

My first big sighting for the morning - was a first for me: a porcupine! WOW - I was so happy! Unfortunately just after I spotted it, it ran into a culvert, and SO unfortunately never saw it... :slap:

We took the short drive down to the hippo pools - and saw a big group of hyena! The only sad part was that one of them had a snare around his head! :cry: It must have been very painful, and he was bleeding from it. His one ear was badly cut. Poor thing... :cry: :cry: :cry: Dominique said she would report it at reception. :rtm:

The light improved and I could get my :cam: out again. A lovely giraffe in golden morning light:

An immature Fish Eagle (Visarend) and immature Bateleur (Berghaan) sharing a tree:

Many ellies along the way - here is a little one - too cute:

And this one looked like she was crying...

Before we knew it, our drive was over...

We did not want to go home yet. We saw ellies and rhino on this drive, but our big five was not yet completed for the day. :naughty:

SO looked at me - "how about taking a drive up to Lower Sabie for breakfast, and then we'll go home?"

He did not even have to ask - the answer was a big "YES!" :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

So we decided to head North after our sunrise drive, and go to have breakfast at Lower Sabie before leaving the park.

First nice sighting - at Gesanftombi dam - Saddle-billed Storks (Saalbekooievaar). SO and I have yet to have a KNP visit without seeing these endangered birds.

Another nice bird sighting - White-crested Helmet Shrike (Withelmlaksman)

As we came closer to Lower Sabie, we saw a big traffic jam - the kind that are caused by leopards or lions... And then we saw it...

A leopard - another LIT! :dance: We waited a while and tried to move into a better space for a better pic, but it remained a difficult angle...

But good and nice leopard sighting still! We were already happy that we had decided to do a last drive up here.

Lower Sabie's deck was buzzing with people. It was another busy morning. We ordered our breakfast and starting waiting for the food. It was a rather long wait... :roll:

While we waited, I went to go and scan the riverbed. It is one of my favourite places, and you will always see something here. Today was no different. There were a few ellies walking through the river, splashing and enjoying the cool water as they went along. There were also buffaloes in the distance, having a drink.

While SO and I waited for our food, he also went to go and check the sightings board. As usual for the LS sightings board - it was full of sightings of all the cats and more! He overheard two of the private lodge guides chatting to each other about a sighting of a beautiful "Madondo" just across the bridge as you turn onto the S128. SO remembered the name... it was the ?Tsonga name for a big male lion..."The big man".

As already mentioned - SO LOOOOVES lions - and we decided to go check this sighting out and see if the big man was still there. And...

He looked familiar... We remembered going on a game drive with Martie in 2007 - we saw a lion mother with her young son lying in the Sabie Riverbed. The young lion just started developing a mane - but he had a very interesting looking mane - and because of his "hairdo" Martie aptly named him "Punk".

This could well be him. He had the exact hairdo, but was now well grown, and in exactly the same area as he was born. He seemed peaceful with all the human attention around him...

A BIG yawn...

After a while he got up, and just as the wild dog the previous day, scratched in the dirt, to reveal the underlying cooler soil, and lay down in it.

It was a lovely sighting. He was a beautiful young male - and he had beautiful eyes. He seemed so peaceful... but he was still a lion... 8)

So we saw the big 5 again this morning. What a great blessing - what a privelage. We drove back to Gauteng with our hearts lifted, our minds cleared. Kruger has worked it's magic on us... again! :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]